Between the Were Wars Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gila Pack Hospital

New Mexico

The guard stuck his head in. "They are just pulling in now, Alpha. All Pack personnel not involved are in or near the safe room."

Renee thanked him, then raised the hospital bed to its max. "Derek, can you help me with some pillows? I need to be able to see everyone easily." He pulled her forward gently and they got enough behind her she could be comfortable. "I want you beside my bed the whole time, between me and Marcus. William Post can be behind the bed up by me. I want the Council in chairs on both sides of the bed, and leave room for Marcus and his men below the TV there."

"Of course, sis, there is no way I'd let him get close to you. I just wish we hadn't promised him safety, I'd like to rip him apart with my bare hands just for being an asshole."

"Get in line." She grimaced a bit, causing him to rush to her side. "Don't worry about it, Braxton-Hicks contraction. Doc says I'm fine and the monitors are being watched in his office so we aren't disturbed."

As if he was listening, Doc came into the room and glared at her. "Alpha, you know I don't agree with you having this hearing now." Renee glared back. "You will need to remain calm and avoid sudden movements, you are doing much better but I don't want any setbacks. If I see you are becoming stressed I'll stop this whether you like it or not."

Renee placed both her hands over her large belly. "As if I'd do anything to endanger my babies. I'll keep this hearing short and sweet. Worst case, we lose some money. I just want it over with so I can get him the hell off our land."

Derek took Doc by the shoulder and led him back out. "I'll watch out for her, and I'll shut it down before you do if I have to. You can talk to her guards and they can link to me if her walls are up." While they were talking, chairs were quickly set up per the Alpha's instructions. Snacks and drinks were set on a side table just in time for the group to come in.

"Elder Grey, welcome to the Gila Pack." Renee smiled broadly as the distinguished looking man arrived at her bedside, grasping her hands in greeting.

"Thank you, Alpha Hastings. May I introduce the other two elders for this hearing, Theodore Grimley and Rufus Washington." Renee greeted the two and motioned for the seats along each side of the bed; the court reporter had already sat down and was setting up. "And this is Alpha Marcus Diggs of the Tahoe Pack, and his Beta Don Gillette."

Renee nodded politely at the two, but the resentment was clear in her eyes as she motioned them to the chairs across from her. "With me is my brother and second, Derek Johnson, and my Pack Counsel, William Post." After all the pleasantries were accomplished, Renee looked at Elder Grey. "Elders, I thank you for coming and hope you understand that with everything going on in my life right now, I just want to get this hearing done and take a nap."

The elders chuckled, so Elder Grey started. "The purpose of this hearing is to hear testimony related to an appeal on the Alpha challenge between Alpha Renee Hastings, then of the Santa Fe pack, and Alpha Stanley Diggs of the Crested Butte pack. Since Alpha Stanley died in the challenge, his brother Marcus Diggs of the Tahoe pack has claimed blood right for the challenge. As the appellant, Alpha Diggs will present his case followed by Alpha Hastings. The opposing party and then the elders will then be able to ask questions of either party, and then we will deliberate and decide. A majority vote, not unanimous, is required as the decision involves Pack property. Are there any questions?" Both parties indicated no. "Very well, Alpha Diggs, the floor is yours."

"Thank you Elders. My petition is simple. My brother was involved in an Alpha challenge that ends only in the death or submission of one party. Prior to this result, one of the Santa Fe pack members attacked my brother without warning or provocation. At this point, Alpha Hastings by rule should have lost by default and my brother should have become the new Alpha of the Santa Fe pack, with control of all Pack assets." His Beta had put in a DVD of the fight, it had been broadcast on live TV so all had seen it.

"Elder Grey, you can understand that I don't wish to revisit the courageous exploits of his brother in that circle, since it was at my expense. With your permission, let's just skip to the part he's talking about." Renee's irritation was starting to show through, and she knew she wouldn't be able to watch much of that tape without losing her lunch. Getting torn apart slowly and without resistance wasn't a time she wanted to repeat. They watched as Kevin charged into the ring where Stanley had been standing over a badly bleeding Renee. The interference was momentary, the young man was quickly killed and the playback was stopped where Wendy ran into the ring to be with her mate.

"It's clear interference in a challenge. Since Alpha Renee did not die, but was defeated, all Pack assets should be transferred to the estate of Alpha Stanley Diggs, and as his beneficiary in his will, to me." He sat down, his pleasure at sticking it to Renee clear to everyone.

The elders had no questions, so Elder Grey motioned for Renee to start. Instead, William Post stepped forward. "Alpha Diggs, we have a few questions about the challenge for you. Can you continue the video please?" Playback restarted with Diggs tearing the dress off a crying Wendy and thrusting himself into her. When Renee tore his throat out, he paused the video, the arch of blood from his neck frozen on the screen. "Your brother was not harmed by the interference, in fact he dealt with it and was uninjured when he changed to human form, is that correct?"

"I don't see where that matters, human." A glare from the Elders caused him to look back at William with contempt. "Yes, he was not injured. But that doesn't matter..."

"Please, answer my questions only. You agree the interference caused him no harm."

"Yes." Marcus sat back, seething.

"It is clear on the video that he was so unconcerned with the threat from Renee that he changed back to human form and took the time to rape a former Pack member over the body of the mate he had just killed. Why did he do that instead of protesting the interference? Or just go back over to Renee and finish her off?"

"I don't know. I didn't get a chance to ask him. The bitch jumped him."

"As you said, the challenge only ended in death or submission, neither of which had occurred, so it seems his inattention was foolish and led to his defeat. Maybe if he wasn't a punk-ass rapist he'd still be alive."

Marcus jumped to his feet, and immediately the Elders formed a barrier between him and William. Elder Grey looked at William and motioned him to stop. "I'm warning all of you, this is a hearing not a fight club. You are going to treat this hearing and the people in this room with respect, am I understood?" Marcus was pulled back to his chair by his Beta, still upset at the slight.

"My apologies Marcus, and Elders. Now, my second question is, under whose rules did this Alpha challenge occur?"

Marcus looked at his Beta, and the Elders looked at each other. Finally, Marcus spoke up. "Rules for Alpha challenges are traditional, it doesn't matter."

Elder Washington looked at both parties. "That is not true. The laws of the Pack land it is held on normally apply, but in this case the Wolfstock celebration was held on neutral ground. In that case, the challenge is done under the Pack rules of the challenged Alpha."

William smiled and pulled out a folder with copies, and handed them out to the Elders and Marcus. "These are the rules of the Santa Fe pack, as documented on the Pack scrolls. The last change was in March two years ago, prior to Alpha Hastings taking over that Pack. If I may, I'll read the highlighted portion. 'In the event of a dispute, Pack Elders will rule on the dispute immediately. Once the parties have left the Circle, the results are final.' Council members, there is nothing to rule on here. Alpha Diggs is not allowed to challenge the result, and should go home with his tail between his legs and concentrate on running his own Pack. We have no further questions or evidence to present."

"Alpha Diggs, any questions?" He shook his head no.

"Very well, the Council will retire to another room to deliberate. Alpha Diggs, why don't you take a break outside, we will let you know when we've reached a ruling." Diggs stormed out, slamming the door, as Derek started to laugh. The elders were right behind him, and one of her personal guard closed the door behind them and stood in front of it.

"That was beautiful, William. Renee, that was a stroke of genius leaving the arguments to him, the burn was even worse with a human doing it." Derek looked at Renee, who was obviously tired. "Let's leave her alone for a bit, maybe she can get a nap in before the decision is handed down." They had just said their goodbyes when the Elders returned to the room with Marcus in tow.

"Don't bother getting up, this won't take long. The petition has been denied based on lack of jurisdiction under the challenge rules of the Santa Fe pack."

Renee let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Elders, for your time. Please escort them off my lands."

Marcus surged forward, only to be held back by his beta. "You BITCH! I'm going to..."

"LEAVE. While the offer of safe passage still stands." Derek started down Marcus, the tension in the room rising as William stood next to him. William crossed his arms behind his back and stared him down as well. Beta Don put his hand on his Alphas' shoulder, gently moving him towards the door as he fought to resist the change. A few seconds later and they were gone, the door closed and guarded.

Derek looked over at William with shock on his face. "Counselor, you should know better than to get in the middle of a werewolf fight when you're a human."

William smiled and slowly moved his right hand out from behind his back, bringing with it a large Bowie knife coated in pure silver. "I may be human, but I'm a former Army officer and I'm far from helpless. Do you think my only preparation for this job was researching the law?" He put the knife back, and pulled his jacket aside to show the Glock under his suit jacket. "I couldn't show fear, bullies smell that and see it as permission."

Renee chuckled behind them. "You're just what I need in my Pack, William. I need to find you a woman so you settle down here."

Now it was William's turn to be shocked. "Yeah, like that will happen. No offense, but I've been around long enough to know that mates are a pipe dream, I'll settle for someone who will put up with an old soldier like me."

Before Renee could react, the door opened again and Alpha Merino poked his head in. "Alpha Johnson, we could use your help in the detainment cell. The FBI agent who was scratched is coming out of her sedation and is showing the early signs of a turn." Derek kissed his sister goodbye, and went to follow him out only to find William also leaving.

"William, you need to stay here. Newly turned Weres are unstable, and we can't have a human in the room."

William put his hand on his shoulder. "I need to be there; this turn has significant legal implications, both for Alpha Hastings and for this Pack. I need to record the events and ensure we don't incur any additional liability when this is all over with."

Derek paused for a moment before relenting. "All right, but stay well away from the bars near the door, and if things go south you leave before we have to tell you." William nodded and the three of them moved to the basement of the hospital where the secure room was located. Nodding at the guards at the door, they were let through the heavy steel door into a small, dark room. The solid concrete walls had no opening except the one they came through, and a few lights were focused on the caged area in the back. The cell itself was about ten foot square, the heavy steel bars coated in silver. There was a toilet and sink on one side, the other was a concrete platform with a thin single mattress on it. On top, Agent Melody Olson was twitching in her sleep. She had been placed in a hospital gown and loose shorts in anticipation of her shift. Doc was next to her, monitoring her vitals, while a guard and Agent Waters watched from outside the cell.

Derek looked around the room, then at Doc. "How long until the turn?"

Doc looked down at her, she was flushed and her body temperature was elevated, her sweat soaked the clothes and the sheet as he checked her again. "In the next twenty minutes or so. I'm getting out." He stood up slowly and his eyes never left her as he backed out of the cell. Once it was closed and locked, he moved next to the Alpha and Agent Waters. "She's done well so far, but we don't know how bad she will be coming out of this. We'll expect the worst and go from there. Alpha, if she doesn't calm I'll need you to submit her wolf."

Agent Waters looked over, concern in her face. "Will she be all right?"

Doc sighed. "The toughest part is for the new wolf to integrate with the human; if the wolf nature takes over, especially if it feels threatened, it will rage uncontrollably. We'll be safe out here but she could hurt herself. I will need everyone to remain calm, stay back, and preferably sit on the floor. Stay non-threatening in your posture, and keep your voice calm. Once the wolf settles, it will help her integrate with it." Just then the door opened, and a bowl with raw meat was placed inside the door. "Food might help too."

Tammy Waters stepped outside to make a phone call, she trusted the visiting Alpha and Doc to keep her safe for a while. By the time her boss was updated and she came back in, Melody was awake and in agony. She watched fascinated as bones broke and reformed, as muscles realigned, and gray fur grew in. Her clothes tore off as her shape changed, and in a few moments it was over and a gray wolf with black boots and a white diamond on her chest lay panting on the bed.

Melody looked around in confusion, moving her head to each noise and lifting her snout to sniff the air. She whimpered softly, looking at the people in the room she rolled onto her stomach and then stood up. It was a little like watching baby Bambi starting to walk at first, but after a few tentative steps she jumped down and slowly walked to the bars. Derek tossed her a steak, and she gobbled it up and licked her lips.

Derek smiled and stripped, quickly shifting into his huge white wolf form. He moved to the bars, greeting Melody with licks and muzzle rubs as she sat down for him. He looked at the guard and then to the door, understanding quickly the guard let him in and shut the door behind him. He moved to her, rubbing his body along her side. She quickly submitted to him, rolling onto her back as he licked her muzzle and ears.

Doc looked on amazed. "I'll be damned. That's the smoothest forced turn I've ever heard of." The wolves in the room stripped and shifted, and Agent Waters let them into the cage to greet their new wolf. After butts were sniffed and shoulders were rubbed, Derek moved to the door of the cell and chuffed to be let out. This time the door stayed open as he led Melody out to meet the humans who had remained behind.

Melody went to Tammy first, licking her hand and then her face as her friend and fellow agent scratched her ears and knelt down to hug her around the neck. She then walked over towards William, but halfway there she froze. Her nose was sniffing and her head was cocked to the side, her tongue hanging out and she finally caught the scent. Leaping forward, she jumped up to William's face and with her front paws on his shoulders she knocked him to the ground.

The guard ran to knock her off, but Derek was faster and intercepted him with a low growl. Looking back, they could see William laughing, shocked as Melody licked his neck and face over an over while she stood over him. Tammy's mouth was open, and it took her a minute to talk. "Are they?"

Derek shifted and pulled his shorts back on, Tammy by now being used to them stripping and shifting and she didn't even look away in embarrassment anymore. "Yep... they are mates. I don't know what it is with Renee, I'm going to start calling her the Love Broker." He walked over to the couple, she had finally let him sit up and she was resting her head on his shoulder and sniffing his neck. "Melody, we need you to shift back so we can talk to you. Imagine yourself in human form, see your fingers and toes, close your eyes and imagine yourself lying there..."

It took a minute but with Derek's encouragement she completed the change, her naked body now tightly clinging to William who was about as red in the face as a black man could be. He had never met this young woman until now, yet he felt a strong attraction to her. He hugged her tight as he glared at the other men in the room looking at her backside. "STOP looking at her." The men turned away as he removed his coat and tie before pulling his dress shirt off. He pulled it over her head, it was long enough to go down to her knees and he rolled up the sleeves as she finished buttoning it. Her wolf was pleased that she was wearing his scent, it calmed her since she had not claimed him yet.

Derek opened the door for them and they walked into the hall. "Come on, let's go talk to Alpha Hastings, I'm sure you have a bunch of questions for us. I'm so happy for you, Melody, not just for the change but for finding your mate." Tammy added her congratulations as well.

"Thank you, Alpha. It's a dream come true for me."

"Really?"

"Yes... in college my roommate and best friend was a werewolf. I couldn't understand why she didn't party and date around, she was really beautiful and got asked out a lot. I followed her while we were camping and caught her in wolf form. Once she explained to me how everything worked, I could understand why she was waiting patiently for her mate. She told me that she would know her mate by smell, and how that person was created just for her and would lover her forever. Our senior year, she found him and it was just like she said."

"Who is she?"

"Was. Angie was discovered and killed in the first days of the Were War. Her mate died trying to give her time to escape. They chased her down and shot her in the back of the head, like a rabid dog. She didn't have an evil bone in her body." She wiped a tear from her eye. "That's why becoming a werewolf didn't scare me, I knew it was my destiny to become one. She promised me that if I my mate hadn't found me by the time I was twenty five, she would change me so I could find him. She would take me to Pack parties, she was always trying to introduce me to single wolves. She wanted me to be as happy as she was." William's arm pulled her close as they walked, giving comfort to her as he struggled to comprehend how his life had just changed. It turned out that she had very few questions, mostly dealing with life in her new Pack. Since William was working for this Pack, she chose Renee as her Alpha when it was explained that she had a choice. It didn't take her long to get the hang of mental communication, and her wolf was pleased to have a Pack bond in place. She was starting to lose energy, though, and her stomach growled loudly.

"Melody, have your mate and your friend take you to the kitchen and have them make up a big feed for you. Shifting is tough on your body and you've been out of it for a while." Doc smiled as she took William's hand in hers and walked to the door. "Talk to me if you have any questions about things, and I'll check in with you tomorrow."

"LATE tomorrow. I'm not letting this man out of my bed for days." She pinched William's butt, causing him to retaliate by throwing her over his shoulder and running off. The last Renee saw, she had her hands down the back of his pants.