Blueprints Ch. 04

Story Info
Architect and client become more than architect and client.
20.5k words
4.87
40.3k
90

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/22/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note

  • Thank you for all the encouraging emails and comments. I apologise this chapter took so long.

  • Special thank you to Maonaigh for editing (I tinkered post edit).

  • Enjoy and please, please let me know what you think.

****************************

"Zara, two o'clock is the earliest I can manage, sorry hen," the man apologised in his strong Edinburgh accent.

"It's all right Andy," she sighed, her hand already moving the mouse to an appointment in her calendar. "But since the clocks went back we're only going to have a couple of hours of daylight."

"Aye, I know, I know. But one of my boys has hurt himself and I'll need to go to the scene."

"Well, that takes priority," the young woman conceded, swapping a meeting with the revised site visit.

In truth, it wasn't throwing her schedule off too badly and as long as they had an hour of daylight, Andy, one of the building contractors Zara used regularly, could do his job. What was concerning the architect was having to change Joanna's plans. She'd scheduled the visit for the morning, knowing Joanna was available, and whilst the young woman's trepidation of the professor had quelled over the past few weeks, she didn't want to seem incompetent.

"Cheers, Zara. Hope it doesn't disrupt your day too much."

"No worries and I hope your guy's alright. See you at two." Zara hung up but kept the phone in her hand as she stood. Although the call she was about to place was of a professional nature, she had no desire to make it in front of her colleagues. Moving through the open-plan office, past whitewashed walls peppered with photos of the company's portfolio, Zara made her way to the back door.

Buchan and Bruce, Zara's employer, occupied the ground and first floor of a former post office and whilst its guts resembled any modern work place, there was no denying the building's character, an element of which was the substantial yard space to the rear of the premises. However, over the course of the property's evolution someone had lain a lawn, planted shrubs and generally tried to promote outdoor living.

Despite the plummeting temperature it was a nice day and the sun, which spilled onto her face, still had an autumnal glow; so long as Scotland's East Coast stayed relatively dry, winter was Zara's favourite time of the year.

Her breath condensed on the exhale as she listened to the familiar tone of Joanna's phone ringing. "Hello?" came the answer. Zara was almost sure a smile was tugging at Joanna's mouth, the thought of which caused her to grin.

"Hi," she beamed, before reminding herself of the reason for the call; better get it over with. "Look, Joanna, I'm sorry but I've had to reschedule this morning. There's been an incident at another-"

"To what time?" she didn't snap, but wasn't overjoyed by the revelation as Zara explained. "Fine," Joanna sighed, "But I'm at work this afternoon until about half two," she paused briefly. "Tell you what, I'll drop the keys round at your office. I don't suppose I have to be there for most of it anyway; I'd just like to meet the man that'll be ripping apart my house."

"Of course. We'll probably be there until about three-ish?" Zara estimated as she watched a blackbird hop rhythmically amongst the baring branches. "Thanks for being so understanding."

"Oh, can you not tell?" Joanna husked. "I'm absolutely furious."

"I'm sure I can make it up to you" the young woman's stomach jolted at the prospect.

"I'd expect nothing less," Joanna purred before leaving Zara shivering, and not from the icy morning air.

Hours later Zara was standing, tablet in hand, as she manipulated a 3D drawing. Her efforts were projected onto a large screen, being regarded closely by Robbie. "What software are you using just now?" she asked, glancing at the placement student.

"Sketch Up, mostly," he replied sheepishly.

"The free version's pretty good, isn't it?" she said, giving him a knowing smile. "Don't worry about it; I remember what my spending priorities were when I was studying. But," she continued, glancing back to the technical drawing, "you want to be learning to use Revit as soon as possible. In fact," she glanced at her watch, "we still have ten minutes; I can show you how to get started and then I'm sure you can find a tutorial online?" The nineteen-year-old nodded enthusiastically and she began.

"Zara?" the young woman's head snapped up from showing Robbie how to alter blueprint dimensions. "These were dropped off for you." Stephanie, her boss, said before entering the room and tossing the keys into Zara's reactive grasp. "I literally bumped into the owner on my way in."

"Oh right. She, eh, happy enough with how things are proceeding?" Zara asked in what she hoped was a casual tone.

"Well, she's pretty frosty. Said she was happy, but then again it was early days to say how satisfied she really was."

Zara glanced back to the screen as she attempted to alter her creeping smile into the appropriate frown. Early days to say how satisfied she was. Really, had she expected anything less from Joanna?

"She's fine. Just has high standards," Zara shrugged, her eyes meeting Stephanie's once more.

"Regardless, I'm glad you're on the receiving end of her and not me."

You have no idea, the thought causing the young woman to smirk yet again. "Actually," Zara swallowed, desperate to change the subject as warmth crept up her neck, "Robbie, we'll have to finish this up another day. You here next week?"

"With us for two weeks, aren't you, Robbie?" Stephanie asked, but without waiting for the boy to answer looked back to her subordinate, "Are you going to the McKenzie property now, Zara?"

"Yeah, the builder's coming for a look, so we'll hopefully get quotes pulled together next week. Perhaps even get the work penciled in for the New Year."

"Excellent. You can take Robbie with you; be good for him to see the process."

"What?" Zara snapped, unable to hide her dismay at the suggestion. "I mean," she began, trying to dig her way out of the hole she'd fallen into, "I mean it's fine. It's just an extension. Hardly anything exciting. Anyway, the contractor had an incident on-site today, so he'll most likely be late and I don't want to keep Robbie past five."

"I really don't mind. It would be great to see the process," the student interjected, showing far too much diligence for Zara's liking. Why wasn't he being stereotypical and leaping at the chance to get to the pub?

"You see?" Stephanie said, looking pointedly at her delegate. "Plus, I dare say you were going to walk and it's pouring, so Robbie can give you a lift. Can't you Robbie?"

True to Stephanie's observation it had begun to rain, hard; perfect timing for Zara, Andy and the tag-along, to traipse around 12 Albert Street. Not that the young woman minded the downpour, she was cocooned in a company branded Berghaus, however the thick cloud meant they had lost yet more daylight.

"So, I take it here is where the L-shape will come to?" Andy asked as the three of them stood in the spacious back garden.

"Roundabout there," Zara squinted before retrieving her distance meter. Pointing the laser at the wall she took a measured step backwards, her boots sinking into the damp grass as she did so. "To here, Andy," she confirmed upon seeing the desired reading.

"Ok good. We should be able to tie into the original foundations in that case; never a bad thing. Do you have the layout of where the gas and water pipes are?"

"Yes, but let's look at them in the house," she shivered. "If you've seen enough out here?"

Although Zara had spent at least half her time over the past few weeks in Joanna's home, letting herself in was an alien sensation. Furthermore, despite being here for work, she couldn't dispel the sneaking suspicion that Joanna rarely let just anyone into her space unaccompanied.

Having entered the kitchen they went through the changes that would be required internally, then Zara took Robbie through the detailed plans as Andy wondered around muttering to himself. "It's a decent size space already, Zara. What's the owner - you said she was on her own - needing to extend it for?" the balding man asked, scribbling some final notes down.

The question hit Zara; Joanna had mentioned she was moving but there had been no further discussion on the subject. "Maybe to sell?" Zara shrugged, "In fact, you can ask her yourself, I think that's her now."

Sure enough, a faint glimpse of headlights danced across the kitchen's far wall. "I'll go unlock the front door, save her fighting with it in the rain." Zara said in what she hoped was nonchalance, for even the sound of Joanna's car had her pulse quicken and she wanted a moment, brief as it maybe, alone with the woman. "Andy, could you tell Robbie how you pull your quote together, please? Would be good for him to know that there's more to it than just pulling a price out at random," she smiled at the man before exiting the room.

"Well, son," Zara could hear him begin in a fatherly tone, "it all depends on what the property's like. A posh joint like this and you add an extra twenty percent."

Zara chuckled as she padded down the corridor. The front door of Joanna's home was solid oak but the architect could see the security light flick on through the transom window. Knowing Joanna was mere feet away caused butterflies to whirl in her stomach and she quickly unlocked the door.

Pulling back the barrier, Zara was greeted by a bemused figure, keys poised to let herself in. The young woman trailed her dark eyes up Joanna's svelte body; even with her short blonde hair dampened by the fat rain drops the professor still managed to look like she'd stepped from a fashion shoot.

"Hi," Zara greeted, her pretty face splitting into a ravishing smile. The young woman leant against the door and drank the professor in, loving the way her emerald green eyes glinted as Joanna attempted to control her own elation.

"Hello," Joanna purred back, her lips finally spreading uncontrollably as she took in the young woman. They visually consumed each other for several moments before Joanna brought them back to reality, "Are you planning on letting me in, Zara?"

"Oh, sorry," she stammered, breaking from her giddy trance as she moved out of the way.

Joanna made her way over the threshold and shut the door behind her. "Is the build-" She began, but Zara silenced her with a firm press of her lips as she moved her warm body into the cool damp cashmere of Joanna's coat.

The woman's handbag instantly fell to the floor with a thud and Zara suppressed a groan as she was pushed up against the wall. The young woman's hands went to either side of Joanna's striking face as their tongues rolled over one another's in a kiss that bypassed all polite introduction.

Zara felt that ever-familiar scorching grip move from her hips and up her sides as the older woman bore down on her. It took all of Zara's resolve to stop the searching fingers and tear her lips from Joanna's to whisper, "They're in there," nodding in the direction of the kitchen as her chest rose and fell against her companion's.

Joanna nodded, regaining her poise as she stood back from the young woman. Shrugging off her jacket, it was Zara's turn to wear a predatory smile as she watched the woman reveal herself. Joanna was wearing a form-fitting deep-green dress which matched her eyes and Zara marvelled at the way it clung to her body before stopping abruptly at knee line.

Joanna hung up her coat and turned to the young woman, catching the lust-fuelled look on her face. "Zara, could you stop staring at me like that, please?" Joanna muttered, trying to keep a firmness in her voice.

"You always look at me like this," Zara pointed out quietly.

"Get through there, you little perv," Joanna hissed, turning the girl and giving her a gentle shove towards the kitchen. "You're so unprofessional."

"Andy McNabb," the builder smiled, offering his hand as Joanna strode into the room.

"Joanna McKenzie," she replied and Zara watched enviously as the muscles in their wrists contracted in a firm handshake.

"This is Robbie Jackson, he's a placement student with us," Zara said, giving the boy a nod, encouraging him over. His eyes didn't quite meet the professor's during their brief exchange and Zara could see the colour rise up the young man's acne-scarred neck.

"So," Joanna began in a brisk no-nonsense tone, "has Zara showed you enough for you to come up with a timescale?"

With military precision Joanna outlined what she wanted and asked both Zara and Andy a series of sensible, albeit pointed, questions. How can they minimise the disruption to her day-to-day life? How many labourers would be on the job? Zara was to have final say on the materials used. They were to be done by late March should the work start in January.

Zara loved watching Joanna work. The way her mind keenly absorbed every detail of the conversation; she could recite exact measurements, knew terms of the trade and easily took total control of the discussion without being overbearing.

"Well, I think I've got all the information I need, ladies." the balding man smiled, putting a pencil, stereotypically, behind his ear. "Joanna, nice to meet you, it's going to really improve what's already a cracking home. Zara," Andy turned to the architect, "pleasure as always. I'll be in touch." And with that Joanna walked him to the back door he'd came in.

"Oh," he added, puffing slightly as he pulled on a stubborn boot. "I hear of plenty of folks after a nice place like this and with a modern extension it'll be in demand. Should you be selling, let me know."

"I'll keep that in mind," Joanna replied politely before closing the door behind the contractor.

What Zara should have done was leave at the same time as Andy, taking Robbie with her. After all, it was only three-thirty; she should go back to the office where there was plenty to do. However, the pull Joanna had on her made the ever-conscientious young woman extremely reluctant to do so.

Losing her internal battle, Zara thought of the plethora of overtime she'd built up, not to mention that by the time she returned to the office it would hardly be worth her while, would it? Deciding on a plan, the architect opened her mouth to tell Robbie to return to work without her, however, Joanna got there first.

"Zara, you seem to have set a trend with this extension; a friend of mine sent me through some ideas on the off chance I'd pass them on to you. Would you be free for five minutes to take a look?" Joanna asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Eh," her eye's flitted in Robbie's direction. "Robbie, would you like to head back to the office and I'll-"

"It will only take five minutes, Zara. Follow me," Joanna ordered.

"Just five minutes?" Zara frowned, disappointed. "Are you sure? I'd be happy to stay for longer?"

"Nope," Joanna replied, turning on her heel, "Five minutes shall suffice."

"I'll just be a sec," Zara muttered to the boy before following Joanna to her study, pondering what could be achieved in the short time.

Joanna's office was a room Zara was yet to see. The space wasn't in keeping with the rest of the house, not that the handsome room wasn't tasteful. As usual, the traditional character of the building was balanced with stylish furnishings; an elegant teak desk, a chrome and brown leather couch and shelf upon floating shelf peppered an entire wall. However, the difference in this room was the flecks of Joanna's personal life shining through. Although the house was well-appointed, Joanna's space was exactly that, a mostly faceless house rather than a home.

Here, on the other hand, evidenced at a signal glance, was much about Joanna Zara had taken weeks to extrapolate. There was a shelf dedicated to Legal Business, which looked to Zara like the dullest magazine one could subscribe to. Another reserved for Joanna's own publications; ominous looking hardback books with the professor's name embossed on the spines stacked beside white glossy copies of Journal of Corporate Law Studies she'd contributed to.

Although, it wasn't all relating to her profession. In amongst the shelves were several colourful scribbles, framed so well that they could have mascaraed as small abstract expressionist studies. Zara was about to comment on them, when her eyes fell on a shelf of battered hardbacks; Austin, Browning, Blake, Bronte. The impressive, obviously alphabetised, collection of Romantic novels caused the smile that was already tugging at Zara's mouth to spread.

Turning to Joanna who had moved closer to her, Zara nodded to the classics, "Now that is quite unexpected."

"Not when you consider they were inherited," Joanna sighed with a casual shrug.

"So you're not an admirer of the Romantic movement?" Zara smirked.

"I didn't say that," Joanna side-stepped. "Besides, Wuthering Heights is my utmost favourite. Whilst other girls were lusting after Heathcliff for his rugged good looks, it was his almost demonesque qualities which spoke to me," she smirked, her eyes practically smouldering as she pulled Zara to her.

"'If you ever looked at me once with what I know is in you, I would be your slave.'" Zara quoted smoothly as she draped her arms over the woman's shoulders. "Hardly you're style, is it?"

"Someone paid attention in school," Joanna whispered, her lips millimetres from Zara's. "Speaking of school, why did you have to bring your boyfriend?"

"Why, you going to go all Heathcliff on him?" she asked, relishing in this new found foreplay.

"Who am I to stand in the way of young love?" A hand slowly creeping down and over the swell of Zara's pert bum.

"I don't really go in for the whole young love thing anymore," Zara grinned, brushing her nose intimately against Joanna's, "More a middle-aged kind of set up."

"You're just begging for a spanking, aren't you?" but before Zara could confirm such, Joanna's lips were finally on hers.

The young woman groaned as she eagerly accepted Joanna's probing tongue into her mouth before chasing it back with her own. Becoming increasingly familiar with the older woman was doing nothing to quell Zara's need for her, in fact, the effect was quite the opposite. Joanna's touch burned into her with more intensity than ever and even this short exchange had Zara pressing herself into Joanna's thigh.

Slender fingers crept into her companion's short hair, encouraging Joanna to somehow increase the ferocity of their passionate exchange. Joanna complied; one hand firmly grabbing Zara's backside, the other squeezing between their taut bodies to expertly undo the buttons of Zara's shirt, causing the young woman to shudder.

Completely lost in the professor, Zara had no heed of returning to work or, perhaps more importantly, to the pubescent student sitting in Joanna's kitchen. Her hands slunk down Joanna's trim waist and she began to tug the dress' material up.

"And, that's us at five minutes." Joanna panted, breaking away from her accomplice and glancing at her watch.

Zara's brain took several moments to comprehend the break in proceedings as she gaped at Joanna. Save from being somewhat breathless, the woman was the epitome of cool as she smoothed down her dress.

Standing back, Joanna gave the young woman a superior smile as she drank in Zara's disheveled state; the architect was wearing a pair of fitted black trousers and the crisp sky blue shirt she had tucked into them was now hanging partially open to reveal a white bra, the lace so thin that there was no hiding her arousal.