BirthRight Ch. 07-12

Story Info
Paranormal Romance.
18k words
4.81
9.2k
16

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/23/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SydneyA
SydneyA
42 Followers

Chapter 7

Tyrese searched the gardens for his mom. His heart warmed at the sight of her sitting on a bench in the middle of a patch of colorful flowers. Her emerald green short-sleeved top and jeans blended with the foliage. He paused, observing her posture. She seemed distracted. He followed her line of vision and smiled at the koi pond situated nearby. Opening his senses he inhaled, and then blunted them a bit. The smell of sickness mixed with the vibrancy of the garden had a high ick factor. He smacked his tongue to dislodge the taste.

"Mom." He watched her stiffen and then turn in his direction. For a moment he drank her in with his eyes. There was no woman on the face of the planet with a larger heart than his mom. A born nurturer, she had been the team mother for his baseball and football sports clubs. During the seasons, their home filled with young boys vying for her cookies and cupcakes. If any of the kids needed to talk, she'd had an available ear. They'd lived so far out that life could've been boring, but she'd gone out of her way to make sure they never felt left out of the action.

"Rese?" She shaded her eyes with her hand, and then a smile lit her face. Her brown eyes glowed with love as they met halfway. He enfolded her in his arms and prayed he could keep her safe. She had no more control over the manner of her birth than he had.

"God, I missed you, Mom." He held her back a bit and looked at her. She did the same to him. "You've lost weight."

"You say that like it's a bad thing," she said as he pulled her close again.

He laughed, knowing better than to say anything else on that score. "Even if you blowed up big as a house, you'd still look good to me." He placed a kiss on her forehead. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." She took his hand and led him back to the stone seat bench. "Have you talked to Rone?"

Not wanting to lie, he said. "I haven't been upstairs yet. I wanted to see you first. We can go together after you tell me what's been going on with you."

Quiet, she leaned on his shoulder. "I need to do something with my life. Maybe go to college, learn a trade. You boys are grown, have your own lives. I'm... I'm alone. I've been sitting here thinking about what I'd like to do with my life. Maybe go visit mama and her new husband in Florida, or go on a cruise." She looked up at him. "I can't remember the last time I've done something fun, something that interests me. Isn't that awful?"

The awful thing was knowing she'd be denied all of those things for her immediate future. For a few seconds he wondered how far he'd make it if he just took her out the front door and kept walking. The memory of the Patron triggering his wolf flashed across his mind.

He was screwed.

"No, not awful." He swallowed. "Soon Rone will get a clean bill of health. Maybe you can plan to do those things after that." The words tasted like bile on his tongue.

"I don't think he wants me to come with him. Maybe I've been too clingy. Maybe it's time to back off and let you guys fly."

"Wow, you picked a sweet time to bail, Ma. I'm being released from my duties pending my psyche evaluation. And Rone's being shipped off for therapy to relearn basic skills." He shook his head, shocked to hear her sound so defeated and knowing he had to get her to change her mind.

"Ow." The sting in his forearm from her pinch cleared his head.

"Stop being a smart-ass. I'm entitled to live my life. Everybody else is," she muttered as she rubbed the spot she'd pinched.

"That's true. You've lived for us, now you should do the things that make you happy." He prayed she'd agree to do those things after Tyrone's therapy.

She patted his leg and stood.

He stood next to her.

"Let's go see your brother."

Arms wrapped around each other, Tyrese guided her through the cafeteria, aware someone watched. Good thing she talked about his aunt and didn't realize he wasn't paying much attention. After they got off the elevator and headed toward Tyrone's door, they heard a commotion. His aunt and someone else were pleading with Tyrone.

Tyrese knew the moment his mom heard what he'd picked up the moment the elevator doors had opened. His brother was out of bed, anxious to find him and his mom. He would've done the same thing.

"Rone, mom and I just got off the elevator on your floor. Calm down." He sent the message through their link.

"What happened? Did something happen to mom?"

"No. She was in the garden looking at flowers."

"Shit!" Tyrone yelled so loud, Jasmine froze for a second and then took off down the hall, Tyrese on her heels.

"What's going on?" his mom demanded once she cleared the door.

"Your hard-headed son got it in his mind that you'd disappeared and wanted to come find you. He didn't want me to leave the room, as though he could do a better job than I could in finding you." His aunt's head snapped up, and she smiled. "Tyrese, it's so good to see you again." She walked over and wrapped him in a loving embrace.

He squeezed her tight. "It's good to see you, Aunty. You look beautiful as always." He stepped back and looked at her. She preened and did a slow turn.

"I know, but it's still good to hear."

He placed another kiss on her cheek. "Give that to Mandy for me and tell her I said hi."

"Thanks, will do. You just getting here?"

"I've been downstairs with mom in the gardens. I called earlier, and she told me she was chillin down there. I had to go see my favorite lady first."

His aunt patted his cheek even as her eyes slid to his mom. "That's good, sweetie."

"Does the doctor know you're out of bed?" Jasmine asked Tyrone.

"He does now. The nurses came and left. Why didn't you let me know where you were going? You just walked out. I thought you went to the bathroom or to grab a bite to eat. You left over thirty minutes ago." His tone went from happy to see her to accusing.

Tyrese started to interfere to save his brother from a tongue lashing, but figured his mom would be in a better frame of mind after she got a few things off her chest.

"Excuse me?" Jasmine asked Tyrone in her who-are-you-talking-to voice.

He blinked, looked at Tyrese, his aunt, and then back at his mom. "I... I worried when I didn't know where you were. We don't know anyone here, so I... I wished you would'a told me you were in the gardens." His entire demeanor wilted beneath their mother's glare. She was a dollar's change away from laying into Tyrone, and Tyrese didn't think being in a public place was going to save him.

"Jazz," Aunt Renee said, looking at her watch.

His mom looked at her sister but didn't say anything.

"I've got a flight to catch, I was telling you this morning something happened. Mandy called me after I left the hotel or I would've told you then. She has me booked on the two o'clock flight. With security and everything, I need to go." While she'd been talking, she'd walked over to his mom. Now they stood face to face.

"Okay, Nay. Thanks for coming out here with me and staying. I don't know what I'd do without you." The two women embraced. Jasmine placed a kiss on her sister's cheek.

Aunt Renee cupped her sister's cheek. "Don't think I've forgotten that conversation we started before the call."

"I know you haven't. Neither have I. You may be right. After things settle here, I'd like for us to make plans."

"Thank you, Jesus. I was so scared you'd fight me on this." Renee pulled back. "Look at them." She pointed to Tyrone and him. "You've done an amazing job raising two grown men. It's time for you to think about yourself. That's what they want for you." She looked at him and then Tyrone. "Right boys? You want your mom to be happy."

"Yes, always," he said.

"Of course, she deserves it," Tyrone said as he reclaimed his bed.

His aunt clapped her hands as though she'd accomplished a tremendous feat. "Great, it's settled. Once you leave this therapy thing, we're going to set things in motion. Who knows, maybe you'll meet a handsome man, have a little fun, get laid."

"Aunty," Tyrese said, placing his hands over his ears.

"Oh lord," groaned Tyrone.

"Maybe," Jasmine said, smiling. "Take care, Renee, call me when you get home. Tell Mandy thanks for covering for you, I owe her one."

"That's how family rolls. We look out for one another." She placed a kiss on Tyrese' and then on Tyrone's cheek. "Be good boys, don't have my sister go off on you in this fancy place. You know she will."

"We know," Tyrese said. "I remember too many shopping trips when she'd go into auto correct mode."

"God, that was embarrassing," Tyrone muttered.

Jasmine laughed. "Sometimes correction needs to take place right where you are so you never forget how to act in that place."

Tyrese leaned forward and kissed his mom's cheek. "You used to tell us that all the time."

She shook her head. "I told you that when I had to correct your behavior in public. Think about it, how long did it take for you to remember not to open food in grocery stores or add things to my cart, or take something without paying for it?" She eyed him and his brother with a twinkle in her eyes.

"I'm sure it didn't take long. Sorry I've got to go, but I do." Renee grabbed Jasmine's arm and walked her to the door.

If they weren't wolves, neither he nor his brother would've heard his aunt's whisper. "Wow sis, that tall one with the green eyes might be a good place to start. As far as men go, he wasn't half bad."

"Uh, no. I'd like someone not like Davian, thank you. And he has hard ass written all over him. The next man I take on will see me as a person first."

Tyrese looked at Tyrone and spoke through their link. "This is not good. We have to convince mom to go to therapy. We have to stay until the Patron is convinced we're not a threat."

Tyrone's eyes widened. "What?"

Tyrese glanced at door. His mom was listening to his aunt talk about Mandy. He took a seat next to the bed. "Yeah, I had a forced meeting with the Patron and the Alpha who runs this territory. He has concerns over her breeding wolves and not being mated."

"You agreed?" It was weird hearing Tyrone's outrage through their link.

"It was that or we all die, including Aunty."

Tyrone's eyes widened and then closed tight. "I did this. I brought her to their attention."

"No. Well, maybe. But they had no idea half-breeds existed. Plus we're not rabid, or crazy. I get the idea they plan to run all types of tests on us."

"On mom?" Tyrone sounded horrified.

"I don't think so. Not at first anyway. I do think they plan to look into her background, if they haven't already."

"You believe him? You believe he'd kill us."

Tyrese thought of the power that'd pulsed in the room with little effort on the Patron's part. "He called my wolf. One minute I was standing in the hall, the next I was on all fours prancing up the stairs like a punk answering his call. My damn wolf sat there wagging his tail like a bitch waiting for a treat." That still rankled. His gaze swung to his twin. "Do I believe he'd take us out? In a fucking heartbeat. In his mind, we're freaks. Something that shouldn't exist. Could be the real reason he's allowing us to live is he thinks there may be others. By understanding us, it gives him an advantage. He can prepare to deal with any others."

"Damn," Tyrone glanced at the door. His mom and aunt were hugging again. "What's the deal with the military?"

"I'm out, pending my psych eval. You?"

"I think I'm being discharged as well. Can't help but wonder how much clout Silas has, huh?"

Tyrese frowned, the name sounded familiar but he couldn't place it. "Silas?"

Tyrone nodded. "Silas Knight, the Patron, leader of the Alpha werewolves."

Jasmine walked over to the bed, and pulled up a chair next to Tyrese. "Okay guys, what's our next move?"

Tyrese looked at her. "I think we're going to the physical therapy facility with the hard head over here who got hurt." He watched her through lowered lids, hoping she'd just fall in line with their plans. He should've known better.

She frowned and sat back. "I'm not comfortable staying out there. Can we get a place nearby?"

"I'll ask, but I thought you planned to stay with me until I recovered," Tyrone said, looking confused.

She shrugged. "I'll just be in a nearby hotel like I am now. I can visit you. But I can also see and do other things."

Tyrese grew uneasy at her bid to push them out of the nest so she could begin her own journey. Although she deserved it, her timing sucked. "Mom, why can't we all stay together? This may be the last time you live with your sons, if you want to look at it like that. But I want you with me if I have to stay in a place with him." He pointed at Tyrone, who appeared offended.

"I don't want to stay in a place with just you either," Tyrone snapped.

"Can we all stay at the hotel?"

Tyrese hated to kill the hopeful tone in her voice. But he wanted her alive, to have a chance at happiness later. He banked on that being a real possibility after the Patron realized they weren't a threat.

"I can't. Sorry, Mom," Tyrone said with just the right amount of sadness.

"Oh well," his mom said with obvious false cheer. "I suppose I can put down my apprehension over this decision, just this once. But I've gotta tell you, I don't feel good about this move. Not at all." She eyed Tyrone. "Would you like to get a second opinion? You don't have to do this if you aren't sure."

It was a good thing she had no idea they were smack dab in the middle of a shifter hospital; and from what Tyrese had smelled, she and his aunt were the only humans. The man who controlled all these people made a mockery of his mom's claim. They had to do this if they wanted to live.

Chapter 8

The three bedroom condo was on the second floor, situated near the wooded area of a large complex. It suited their needs. Each bedroom had its own bath, and the stocked large kitchen had all types of meats and veggies. Once they arrived, after unpacking, Jasmine slept for twenty hours straight.

Tyrese's dismissal from the military, due to the strange bond with his brother, came first. It looked as though Tyrone would receive a similar dismissal. She should've been happy, but their sadness permeated their temporary living quarters and stopped her from saying anything glib.

The first five days flew. Both boys left in the morning to do whatever they did in therapy while she stayed at the house, alone and depressed over her life. All of that came to a screeching halt on the sixth day.

She decided to go for a walk. Taking her phone, MP3 player and headphones, she walked down the path that started near their condo building. Within minutes, the fresh air and the beauty of the flowers and nature eased her frustration about her stunted life.

When her legs began to ache, she sat on the grass near the path to rest. The sky was clear and the warmth of the sun caressed her cheek. She thought to lie down and take a rest. But the possibility of bugs crawling over her nixed that idea. After a few minutes, there was a sound somewhere behind her. She stilled, ready to run if necessary. Palming her cell phone, she listened harder. The noise sounded more like a moan this time.

She leaned forward and strained her neck to hear better.

"Owww," the sound came again, clearer this time. It sounded like a child, a wounded child.

Heart pounding, she jumped up and searched through the bushes. "Hello!" She called to let the child know she was on her way to him or her.

The moan came again, louder.

Jasmine took off running, doing her best to keep the leaves and branches from hitting her face. A few moments later she came upon the most incredible sight. A young boy lay on the ground with an animal skin blanket covering his legs and thighs. His pupils dilated, and he shook as though he was freezing, although sweat dripped from his body. The sight triggered an old memory, but as soon as she thought about it, it fled.

"Ooooo," the child moaned again.

Without thinking, Jasmine sat, took his head, placed it in her lap and stroked him. "It's going to be okay, sweetie. Just calm down and tell me who I should call to come get you."

The child shook so hard, his lower body contorted and then spasmed. She continued whispering soothing words and stroking his head.

"Should I call 911?" She asked, more to herself than him. When he continued shaking, she dialed Tyrese.

"Mom?" He sounded out of breath.

"Rese?"

"Yeah."

"Listen, I went for a walk and found this young boy lying in the forest. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he's covered in fur and shaking. Who should I contact?"

"Where are you?"

"I just told you, in the woods off the trail. Forget it, I'll call emergency, he's shaking real bad. I hope he wasn't bit by something and having a reaction." She looked around for bugs or worse, snakes. Her hand squeezed the phone as she realized the possibility of being bitten.

"You need to walk out of there just in case whatever bit him comes back."

Fear choked her, but she couldn't do what her son suggested. "I'm not going to leave him alone, something is very wrong with him. He could get worse."

"I hear that stubborn note in your voice. I'll call the administrator and we'll come take care of it. You sure you're okay?"

"I've had years of experience calming boys who've had accidents, although this one is weird. His legs... anyway, get him help fast." She clicked off and continued stroking the wet strands on top of the boy's head. His breathing slowed, and he grew calmer each second.

"Help is on the way, you'll be fine," she told him.

His head moved in her lap and he looked up at her with dark brown eyes. "Thank you. What's your name?"

She smiled. "Tell me yours first."

"Callum."

"Okay Callum, I'm Jasmine. How are you feeling?"

He closed his eyes and then opened them. "Bad, but not like at first. I don't think I'm dying anymore. Thanks for that."

Surprised, she stared at him for a second and then smiled. Something inside clicked, and she shook her head as a feeling of well-being flowed through her. She missed caring for her sons like this. There was no question, when you helped others, it came back to you. But this was different, his gratitude touched a chord in her that she hadn't felt in years. It was an indefinable something that banished the darkness of her depression and filled her with light. In that moment she wanted to sing, to dance with joy, and not for any particular reason other than it was a bright day.

"Who are your parents? Should I call them?"

He lifted his head and then returned it to her lap. "He knows and is on his way."

True enough, a few moments later the quiet ceased with the arrival of Tyrone, Tyrese, Silas and Jayden.

"Mom, stay still," Tyrese said, standing nearby.

"What?" She looked at him with a tilt of her head.

"Just stay still while his father takes him."

"Callum?"

He looked up at her with warm eyes. "That rude young man who didn't ask how you're doing is my son, Tyrese. The one standing next to him is my other son, Tyrone. They're twins. Please forgive their manners. You're the one in pain, not me."

He chuckled, and then grimaced. "It's okay. Thanks for stabilizing me." He looked over her shoulder. "Dad?"

The man she knew as Jayden stepped behind her. "I need you to move so I can work on him."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just didn't like seeing his head on the ground. Can you hold him?" She slid Callum's head to his father and slid from beneath him. When she stood, Jayden's head whipped around to stare at her.

SydneyA
SydneyA
42 Followers