Blood of the Clans Ch. 32

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I swear tae ye Sloan Fraser. We've ne'er seen they birlinns before. We don't know any of the clans ye're talking aboot. We're just farmers and keep tae oor own. I've told ye's already, we don't come doon here."

Glendon, nor his sons, voiced any objection to Sloan laying claim to the discovered birlinns. To them, they were just as happy to see them leave the area. Glendon's only concern was being implicated with them or the clans they belonged to. One thing Sloan said, did make him pause to think. If there were six boats here, where were the other four and why did Sloan Fraser have so many?

"I believe ye, Glendon. Ye don't look the type of man tae be sorting wi' men like that. We were farmers tae. I know what kind of people ye are and I trust ye's."

Glendon and his son's took on faces of relief, hearing they had no part in the birlinns or the clans.

"Come then, we'll go back tae the hoose and try tae feed the lot of us." Glendon announced, bringing the mood back to one of friendship and hospitality.

Sloan had the men pull their birlinns in tight with the others and used the branches and limbs to cover the view from the loch. Once satisfied, they headed back the half mile to the stone cottage, where swirls of smoke from the hearth spelled warmth and food.

"We ha'e some food left from oor site, Glendon. We'll be honoured tae share what we ha'e wi' ye's. It gi's us a moments peace tae be among clan and no ha'e tae worry aboot oor lives. We ha'e no idea if Stewart will e'en let us side wi' him, but wi' what I ha'e tae tell him, I'm hoping he'll see tae reason and let us unite."

Glendon looked at the ground and then to his cottage. In a vision before him, his place was on fire and bodies lay on the ground. He turned to Sloan and saw a black shroud surrounding him, darkening his sight of him. He looked away, knowing in one way or another, the man walking beside him, was the Porrohman and marked his death. He would either be killed by him tomorrow, or be the reason they were killed. Whenever and however it happened, Sloan Fraser would be the cause of it, that he was sure of.

They reached the cottage and saw Glendon's wife, Wynda, standing in the doorway. Behind her was their daughter Kyla, seventeen and anxious to see men, other than her father and brothers and twenty were coming her way. She did her best to peer around her mother and get a better look at the men coming. Her mother shooed her inside, much to her disappointment, but she kept her eyes peering outside to get a look.

Glendon came to the cottage and stopped. He looked at the men and then to Sloan.

"I don't ha'e enough room fer ye's all tae come inside. The stable has a loft yer men can sleep in and sit, while I see tae the food and call ye's when it's ready. Boys, inside" Glendon instructed his sons.

"We thank ye, Glendon. Yer hospitality is well appreciated by all. Is this yer family?" Sloan asked, looking quickly at Wynda and then longer at Kyla.

Even the loose frock she was wearing didn't hide the ripe maturity of her body. Sloan's eyes met with Kyla's and an instant attraction was made between them. Glendon saw his daughter staring at Sloan and glanced at him. He looked at Wynda and told her to take Kyla in and prepare more food for all the men, hoping to put a halt to the growing amorous feelings she was displaying. Sloan handed Wynda a satchel of food and smiled brightly at Kyla, before her mother hustled her inside and closed the door.

Sloan stood smiling at the door, then turned to see the look of a protective father on Glendon's face. His smile vanished quickly, as he knew Glendon read his thoughts, leaving him feeling like a fox in the hen house. Glendon slowly shook his head, knowing what Sloan was thinking of and turned away. He led the men to the stable and showed them where they could eat and sleep for the night, the loose straw making far more comfort than the bare ground.

No sooner had Glendon left and out of earshot, then the men were talking about his daughter, Kyla. She had made quite an impression on them with her looks, her long, dark hair draping over her right shoulder, while her dark, brown eyes sparkled with youthful exuberance. They talked of her ripe body and bountiful breasts and how she was ready for motherhood and mostly nights under the robes, feeling her soft curves pressed against them. Sloan added his own thoughts about her, but kept his thoughts of being with her to himself.

In his mind, he had thoughts of Maglyn and his unborn child and turned to look at the bluff. The light of the pyre lit up the inky, night sky, reminding him who lay atop it. His heart tore at remembering them together, from their first meeting, to the expectancy of their first child. He looked back at the cottage and thought of Kyla. There were no similarities between Maglyn and her, but there was something about her that attracted him to her. He felt the tingle go through him the moment their eyes met.

As the men shared lurid thoughts of what Kyla might be like under the robes, Sloan silently weighed out his feelings. His heart wasn't ready to let go of Maglyn's presence there, but he knew he wanted to feel Kyla's presence, when the time came to let Maglyn

go.

Close to an hour later, Glendon came back and told the men that their food was ready and to come and be served. They retrieved their bowls and were soon lined up outside the door waiting for a taste of whatever smelled so good, coming from the pot on the hearth. Wynda ladled out the stew, a combination of vegetables and whatever meat was available. Sloan waited until all the men were fed, before he took his serving.

He kept his eyes on Kyla as much as he could, shifting them if he thought Glendon or Wynda looked at him. He took in her looks and her rounded curves, feeling a lust grow in him. In a moment, his mind shut her out and remembered about the visions. Tearing his eyes away from her, he turned to Glendon.

"Glendon, would ye object tae me eating wi' ye's? I'd like tae talk tae ye."

Glendon looked at him and then to Wynda, before he looked at Kyla, smiling with expectant hope. He knew if she was here and so was Sloan, the likelihood of anything happening was minimized.

"Aye, we can make a place fer ye, Sloan. Boys, make some room fer Sloan tae sit wi' ye's."

Sloan watched the boys slide down the bench and make him a spot to sit and eat. Kyla quickly took her spot opposite him and soon all were eating. The stew smelled and tasted good to Sloan, having spent the entire day exerting himself and nothing to eat. While happily eating and looking about the small, stone cottage, he felt something rising up his leg. Looking at Kyla and the sly look in her eyes, he knew it to be her foot making its way along his thigh, under his kilt. Sloan quickly stopped her foot from making it all the way to his crotch, without bringing attention to what was happening. Kyla kept pushing with her foot to make it to her goal, while Sloan fought her off and ate his stew.

The struggle came to a head, when Sloan's hand slipped off Kyla's foot, allowing it to make contact with his pride and his testicles. Not only did it send Sloan sliding off the bench, but brought him into great agony, the excruciating pain making him curl in a ball, with his hands holding onto himself gently. Glendon had seen Kyla slide forward and knew what had happened. He glared at her, the anger growing as he rose from the table. He came around and grabbed her by the hair, pulling her from her seat.

"Ye harlot. Ye sinful, God-less harlot." Glendon called her, as he slapped her face and head.

Kyla tried to block the slaps, screaming in pain, as her father rained them down on her.

"Stop! Don't hit her again, Glendon. She did'ne do anything tae deserve that." Sloan shouted, as he beseeched Glendon.

"Don't tell me what tae do in my hoose, Fraser. Kin or no, ye've no right tae tell me hoo tae deal wi' my family." Glendon shot back in anger.

He turned and slapped Kyla twice more, before Sloan was off the floor and took hold of his hand. Glendon tried yanking it out of Sloan's grasp, but it was held too tightly. He looked at Sloan with rage, insulted he would come in to his place and treat him like this. Sloan looked back in defiance, holding onto Glendon's wrist firmly. Glenn and Blair were off the bench and ready to help their father, until they saw the ten inch blade of Sloan's dirk waving in front of their eyes. Sloan held it to Glendon's eye and let him see how close he was to it. Glendon calmed down and didn't fight at Sloan anymore, realizing how dire his situation had become.

"Don't hit her again. I've just lost all the women of my clan and I can'ne stand by and watch another be hurt. She's done me no wrong, Glendon. Maybe a little tae obvious in her affections fer me, but no something tae lay a beating like that on her fer." Sloan told him, his eyes showing the pain of his loss, then embarrassment of what was done and

then his concern for Kyla.

Glendon's rage lessened on his face, as he thought of what he had just seen earlier and knew had happened to Sloan's clan. He looked at Wynda's concern written boldly across her face, then to his son's, who looked at him the same. He began to realize how thankful he should be, that he still had them with him, alive and well. He looked at Sloan and released Kyla's hair, then helped her up from the dirty, wooden floor. He held her at arms length and looked at her, realizing how much he truly cared about her. As his heart began filling with his love for her, he pulled her tight to his chest and hugged her.

Slowly, Kyla's arms went around Glendon and she hugged her father back, accepting the unspoken apology of his affections. Sloan walked past them both and patted Glendon on his shoulder, sliding his dirk back in its sheath, as he took his seat again beside Sinclair. Glendon kissed his daughter on the top of her head, before he gave her a look to behave and then sat in his chair. Kyla looked at her father and then at Sloan, a rebellious twinkle still glinting in the dark pools, letting him know she was undeterred in letting him know her feelings hadn't changed.

Sloan saw the sparkle and subtle facial change and knew she was as interested in him, as he was in her. He looked away and turned to Glendon, knowing only more trouble would ensue if he paid Kyla anymore attention. He wanted to know more about his insights and visions and if he could see anything else.

"Glendon, I wanted tae ask ye aboot yer visions. Hoo long ha'e ye been able tae see them?"

Glendon finished chewing down his food and then looked at Sloan, a measurement passing between them

"I started tae get them when I was a young boy. I did'ne say anything tae anyone aboot them at first. Once they started tae come true, I was feared that Lucifer had possessed me. It was my mother that knew something was up wi' me. She saw hoo I was, when something happened and I acted like I'd seen it all before. When I told her I had, she told me I was gi'en a gift and not a curse. I had the chance to know what would happen and prepare fer it." Glendon told Sloan openly, unashamed of his powers.

"What kind of things do ye see? Is it only terrible things, or do ye see good things as well?" Sloan asked, hoping Glendon might see good fortune.

"I saw Wynda and I t'gether, long before I met her. I knew we'd be here, I saw it happening. The storm that came a week past, I knew aboot it. I saw the rage it held and we prepared oorselves fer it tae come. We suffered no losses because of it, unlike the other farmers here aboot. I told ye already of the troubles that are coming. Sometimes I see things that make me pray fer my soul." Glendon told him, but the look in his eyes held more than he was saying.

Sloan wasn't the only one who noticed it and Wynda's look became worrisome.

"What is it, Glendon? What do ye see?" she asked him, knowing he was holding back.

"I'll no speak of it the noo. Finish yer meals and leave me be." he told them with authority.

Everyone looked at him, their eyes still beseeching him to let them know. Glendon scowled back at everyone, letting them know he was serious to leave it alone. Sloan looked at Wynda and then to the others, seeing the concern on their faces and wondered what they knew, that he didn't. The rest of the meal passed in strained silence, as Sloan felt his chance at questioning Glendon was over. He sat and contemplated what Glendon might know and why he wasn't telling them.

Once the last mouthful had gone into his mouth, Sloan cleaned off his knife and slid it back into its sheath on his waist. He looked at the family and rose.

"I thank ye's fer yer hospitality and the food, it's been greatly appreciated. My men thank

ye as well. I'll go noo and be wi' them and we'll leave in the dawning. I offer my apologies fer earlier, but ye understand noo, why. Goodnight tae ye's all." Sloan told them tersely, sensing the strain growing between them.

Kyla looked heart-broken at the news, while Glendon and the rest smiled politely, happier that his presence was leaving them and taking the tensive state with him. Sloan looked at the tear-filled eyes of Kyla and felt his own eyes welling, knowing they had something between them. He turned and walked quickly from the cottage and headed for the stable and his men.

They asked what went on inside and Sloan told them of Glendon's visions. They sat agog, listening to him relate of events Glendon had seen and finished with the unspoken troubles that were coming. They questioned Sloan, wanting to know more, but he shook his head and told them Glendon wouldn't divulge any more information.

The men lay on the straw that they had strewn about, discussing the subject of visions. Sloan eased out of the conversation and let his mind drift back to Kyla. The connection between them was stronger now, he felt it. He knew from his decision to defend her, that he felt for her, more than just a reaction to his clan's massacre.

Sleep came hard for all the men, as personal memories flooded thoughts and minds. As the quiet of night allowed them peace of mind, the torment of loss invaded their hearts with screaming agonies. Fleeting moments of faces and voices, fresh in their memories, haunted them, reminding them of their oath. Fate came and paid a visit to each of them, casting destinies upon them, shaping the days to come and what would happen.

The snorting and chuffing of the horses woke the men at daybreak. The overcast was gone, bringing a morning brighter to their destination. They rose and stretched, relieving the tension from their muscles and joints. Sloan looked at the cottage, thinking to himself that they had stayed their welcome and should leave immediately. They broke several loaves of bread apart, and shared the last of the dried meat and water in the skins, giving themselves a scant meal to start the day.

They made their way through the plowed fields, stepping between the newly sown rows, until the wild grasses started, making sure not to damage the new crops starting to grow. In minutes they had made their way to the wooded inlet and walked to the end of the trees. Sloan turned to the same five men and gave them instructions to ride to the far end of Lismore with the horses and wait for them there. It was only a little over a mile across the water to Castle Stalker, making it easy to get back to them and tell them of their news.

The five wished the others a good voyage and made their way back to the paddock to get the horses. The fifteen cleared off the last birlinn and pushed it out into the water, then tied it off and brought out the next birlinn. It was tied to the stern and once again the process was done, until all six birlinns were tied and ready to sail around Eilean Musdile and north along the far side. They boarded and took their places, setting oars and untied the boats. They rowed out into the open waters and raised the sail, allowing them an easy trip up the coast. The oars were brought back in and stowed, letting the men relax and enjoy the day. Spray misted up and over the bow, cooling the faces of the men upfront, while the others basked in the warming sunshine of the rising sun.

Sloan stood at the prow, holding onto the ornately carved figurehead, as he kept his eyes open for any sails on the horizon. Blain manned the helm, guiding them north, keeping his eyes peeled on the coasts, hoping no one spotted their passing. As the rolling waves kept the birlinns rocking up and down, Sloan lost his footing and slipped onto the oilskin below his feet. The cry of pain from a woman, had Sloan reach down and pull the oilskin up. There underneath was Kyla, rubbing her thigh where Sloan had stepped on her. Sloan reached down and helped her up, looking at her with astonishment.

"What are ye doing here, Kyla?" Sloan asked her, as he held her steady.

Kyla looked up at him and smiled happily, as she put her hands on his waist, the same sly, mischievous look she had at dinner, still in her eyes.

"I want tae be wi' ye, Sloan. I don't want tae live my life wi' my family. I don't want tae grow old and wither away an old maid. I fancy ye, Sloan. Ye make my heart aflutter when I look at ye." Kyla confessed, then wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him tightly, stunning Sloan even more.

The men chuckled at hearing what she said, making Sloan redden in the face with embarrassment. He glared at them angrily, but they only laughed louder, making him give up in frustration and laugh too.

"Kyla, ye say things tae me that reach my heart, but I told ye where we were going t'day. It's no right fer ye tae come wi' us, but I don't know what else tae do wi' ye. Ye can'ne be wi' me while I talk tae Laird Braedon, so ye'll ha'e tae wait wi' the men until I'm finished." Sloan told her, a saddened, pouting look coming to her face.

"It'll do ye no good tae gi' me a face like that. If yer tae be wi' me, ye better learn tae know yer place. Ye'll do as I tell ye tae do and obey me. I'm the Chief of these men and one day soon, God willing, I'll be their laird. If ye can't learn tae be and act like a lady should, ye can look fer another." Sloan told her blankly, letting her know her charms and wiles had no effect on him the way she hoped.

Kyla stopped sulking and looked at Sloan. She went through his words in her head and realized he wasn't turning her away, but letting her know that if she really wanted to be with him, she had to change and mature. A softer smile came to her and she bowed her head to him and let it touch his chest.

"I'll do as ye ask, Sloan. Whatever ye ask of me, I'll do it. I'll be yer lady and stand at yer side." her voice barely heard over the wind and waves.

Sloan heard what she said and held her closer to him. His mind wrenched between his still fresh feelings for Maglyn and now with a beautiful, young woman wanting to give herself to him entirely. He held her away gently and looked into her eyes.

"Sit here close tae me and we'll talk of this later. I must ha'e my head aboot me when I see his Lairdship." he said softly with a gentle smile, allowing her a glimpse of affection from him.

Kyla smiled happily and looked at Sloan with admiration. Sloan smiled wider and then saw the smirks and heard the snickers coming from the men.

"Och, away, the lot of ye's. Get back tae what we're yer supposed tae be doing" Sloan shot at them. "And ye, ye just sit and be good. No more of yer foolery." he said to Kyla and gave her look of consternation to let her know he meant it.

The jesting died off and the task at hand became clear again. Sloan looked ahead, chiding himself for breaking watch. All the time he had been looking at Kyla, another birlinn could have sailed right beside him and he wouldn't have noticed, until an arrow was through him. He looked to starboard and watched the entrance to Loch Creran go by, searching the coast for birlinns lurking to ambush them. It was less than three miles to Stalker, but any number of things could happen between the two points.