"Blank Paper"

Story Info
Before World War II American agents track a spy.
8.6k words
4.47
6.2k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers

Chapter One of Six

Location: New York City, United States - November 3, 1938.

The European Continent had plunged into another war. Just days after British Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain, came home in triumph from Germany with a signed treaty and spoke his famous "I believe it is peace for our time." It was a worthless promise from Adolf Hitler.

It was a war that had already begun to spread towards Greece and Turkey and had already spilled into Africa. The United Kingdom and France stand-alone against the forces of Nazi Germany. The United States steadfastly remained neutral. Germany's military and industrial might grew ever stronger as it's political power spread, and so did the effectiveness of its intelligence services.

The engines of the great German Airship, the K. H. Scheer, were just a muffled noise within its first class compartments. While in the main room, the combination observation deck, dinning room and lounge, which stretched across the entire width of the airship, the soft whisper of the powerful engines was hardly heard and was usually lost to the sounds of the small band when it was playing near the forward wall.

Justin Heywood, dressed in a well cut, dark blue, three piece suit, was a slim man of medium height about five foot eight with the beginning of some gray at his temples and a thin black mustache. He was sitting at one of the best tables along the outer wall, which were all windows. He looked down at the great city of New York and saw the very unmistakable spire of the world's tallest structure, the Empire State Building rising up above all the other, lesser buildings of the cluttered skyline.

Heywood knew that there might be other buildings that had more grandeur and more style, but for Justin Heywood, born and bred in the Bronx, there was nothing better than the Empire State. For him it was a symbol of home.

A place he was again leaving for duty and country. There was, he knew from long experience, no honor in what he did. But he readily admitted it; the adventure had an appeal, at least to him. Besides as his father, who wore New York Blue, would say, 'Some one has to get the bad guys.'

Justin pulled out his cigarette case and thought briefly about the dangers of smoking aboard the earlier airships with their giant canisters of hydrogen gas. They were little more than flying bombs waiting to explode. He remembered that just last year in May, the German Zeppelin Hindenburg had exploded at Lakehurst in New Jersey.

He sighed as he opened the case and selected a cigarette.

Then the Germans had developed the technology of helium production, from design plans stolen from the United States, they had then built bigger and larger airships. He snapped the case shut with a bit more vigor than he had wanted to. He had been charged to find the plans. He had failed.

A waiter paused at his table and offered him a light from the lighter he was holding. Justin accepted and drew in the first bit of smoke. He thanked the waiter who then moved away leaving the lighter on the table. He spun the lighter on the tablecloth looking at the words etched into the case. And in a very short span of time, reflected Justin, the Germans displayed their superiority in the field when their zeppelins began making regular runs across the Atlantic and else where around the globe.

Their military superiority was also being displayed in Europe as the German Army was slowly marching across the continent. With little opposition, thought Justin. And Chamberlin gave them half of it. 'Peace in our time,' thought Justin in disgust.

He reflected on that time as he puffed on his cigarette. He had been very lucky that time. Escaping as he had in the dark of night from Berlin.

There had been no accommodations available aboard the Hindenburg as he tried to return home from that disastrous assignment in Germany. Instead, he had to make his way to Italy and there he was able to book an empty cabin aboard a western bound Turkish cargo ship. The long slow passage had done him well. And the ship's doctor, with no questions asked, with some large pile of bills left on his desk, was willing to tend to his needs.

His back still ached with remembered pain.

Now they had stolen from the United States again. Thus he and his partner were aboard to retrieve what had been taken.

Holding his cigarette in the European Aristocratic fashion, between his forefinger and thumb, he took a long leisurely drag and slowly blew smoke out towards the ceiling where it would be drawn away by the hidden air system. There was no haze of stale cigar or cigarette smoke within the dining room or anywhere on the great airship K. H. Scheer.

It was another touch of elegance, which the Germans had brought to its first class airships and to its growing international travel and cargo industry. The Germans maybe stuffy and highbrow and thieves, but they knew how to design things and build them.

Looking out the window again, he saw that the city was quickly fading into the darkness of the descending night and was transforming into a glittering array of long strings of sparkling lights. While from the great airship's observation deck, he could still see the glowing sun resting upon the distant horizon as it rapidly faded towards sunset.

The K. H. Scheer was making a leisurely climb up away from its New York Terminal by circling the city until it reached a cruising altitude of 7,000 feet. It would then turn eastward and begin its long leisurely Trans-Atlantic flight towards Europe and Germany.

Puffing on his German made cigarette, Heywood would have much preferred a good Havana Cigar, hand rolled of course, but he knew that men of his supposed position did not indulge in such things. He knew he could have gotten away with it. But, as always, when he played a part, he played it well and he always played to win. Especially when the stakes were as high as they were this time. So he took another puff from the German cigarette and stubbed it firmly out in the ashtray. He would savor a fine Cuban Cigar another day. Once he finished this business.

From the corner of his eye he spotted his partner enter the observation deck. Heywood turned to watch his partner make a minor entrance then stage the long walk across the great room to where he was sitting, all to garner the attention of their fellow passengers. Or more aptly, to allow Heywood to watch the other passengers in the room and their reactions as they turned to watch his partner follow the Maitre'D across the distance to him. Their reactions, as always, was interesting as he observed both that of the men and of many of the women.

It was then that Justin spotted the man in a black uniform entering the dining room. Herr Gustav Striner, thought Justin, as he took in the handsome German SS Officer splendid in his full formal uniform with a dagger at his hip. Striner and Justin had never clashed in the field, before now. He then noted that Striner was focused on the moving figure of his partner.

She was, to all appearances, the typical European, slender and tall with long, dark auburn hair that cascaded down across her shoulders and framed the elegant features of her face. Her long dark red dress hung well upon her, clinging in strategic places, which accented her tight curves. The hem of her skirt swung in a leisurely rhythm in time to her slow pace. She walked with a grace and a surety of position born of high breeding. Just as her physical demeanor and the way she carried herself spoke of old wealth and of much older power and her glancing gaze stated that she was not one to trifle with.

Candace Brooks was none of that which she portrayed, just as he himself was a walking lie.

Then Candace was at the table and Justin rose as the Maitre'D held her chair and she sat down. Justin allowed himself to drop into his.

The Maitre'D moved to the side of the table and made a slight gesture and a young man came in their direction. Speaking German, he said, "Mr., and Mrs., Beer, Hans, will take your order."

Justin, who spoke German with a Bavarian accent, understood the Maitre'D. Candace had a more northern accent to her German. It was one of the reasons why they were on this mission. They traveled under the guise of husband and wife returning to Luxembourg via Germany after touring the American West, which was currently a bit of a rage on the continent.

The blond German Hans stepped forward and began to recite the evening's offerings.

This gave Justin the chance to appear to be looking at Hans as he watched the SS Officer be escorted to a table on the far side of the room. When he sat down he was lost in the crowd.

First Candace then he quickly stated their preferences and the efficient Hans walked away with their order.

Candace looked at him and smiled warmly.

"What have you learned?" asked Justin, of his not so German wife..

End Chapter One

"Blank Paper"

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Blank Paper"

By

Rugrat60

Chapter Two of Six

Candace looked at him and smiled warmly.

"What have you learned?" asked Justin, of his not so German wife..

"First Herr Krupp is not. It is his wife, Fraulein Krupp, returning from a tour. She has the Augsburg Suite with her sister and a small entourage," replied Candace.

"Accurate intelligence!" muttered Justin. "Still she will need to be checked out."

Candace said, "Agreed. Mrs. Spfie Beer has been invited to join her this evening for an early tea. She wishes to show me some of the antique treasures she is bringing home."

Justin smiled and shook his head. "Enjoy, Mrs. Beer."

"Vielen Dank, Mr. Beer."

Sipping at his coffee, he asked, "The others?"

"Frauline Berta Hillgarde is in cabin 202. And she is quite alone."

"No one with any sense would want to be with her," stated Justin flatly, thinking of the regal and dangerous German Lady, whom he had encountered in the past. His back gave off a twinge.

"Have I met her?" asked Candace.

"You would not like her," replied Justin, thinking of the beautiful Berta and her long flowing golden hair. And of the several long scars he wore across his back from their last meeting. "And number three?"

Candace allowed herself a slight smile. "Gustav is where you expected him to be. Cabin 340. His cabin is ... quite busy. And he has several large trunks in storage."

Justin's eyebrows rose. "He is here at dinner.

"I know." Candace gently placed her hand on the table.

He glanced down and for a brief moment Candace lifted her hand and exposed a small block of wax. He saw the impression of a key in the wax. Then her hand was down and gone and the table was again empty before her.

"Herr Striner," stated Justin. "Shall we?"

Candace smiled. "Dinner first."

Justin nodded his acceptance. Besides, Hans the waiter had arrived with their first course. He looked upon the food and smiled. The Germans were excellent chefs.

Later Candace and Justin were sipping their after dessert coffee.

"We will need access to the passenger cargo," stated Justin.

Candace smiled at him across her cup of coffee. "Be outside the Purser's cabin at 9:10 sharp. And bring your toys."

"One of these days..." started Justin.

Candace stopped smiling. "We have been over this. So don't be such a prude." She set her cup down and with her napkin she dabbed her lips carefully.

Justin stood and moved behind her chair and pulled it out as Candace rose. She allowed Justin to take her hand to assist. Once standing, she dropped her hand and she was walking away.

Justin stuffed his hand, with the small block of wax, into his jacket pocket and followed close behind. He did not have to work hard at giving the appearance of a frustrated husband who knew his place, as was typical for many men who married into wealthy European families.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Justin walked down the passageway through the First Class Section, where their two-room compartment was located. His direct superior at the agency had been reluctant to spend the funds necessary for the high price accommodations, but did grant approval due to orders from above, but only so they could complete their cover story.

Justin glanced at his pocket watch. It was 9:08 PM. The Purser's office and quarters was directly ahead at the next intersection. Conveniently located for the richer passengers so they would not be forced to lower themselves to another deck if they required his services. It would also mean that Candice would keep him 'occupied' while he went searching.

Justin had almost reached the door when it opened halfway.

Candice stood there. She looked elegant as usual, thought Justin.

She barely glanced at him.

From within the cabin, he heard a male voice. "Frauline Beer. Spfie. Komm her, bitte. Verbringen Sie Zeit mit mir."

Justin easily translated. "Mrs., Beer. Sophie. Come here, please. Spend time with me."

His partner had placed her free hand on the door frame and slowly slid it past. She paused then looked back into the room. She spoke softly in German. "Aber mein Mann? Er wird verdächtig."

"But my husband? He will suspect." translated Justin as he lightly touched her hand.

"Komm her. Er hatte viel getrunken," said the Purser. "Zu viel, um Sie zufrieden in dieser Nacht."

Justin heard: "Come here. He had much to drink. Too much to satisfy you this night."

Candice turned to look at Justin. There was a sad look in her eyes. She briefly touched his hand as she placed an object in it. She then smiled.

Justin knew that the smile was not for him.

He watched her slip back into the cabin and softly closed the door behind her. As he stepped away, he heard the click of the lock sliding into place.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

It was late, the passageway was quiet and empty as Justin looked at the key he had made from another wax block Candace had handed him at the door of the Purser's cabin, under the cover of allowing the Purser to convince her to come back inside.

He slipped the key in to the lock for the Purser's Office and turned it. He smiled. He wished it were always this easy.

Then he thought of Candace's sad eyes at the door to the Purser's Office. "This can not be easy for her," thought Justin. "Focus. Stay focused."

He quickly entered the office then closed and locked the door behind him. He used a small flashlight to cast some illumination into the darkness. He found the light switch and flicked it on. He stood in a small office with a single desk and two file cabinets. The flashlight was returned to his pocket as he moved to the file cabinets.

"Now, if I was a file for Herr Striner I would be in this drawer," stated Justin, pulling open a drawer labeled "R to T."

Germans were quite regular and logical in all they did.

Justin quickly scanned the files and discovered there was no file for Striner. "Interesting," muttered Justin. He closed the drawer and pulled open the drawer labeled "F to L." After a scan of the files he discovered there was no file for Berta Hillgarde. "Very interesting," he said, as he slowly closed the drawer.

He stuck his hand in his pocket and pulled out the first key he had made. It was then that he noticed the double lightening bolt on the key.

"You're slipping, Heywood," he muttered to himself. He looked at the key. "Nazi Major Gustav Striner of the SS, you will be under special cargo." Smiling to himself he remembered the intelligence reports of the movement of many agents from the German State Internal Security department to the SS.

"Frauline Berta are you now with the SS?"

Heywood opened the top drawer of the file cabinet next to the desk. He found a large, thick, red folder at the front of the drawer. He pulled it out and went to the desk and opened it. There were two bundles of documents. One labeled "Hillgarde" the other "Striner." Both had a letterhead from the SS Headquarters in Berlin. They were the standard document requiring cooperation with the bearer of the letter. Major Hillgarde of the SS. Heywood spoke and read fluent German. Not the German taught in the States but the German of Bavaria, where his parents and grandparents had come from.

He quickly read through the paperwork and noted the storage areas assigned to the two SS agents. Heywood replaced the file and left the office as he had found it. As he walked away he wondered, and not for the first time, if the two German Agents knew of each other or if they had separate assignments.

End Chapter Two

"Blank Paper"

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Blank Paper"

By

Rugrat60

Chapter Three of Six

The tops of the scattered clouds were bright in the mid-morning sunlight and the Atlantic was a dark green blue far below. Justin casually watched a small image of a cargo ship with an even smaller thin wake trailing behind it, as it made its way westward towards North America.

Justin wondered if the crew of that ship knew the zeppelin was even here. His thoughts then wondered to the many advantages that a fleet of long range and high-flying zeppelins would give to the government in Germany. He could imagine the intelligence gathering they could do.

Across the table from him he heard the light sound of china on china.

He turned again to look at his partner as they waited for their late breakfast. Candace appeared as fresh as a daisy, yet he could see how tired she actually was. She had not returned to their cabin until well past two in the morning. He too was tired, as he had waited up for her to return. Then, after a few hours of sleep, he had risen early so he had time to manufacture the additional keys from the wax impressions

Candace had acquired from the Purser.

"So how was your tea last night?" asked Justin, trying to stay away from her other activities of the previous evening.

Candace looked up from her second cup of coffee and smiled. Her eyes took on a sparkle, which he had not seen for some time. "It was quite fun, actually."

"Really! Tell me about it, Sophie."

"Frauline Krupp, Anna," said Candace, "as she asked me to call her. And her sister Katrina, had both spent nearly two months traveling across the United States."

"I take they are not who we are looking for?"

Candace smiled again at him and shook her head. "No. They are not." Her smile suddenly faded.

"What's wrong?"

She sighed before replying. "Its just that they had invited me to visit them in Augsburg this summer. I can't go of course. Not with what the Germans are planning. But it was nice. A few moments to ... to forget what we are here for."

Hans arrived with their breakfast.

As Hans set their breakfast before them, Justin looked across the table at her. "Es tut mir leid. Spfie." (I am so sorry, Sophie.)

Candace looked at him and a soft warm smile came to her lips and eyes. "Ich weiß, Karl. Ich weiß." (I know, Karl. I know.)

Justin smiled too. He knew that Candace could not afford to become involved with him. Not if she had to walk away from him, if circumstances required it of her. And with them traveling into German territory aboard a German ship, he could think of many things that could very badly for them. As Justin watched Candace, he knew he would want her to turn and walk away.

Candace turned to Hans. "Danke, Hans."

Justin nodded to Hans and added. "Danke."

"Sie sind welcom, Frauline, Herr Beer." returned Hans. He then walked away.

Candace glanced back at him, gave Justin a brief smile then returned her attention to her breakfast.

Justin looked down at his breakfast of eggs and sausage.. Picking up his napkin, he draped it upon his lap. He softly sighed, knowing that he would not be able to walk away and leave her behind, if she were still alive.

Rugrat60
Rugrat60
106 Followers