Black & Tan Blues Ch. 02

Story Info
The Sting.
10.5k words
4.64
152k
57

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 12/12/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
itmgr2010
itmgr2010
686 Followers

This is a story that took place in the swinging 70s. The Vietnam War and the draft were coming to an end. Richard Nixon really was a crook. We were still safe from HIV and AIDS. The internet was only a gleam in Al Gore's eye. The first portable phones were just being developed by Motorola. And General Motors, Ford and Chrysler actually made cars that people wanted to buy. Life was good.

This is a work of fiction. But in every story there is a kernel of truth, an incident that really occurred or maybe a character or characters that really existed. With that said any similarities to persons living or dead is purely intentional. My thanks to wildhafer for his editing skills and words of encouragement.

*

I got to Trev's car and leaned my hands against it with my head down, trying to keep my body from shaking. I wanted to scream. I wanted to smash something. I wanted to be anywhere but here. Trev and Tony walked up beside me. Trev said, "You going to be okay Ken?"

I turned around and stared at the two of them, "All my hopes, all my dreams, not to mention the only woman I ever loved, is in the backseat of that car getting fucked! What do you think?" I said bitterly.

Tony cleared his throat, hesitated a moment then said, "Ah, Ken, I'm really sorry about this. If there is anything I can do ..."

I looked at him and took a deep breath. "Thanks Tony. I appreciate that and maybe there is. Donna will have to leave within the next hour to make sure she beats me home and has time to get cleaned up. Do you think those two guys will hang around the bar for awhile after they leave?"

Tony said, "I wouldn't doubt it. They frequently do if the action is over. They like to brag it up to the guys who didn't score."

"If it wouldn't go against any loyalties you might have, do you think you could hang with them and find out what plans they might have for my slutty wife and her new best friend?"

Tony looked at me curiously and said, "Sure, Ken. James has been on my shit list since he beat on my sister and Curtis is a bigger thug than he is. I don't owe them a thing. I'll call Trev tomorrow and let him know if I find out anything."

"Thanks Tony, that means a lot to me."

We all shook hands and Trev and I got in the car and left. We didn't say much on the way back to Gino's. As we pulled in he said, "You want to go in for a drink?"

"I don't much feel like it. I am going to head home and stake out the house and see how soon they get back."

"Are you going to get into it with her tonight?" Trev asked.

I shook my head no, "As much as I would like to just beat the shit out of her and throw her out, it isn't that easy. I've got Samantha to think about. Somehow I've got to her out of my life without losing Sam. It would kill me to lose her."

"Okay, don't forget we are scheduled for overtime tomorrow night."

"Yeah, I know. I'll be there. I couldn't stand to stay home with my wife anyway. If you don't have a date or anything maybe we can get together here at Gino's after work. By that time maybe I will have thought of something."

Trev nodded, "Okay, maybe Tony will have something for me by then too."

"Thanks Trev. I appreciate having someone to talk to who has been through this shit before."

I got in my car and drove home. It was nearly one in the morning when I parked on a cul-de-sac street a few doors down from our house. Donna and Connie would be coming from the other way when they came home. If the assembly line worked a straight eight hours and I came home directly from work I would get in around two. As I expected Donna's car was still in the driveway. I already knew Connie was in the driver's seat in more ways than one in the car wreck that my life was becoming.

About fifteen minutes after I got there I saw a car come down the street and pull into our driveway. I could see Connie and Donna get out and walk up the steps. I was too far away to see how well they were navigating but they got to the door and went right in. After about ten minutes I saw Kristy, a high school sophomore who lived down the street come out and head down to her house. I could see Donna and Connie standing and talking on the front porch watching to see she made it okay. After a few minutes Donna and Connie hugged and Donna went into the house. Connie got into her car and drove away.

I had some time to kill until I was due to be home so I decided to follow her to see where she was living now. Surprisingly Connie still lived in the same complex where we had been neighbors. I watched her park and go into her townhouse. I drove through the parking lot and checked out her car. I wrote down the make, model and license number and drove back home.

It was now after two so I pulled in and went into the house like any other night. The kitchen nightlight was the only one on as usual and all was quiet. I turned on the television and watched CNN Headline news for a few minutes. Finally I walked down the dark hallway and listened at the bedroom door. I could hear Donna breathing heavily like she did when she was asleep. I went into our master bathroom, closed the door and turned on the light. There was the faint smell of deodorizer in the air. The shower stall was wet and there was a damp towel hanging from the curtain rod. Donna's hair dryer was on the counter and it was still warm. I glanced down at the wastebasket beside the toilet. There was an empty Massengill disposable douche box in it. I shuddered as the implications of that sunk in.

I went back into the hallway and thought for a moment. I turned and went down the basement to the clothes hamper that sat under the laundry chute. I rooted around in the dirty clothes but didn't find anything she had been wearing. I looked around the basement and noticed the washing machine lid was down. I opened it up and there soaking in cold water were the clothes she had been wearing earlier. At least her skirt and blouse were there, but no panties or bra. I closed the lid and went back upstairs. After looking in on Sam I got a pillow and blanket and went and lay on the couch.

I laid there staring into the darkness thinking. All routine for her. Go out and party, get fucked up and get fucked. Get home before your husband gets home from work. Put your clothes into the washing machine to soak to get rid of that nasty smell of cigarettes, stale booze, marijuana and sex. Take a shower, wash your hair and even dry it. And don't forget to douche to get rid of the last possible bit of evidence and leave yourself all fresh for the next day. Then get to sleep before he comes to bed to avoid any conversation about what you did that evening. Easy enough to do when you have had several glasses of wine, smoked a few joints and got bounced around the backseat of a Lincoln Town Car a couple of times by a six foot four, two hundred and thirty pound black dude.

I vowed I wasn't going to cry over her or our marriage again. She killed it, callously, repeatedly and with premeditation. My future no longer included her. I was angry, pissed and just one small step from a killing rage. I knew I couldn't go there. I had to be calm and controlled to get through this. I had to think about Samantha. Donna could not be allowed to have an influence on her. That was my last thought before I fell asleep.

I woke up about eight with Sam pulling on my face. "Daddy, daddy your face is all scratchy. Why are you sleeping out here?"

I smiled sleepily at her, "Good morning, Samantha. Are you ready for some breakfast?"

She looked at me hugging her stuffed puppy and nodded, "Will you eat with me?"

"Sure will sweetheart."

I got up and Sam had I had breakfast and I turned on some cartoons for her. I went back to the bedroom to use our bath. Donna was sound asleep and I didn't expect her to be up or around for several hours yet. Now I knew why she was so out of it the last four or five weekends. I showered, shaved and got dressed. I got Sam dressed and I decided to take her over to see my parents.

Mom and Dad were retired and spent the winter down in Florida in a trailer park. They had just returned to Michigan the month before. They had an apartment here in town and a house on a small lake in Northern Michigan. They loved to spend time with their grandkids. Every fall they agonized over leaving home and the kids but they just couldn't tolerate the cold and snow anymore.

We visited for a few hours and had lunch with them. Mom wanted to know were Donna was and I told her she was still sleeping when we left. Mom looked at me questioningly and I just shrugged. Mom, Dad and Sam had a great time while I mostly sat and stared at the baseball game on the tube. Mom kidded me about my lack of attention then started in about when she was going to get another grandchild. My older brother had two kids now and I was getting behind in the count. It was a conversation we had been having on a regular basis for a couple of years. I tried to smile and told her she would be the first to know. It depressed me to think that it wasn't likely to happen now.

It was getting close to my time to leave for work so Sam and I kissed them both goodbye and left for home. Donna was sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee reading the paper when we walked in. Sam ran over and gave her a hug and said, "Mommy we went and saw Gran'pa and Gran'ma and had lunch with them and everything!"

'And everything' was Sam's favorite way of ending a sentence.

Donna didn't smile she just said, "That's nice, Samantha." And she looked at me crossly, "You could have told me or left a note."

I just said, "I could have but I didn't." And walked down to the bedroom to change for work.

She followed me down the hallway and said belligerently, "What in the hell does that mean?"

"It means it wouldn't of mattered to you if I did. You wouldn't have wanted to go and we would have gone anyway." I said calmly, "By the way did you remember I was scheduled to work tonight?" As I pulled on my work jeans.

"Huh, what?" Donna seemed confused by the change in subject.

"I am working tonight, remember?" As I walked by her and started yelling for Sam.

She came running and I gave her a big kiss and hug. "Good night Samantha, be good for your mommy, okay." Sam nodded, smiled and I pointedly ignored Donna.

I turned and walked to the door and looked back at both of them, "See you both in the morning." And closed the door. The expression on Donna's face was a mixture of anger, exasperation and maybe a little concern. Whenever I left for work I always made a point of kissing her goodbye. Well, that was a thing of the past now.

As I was preparing for the shift, Trev walked by and said, "How did it go last night?"

I just shrugged and said, "About what I expected. I'll tell you about it at lunch."

"Okay, I've got some news from Tony too."

Later as we sat at the table eating, I told him about the evening and what I had found out about how she worked her cover up. I also related to him the behavior changes that had been going on with Donna over the last couple of months which I could never explain before. Just talking about it got me angry again.

Trev looked at me in sympathy, "When this shit happens, you can never believe the person you thought you loved most in the world could do the things they did to you."

He shrugged. "Tony called me this afternoon. He hung with the guys at the bar until closing. Like he said it was pretty much a bragging session about banging these two hot white sluts who couldn't get enough black cock. One of whom is married. Curtis was even waving around a pair of panties he said belonged to Donna. Tony said the talk went downhill from there."

"Anyway before they left I guess James made a date with Connie for next Friday. Apparently that's the way it they have been working it. James makes a date with Connie. Connie talks Donna into going along. Donna hooks up with Curtis. Connie and Donna both get laid and maybe Donna doesn't feel as guilty about it because she didn't instigate it." He shrugged, "Who knows?"

"But they are taking it one step further this time. James told Connie they're going to get a room at the Red Roof Inn off of the Forest Road exit on US-123. Wanted to know if Donna would go along. I guess Connie just laughed and said no problem. So their plan is to meet at the Black & Tan at their usual time. Then when things get hot move the party to the hotel."

"It don't care how they work it, Donna is guilty as hell! Our marriage is over and she killed it," I said vehemently.

Trev thought for a minute, "Let me give you a word of advice, Ken. Take it from someone who's been where you are now. Don't let the hate and anger consume you like I let it consume me. I wasted a couple of years being angry and pissed. Because of it, I have never been able to sustain any kind of committed relationship with a woman. But I'm starting to be hopeful again. My life didn't end and good things are starting to happen to me.

I'm not saying you don't deserve justice. But do what you have to do for your daughter, for your own peace of mind and to live a healthy life. And not just for revenge." Then he grinned, "But if it results in a little payback, then that's justice!"

I thought about what he had said as we finished the rest of the shift. I knew Trevor was right and someday I probably would get past the anger, the humiliation and the rage. But right now it was impossible to put it out of my mind. Those responsible were going to pay for ruining my life. There had to be consequences for their actions.

As I thought about everything I knew about the situation I had a glimmer of an idea. If I could pull it off then I would have justice and Donna would be gone at least long enough to put some distance between her and Sam and I.

Later as we sat over a beer at Gino's. I started to run it down for Trev. "My problem is how to get Donna out of my life and not lose Samantha. If I divorce her she will get primary custody and her influence could ruin Sam. I can't have that. The only thing I can think of short of murder is to get her put in jail or in so much legal trouble that no judge will ever allow her custody."

"Makes sense, but how do you do that?"

"I think the drug connection is the key. And we know where all four of them will be next Friday night. Curtis already has a record so a drug bust would be believable.

"If I can figure out a way for Donna and friends to get busted in such a way as to draw maximum attention then Donna would not have a chance in hell to gain custody when I file for divorce."

I started sketching a plan out, asking Trev to help me fill in the blanks and look for holes or inconsistencies. The best scenario I could think of was to set up a bust for Friday night while they were all at the Red Roof Inn. The Tri-County Task Force on Drug Enforcement operated an informant tip hotline. I could use that to get the police involved.

To ensure the bust would generate serious felony charges I would need to plant drugs in enough quantity so that it was apparent they were not just for personal use. I would have to plant them in whosever vehicle was at the hotel. If Donna and Connie followed past practice it would be Connie's car. If neither woman drove it would have to be Curtis's car. Then I would phone the hotline and initiate the bust. The biggest risk to me was not to get caught planting the drugs and somehow not be tainted by any ensuing investigation. And timing would be a critical.

"So what do you think Trev?"

"That's pretty ambitious, Ken. Do you really want to take it that far?" He said slowly.

"I don't think there is any other way. And I want them to burn, Trev," I said adamantly.

"Okay, I'll play along. First of all, getting the drugs. We both know half a dozen connections who work in the plant. But getting the quantities you need is going to cost."

I nodded. "I got that covered. Ever since Donna went to work two years ago, I started putting all my overtime pay in a separate account in another bank. I had planned to use it for a down payment on a house or a couple of acres in the country. I was going to surprise Donna with it. It doesn't look like I'm going need it now. I have over eight thousand dollars in it."

He nodded, "Okay, then money is not an issue."

"But I do need some help getting the drugs. If my wife is involved in a drug bust and someone finds out I've been buying, it will certainly throw up a red flag. I know it's asking a lot but can you help me with that?"

He thought for a minute, "Yeah, I know four or five people I trust to keep their mouths shut. I will need to spread the purchases around to keep the quantities reasonable. How much do you think you need?"

"How about five or six dime bags of marijuana? And maybe a quantity of coke or methamphetamines? That should be enough for conspiracy to deliver."

"That should run only two or three thousand."

"And one other thing. I think I would like some Percocet or methadone or any other prescription painkillers still in the pharmaceutical company bottles. I want to put the idea in someone's head that maybe Donna has been stealing drugs from the hospital."

"That is devious! You might want to include some syringes, cigarette papers maybe a roach clip in that stuff too." Trev added.

I nodded, "I think everything else is just details except for one other thing. I am going to need an alibi for Friday night, or at least part of Friday night so I can plant the drugs and call in the police. It would be prefect if I could be working on the assembly line. But if I take leave that blows my alibi. I know people have snuck out from time to time but it would be impossible to hide my absence from the section and I know the foreman would certainly notice."

Trev was silent for a few minutes and then laughed. "I've got it! I will talk to the union steward about scheduling a Friday night union meeting to discuss work rule changes for the upcoming contract negotiations. The union reps always invite a couple of the rank and file to participate. I will ask the foreman to let you be one of the rank and file representatives. He won't be able to say no. He will just have to borrow another relief man from one of the other sections. The meeting will start right after the lunch hour. You can go out the gate like you are going on a pizza run and not come back. The meetings usually don't end until the shift is over. And I'm sure I can punch out your timecard without anyone noticing."

"That sounds like it could work. I'll bring the cash into work on Monday. Will that give you enough time to get what I need?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Thanks. And could you make sure Tony is cool about any crap dropping on James and Curtis without letting on what we have in mind? I don't want him to get jammed up over it."

Trev laughed, "I don't think he sees that as a problem. But I will have a few words with him. I would also like to see what else he can find out about their Friday night plans."

By this time it was almost one in the morning so we finished our beers and left the bar.

As I drove home I wondered how I could manage to keep my cool for another week. Knowing how Donna was shitting on me and Samantha was eating me up. How could she so blatantly and repeatedly disrespect someone she loves? Did she think she was impervious? That somehow it wouldn't come out? It was going to take a monumental effort on my part not to let on that I knew she was screwing both of us over.

I was surprised when I got home that there were still lights on in the house. I found Donna asleep on the couch with the television still on and a couple of scented candles burning next to an empty wine glass on the coffee table. I picked up her glass, turned off the TV, blew out the candles and went into the kitchen. On the counter I found a nearly empty wine bottle. I poured it out into the sink and went to throw it in the wastebasket. When I did I found another empty bottle already there.

itmgr2010
itmgr2010
686 Followers