Blood of the Clans Ch. 26

Story Info
The triangle is exposed and settled, Tom & Deb make plans.
5.5k words
4.88
9.4k
4

Part 26 of the 50 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 08/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Argus could see the guests were getting restless, waiting for Stuart and Tavish to return. Dunking the last few bites of shortbread finger in his drink, he stood up and tapped his spoon against his glass. He got their attention, but looks of worried trepidation wore on their faces.

"Och, stop yer worrying. All the good bits are done, so I'll just tell ye's hoo Grayson came up wi' the idea tae pay homage tae Jacob Dornie. I swear there's no nasty, evil stuff in it. I promised, remember?"

A relieved look replaced the worry on the guests, as Argus took a sip of drink and started in.

*************************************

The pyre started to crumble, as the flames ate away at the wood. The congregation on shore were hit with a blast of heat, as the fire was condensed to a heap of burning logs. Gregor silenced his pipes, as Grayson and Sorley led Anne and Heather away. They helped the Ladies mount their horses and led them back along the shore, a group of people lighting the way with torches for them.

As they rounded the point and started along Duich's shores, Grayson stopped.

"What is it Grayson?" Anne asked him.

Grayson looked to her and then Heather and Sorley, before answering.

"I ha'e an idea tae pay the homage ye were wanting tae gi' tae Jacob, as well as increase the prosperity of yer lands."

Anne looked at him with a sense of wonder, at how this man before her had not only given her son and family a tribute of great honour, but was now telling her he could provide her with a way to give thanks to the man who had saved her life and that of her clan.

"What is it ye wish tae do, Grayson?"

"I had a thought gi'en tae me, after we were finished preparing...," Grayson left out what they had just done, "It was right here that it came tae me. A village, Anne. Right here on this shore where we stand noo. It'll increase yer prosperity, as well as help wi' defence. Ye can call it Dornie and gi' the man the honour ye wish tae show him."

Grayson stood looking at Anne after telling her, then to Heather. He waited for a response to what he had said, but only the most heart-felt smile came to Anne's face. She asked to be helped down and Sorley assisted her. She came to Grayson and stood before him, her admiration clearly showing in her eyes, even in the torch-lit darkness. She reached up and gently touched his cheek with the palm of her hand, her eyes once again welling with tears.

"Thank ye, Grayson." was all she said, before she hugged him tightly.

Grayson felt the happiness in himself swell, knowing her answer was given so lovingly. Heather asked to be helped down and she too hugged Grayson with deep affection.

"Let's get everyone back tae the castle noo. We can talk of it there." Grayson told them, still worried about MacRae having any men watching the area and having a chance of doing harm to them.

Anne and Heather took each of Grayson's arms and walked with him back to the castle. Sorley led both horses and stared at the man before him. For all his lack of contact with Grayson, he felt a deep sense of honour and pride in knowing him. He felt in his heart, he had met a man worth admiring, not just for the dedication to duty he had shown, but the true love of his people he openly displayed. Sorley felt a dire need to do whatever he could to assist in defending Donan and the MacDonnell's, but also the MacDonald's and their holdings as well.

The throng of people entered the grounds and soon broke up and went about their lives once more. The only difference now, was the closure and pride for their clan they held in their hearts again. Grayson led Anne and Heather into the hall and sat them down, while Sorley came in with his son Randal and joined them. They sat and talked of how big a village it should be and how it should be constructed. Grayson gave out all his ideas that he had imagined, allowing them to visualize it in their minds.

As the night wore on and the fires grew dim, everyone started to make their way to bed and much-needed sleep. Grayson, Robert, Sorley and Randal sat in the hall, still quaffing cups of ale together. It wasn't long, before the talk turned to the prior events that Sorley had faced. The telling of how the English had massacred his people on Rathlin Island and then of his son being beheaded, left Grayson and Robert feeling their trials in life were minor in comparison. Sorley brought Grayson up to date, with his sailing to Tioram and dropping off Therese with Arabella and Garreth, before they made their way to Donan. Grayson smiled to himself, knowing Garreth was out of danger and healing well. He also held a gladness in his heart, knowing how seeing Therese again, would make his heart fill with joy.

By the wee hours of the morning, they had created a bond of trust and respect for each other, that solidified their commitment to aid and assist each other in any way possible. A sense of family, beyond distant kinship, grew between them and as the first echoes of light appeared, they made their way to rooms and slept soundly. Grayson closed his eyes and only one thought remained in his mind. His love for Heather. He resolved to himself, that at the first moment it was possible to ask, he wanted to take Heather's hand in marriage. He knew in his heart and mind, his offer would be accepted by her and finally dwelt in the land of dreams, imagining themselves together.

*******************************************

"Okay, that was'ne so bad noo, was it?" Argus asked them, after finishing.

The guests smiled at him and some gave a small clap of applause, as well.

"I'd tell some more, but I want Stuart tae finish up aboot Garreth and Therese meeting again. I know ye's are all anxious tae know what happened between them. I am tae, because I don't know what happened either." Argus told them.

Stuart took the wooden box with the Luck of Dunvegan and handed it to Tavish, as he locked the door to his office behind them. They walked back into the hall and Tavish handed Stuart the box and sat beside Argus again. Argus leaned close to Tavish and whispered what he had said to them and Tavish smiled and clapped Argus on the back.

"Nicely done, Argus. Stuart has something noo, that will take away any feelings of doubt, that we can see on their faces, as we tell them all this. Wait till ye see their faces when he opens that box in front of him." Tavish whispered quietly, not wanting to give away the surprise of it.

Stuart called for attention and was given it immediately, everyone's curiosity peaked with what was in the box before him.

"I know that some of ye's don't really believe what we're telling ye's, that it's all a fanciful tale. I've decided ye need some proof and let ye's see fer yerselves, that it's all true. The first thing I want tae show ye's, is this." Stuart told them and unlocked the box.

Everyone came around the table to him and strained to get a good look. When Stuart felt they were ready, he opened the box and heard the gasps of surprise fill the room. He held the box up and showed the two inch, rounded stone to everyone, the bull's head detail only slightly worn away from centuries of past chiefs holding it for luck.

Looks were given to Stuart in total amazement, seeing actual proof of something he had described, now being shown to them. Once everyone had studied it to their acceptance, he closed the box and left it in front of him.

"I know ye's were ha'ing a hard time believing all we've told ye, so far. It does soond like quite the tale. But rest assured, I ha'e more tae show ye's later on. This is nothing, compared tae what I ha'e waiting in my office. Am I right, Tavish?" Stuart said and turned to Tavish beside him.

"Aye, it's true. I know what Stuart has fer ye all tae see later. There'll no be one shred of doubt or scepticism among ye's, after ye see it. That's a promise." Tavish spoke with complete confidence it was so.

Argus motioned for Stuart to come to him, so he could whisper.

"I ha'e something as well, remember and I know yer dying tae know what it is. I'm just waiting fer the right moment in the story tae tell it. Noo, I finished telling of the tribute and homage paid tae the MacDonnell's and Jacob Dornie and left off wi' Sorley and Grayson. I told them ye'd pick up wi' Garreth and Therese and what happened at Tioram after she arrived."

Stuart clapped Argus on the back and smiled at him. It was smile of thanks, for not upsetting the guests again and also because he was enjoying the suspense of Argus' news. He stood back up and looked at everyone, still marvelling at seeing an actual piece of history. He tapped his glass for their attention and no hesitation was made, as they took their seats and give him their undivided attention once more.

"Noo, as Argus has just told me, yer all waiting tae know aboot Therese and Garreth and what happened after she arrived."

Nods of agreement were given and all were settled down to hear of their hero and heroine and what happened between them.

*****************************************

Garreth led Therese to an area they had privacy in and held her closely, relishing the feel of her body against his. They parted, only slightly and with the briefest of moments to look at each other, their lips met and they kissed each other with all the love their hearts held for each other. Sounds from the kitchen had them stop, so Garreth led Therese up to Arabella's chambers, where once again, behind closed doors, their lips sought out the means to express their love to one another.

When their passions were sated enough to stop, it was Therese who spoke first and asked what had happened to him. Garreth told her of what had happened in the Earl's office and how Douglas was declaring Eilean Donan to be held by the MacRae's. He explained how the Earl had thrown a paper weight at Grayson and how it bounced off his chest to the floor. Even through the seriousness of what Garreth was saying, Therese had to laugh at the scene in her mind that Garreth described. He told her how he had bent down to pick it up and the cross came out and the Earl saw it.

Therese looked at Garreth's chest, hoping her cross was till around his neck. Garreth pulled it out and showed her it was safe and kissed it, before tucking it back under his tunic. Therese smiled her happiest, knowing her love had protected her one treasure. Garreth looked at her with expectancy and Therese knew he needed to see his heirloom as well. She opened her small satchel and took it out and held it in her palm. Garreth placed his hand over hers and smiled, as he once again kissed her.

Garreth told of how Grayson and him escaped from the office and were riding out of the castle, when he was struck by the arrow. Therese showed great concern about what had happened, so Garreth raised his kilt and showed her the healing wound, still red and swollen. Therese's face showed her concern, but Garreth laughed and said he was fine, that he had suffered far worse in battle. They moved to sit in the chairs beside the fire and Garreth asked what had brought her to Tioram.

Therese explained her return to France and soon after, the trial and hanging. Then she told him of her appointment by the King, declaring her as Lady Therese de Mornay de Trecesson and the charter giving her the chateau and the estate. She went on to say how she had been out riding that same day, when she was clubbed and taken to St. Brieuc. She told him she was being taken back to the Earl and was going to be forced to marry him, against her will.

Garreth started to fume at what she told him. The anger and rage at what the Earl had done to her, set a fire ablaze in him for vengeful justice. He listened to what Sorley had done to the two lieutenants and felt some justice was dealt out. He asked where they were now, but Therese could only say that she never saw them again, once she went into the castle. She told him how well she was treated by Sorley and his men and then their assistance in bringing her to Tioram, bringing Garreth up to date with the events, as they happened.

Garreth pulled her to him and held her close, wanting to show how much he cared for her. She looked up into his eyes with hers, the love they held clearly showing in all its depth. He rose from the chair and genuflected before and took her right hand in both of his. He looked into her eyes and with all the power of the love in his heart, he asked her to marry him. Therese's eyes filled with tears of sheer happiness and knelt before him, holding both his hands in hers. It took no more than her saying the single word, "Yes," to set their hearts on a course for a blissful journey together. Once more their lips joined, but now the kiss held a promise, one as man and wife.

Garreth and Therese wasted no time in coming back into the hall. Most of the people had left and gone back to what they were doing, or to their assigned positions. Arabella sat in front of the fire, a look of distress worrying her face. Garreth silently asked the attending staff to leave them, which they did, without question. Arabella stirred from her thoughts, as she noticed the staff leaving and turned to the couple at her side.

"Bella, we ha'e an announcement tae make. I've asked Therese tae marry me and she's accepted." his was voice calm sounding, but full of the emotion he was holding inside.

Arabella looked at Garreth and then to Therese. It took all her will-power to swallow her pain and force a smile of happiness to her face. She rose slowly and came to them, holding her hands out to them. As they took one each, the tears in her eyes flowed, her smile disguising them as tears of happiness.

"Therese, Garreth, I could'ne be happier at hearing yer news. I know ye'll ha'e years of great love and joy tae share between ye's."

Therese pulled her into a loving hug, smiling with all the joy of the moment. Garreth looked into Arabella's eyes, strained with the conflicting emotions he knew she was feeling and felt the happiness in him diminish. He knew what their news must be doing to her heart, remembering the intimate moment they had just shared a couple of days past. Therese let go of her and Arabella stood in front of Garreth.

The two shared an extended moment between them, their eyes speaking volumes of their thoughts. Arabella placed her hands on his cheeks and looked with great longing and despair into his eyes. Garreth saw the pain surfacing behind her fictitious happiness and drew her to him. Therese was confounded by the unusual looks between them, their recent past completely unknown to her.

Arabella couldn't stand to feel her heart ripped apart any further and tears flowed from her eyes, her face distorted from the turmoil inside her. She released Garreth and ran from them towards her chambers. Therese stood in suspended animation, as she looked at Garreth for an answer to what had happened. He looked at her and she saw the pain in his blue-grey eyes, and tried to fathom what it was they had just shared.

"Ye'd better go and see tae Arabella, Therese. I'm hoping ye can ease her heart and the pain it holds. There's so much that has happened tae her, that she hasn't told ye and I ha'e no thoughts on what tae do tae help her." was all Garreth could summon as a response.

Therese was a mix of conflicting emotions, trying to get control over them. The extreme joys of marriage to the man she loved and adored, battled the sadness and sorrow, her best friend was feeling. She looked in his eyes and saw more was hidden in them. More than either had said or let on and her suspicions of something unsaid started to grow in her mind. She touched his arm and walked away towards the stairs, turning back once, to see Garreth standing with his bowed and his broad shoulders slumping, the stifled sound of a sob escaping from him.

Therese ascended the stairs and stopped before Arabella's chamber door and heard the weeping of her friend inside. She gathered herself together emotionally and found the strength to commit to knocking at her door. When no reply came, she was about to knock again, but decided to just enter and be with her friend. She quietly entered the room and saw Arabella lying on her bed, her face buried in the pillow and sobbing loudly. She came to her side and sat on the edge of the bed, placing her hand gently on her back.

"Arabella, sister of my heart, it pains me to see you in such a state as this. I beg of you, tell me what is wrong. I wish to help you."

Arabella caught herself in between sobs, feeling the soft hand touching her. She lifted her head and looked into Therese's eyes, clearly showing great concern for her and turned away, burying her face once more in shame.

"I can not bear to see you like this, Arabella, it pains me so, to know you hurt. Let me help you ease your suffering, tell me what it is. I won't leave your side, until I know you are at ease." Therese told her, as she stroked Arabella's long, ginger tresses.

Arabella knew she had to face her at some point in time and divulge what she held in check in her heart. She raised her head once more and looked into the loving eyes Therese held for her. She shifted her position enough, so that she buried her face into Therese's lap and wrapped her arms around her waist. Therese held her and comforted her, waiting until she had settled down enough to tell her what was wrong. Arabella finally summoned the courage to speak and sat up. She held Therese's hand tightly, not wanting to lose the love of her friend, that she held in her heart so dearly.

"I've done ye a terrible wrong, Therese. I did'ne know it was wrong when I did it, but e'en after I did know, I still knew it was something that should ne'er ha'e happened." Therese's heart sank, the disclosure this was something that involved her, making her mind race for answers.

"What could you have done, that was so bad towards me, ma souer?"

Therese's question left Arabella with no other choice but to tell her the truth. Through shameful tears of admission, she bared her heart to her friend.

"I had relations wi' Garreth, not long before ye arrived. I did'ne know about the two of ye's. I've always held a place in my heart fer him. I've ne'er told ye this before, my darling sister, but that time back in the convent, when the Mother Superior punished me, it was my feelings for Garreth that made me want tae touch myself like that. E'en when I married Logan MacLean, I still held a spot fer him here." as she held Therese's hand to her heart.

Arabella felt the compelling need to empty her heart to Therese, the disclosure one she knew would always be held in the strictest of confidences, no matter what she told her. Arabella released the bottled up pains inside, of loving the same man as her.

"I swore tae myself I could'ne love another after he was killed. I was sure of it, but despite my reservations of it, Braedon Stewart, Chief of the Stewart's of Appin, had taken hold in me and I was sure we would be t'gether. The loss of his son has driven him away from me, e'en though I begged him tae stay. He's ne'er sent word tae me, he wants me back. I prayed tae God fer an answer tae know what tae do. I knew then that God had made me hold a place in my heart fer Garreth. He'd always been there since I was a young lass. Always so close tae me, always showing me affections, but ne'er going further than a kiss on my cheek fer my thirteenth birthday. Is he only tae be like a brother tae me, when I've wanted more wi him? How was I tae know which one he was tae me? I went wi' my heart, the way I thought it spoke tae me."

By the time Arabella had finished telling her the entire contents of her heart, Therese held Arabella to her bosom and comforted her. She was devastated by the news, but knew it was no one's fault that it happened. The two sat for the longest time, Arabella clinging to Therese, not wanting her to abandon their friendship, while Therese held her, trying to make a sense of it, to ease her own heart. Once emotion faded and reality took hold, Therese knew what her heart held to be true.

12