Best Friends

Story Info
How close should best friends be?
3.4k words
4.15
194k
104
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
javmor79
javmor79
2,284 Followers

Author's notes:

This is a quick little flash story that I thought of while talking with a friend. I am working on the sequel to "Imbalance", but that is taking a while. It is almost finished, but will at least be a couple more weeks. Real life has a habit of getting in the way. This one was something I was able to bang out in a single afternoon.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Thank you all for reading.

*****

Something is all wrong. I can feel it. The air is thick around me with all of the things that are out of alignment. It is suffocating me, choking the breath from my very lungs.

Perhaps I am overreacting. That is what I'm told. Maybe my personal biases and backwards thinking is causing me to see things that aren't there. Or not see things that are there. I don't know. All I know is that I feel like I've just been handed a shit sandwich with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes, and was told that it was a Quarter Pounder.

Mmmm. Isn't that a good burger, Paul?

No asshole. It's shit.

My wife and her best friend are sitting with me in this crowded restaurant. As usual, they are sharing a secret that I'm not let in on. The subtle glances that they are throwing at each other when they think that I'm not looking tell a story that their mouths aren't saying.

As irritating as it is, this happens a lot. But for some reason, today seems different. There is something else in the air. I don't know why I feel that way, but I do.

They've known each other since they were children. Best friends since junior high. They both joined the cheerleading squad at the same time and have been inseparable since. Even after they graduated from high school and went their separate ways to college, they remained close.

Their relationship has always irritated me. I know that it's irrational. I never set out to be that guy who tells his wife who she can and can't be friends with. I don't own her. We're partners, not master and slave.

But still, she chose me. For better or worse. Til death do us part. We are joined for life. If there is an aspect of their friendship that I'm not comfortable with, it should be at least dealt with. Not brushed under the rug.

But that's what she does. She says that I'm blowing things all out of proportion. I'm overreacting. Her family tells me the same thing.

"Paul, you have to understand..." they tell me. "He is like a brother to Ci Ci."

Yeah, you heard me right. Like a brother. As in, her best friend is a male.

Of course, you are likely doing what everyone else does. They look at the fact that he was a cheerleader, and assume that he's gay, and that I have nothing to worry about. Wrong.

Gary (her best friend) is 100% straight. In high school, he fucked more cheerleaders than the quarterback. He has seen all of them naked at one time or another. He was always at the bottom of the pyramid, which means that he spent most of his time looking up at asses. And grabbing them. He had to make sure that he properly gripped them to keep them from falling. If this meant that he had to hold extra tight onto a soft pair of cheeks, then by golly, that's what he had to do!

My wife thinks this is hilarious. The fact that he used his intimate knowledge of the women on the squad to bed most of the girls in school is like a running joke between them two. She'll tell him how disgusting he is all the while giggling uncontrollably.

I know that most of you are asking the million dollar question. I can already hear it. I've asked that question hundreds of times. I'll give you the same answer that I was given.

No.

According to them, Gary and my wife have never gone "all the way". But doesn't this bring up a bunch of other questions? For instance, what the fuck does that mean? What is "all the way"? If they didn't go all the way, how far is part of the way? Isn't that what's insinuated? Part of the way means that SOMETHING happened.

Asking these questions makes me look like an insecure ass. People look at me with a "really dude?" look and shake their heads. I have never gotten a straight answer, at least one that has fully satisfied me.

This has always been a point of contention between us. I love Ci Ci. I trust her. But this nagging sense of uncertainty has always been present.

She has tried to get me past it. She is always dragging me on these couple's dates with Gary and his wife. Oh yes. I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that. He's married. Another reason why I should "relax".

Anyways, Ciara (Ci Ci) has always tried to bridge this gap between Gary and me. I know that she wants us to be friends. And honestly, I could see Gary trying. So I let my guard down and relaxed a bit. The problem is, we have nothing in common. He doesn't watch sports, doesn't work with his hands, and never wants to do anything that could make him break a sweat. My hobbies include going to the gym, working on my car, and bowling. He enjoys things like dancing, roller skating, and "window shopping".

I know. Sounds gay. I can see he has you fooled too.

Try as I might, I just can't bond with Gary. He and I realized this a while back, and we stopped trying. We are cordial to one another, but neither of us like to be dragged out and made to hang out with each other for the sake of my wife. We just don't have the heart to tell her.

So whenever I can, I find reasons why I can't make it to hang out with the four of us. Ci Ci used to get disappointed whenever I flaked out. After a while though, it became the new norm. Over the years, she would still ask me to come, and let me know that I was welcome, but she really didn't expect me to show up.

Today, I decided to hang out with them when she invited me to go to lunch with Gary and his wife. When I accepted, she seemed pleasantly surprised. But she also seemed a little bit nervous.

When we first arrived at the restaurant, we were earlier than Gary and his wife, so we were seated in a booth for four. About 10 minutes later, Gary showed up. Without his wife. He came over to the booth all smiles. When he saw that I was there, his smile became less genuine and more forced.

I could sense the change in temperature. Ci Ci also seemed more anxious than usual. She was talking a lot, but nothing of worth was coming out. It is more like an attempt to close out the awkward silences than it is a flowing conversation.

Now, the uncomfortable atmosphere has me on high alert. My senses are tuned. I am acutely aware of everything, including the furtive glances that they are trying to subtly throw back and forth. There is something else there.

When we leave the restaurant, I am unable to focus. As we walk to the car, my mind is split in every different direction. Ci Ci is still extra talkative, all the while not saying a goddamn thing. This is becoming really annoying.

"What is going on with you and Gary?" I ask her suddenly, cutting through her pointless sea of useless words. She stops and looks at me with her mouth gaped open in surprise.

I know you guys are livid with me at this point. I broke rule number one for suspecting your wife of cheating. At this point, I am supposed to pretend that all is well, while secretly getting in touch with a P.I. Then, while he is investigating my wife, I am supposed to lull her into a false sense of security so that she drops her guard and makes a mistake.

Fuck that shit.

"Paul, what are you talking about?" She asks me. I will give her this. She actually looks genuinely confused.

"I'm talking about you and Gary. What's going on?"

"Paul, you aren't making any sense."

"Okay..." I say as I stop walking. "Let me ask you in simpler terms. Are you fucking Gary?"

"WHAT?!" She gasps, completely appalled. "Fucking Gary? Are you insane?"

I'll admit it. Her complete shock at the thought of her and Gary does set my mind at ease. A little. But I know I'm not seeing things here.

"If you aren't fucking Gary, then fine. But something is going on. I need you to level with me and tell me just what the fuck it is."

Ci Ci shakes her head and starts walking ahead of me. I stride faster to catch up with her. When I am at her side, she says, "I can't tell you Paul. Don't ask."

"Wait a minute. You have something that you can't tell me? Your husband? But you have no problem telling Gary."

"Paul..." She whines, as if begging me to stop this conversation.

"No. Don't Paul me. Answer me. You can tell Gary, but you can't tell me."

"You don't understand honey." She says cryptically as she softly grabs my hand. This is a soothing tactic that she uses when she wants me to calm down. I shake it loose and wait for her to elaborate, but she doesn't.

"Ciara, you better tell me something!" I say forcefully. She looks at me with wide eyes, like she always does when I use her full name. Then, her face looks defeated as she blows out a breath in exasperation.

"Paul, it's not my secret to tell." She says softly. I'm still not giving her any room, so she finally concedes. "Gary is cheating on his wife."

"What?"

"Yeah." She says as she nods. "He told me not to tell anyone. Even you."

I almost breath a sigh of relief. But then my mind starts churning with other thoughts.

"So, he is cheating on his wife, and you are helping him cover it up? Is that right?"

She nods her head again. "But you can't say anything to him. I promised that I wouldn't tell you."

By this time were are standing by the car, so I unlock the door and open it to let her inside. When she is seated, I go around to the other side and let myself in.

"Promise me Paul. Promise me you won't say anything."

I don't answer her as I start the car up. After I pulled out into traffic, she once again implored me to not say anything.

Honestly, I could care less about Gary cheating on his wife. That's his business. If he wants to throw away his marriage, fuck 'em. My concern is the fact that my wife not only knows about it, but is helping him do it.

"So, he is cheating, and you are helping him?" I repeat, carefully emphasizing the words that I want her to pay attention to. By now, I think she sees the implications of what I am saying and starts backtracking.

"Well, I'm not exactly helping him do it. I'm just there for him to talk to. That's all."

"About cheating?"

"About everything."

"Including cheating on his wife. Right?"

I can see her growing frustration with the continuous loop that this conversation is going through. So am I. I think I have more of a right to it. I'm the one in the dark here. The only reason for this loop is the fact that she wants to play word games instead of just telling me the truth.

"Paul, why are you interrogating me? I'm not the one who is cheating?"

You see. Right there. Another ploy at misdirection. She didn't even answer the question. She can't say, "Yes, I am helping my best friend cheat on his wife." Instead, she has to try to gaslight me, and make me out to be some crazy mother fucker who is always overreacting.

I'm not overreacting, goddamit!

I have a half a mind to drop it here. The pure aggravation alone makes it not worth it. But I refuse to be thrown off track by her word games. This is a normal tactic of hers. It's actually pretty effective. But not today. I will not be denied today!

I quickly jerk the car over and screech into an impromptu parking space. Then I put it in park and kill the engine.

"Paul, what the hell?!"

"Ci Ci, I'm not playing with you. Give me some straight answers. We aren't pulling off until you do."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" She yells at me. I take the keys out of the ignition and put them in my pocket. Useless gesture, I know, but it makes my point quite clearly. She sits there, staring at me with unbelieving eyes as the seconds ticked by.

"God, you're an asshole!" She finally yells as she crosses her arms and pouts. I simply sit there, waiting. I'm not going to let her detract this conversation with anymore half assed answers to my questions. I sit back and lean my head against the headrest.

"Fine! He's cheating on Cynthia with someone from his office. He told me that he feels bad about it, but he can't stop. This new woman makes him feel alive. She listens to him and gets him in ways that Cynthia just can't understand. You happy now?"

"Sooo, where do you come in? Do you give him alibis? Do sit and listen to the play by play of his sexual gymnastics? What do you do for him that makes him feel okay to come and talk to you about it?"

"I'm just there to listen Paul. That's all. You should try it sometime."

I think on that for a few minutes. Then, with a nod, I start the engine back up and drive off.

"Do you think what he is doing is wrong?" I ask after a moment of silent driving.

"I guess. But I don't judge him for it."

"So, you don't tell him to talk to his wife? You don't tell him that cheating on her is wrong? You just sit there and giggle with him about all of the nasty things that he does with this other woman. Am I right?"

She just shakes her head. "You see? That's why I didn't wanna tell you. You are so quick to judge people."

"Really? Telling your best friend that he is wrong for cheating on his wife is judgmental?"

She grunts out a groan that is pure annoyance. "It's not that. It's your attitude. You are so holier than thou. You already don't like Gary. Why would I tell you something that would make you not like him even further? You won't even try to understand where he is coming from."

"Where he is coming from? HE IS CHEATING ON HIS WIFE! Who the fuck cares where Mr. Cheerleader is coming from?" I bellow. How the fuck does she not see this?

She just huffs, shakes her head, and looks out of the window. No more words are said for the rest of the drive home.

The air is cold in my house for the rest of the day, and I'm not talking about the AC. Ci Ci stalks around me, purposely ignoring me. This puts me off a lot, and in return, I don't try to engage her. Luckily for me, today is Sunday. Sunday means football. This allows me to not even care about the fact that she is giving me the cold shoulder.

Later on in bed, she continues her protest. When she comes out of the bathroom after her shower, she is wearing her baggy "No sex for you" t-shirt and her "don't even think about it" sweatpants. When she gets in the bed, she rolls over so that she is facing away from me.

We sit in the darkened silence for a minute. Each of us are trying to out-quiet the other person. Finally, I have enough. I have to raise a question that has been bugging me all day.

"Ci Ci, if I were cheating on you..."

Before I can finish, she instantly whips herself around to face me. The movement is so quick, so sudden, that the comforter is yanked from around me. Her face is a mask of anger.

"If I were cheating on you..." I continue. "Would you want Mike (my best friend) to be as cavalier about as you're being? Wouldn't you want him to tell me how wrong it is? Or would you want him to sit there, sharing stories with me?"

I see her eyes start to well up with tears. But she doesn't relent. "That's not what I do Paul. I told you. I just listen. He's my best friend. I'm not going to judge him, just like Mike wouldn't judge you. Besides, I would hope that Mike would at least try to find out why you feel the need to cheat. That is what I would want to know. Why. I would want to know where I'm failing you, so that I could fix it. Wouldn't you want to know that?"

"I guess." I relent.

I finally give up. I have to accept the fact that we aren't going to see eye to eye on this one. Besides, I'm not going to let Gary's cheating get in the way of me and my wife. It's already cost us a day together. We could have spent today having fun. Instead, I watched every game that I could find, and she did whatever. Now, I'm not getting any sex.

"Look Ci Ci, I'm sorry. Okay. I still think that it sucks, and I don't like it that you seem to be okay with your best friend cheating, but I'm not going to hold you accountable for it. Can we please end this cold war?"

Her eyes glisten up with more tears, and she nods. "Okay. I'm sorry. You're right. We shouldn't be fighting."

She comes over to my side of the bed, and wraps her arms around me. We kiss a deep, passionate kiss. This kiss was both a white flag of surrender and an apology. It was also laced with promise. Promise of love and understanding. Even though we fight and disagree, we were still lovers and spouses.

"I love you Ci Ci." I say as my hands find the waistband of her sweat pants. She doesn't stop me from slowly pulling them down. In fact, she lifts her hips up to assist me.

"I love you too Paul." She says after I get her pants off. Her eyes are brimming with fresh tears. "Don't you ever forget that. You hear me?"

"I hear you. I hear you."

We make sweet love. It is one of those great sessions. You married people know what I'm talking about. Every once in a while, you and your wife have that kind of vigorous, energetic sex. The kind of sex that you have when you just can't get enough of each other. It just makes you explode when it is time for you to come.

I love my wife, and I'm not going to let Gary, or anyone else get in the way of that.

***

THE NEXT DAY:

I get in the door and kiss my wife before heading to the bedroom to take off my work clothes for the day. As I'm in there, I see her phone on the nightstand light up as it starts vibrating. At first I pay it no mind, but curiosity gets the best of me.

My wife has her phone locked, but she has it so that when she gets a text, it will show it on the screen. She can't respond to it until she opens her phone up, but she can read it. On that note, so can I.

What I read confused me at first. However, pieces started falling into place and making much more sense. When full realization set in, I was livid. Boiling hot magma livid.

The text was from Gary, and it said:

Glad u finally ended affair. Wasn't good for u. Ur husband is a gr8 guy. He doesn't deserve that. Besides, u know I can't keep a secret!

What the fuck?

"CIARA!"

javmor79
javmor79
2,284 Followers