Blood or Love Ch. 01

Story Info
A vampire's family is desperate for help.
4.4k words
4.42
30.5k
18

Part 1 of the 11 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/15/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note: I have several vampire stories in me, and this is the second one to go on Lit. The vampire mythology is different for this one than "Cruelest of Intentions".

"Blood or Love" will go up in chapters. It's not a stroke piece. I hope you enjoy it anyway. Feedback and votes are appreciated, as always.

------------------


Kim wished she could get a wooden stake through the heart of the asshole who'd turned her husband into a vampire, and ruined their lives. At least we're together despite it all, she thought, walking through the back door of their home. But how much longer now that the formula that held his blood thirst in check for the last year was starting to fail?

"What's the report?" Kim asked Benson, who was sitting at the kitchen table, munching on celery and doing her homework. Jack's younger sister took turns staying with him while Kim worked and slept.

Benson looked up and dropped her pen. "Same thing. It's been what, two weeks now? Maybe he should see a doctor."

"You know that can't happen." Kim opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of iced tea. She mentally noted that the blood supply in the fridge was still full, a good thing.

When she turned back to Benson, the other woman's big brown eyes were shining, and her face was tight with concern. "But, you've seen what this is doing to him. He can hardly keep anything down. He's hot, then cold. He complains of electrical zaps in his brain."

"I don't think they'll know how to treat a vampire," Kim said. "But if this lead works out, we may have help for him very soon." She paused to take a long drink of the cold tea, then said, "You've been making him drink gallons of water, right? That should help flush the toxins out."

Benson sighed. "Of course."

Kim set her tea down and ran both hands through her blonde hair, its pixie-cut accentuating her fine, delicate features. "I know you had a date tonight, and you've already sat with him today, but could you please come back tonight around nine?"

Benson shrugged and began collecting her books and papers up from the table. "Tonight? Yeah, I guess so. I can have Matt meet me here instead. Why? What's going on?"

"I'm going to talk to someone who worked with Dr. Campbell, but wasn't at the lab the day the League attacked." Kim leaned against the table. "My friend, Charli, set up a conference call with him tonight at nine. She helped me find him in the first place. His name is Dr. Kitcher. I have a really good feeling about him."

"Oh, that's good news," Benson adjusted the purse strap on her shoulder. "Hope he works out better than the last two leads." She gave a toss of her light brown hair that sent it skimming around her shoulders. "Well, I'll be here before nine then. Later, Kim."

Kim shut the door behind Benson and collapsed at the kitchen table. She was so tired. It had been ten months since they found out that the organization of vampires, known only as the League, killed Dr. Campbell and destroyed his lab along with all the known antidote. Since then, all she'd done was work and try to find someone else who could help Jack. Now they were down to the wire, and it seemed like she could actually hope again.

The antidote was the only solution for vampirism they knew of, but it only worked temporarily - a year was the most any vampire had stayed humanly conscious in Dr. Campbell's research. Jack was coming up on a year now, and it seemed he was starting to revert.

She knew if they didn't find another source soon, he wasn't going to make it. Or else, she thought, Benson and I aren't gonna make it.

She sipped her iced tea and thought about how so much had changed after Jack took the injection. He'd lost his taste for blood, thank God, yet his body still seemed to require tiny amounts of it. Once a day, she mixed a tube of it into soups and drinks, since he could tolerate some liquids.

But two weeks ago, when the regression started, he had insomnia around the clock. If he could doze off at all, it was fitful tossing and turning because of his nausea and pains. Last week, he'd started asking for more blood, but she only increased the amount by a little. She was truly alarmed by his sudden cravings. She figured they had six weeks to find more antidote. But she knew six weeks was being generous.

She reached for a cup, filled it with hot water and dunked a tea bag in it. Then she walked into the living room where Jack had sprawled out on the couch.

Some of his soft, dark hair, which had grown shaggy, was plastered down around his face. Other pieces were standing up. The long, sinewy body, that she missed holding against her in bed, was covered in blankets. She knew those covers might be tossed aside any minute when the hot flashes took over again.

She carefully sat beside him on the couch and rubbed an exposed shoulder. "Here, baby, have some chamomile tea. It will help you feel better."

He turned his head and looked at her. She noted how his usually snapping, dark eyes were bleary and red. His face was paler than normal, and a slight sheen covered his skin.

He raised up slowly. "Thanks, Kim." Jack's normally strong, confident voice was hoarse, soft. He sipped from the cup, clacking it back down on the saucer as his hands shook. "So, Benny has babysitting duty again tonight?"

She didn't miss the shame in his voice.

"Yeah. But it'll be more than just Benson. She wants you to meet the new guy she's dating. She thinks he's someone who can help."

He took another sip, but she saw the look that crossed his features. "Benson's seeing someone? Nobody told me."

"She just met him last week. She knows how you are when she brings dates around."

"And she's told him about me?" He set the cup down on the table a little too forcefully. "This is just making things more complicated."

"Don't get upset. We're running out of time and options here, Jack. We can't afford to pass on any prospective lead. We just want you better."

Jack leaned back against his pillow again, shut his eyes, and inhaled.

Kim's hands smoothed gently across his arm. "I promised you I'd find more antidote, and I intend to keep that promise." She reached down and smoothed a sweaty strand of hair out of his eyes. "Tell me, on a scale of one to ten, how human do you still feel?"

He sighed. "I don't know. Maybe an eight? I'm too sick to feel much at all, though."

"When he gave you the injection last year, Dr. Campbell told us this sickness is temporary, and you'll be fine again for a while." She gave what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

Jack shrugged his shoulders. "He also said some of his subjects quickly degenerated into full-on vampirism."

"I don't think that will happen with you. You're strong mentally. We still have time to get the cure."

"I hope so, else you'll have to stake me."

She recoiled. "Don't joke about it."

"Who's joking?" he said, his voice glum. "If we don't get the treatment in about four more weeks, someone will have to do it. I'll be too far gone."

"Hopefully you'll have the injection sooner than that." She nestled on the couch against him. His arm curled around her, holding her against his cold, trembling body. He felt fragile to her, and that was not something she was used to. She looked up into his pained eyes. "Can you tell if any of your vampire power is getting stronger?"

He rubbed his fingertips through her short hair, tracing patterns on her scalp that made her tickle inside.

"I think my hearing, sight and smell have improved. You know certain smells just about kill me, like Benny's hand lotion." He made a face.

Kim laughed. "Sounds like my sister when she was pregnant. Certain smells just undid her, even things she liked before, like coffee."

"That's it," Jack said. "I'm so tired of being sick. I think it will be a little while before I feel like throwing cars around, you know." He tried a smile, but it came out weak.

She reluctantly sat up. "Yeah, well keep taking it easy. Keep taking the pain-killer, and the ginger for your dizziness, and lots of water. I'll be back later to take care of you.

He reached up and stroked her cheek. "If you don't start taking care of yourself, you're gonna get sick, Kim. I wish you didn't have to put yourself through all this for me."

"I'll be fine. I can't stop until we have the antidote. I really think it's within our grasp now, and when it is, we can all rest easy." She stood up. "Here's the remote if you want it."

He waved his hand at it. "No thanks. TV would just give me a headache now."

She leaned down and kissed him on the forehead, then went back in the kitchen to fix something to eat. About nine o'clock, she left for Charli's place.

* * *

Jack lay there, tossing and turning on the couch, sweating and freezing. He didn't know he'd fallen asleep until the sound of Benson's key in the door woke him.

In walked Benson. When she shut the door, the air rushed his way, bringing her overabundant scents of fruity lotion, matching body spray, and hair products right to his nostrils. He swallowed, waiting for a wave of nausea to pass. Then he opened his eyes.

She wasn't wearing enough clothes, was his first thought. He glowered at the skirt that hit well above the knee, showing too much bare leg, and the tight, off-shoulder top. His eyes bore into hers.

She looked bashful, knowing her choice of date attire incensed him. "Hey, Jack," she said. "I guess you heard, change of plans. Matt's going to meet me here." She walked over to the couch, leaned down and gave him a kiss on the forehead. "I want you act nice to him, OK? Do it for me." Then she walked back around to the chair directly across from him and flopped down in it.

Jack sat halfway up, still glaring at her. "Your clothes aren't revealing at all, are they?"

She sighed. "Here we go. I'm twenty-one years old, I can wear whatever the hell I want, so don't start on me." Benson kicked her leg back and forth against the chair. "Anyway, he wants to talk to you. He thinks he might be able to help. He's a good card player too, and a real nice guy. I think you'll like him."

"I didn't even know you were seeing anyone, Benny."

"You haven't exactly been conscious the last two weeks." She looked down at the floor for a moment. "Well, uh, I didn't want to say anything to you yet, cause I know how crazy you get." She stuck out her tongue at him, then said, "I met Matt over the internet."

Jack groaned. "Why, Benny? Can't you just meet a guy at church or school? I can't believe you're dating weirdos off the internet."

"God, Jack, he's not weird. It's not like we haven't talked for hours, and we've met a couple times already." When she saw his look, she added, "but always in a public place, of course. I'm not stupid, you know. Besides, lots of people meet on the internet now."

"It's creepy."

She laughed. "That's funny, coming from you - my big brother, the creepy vampire. Sure, at first it went against my instincts to keep seeing him." She sighed. "But he's just so damn pretty."

"Whoa, back up. What do you mean it went against your instincts?" Jack adjusted his position on the couch and stared intently at her face.

Humans were supposed to feel a little on edge around vampires, it was a subconscious vibe – an instinct that told them a dangerous predator was near. Kim and Benny had become mostly used to it, living with a vampire for the last year. So if Benny's date set off her alarm bells, there must have been good reason, he thought.

Benson rolled her eyes. "He's just too perfect, is what I mean. He's so sweet...charming...good looking and mature for his age."

"Sounds like trouble to me," Jack said. "Tell me everything you know about him."

She sighed, and then a smile broke out on her face. Her eyes lit up. "His name is Matt Canter, and he's tall...so muscular and hot. Oh, and the most dreamy blue eyes."

Jack shook his head. "That's not what I meant! I'll cut right to the chase-what's his favorite beverage?"

"Geez, do I have to know everything about a guy I just started dating?"

"Well you know there are these creatures out there called vampires, and-"

"Jack, get real. He's not a vampire, OK? I think I'd know if the guy I'm seeing is a vampire."

"Tell me this, did you ever see him in the sun?"

"Well...no. Both times, we met in a restaurant at night." She looked surprised and then angry. "He's not a vampire, OK? He's just really knowledgeable about them."

"I worry for you is all, Benny. Vampires are nothing to mess around with."

Benny jumped out of her chair and stalked away from it. When she turned, she was nearly exploding with anger. "I've sure cleaned up enough of your messes lately...VAMPIRE, more like 'puking vampire'." Her face twisted in disgust.

Jack, no longer cold, threw his blankets on the floor with an angry jerk. "I never asked you to."

She walked back to the door and leaned up against it, arms crossed. "I don't know if letting him meet you is such a good idea after all, if you're gonna act this way." Her eyes flashed to the phone on the table nearby and then back at Jack. "Do you want me to uninvite him? I could call and tell him the vampire's too sick and grouchy for company."

Jack's head was starting to hurt, and he put a hand up to rub it. "That's OK. I'd rather meet the guy, actually. And if he is a vampire, I'll kill him." I might kill him anyway, he thought.

"Ha, you're in no shape to hurt a flea at the moment."

"Maybe, maybe not." Then he remembered something else, and his tone changed. "Benny, do you still have that protection Kim gave you?"

Benson's dark eyes flickered in confusion. "NoVamp? I have a bottle I keep in my purse. Then I can just spray as needed."

Jack rolled his eyes. "You do know that by the time you realize you need it, it'll be too late to go digging through your purse for it?" To demonstrate, he was across the room in an instant and grabbed her, one hand clutching her shoulder, the other in her long hair, pulling her head to the side and exposing her bare neck.

Benson blinked, then it appeared her brain and eyes caught up with what happened. She looked up at him and screeched in surprise, pushing her hands against his chest. He let her push him away. But he caught a delicious whiff of her fear-spiked blood among the obnoxious scents she was wearing, and to his dismay, his mouth watered.

"Gah! You scared the hell out of me, dammit!" She was clearly shaken and upset. "Don't sneak up on me like that, Jack."

It felt like the room was spinning around him. Jack limped back to the other side of the room and collapsed on the couch. "Uhh." He moaned, holding his head. "Aw, damn. I shouldn't have used my speed right now. It just made my headache worse."

In the back of his mind, he was wondering when his speed had increased that much. He hadn't been that fast since before he took the antidote last year. Shit, he was definitely regressing.

"Good, serves you right."

"Anyway, I was just trying to prove a point. You're more vulnerable than you realize. You're supposed to spray it all over yourself before you need it."

Benson's nose scrunched up. "But I hate the way that stuff has a garlic smell about it. Yuck, who wants to smell like that? You just want to keep the guys away from me, not the vampires."

Jack knew the NoVamp wasn't a perfect solution. Dr. Campbell had developed it, knowing it had its flaws, but at least it was something humans could use to try to deter the top predator.

"You've got to admit though, you had nowhere near the time you thought you would to respond, right?"

"But that's not fair-you surprised me. If I'd have known it was coming..."

He shot her a look, and the tone of his voice raised. "You're not going to know it's coming. That's the whole point, Benson."

She mumbled some expletives at him, tossed her hair, and stalked off into the kitchen. Jack watched her go.

In her defense, she hadn't been around for the last two years, and had missed out on all the vampire drama that Kim had to go through. Benson had almost completed two years at the university, but too much partying had taken its toll. Now she took classes at the local community college. Jack worried about her, but with what he knew now, he felt it was justified.

Minutes later, Jack heard an unfamiliar truck coming up the road. It slowed, then pulled into the drive.

"Benny, your date's here!"

Benson walked out of the kitchen, a smile on her face. She pushed aside the curtain and peeked through the window. "It's him. Now be good, Jack."

She opened the door and greeted Matt with a smile and a kiss to his cheek. "Hey Matt, come on in."

Matt stepped into the room.

He was definitely human. Jack wrinkled his newly sensitive nose in disgust. The guy had a bad odor about him-the smell of fast food burgers and greasy fries, and too much cheap cologne. It made Jack's stomach turn.

He noticed a scar on the side of Matt's neck and wondered at that. He also took note of Matt's accelerating heart rate when he stepped inside and saw Jack.

But Matt's voice was even when he walked to the couch and extended his hand. "Hey, nice to meet you. I've heard a lot about you, Jack, isn't it? I'm Matt."

Jack looked at Matt's hand and slowly reached out to shake it. Matt had cool hands, but not vampire cool.

"O-ow, man, you're crushing my hand."

"What? Oh, sorry." Jack let go of Matt, who nearly fell back onto the coffee table.

Matt scrambled to the love seat and sat there rubbing his hand. After a moment, he looked up. "Sorry you're sick. Benny told me what you are and what's going on."

"Benny says a lot."

She averted her eyes when Jack glanced at her that time. He put his attention back on Matt, who was rubbing and flexing his hand. Maybe I really am being an ass like Benny says, he thought.

"Sorry about your hand," he mumbled to Matt. "I shouldn't have done that."

Jack heard Benson breathe out, like a sigh of relief.

"Nah, it'll be OK." Matt looked up, but his eyes went to Benny. He winked at her.

"I'll get the drinks," she said, already on her way to the kitchen.

When she was gone, Jack turned his scrutinizing gaze back to Matt. "So, you met Benson online."

"Yep, I sure did."

"She says you're into weird stuff."

Matt laughed. "I run several websites and dabble in research and the paranormal a bit. I'm especially interested in vampires."

"Vampires...supernatural? Hardly. Anyway, there's no such thing."

"Au contraire. Benson here divulged that you, my friend, are a vampire. Or I should say, vampire-in-remission."

Just then, Benson came back in the room with a couple open bottles of beer. She set them down on the coffee table, and cowered into the love seat beside Matt. Then she swiped up one of Kim's magazines and mumbled, "Sorry for not asking you first, Jack. But you've been so out of it the last couple weeks. And Matt can really help."

Jack shook his head. The smell of the beer was already setting his stomach on edge again, or maybe it was the young man with his arm snaking around his sister's bare shoulders.

Matt picked up a beer and took a long drink. "Don't be angry at her, Jack," he said. "She did the right thing by informing me about you."

Jack watched Matt tilt the bottle around, the beer sloshing inside it. Matt seemed mesmerized by the motion for a few seconds, then he continued. "Anyway, I first became interested in vamps back in junior high."

"What happened then?"

Matt looked up with a rueful grin. "My brother's friend's cousin became one." He paused a moment, sloshing the beer in his bottle, then said, "The summer between their junior and senior year, he got hurt. Some weird accident and all kinds of rumors were flying about it. He lost pretty much all the blood in his body. When they released him from the hospital, they said he was never the same. He couldn't stay with his family but a few weeks and then he was gone."

12