Beyond the Were War Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The men were about to stand up when Maria's nervous voice came from the back of the room. "Alpha Robert, I think we know more about the Cartel than you think."

"What do you mean, Maria?"

"I spent two years listening to every conversation that happened in that house. I had nothing to do but memorize and categorize. I need to work with someone get all that knowledge out of my head and put it to use." She kept her head down, she didn't want to see anyone looking at her with pity because of how she had received the information.

Robert walked over and knelt before her. "Our expert on the Cartels is in El Paso. Unfortunately, he has to stay there in order to keep an eye out for further attacks. I can't risk you calling him, it might expose him."

"Then send me to him." She looked up so he could see the determination in her eyes. She couldn't fight, but she WAS valuable and she could help get revenge against the bastards that did this to her. "It would only take a couple of days working together, and then we might have enough information to plan an attack."

Caleb picked her up and sat her on his lap, worry in his eyes. "I just found you, Maria, everything in me just wants to keep you safe." She stroked his arm to calm him down. He was amazed that she sat there without being afraid, the mating bond was strengthening.

"I know, Caleb, but I have to do this. I know Juan, and he'll never give up. I will never be safe until he is dead. You come with me, send some others if you have to, but we need to know. This has to stop before a whole bunch of innocent people get hurt." She picked up his arms and wrapped them around her, it actually felt good, her wolf was content and safe and her human side was getting used to the idea of having a mate.

"You are a brave young woman, Maria, and I'm proud you are Pack." Robert patted her shoulder before returning to the front of the room. "You are right. We need you and Enrique to pool your knowledge, and we need you to do this now. Andy, I'd like you and Linda to go with them. Enrique already knows and trusts you. I will contact the El Paso Alpha and ask him for his support and permission for you to be on his territory. Oh, and you are taking Anna with you."

"Anna? She's not a fighter." Linda looked at him in surprise.

"No, she's Enrique's mate." There were smiles all around, everyone had fallen in love with Anna and her kitchen skills since the packs had combined. It also tied Enrique to the Pack, and that was good for both of them. "You should know that Anna and I have talked, she is under Alpha command not to turn or mate him without permission. I'm sure you can reinforce the importance of that on the trip." Andy bowed his head in embarrassment. "I need you to leave tonight, we'll sneak you out and you can take the back roads to El Paso. Stay out of sight, find a hotel near Enrique's apartment to work out of. Don't contact us unless it is an emergency, we don't know if they are able to tap our communications. When you have all the intelligence organized, bring them all back."

"And Enrique?"

"Anna needs to be with her Pack, and I'm pretty sure Enrique will want to be with her. If not, ask the El Paso pack if they will allow her to stay under their protection. We just can't leave her unprotected off Pack lands."

"Yes, Alpha, it shall be done. We can leave within the hour." Everyone started to get up again when Maria spoke up, her voice more confident this time.

"Alpha, there is more than one way to fight the Cartel than just killing them."

"What do you mean, Maria?"

"Cartels function on money, because money is power. They need money to pay their people, to pay bribes, to keep the operation going. Business is good. They make so much cash that handling it is a huge problem. They have to move it around, launder it through fake transactions, route it through offshore banks, even smuggle it back to Mexico. The Federal Government has been putting the squeeze on them lately, so more and more money is piling up in their vault waiting to be transported to Mexico. I'm talking about hundreds of millions of dollars, and I know where it is."

Everyone was looking at her in shock. Caleb asked first. "Where is it, love?"

"The cartel bought a defunct savings and loan building near Albuquerque a decade ago using a shell company. They lease it to a legitimate business, but the vault is hidden in a section they don't rent and they only go in there during off hours when they need to move something. Only a few people know about it, and all are incredibly loyal to Juan."

Robert frowned. "That doesn't help much, none of us know how to crack a bank vault."

Maria's smile lit up the room. "You don't have to crack it if you know the combination. And I know the combination. Someone shouldn't have kept repeating it to himself in his room while he was trying to memorize it." There were gasps around the room as she was handed a piece of paper and a pen. Thirty seconds later, they had the information they would need. "The bills are stored on wrapped pallets, so you'll need pallet jacks to move them. Take the gold and bearer bonds first, then the cash. What you can't take you should destroy. They don't keep guards there, but they have it alarmed and under surveillance so you'll have to be quick."

Robert smiled. "Bob, Ryan, you're with me. Pick a dozen good fighters and be ready to go by nightfall. Send three men ahead to start surveillance on the building, put an explosives guy in the group with them to set a few surprises if the bad guys show up. Rent a truck if we don't have one we can use. We'll also need a couple SUV's or trucks and a cargo truck, plus everyone needs to be armed in case we need to fight our way out of there. Now get going everyone, I have some phone calls to make!"

Robert had just enough time to secure permission for his group to travel to El Paso pack lands through the other Alphas. Alpha Marino of the El Paso pack had not only agreed to host his group, but committed to protect them as well. He was outraged that they had done that to Maria, and was no friend to the cartels who smuggled drugs and people over his lands.

"Alpha, Agent Miller is here and said you are expecting him." The call over the Pack bond interrupted his planning for the conference call, but he needed to talk to him. "Escort him to the ambush site, I'll meet you there."

Twenty minutes later, he had made his way over the rockpile that was being cleared by a dozen men and some heavy equipment. He walked towards Agent Miller, who was getting out of his car and surveying the scene in shock. The helicopter was still burning below them and the bodies were being stacked in front of his car. "Agent Miller, sorry to call you away but as you can see we needed to talk."

"What the hell happened here, Alpha Hastings? This place looks like a war zone."

"Exactly that. These men," he lead him to the bodies, "attacked without provocation. They were hired by Juan Hernandez to kidnap Maria back from us. We're still trying to recover bodies from the first few cars buried up ahead, but we estimate at least thirty took part, plus another four to six in the helicopter." He picked up one of the pistols that had been captured and ejected the magazine. "They came in armed with silver bullets with wolfsbane cores; we've also captured grenades and rocket launchers. They could have destroyed my pack if we hadn't gotten a warning."

"Casualties on your side?" When he was told none, he was shocked. "Who warned you?"

Robert just smiled. "We have our friends too. Since they are on our land, my rules apply."

"What do you need my help for? Do you want me to process the scene, take the bodies, what?"

"I just want you to know what is going on because this is going to blow up in the next few days. The Socorro Cartel attacked us, and we're going to hit back... hard. I'm trying to minimize the blowback on you and the civilians of this area."

Agent Miller pulled out his phone. "Can I take the bodies?" When Robert shook his head no, he started taking pictures of the faces of each of the men. "I'll run these through our computers when I get back, at least then we will know who is involved. Robert, you know you can't wage war on my streets. I have to advise you to stay within the law and the treaties. I understand you want them, but I need you to let me do it."

"If you can help us take them down, I'll help you with the information you need to do it. I won't limit myself, though."

"Just understand that if any of your men break the law, they will be prosecuted like any other criminal. Think about what your are doing, I'd hate to see people turning against the werewolves again."

"Me too. Here, I have something for you." He handed him a piece of paper. "One of our people put together a list of known smuggling routes and transit houses for the Cartel. I figured you could use some wins early on."

Agent Miller read through the list, excitement in his eyes as he noted the detail. This he could do. "OK, Alpha, I think we understand each other. Do not hesitate to call me if you come up with anything else." They shook hands and he returned to his vehicle, turning around and heading back tailed by the sentry vehicle.

The drive back to the office was long, but the new knowledge was bouncing around in his head. He would have been on the phone already, but the warning about the mole kept him from doing so. This would have to be done quietly, using only people he knew he could trust, if they were to keep Juan from escaping justice.

He was flipping through the pictures on his phone at a stoplight in southern Albuquerque when an old Ford van pulled next to him. He didn't notice the van. He didn't notice the man getting out and running away.

He didn't notice anything before the explosion tore through the street, ripping his car apart and killing him instantly.

El Paso Pack House

Alpha's Office

Alpha Marino looked at his top Betas, they knew this news wasn't good. "Men, we have guests coming tomorrow. They need our help and our protection and I've promised that to Alpha Hastings."

"Who is coming, sir?" James, his top Beta, asked from his seat across the desk.

"Two are well known- Linda Remington and her mate Andy Miller plus a junior Beta. They are protecting two females in their pack and they have some business in town. We are to support and defend, nothing else. Put good people on it, they will be in the town and we don't want human entanglement."

Rico, his Beta in charge of patrol, looked up. "What are we protecting them from, Alpha?"

"The Socorro cartel is after one of the women, but all are in danger. I want you all to listen in to this conference call and we will discuss it more afterwards." He set up his computer for the call, logging in to a meeting website that could handle the traffic of the forty some Alphas represented. When the meeting started, Alpha Hastings briefed everyone on the events of the past few days. There was anger at hearing of Maria's treatment, followed by outrage at the attack on the Gila Pack. In the end, the Alphas agreed that they would assist in the war on the Socorro cartel as they could. Border packs agreed to track and intercept (or call the Feds to report) any smuggling on their lands. They also agreed that it would be wise to keep the Packs on lockdown for a while, reducing the danger of members away from the territory from being picked off. One of the California Alphas asked about his area, under the control of a different Cartel. For those areas, it was agreed they would monitor but not interfere, there was no point in expanding the war to other cartels right now. With that, the conference call ended.

James started speaking as soon as his Alpha clicked off the conference. "Sir, this is a big deal. The Socorro cartel is in control of this area, and if anything happens to them the Gulf cartel is ready to move in. We don't want to get in the middle of this fight."

Some of the younger Betas wanted to take stronger action, but their Alpha cut them off. "We will help our guests, but as for the rest- we will watch only. I want the border guard doubled, and put wolves in surveillance positions. Everyone else stays within five minutes of the Pack house. I want everyone back here until I say otherwise, no work, no off territory residences. Understood?" He gave the instruction over the Pack link, along with a notification that a Pack meeting would be held that night at 10 pm. It was time to get back on a war footing after their brief freedom.

Johnson Pack Site

Montana

Alpha Derek stood on the large rock at the edge of the clearing, his Pack gathered in the field around him. He glanced back at his mate, Amanda. She was holding hands with Renee, both of them were over the moon with happiness. Amanda's secret didn't last long once Renee got her in the car, the smell was noticed almost immediately and she had gone silent until she heard the extra heartbeat. Derek was hoping his hearing would come back soon after the shriek Renee let out.

"Johnson Pack! Luna has truly blessed us this night. Here to visit is our former Next Alpha and now Alpha Bitch of the Gila Pack, Renee Hastings!" The Pack went wild, it was the first time any had seen her since she was severely injured at Wolfstock. Renee stepped up next to her brother and embraced him before waving at her friends. "But that is not all. Not only have we been blessed with new matings..." he paused waiting for the applause to die down. It was only after he gestured for the seventeen new mated pairs to stand and be recognized that the crowd quieted again. "She has also blessed us by restoring the fertility of our wolves, allowing us to continue our lines and grow our Pack. For the first time in five years, we have pregnant women among us to honor and protect. Can the pregnant women stand and be recognized?" There were cheers as four women in the Pack stood, followed by Renee stepping forward, her baby bump already in place from the twins. The cheers quieted for a second when Amanda stepped up and placed her hands protectively on her belly. The shock quickly faded and the roar was deafening- the Alphas were expecting! This was great news for the Pack, not only would it solidify the heir but it was good luck.

It took a few minutes for the noise to die down before Derek could get control again. "Tonight we hunt. Tomorrow we feast!" Pulling off his clothes, he quickly shifted into his wolf, followed by the rest of the pack. He let out a powerful howl, soon joined by his mate and Renee, then by the rest of the Pack. He led the men out of the clearing on one side, while Amanda led the women out the other. The older warriors, Renee, and the younger ones all stayed in the clearing.

The day passed into night. Renee sat by the bonfire that had been put together for the celebration, her foster daughter Michelle asleep by her with her head in her lap. It had been an exhausting day, from the flight to the excitement, and being a few months pregnant with twins didn't help. She just wanted to make sure everyone made it back all right. Pack runs were great fun, but weird things could happen on a hunt. She heard the howls of celebration well before she could see them. Amanda came back first, a hundred pound wild boar in her mouth. Four other women had smaller hogs, which was good as the smaller the wild pig the better the flavor. They dragged them to the fire where the older women quickly started to butcher them and get them on a spit over the hot coals.

Twenty minutes later, there was a cheer as Derek led the men back. He was dragging a large elk in his powerful jaws, two men next to him helping to bring the animal home as it was three times his size. Another two men dragged a smaller animal in. Dropping the beast at his mate's feet, he sat back and howled in victory, the rest of the Pack joining in. They would eat well in the morning! The mated pairs quickly headed off to their tents, the successful hunts were a powerful aphrodisiac to their wolves and Derek wouldn't be shocked in more pups were sired tonight. He shifted back, the blood on his face and chest matching that of Amanda, and they headed off to the stream to clean up prior to bed.

Renee carried Michelle back to the tent and tucked her into her cot before turning in herself. The pregnant women had been talking while waiting for the men, they weren't prepared for babies in the Pack. All of the furniture, supplies and accessories were lost early in the war, and nobody even had maternity clothes. They looked at each other and nodded- ROAD TRIP! Tomorrow they would head to the city and start getting what they needed. Renee went to sleep happy, feeding off the energy of her old pack.

El Paso Pack Boundary

West Texas

Linda was quietly singing along with the radio as she arrived at the rendezvous point, trying to stay alert despite it being four in the morning. She and Andy had been alternating tanks this trip, he was asleep in the passenger seat and snoring softly. In the back, Anna was curled up in one corner while Caleb was in the other, with Maria tucked into his side. It had been a long but quiet ride. She saw the flash of lights from the car parked on the side of the road and pulled up next to it. Two men got out and came to her window, they introduced themselves as Brett and Alec and that their Alpha had assigned them as security. "Hi, I'm Linda, and this," pointing to the man who was rubbing his eyes in the passenger seat, "is my mate Andy. In back you have Anna on the far side, Caleb and Maria." Nobody in back had stirred and she wasn't going to wake them up."

"So what is the plan?"

"I need to get Maria to our man in town. He doesn't know we are coming so we will show up at his apartment and hope he is home. If he agrees we should be there all day."

"OK, sounds like you just need stakeout and backup then. We will follow you and set up nearby." They exchanged phone numbers so they could stay in contact. Soon they were back on the road and, after stopping for coffee and some groceries, they arrived just before sunrise at Enrique's apartment.

"Since he only knows Andy and I, the rest of you stay here until I call you." Anna was wide awake and nervous, she was about to meet her mate and was already fighting the urge to shift and just take him. The two got out of the car and walked to his apartment building, then took the elevator to unit 3C. They knocked loudly, but got no answer. They kept knocking until their hearing picked up the sound of a door opening, and a minute later a sleepy Enrique showed up at the door. "Hello Enrique, I'm sorry we showed up so early and without notice, but it is very important we talk to you." He looked at them for a moment before he recognized them and stepped aside. She handed him a tall coffee as they entered his place. It was a typical bachelor apartment, not much on the walls, the living room was centered around a huge flat panel TV and gaming system, and the kitchen looked like the only thing that got used was the microwave.

"I'm sorry, it takes me a bit to get going in the morning, I was up late last night doing some work." He gestured for them to sit on the large L-shaped couch in the living room.

"First of all, my Alpha would like to convey his thanks for the information you brought us. Because of it, we were able to stop the attackers and we did not have any losses on our side. It would have been a lot different without you." Enrique smiled, happy that they were OK. "We are now at war with the Socorro cartel, and that is where we need your help. I brought with me someone who has inside knowledge of the Cartel, and needs help getting it out of her memories and incorporated into what we already know. I also brought her mate and another person to help us out while we are here. What I'm asking for is for you to call in sick to work today so we can focus on getting this together before we plan our next move."