Because of the Night Ch. 13

Story Info
Asking questions of Sir Marcus, Sir Glen, and Mr. Leif.
3.2k words
4.65
8.4k
0

Part 13 of the 18 part series

Updated 10/26/2022
Created 09/03/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the gates to Sir Marcus's conclave the next afternoon, Taylor gulped wondering if Mr. Leif had come to return her to Sir Marcus. Not a word had come from Mr. Leif throughout the trip.

Initially flooded with horror wondering what she might have done recently to evoke Sir Glen's displeasure, she only calmed shortly as Mr. Leif took her hand and then drew up his hood. She reached into her gown and presented Mr. Leif with his gloves, again borrowed from Sir Glen himself.

Mr. Leif stepped out onto the gravel entryway first, helping Taylor follow him.

"I was wondering when I would see you Mr. Leif." Sir Marcus was at the top of the stairs leading to the entry, his cane in hand, and the wind seemed to whip his opened robes about him, alluding to the all mighty image that could only come with someone like Sir Marcus. Leif nearly jumped back into their transportation when he spoke, and after a moment, he steeled himself and turned.

"Thank you for meeting with us Sir Marcus."

"Come along, I imagine you wish to talk." Silently, Leif and Taylor followed Sir Marcus into his halls.

Once inside, Sir Marcus's voice dropped so that only Leif could hear.

"Take off that insipid hood Mr. Leif unless you are here to tell me you've returned to the Order." And, obediently, Leif complied. As brusque as the comment had been, Leif was surprised to see that Sir Marcus seemed to sympathize with Leif's misplacement in customs.

Sir Marcus then looked beyond Leif to address Taylor. "It is good to see you again Taylor. I trust there are no messages from Sir Glen?"

Taylor found her voice after an awkward moment. "None that I am aware of Sir Marcus."

"Good. Now I believe Mr. Leif and I have some business." A short nod came from Leif, wishing he could summon his voice, his mind still trying to arrange what he was going to say to Sir Marcus this afternoon.

He showed them into his private rooms off the main hall of his conclave, and immediately, the companions scattered seeing Sir Marcus enter. When it was clear that the room was empty of extra eyes, Sir Marcus offered Leif a seat.

"We'll cut to the chase Mr. Leif." Sir Marcus began candidly, "You're an honorable friend of Sir Glen's. I've been the victim, as have many of Sir Glen's friends have, of your exploits as a companion and as a member of the Order."

Sir Marcus turned with a twinkle in his eye. "I had hoped briefly, Taylor, that you would eventually serve me, but I think you're better suited for Mr. Leif. I think it's only fair after the grief he caused Sir Glen that he know how difficult a companion truly is."

"As long as you're willing to serve Mr. Leif in Sir Glen's conclave, I see no reason why you should not continue Taylor. I only expect Mr. Leif to remember all he owes the honor of seeing you by his side."

"Now, Taylor, leave us for a moment, Yvonne, my senior companion should be just outside the door there, and probably deserves a scolding for pressing an ear to that door. She'll show you to the dining hall. We'll meet you there shortly." His voice rose, and there was a hushed yelp from the other side of the door to prove he was correct.

Taylor looked to Leif briefly, and he nodded. Taylor floated out of the room, with both pairs of eyes on her as she left. Leif swallowed, the trembling not quite subsiding from the rush of being here before Sir Marcus, and the relief of his permission, if not his complete approval had not quite entirely sunk in."

With the door closing behind Taylor, Sir Marcus intoned, "Patience and courage Mr. Leif. Those are the two precepts that precede every companion's journey. For every turn, fall, and rise, they respond in varying degrees."

He turned his complete attention back to Leif. He poured two cups of water from the tray that was on his left. As he did so, he addressed Leif. "Sir Glen didn't tell me what occurred the other night, and I can only guess. But if the Order is at the root of the problem Mr. Leif, know that you will find the same hospitality here under my roof as that at Sir Glen's. Taylor needs you to remember only two things: yourself and her. If you wish, you can always come here."

"Thank you Sir Marcus. I am quite honored." Leif accepted the cup.

"As you should be. Sir Glen just wouldn't choose anybody to rise from the ranks of his Order, those fools the other night will never understand. It will be just as he was selected. In due time Mr. Leif, you will prove Sir Glen right." Sir Marcus drank, as did Leif, Leif's heart thundering in his ears.

Leif processed the bit of information that had been given to him. "How many are allowed to rise from the Order?"

"Each conclave is allowed only one. I have yet to find mine, but even Lady Daire would joke that Sir Glen thought he was exempt from death. It wasn't until you came along Mr. Leif. It only goes to prove that Sir Glen is the best leader that many have seen in a long time."

"Chosen to succeed in the conclave?"

"Not always, but we can deal with that bridge if it ever comes to pass. Now I believe there is a grand meal waiting." Sir Marcus clapped Mr. Leif on the shoulder and led him out, Leif brimming with questions, unsure if he could ask them here, and quite unsure if he should ask them at all.

"Before we go Sir Marcus, I want to know one more thing, if I may?" Leif's voice spoke, though his mind questioned its motives.

"Certainly Mr. Leif." Sir Marcus turned and looked at Leif, pushing away the image of Leif as the bratty leader of Sir Glen's order.

"What are your plans for Taylor?"

"I know you gave her a token of your honor Mr. Leif. I should ask you the same question." With a rye smile Sir Marcus returned to his seat and Leif followed.

"I've not been ignoring her, I want that made clear. Sir Glen took her because he is a dear friend of mine and he knows how to reach companions in a way I may never learn no matter how long I continue. But she is entirely my responsibility. If you hadn't chosen her to be your companion that night weeks ago, she would have already returned and been a free companion here in my halls." Began Sir Marcus, opening his robes, and settling in for a long conversation.

"Taylor would have served as I directed until I found her either appealing to be bound to, or simply someone came as an appropriate match. You know first hand Mr. Leif, I do not differ that much from Sir Glen's teachings."

Leif nodded.

"But for now, as long as you desire her company, you may have Taylor as your companion. Learn from her, teach her: grow with her. And we'll see in due time Mr. Leif what Taylor becomes."

-And what I become.- Leif locked eyes with Sir Marcus.

"You're not as far from all the secretes you need to know Mr. Leif. If you stay and finish, I'm certain that Lord Xavier will be bestowing your titles to you within a few months, that is if you wish it."

Leif shook his head. "I've not spoken about that with Sir Glen, nor have I thought that far."

"Then again, I know Mr. Conner is very happy as neither. The choice is yours Leif, eventually you will be expected to choose."

"I chose to leave Sir Marcus, I've almost no reason to continue to stay."

"But was there reason to stay outside Mr. Leif?"

Leif shook his head. "Outside Sir Marcus is uncompromising. The only thing worth gaining is the loss of self. I wandered aimlessly, and nothing appealed. I foolishly thought I could return to Sir Glen without time passing. Time has passed, and I know there are other places Sir Glen needs his attentions."

"Tell me about what you think about when I mention Taylor?"

"She is truly a gift. I hope she finds someone to bind to that is honorable and patient. She still has a lot to learn."

"Did you know I was in the voyeur cell the night you helped Taylor cross out of being a novice?"

Leif paled looking a bit startled as he allowed the question to sink in. "No, I didn't."

"You are destined to become a true companion Leif. We've known that since the moment you left. You have brought Taylor to places and helped her cross beyond that of a novice. I could not do that for her simply because I could not love all of her. Even as skilled as Sir Glen is, he could not take her much further."

Leif shook his head. "You're wrong Sir Marcus. For all we know I could be fooling myself, as I did when I was outside. I only..."

Sir Marcus cut him off. "When are you going to realize that this life is only another part of yourself Leif?" Sir Marcus's voice was sympathetic, but urgent. "At the base of all we are Leif: we love. Without it all we accomplish is nearly impossible. Taylor has to love you to be your companion, and you have to love her to test her limits as well as yours. The trust came first, true, but it's love that keeps you both coming back for more. She's all you want, and when you're alone after taking both of you to the edge of all your experiences, you find that love. Don't let it die Leif: control it, nurture it as you only know how to."

"Listen to yourself Mr. Leif. You know the answer for both of you right at this very instant." And with the next breath, full of laughter, Sir Marcus announced, "And that answer is for us to join Taylor and Yvonne at a meal before you and Taylor return to Sir Glen's conclave."

On the journey back to Sir Glen, Taylor once again found the silence of Mr. Leif puzzling. She had suppressed the overwhelming urge to run around and should with joy when Sir Marcus gave his permission for Taylor to remain with Leif. His permission now permitted Leif to take Taylor to other functions outside of Sir Glen's conclave.

Sitting across form her, however, was the same brooding man she had tempered these past weeks. Thoroughly discouraged, Taylor drummed up the courage to speak.

"Have I done something to displease you?" she asked timidly.

The question jarred Leif mid thought drenched in self-doubt. "No, not at all." He was forced to look at her, to assess how she had come to that conclusion, alarmed that she might find something wrong.

She sat innocently looking ever so tempting to ravish in the airy translucent gown. But sitting there alone she also had the appearance of shattering the instant a scathing word or stern look came her direction. Wanting to avoid an irreparable mess, he held his hand out, opening himself to have her join him by his side.

"No Taylor, it has nothing to do with you at all. I'm sorry you're not used to having someone terribly introspective. I suppose it is my worse fault." He hugged her to his side.

"Tell me, share your thoughts with me." She pleaded softly to him, mildly aware that as she pressed against him, her body's adjacency to his was causing him some relief from his troubled mind.

He shook his head. "I'm afraid I've seen more sides to this story than I care to right now." He sighed and rested his head on hers.

Her voice trembled. "Sir Glen told you that I was from Sir Marcus's care, did Sir Marcus tell you from whom he acquired me?"

"No. Sir Marcus didn't but it doesn't matter to me anyway." Leif was grateful for the moment to lie truthfully.

It didn't matter that Sir Colin had misdirected their lives so many years ago. The past was only reasoning for their present and had minimal bearing on their future.

The brief memory of the jaded soul that Sir Colin had been set Leif's jaw on edge. He had known that there was a time, no matter how short, that Sir Colin had been as honest as Sir Glen or even Sir Marcus. Leif had to convince himself of that fact. Sir Colin was Lord Xavier's closest confidant, and many of Sir Colin's finest had been trained for Lord Xavier.

Lord Xavier was a leader that one could not think poorly of. He had become widely known as a skilled artist, with the deep-rooted thoughtful and imaginative persona when it came to pleasure and pain of his companions. One could hardly believe that he was responsible for posting Sir Colin to his conclave. All those Lord Xavier posted shared his ideals, much like Sir Glen. Methodology, however, was personal. Lord Xavier would not tread there ever.

The vast differences were not lost on Leif. What Sir Colin had believed was disobedience, Sir Glen saw a companion in need of moderate structure. And when it had become clear that Leif had been put on the wrong path, Sir Glen had righted that mistake.

Sir Colin had become so blinded in his own misery he had blamed his companions. No one had been spared in the conclave that Leif had started in, all had suffered his unfounded accusations and punished in Sir Colin's untamed manner.

Leif quietly reminded himself that those days were over and long gone. He swallowed hard and closed his eyes.

"Mr. Leif are you all right?" Taylor jolted him out of his shuddering memories of darkness and pleas of mercy that fell on deaf ears. She touched his cheek softly.

"Tell me where you were, come back from there." She whispered softly.

Leif opened his eyes and kissed her cheek. "I'm already back." He forced a smile pushed a stray hair out of her face.

"We're home." Leif announced, realizing that there was a bit of relief in sight.

Returning to the welcoming gates of Sir Glen's home, Leif stared at the front façade wondering what was really going on. Mindlessly, he helped Taylor out of their transportation.

"Mr. Leif?" She looked to him, hoping to find what had distracted him since they had been at Sir Marcus's.

"No, go ahead Taylor, I need to wander a bit." Leif pulled away, leaving Taylor in the yellowed light from the house. She watched him disappear into the dark landscaping before climbing into the house.

Leif climbed all over the estate, finally settling in peace on a bench in the orchard looking back at the conclave. Flopping into the bench, he opened his robe and ran his hands through his hair.

Unsorted phrases echoed in his mind's eye clouding his perception of his surroundings. He hadn't heard the stick snap behind him, nor the rustling of the bushes.

"You really shouldn't be on the premise alone Mr. Leif." Sir Glen's patient voice startled Leif. "I'm sorry to have startled you, but I wanted to come speak with you."

"She's crying to Laurie isn't she?" Leif asked guiltily looking at Sir Glen in the eye as he joined him on the bench. His fingers laced for a moment then exploded apart searching to find the one place that would help him avoid the millions of questions that danced around in the moonlight.

"Among other things, yes. You should really brood with her, and not leave her to her fears. But I believe Sir Marcus said more than he should have. Am I wrong?"

Leif's eyes narrowed briefly. "You should have told me your intentions when you removed me from your Order."

"Leif, just because I used my one choice to rise from the Order, doesn't mean I meant for you to entirely follow in my footsteps."

"It's hard to believe that after speaking with Sir Marcus today." Leif whirled off the bench and stood squarely in front of Sir Glen, crossing his arms.

Sir Glen was as quick to his feet, stepping toe to toe with Leif. His words though eloquent were clipped and dripped with anger. "Sir Marcus wasn't your companion. I was. If it were your path to follow me, it would have been clearer to you. I will choose my successor, no one else. And for the time being there is no one, not even you. I carry a noble burden Mr. Leif and no one who isn't worthy, or ready shall ever have my place. Who I groom and why I choose them is for no one to question, judge or infer."

For a few moments, as the confusion cooled off in the night air and the crickets chirped nervously of peace. Locked eye to eye, Leif's shoulder slumped in acquiescence.

"Have figured out what you'd like to do next with Taylor? I'm sure she's more than willing." The olive branch came from Sir Glen as he resettled on the bench.

"It's not a matter of what but simply 'when'." Leif said with a bit of a smirk sitting besides him.

"I'd take advantage of the opportunity at hand Mr. Leif." Sir Glen stood up, leaning on his cane. "Among other things patience only last so long. Her fortitude has worn Mr. Leif, it's time you show her who you truly are."

And with that, Sir Glen disappeared into the orchard.

Taylor sat in the wingback chair next to the fire, curled up waiting for Mr. Leif to return. Her eyes had dried, but they were still tender and puffy. Guilt surged through Leif as he watched her from the doorway.

He shut the door, startling her to slip from her seat to help him.

"No, don't move, stay there." He pulled off his own robes and tossed them into a heap on the floor. He knelt before the chest at the foot of his bed with his meager possessions that were found on him when he had first returned to Sir Glen's home. He found beaten, water-stained brown leather bound book in the bottom and pulled it out.

"I was difficult to reach when I first came to Sir Glen. I suppose that some things never change. He gave me this journal to help him trip his way around helping me. I'm not great at asking questions Taylor, but if there's anything you can't ever get a moment to ask me directly, please write it in here, leave it on the chest here for me to find."

"I care Taylor, though I'm lousy at letting you know. I want to be able to know I can help you learn as much as you can." Leif scratched the back of his head wishing she'd stop looking at him as if he had lost his head. He held out the book to Taylor who took it and ran her finger over the tattered cover.

"Thank you."

"I don't know about you, but I would like to put today behind us and concentrate on the plans I have for us tomorrow." He kissed her neck softly.

She looked to him expectantly. "Ah, not now little one. It is a surprise for us to share tomorrow. For now, read what I've written, and think about everything you need to ask." He drew her attention back to the book.