Black Velvet Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The women appear to be in their thirties, at least." said the tech. "And the man looks like he was younger. I can tell that from bone development." I nodded, realizing that this was one sharp technician.

"How long have they been out here, do you think?" Cindy asked.

"Hard to tell, ma'am." said the tech. "Several months, at least. The velvet they were wrapped in was in itself wrapped in plastic. We're hoping some tests can help us pin down some timeframes with that, as well."

"Inspector," said the Sheriff, using my SBI rank in addressing me, "do these cases resemble those murders over in Nextdoor County?"

"Some." I said. "But they resemble even more some older cases we researched. More women than men, similar ages, black velvet blankets."

"Why preserve the velvet blankets?" asked the Sheriff, "but not the bodies themselves?"

"I think we have a serial killer here, Sheriff." I said. "And his motif is the black velvet. Ergo, he had it preserved in case the bodies were found. That's just an early guess, though. Ah, here comes Mr. Patrick. Hello, Mr. Patrick!"

"Hello, Commander Troy." said Patrick, shaking my hand.

"Tell me about this housing development, if you will." I said.

"It's going to be an expensive one." said Patrick. "Homes as much as one million dollars each. Mostly immigrants from India that have made fortunes in the software industry in the City. We've already sold out Phase I, and Phase II is just starting up. But it'll slow down now... we'll have to be careful to see if we dig up bodies with every excavation."

"I'm afraid that's true." I said. "This was a natural and perfect dumping ground for bodies."

"All right, Captain," I said to Cindy, "anything you want to look at before we go?"

"I do have one question before we leave." said Cindy. "Do you think the perp killed these people here, or around here? Or did he kill them nearer the City, and dump the bodies out here?"

"Good question." I said.

"I'd guess that if this is a serial killer, he killed in a more populated area." said the Sheriff. "People get noticed out here. Also, there's a Federal installation to the north, just over the State Line. It used to be a CDC research center, and who knows what else was going on in there. It's not in use, that we know of... but they keep a sharp watch over this whole area."

"That's good to know." I said. "We can check and see if they spotted anything, unusual movement."

"Son, you gotta have one hell of a clearance to get that." said the Sheriff.

"Or know some people that do." I said, then added: "And I do."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back in my office in the early afternoon of Friday, February 10th, I was compiling my data on the 'Black Velvet' killings, when the Miltons came to my office.

"Got something?" I asked.

"Maybe, sir." said Mary. "Have you ever heard of the Millwakee School?"

"Not 'Milwaukee'?" I asked.

"No sir, 'Mill-WAY-kee'." Mary replied. "Basically it was a camp for troubled teens not far from State Highway 141, the north-south road from the Nextdoor County Highway towards Lake Watchacoochie. It was the primary reason that road was built; well, the primary public reason."

"Tell me about it." I said.

"It was started in the 1970s by a City University professor named Yarborough." said Mary. "He was one of those that believed troubled youths could be rehabbed through gentle methods, such as communing with the outdoors and being given respect and empowerment. He was really big on self-empowerment, and once ran camps like Dr. Eckhart's Empowerment Camp."

"O-kay." I said.

"City University and the State tracked the results for the first few years." Mary said. "The recidivism rate was very high; most of the students sent there committed other crimes after their stay at Millwakee. City University stopped tracking the results and the State pulled funding and made judges stop sending kids there in the early 1980s. Dr. Yarborough kept the place going for another 20 years. But when he died, his kids shut it down."

"What happened to the place? The land?" I asked.

"You're getting ahead of me, sir." said Mary. "If you'll let me keep going, I'll answer that in a moment."

"Okay." I said. Yep, I'd been impatient. And yep, Mary, like Myron, didn't like that.

"One reason Millwakee was where it was, is because there was a sanitarium to the east of it. A road from the City, Farm Road 2, serviced it. It was run by the State, and they monitored the Millwakee results in the 1970s from there. Then that mental hospital, which was really a mental prison, was shut down, and all the inmates... er, 'patients'... were sent to The Asylum, which was not all that far away. That happened in the mid-1980s."

I brought up a map of the area. "Okay, I see where that sanitarium was... on the road out of the City towards the gap the road uses to get to Lake Watchacoochie, State Highway 2, then the Farm Road. And its pretty damn close to where Richard Patrick is developing his housing subdivision. Is the State facility still there?"

"Yes sir." said Mary. "No more patients were sent there, but the State maintained it for another 20 years. According to some obscure and well-buried State records, the maintenance stopped and the facility totally abandoned... within two months of Millwakee closing."

"Yes, I'm impatient here... does the State still own that land?"

"Yes sir." said Mary. "They owned a lot more land, as well, but began selling it off in small bits to private individuals, most of whom built houses. That development that Mr. Patrick is building was on what was State-owned land, bought in bits by different persons, then bought by Northeast Regional Development Corporation, which is Mr. Patrick's company. The State, that being the Department of Prisons, objected to the development, but a judge ruled that the private landowners who bought from the State were bound by a no-development clause, but when they sold and those contracts had no such clause, the new owners could develop the land."

"End-around on that." I said. "Someone who is supporting Mr. Patrick knew the law very well, and helped him get around the State's intent to not have that land developed." And as I sat there, I realized the name of the prestigious State Senator who was behind Mr. Patrick.

"Yes sir." said Mary. "Where it gets interesting is that someone bought the Millwakee land, and that entity is not related to any of the others that bought State land over the years. Patrick's company apparently offered a bid to the State for the land, thinking it was State property, and the State replied with the owner company's name. That company is named 'Power Properties, LLC.'. The property is further wrapped in a trust. Hoops of legal steel, sir."

"Okay, that is all excellent information." I said. "Anything else?"

"Sir, the State's records on the sanitarium facility look somewhat like The Asylum's did back when they were hiding people, and hiding records of births." said Mary. "Spotty at best. Also, a lot of stuff is off-limits under the Medical Privacy laws. The Millwakee records were never put to digital preservation, and no one knows where the paper records are. The family of Dr. Yarborough said they never saw any. City University likewise claims ignorance."

"But, sir," Mary said, a smile forming on her face, "I did find one little record, through the City Police. One girl basically walked out of Millwakee, as their security was lax. She managed to get to the City and to their western Precinct's office, where she claimed that Millwakee students were being taken to the sanitarium and experimental drugs used on them. This was in the mid-1990s, well after the sanitarium stopped taking in patients."

Mary continued: "The City Police took the girl to Child Protective Services, and also contacted the SBI to investigate. They sent all their paperwork to the storage facility. They also digitized the initial police report and sent that in, which included an index of the other paperwork.. It was an experimental project at the time, and later a new system was chosen when they went to digitization full-time. So that record was preserved. Everything else... disappeared. No record with the City Police... they even searched the paper records for me. No record with the SBI; we hacked that, of course."

"And the girl?" I asked.

"Disappeared." said Mary. "CPS returned her to State custody, as an escaped criminal. I found a record of a Court hearing that rescinded her plea deal that allowed her to go to Millwakee. She was a juvie, but I was able to get into her records. They stop after that Court hearing. She was never put in a Juvie Prison, she was not returned to Millwakee as their records say she was returned to State custody after an 'escape attempt'. As far as records go, she simply disappeared off the face of the earth.

"And buried beneath the face of the earth, if I don't miss my guess." I said. "This is incredibly good work, Mary."

"Oh, my man helped me, sir." Mary replied, giving Myron praise. "And it was David Krueger that got people to look up paper records for us."

"Hmmm," I said, "How well did you cover your tracks in getting all this?" I asked.

Myron said "They'll never find our extracurricular looks into medical, CPS, and Juvie records, sir. But a great deal of it was simply accessing public records. We have some firewall protection, and if they even see our access, they'd have to work to see who was accessing the records. But a very determined someone, who knew where to look all the way around... would ultimately be able to find out that it was the TCPD."

"Okay." I said. "What about that facility just north of the State line... the Federal facility?"

"Nothing yet, sir." said Myron. "We've been pursuing the embarrassment of riches regarding the sanitarium material, and haven't really had time to look at the Federal level..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, Cindy was meeting with the Chief.

"We have prob-lummmm, Ms. Ross." said the Chief in his office. "Members of the Town & County Council, State Rep. Billy Williams's office, State Senator Katherine Woodburn's office, and U.S. Congressman Gary A. Condor's office... all have received inquiries into Walnut Prep. In turn, all of these politicians are asking the Sheriff and myself what we are doing to investigate allegations of sexual relations between students and their teachers at that Institution."

"Well, Chief, Commander Troy has recused himself from any involvement with the prep school part of the investigation." Cindy said. "We executed warrants to get Lenora and Rob's clothing. The State Crime Lab is running tests now, but so far I don't think they've found a thing."

"Soooooo, Ms. Ross," said the Chief, "what are you going to do to investigate the allegations of sexual impro-PRI-ety?"

"Do we have a formal complaint to act upon?" Cindy asked. "Until then, it can sit on the back burner. It's obvious now that Lenora and Rob were killed by a serial killer that's been operating for a while."

"Or a copycat that has used those methods to mask his purpose for killing those two... keeping the salacious secrets buried." said the Chief. "No, I'm sorry, but you'll have to begin pushing on this one. The Medical Examiner has to go to Child Protective Services; she can no longer delay. So the formal inquiry will come soooooonnnnn...."

"Okay, Chief." said Cindy. "And speaking of formal inquiries, Coldiron and I have our Board of Inquiry meetings today, at City Hall."

"You got Union reps, at least?" asked the Chief.

"Yes sir."

Part 14 - Bringing The Heat

"And this is why we need a strong SBI to take over cases like these." said Katherine Woodburn.

She was in a meeting room at the State Capitol, with Representatives Justin Madoff, Wilson Hammonds, and Billy Williams, State Senators Sean Stockton and Dick Langdon, Governor Jared and SBI Director Tom Conlan.

"No ma'am," said Conlan. This shows why the SBI Reserve Program is so good. Reserve Inspector Troy is coordinating the State-wide investigation himself, while local LEOs work on each crime scene."

"That's where you're wrong." said Langdon, his shrill voice not matching his tall, lanky figure. "This should be in the regular SBI's hands, coordinating everything, and the locals supporting the SBI investigation. Commander Troy should be having no part of this, except investigating that school for improper sexual contacts between students and their teachers."

"The City will never agree to work with the SBI." said Conlan. "Nor would Nextdoor County, and I need not even mention how the Iron Crowbar feels about it. The SBI Reserve is the practical solution."

"I agree." said the Governor, who looked a lot more invigorated since making the government shutdown stance a few days prior. "I also will remind all of you that a case like this normally should be handed to the FBI, and it may yet be turned over to them."

"But then there's the part about Walnut Prep." said Katherine Woodburn. "One of their teachers has been shown to have had sex with one of their students. And that has to be investigated. Donald Troy has actually recused himself from it, saying he knows Headmaster Meadows and his wife Claire personally, and too well. What that really means is that the Troys and the Meadows are swingers in the same club, but I digress... this is exactly the type of thing we need a strong SBI for."

"My reply is the same." said Conlan. "We could bring Reservists from another part of the State, who are disinterested and can investigate impartially, and working with other State Agencies and the local LEOs... in this case sans Commander Troy. But ultimately, if there is impropriety at Walnut Prep, then it would be a local jurisdiction case where any crimes are concerned."

"What do you think, Wilson?" Katherine asked, putting Hammonds on the spot. The Jared supporters had been hammering him on the State Fox News channels for his attempts to cave to the Democrats.

"I don't know, Katherine." said Hammonds. "I think you have a better argument with drug interdiction; this Walnut Prep case could go either way. And the Governor is right: if this is a serial killer case, it likely should be in Fed hands."

"So," said the Governor, "once again we get nowhere. Are you Democrats really willing to continue this charade?"

"Are you, Governor?" shot back Katherine. And then something nagged at her... the Governor's face looked confident, just a shade too confident. Something was up. And it did not take the Iron Crowbar's powers for Katherine to realize that it was the Iron Crowbar who was up to something.

"Let's adjourn for the day." said Wilson Hammonds. Everyone got up to leave.

As Katherine Woodburn left with Justin Madoff, she whispered "I think the Iron Crowbar is up to something. We need to distract him again."

"I think we have the means to do so." said Madoff. "A Board of Inquiry in his County..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After a delicious double-cheeseburger lunch at the Cop Bar, Jack Muscone came over to my Headquarters with me. As we sat in my office, I brought him up to speed on the serial killer case.

"There's a Federal installation just north of the State Line." I said. "I tried accessing it as an FBI consultant; no joy. I asked my lovely wife to see what she could find out through the CIA and her continuing capacity as a consultant with them. She found out that they did tests on nuclear materials in the 1950s; they had an installation like that in Dawsonville, Georgia, as well. Those were shut down years ago; now all of that is done at the facility at Oak Ridge, Tennessee."

"Meanwhile," I continued, "my wife could find out nothing else. But I do know from a confidential source that radio transmissions go in and out of there, mostly in 'blurps' in the wee hours of the night."

"Marvin Milton, Myron's father?" said Muscone. I kept my face set, giving nothing away. "He is going to get fucked with, one day."

"Anyone fucks with him, and they'll have me coming after them." I said severely.

"I hear ya." said Muscone. "But the CIA does not like the man, and they don't like your Mouseketeers too much better. Your guys are too good for their own good."

"They better keep their fucking distance from my people." I said, my voice even darker. So, can you help me find out what's going on up there? I only want to know if they could help get some info on our serial killer, who has been operating in that area."

"I understand." said Muscone. "I'll see what I can do, but don't expect too much. Things are really sensitive in this whole region, over Jeanine's murder, the Michael Burke situation... he's afraid for his other family, and right now won't talk to us... and whatever Superior Bloodlines is planning to do."

"They should also consider what the militant blacks are going to do." I said. "Those recent demonstrations were meant to be tests to show our resolve, but also to show our hand. The first demonstration stayed north, the second one was in two parts... they think I won't notice what they're doing, but of course I do."

"Think T-Square is up to something?" asked Muscone.

"Him and Jasmine Nix and Big Ice." I replied. "They met again last weekend, in Los Angeles. And by the way, I might be going to L.A. myself in a few days, but for other reasons. Think you can talk to Clark Webster for me?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Wayne LaCroix had graying hair, a thick gray mustache, a pudgy face and body, and he looked like he was perpetually drunk. His suit did not fit him very well, either, further giving him a loutish posture.

He looked up as four people came into the room. "I told you not to contact the Union about this." LaCroix said angrily.

"You don't have the authority to issue that order." replied Captain Cindy Ross, wearing her semi-formal Police jacket with ribbons, and the Medal of Valor around her neck. "We're entitled to Union representation."

"And they're getting it." said the rep from the Police Captain's Union. "We find your attempt to deny these Police Officers their rights to be... disturbing."

"I don't care." said LaCroix. "The record will show that you Officers disobeyed my instructions, and therefore can be held in contempt for not obeying the subpoena."

"It's an unlawful order." replied Cindy. "I actually have the authority to arrest you for sending that letter." That got LaCroix's attention. He muttered something to himself, then said "You're not arresting me until this interview is over. Have a seat, everyone."

"We also want to know what this is about." said the Police Union Rep, here to represent Lieutenant Wes Masters. "Your vagueness in the letter and your refusal to answer our follow-up questions, both verbally and in writing, are also violating our Police Officers' rights."

"Good grief." said LaCroix. "Okay, what this is about is the excessive use of force by Captain Teresa Croyle in violently arresting peaceful protestors, and also trespassing onto State grounds in pursuing those peaceful protestors."

No one said anything, and the continuing silence in the room was getting awkward. "Well?" snarled LaCroix, "what do you have to say about it, Captain Ross?"

"Nothing." replied Cindy. "Captain Croyle is not my subordinate, nor I hers. Nor do our paths cross in that matter you described. That also goes for Lieutenant Masters."

"Well," drawled LaCroix, "you've worked for years with Captain Croyle, so your input is needed in this Board of Inquiry."

"Your request for their input on anything but the facts of actual actions," said the Police Captain Union rep, "calls for speculation and would be heresay at best. I am advising Captain Ross to not answer such speculative questions."