Born Into Darkness Ch. 06

Story Info
Sophie gets a phone call.
4.5k words
4.68
16.3k
13

Part 6 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 07/16/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note to My Readers: I can't thank my editor Trggrhppy, he's been a big big help and has a lot of patients editing my work, sorry for the 'and and ands' and the tenses. I hope you all enjoy, comment and vote!!

*****

Saturday, Midnight

Sophie sniffled as she shoved another handful of gummy bears in her mouth, then used her shirt to wipe away her tears. The Last Song had to be her favorite movie of all times, no matter how many times she watched the movie she would always cry when the father dies on the beach chair facing the sea while his daughter Ronnie plays the song her father composed. She was a sucker for movies like that.

Her phone vibrated next to her. Lifting it to her ear she mumbles, "Hello?" she sniffs and shoves her hand in the bag of mini marshmallows and stuffing them in her mouth.

"Sophie? Are you ok?" Sophie froze when she heard Dean's voice through the phone, almost choking on a marshmallow.

"Yeah I'm fine," she grabbed the remote and paused the movie; she got up and walked to Mandy's kitchen to wash her hands. "What's up?"

"Are you crying?" Dean asked concerned.

"No! I-I Had something in my eye then my eyes started to water."

She heard Dean's rumbling laughter through the phone; even though he was nowhere near her he still managed to give her goosebumps.

"Ok prinkípissa [princess], I'm calling to apologize."

"For what?" Sophie said as she wiped her hands with the small towel on the countertop.

"Our date."

"Oh, that's ok, but I should be the one to apologize, I forgot to tell you about babysitting the kids. Tomorrow I'm free, Mandy and Aaron arrive here in the morning." Sophie walked back to the leather couch, popping more marshmallows in her mouth.

"That's perfect, tomorrow it is. So... what are you doing right now?"

"I'm being a total fat ass, I'm eating mini marshmallows, gummy bears and a box of chocolate chip cookies. You?"

Dean chuckled. "I just got out of the shower. I just wanted to hear your voice."

It was Sophie's turn to laugh. "Aw aren't you a romantic, a girl could get used to this."

"To be honest I missed you, but it would've been creepy to appear at the door this late." Dean said.

"Yeah def creepy." Sophie giggled.

"Well Sophie I bid you goodnight and sweet dreams, don't stay up too late now."

"No promises, goodnight Dean." Sophie pressed the end button and placed her phone on the coffee table. She couldn't help but smile, she loved all the attention Dean is giving her it's refreshing.

She took the remote and resumed the movie, she reached over for some cookies only to find out it was empty, she pouted and took some more marshmallows.

******

Sophie heard the front door open as she handed Henry a plate of bacon, scrambled eggs and toast. "I think your folks are here."

"Kitties, I'm home!" Mandy screamed from the main entrance.

"Mommy!" Madison squealed as she hopped off her stool and ran to her mother.

Mandy walked into the kitchen with Maddie in her arms carrying a new stuffed unicorn. "How did my little monsters behave?"

"Good, we went to the zoo. And had a movie night then built a fort." Sophie said flipping a couple pancakes as well as scrambling some more eggs.

"Mmmm Sophie don't tell me you're cooking? I would kill for one of your omelets right now." Aaron said as he sat next to him son who ate his last bit of eggs and toast.

"Comin' right up," Sophie went to work. She whisked a couple eggs, then chopped some vegetables and sprinkled a little bit of pepper into the bowl she then poured it into the hot pan. "As much as I want to stay guys, I have another date with Dean."

Sophie folded the omelet in half placing it on a plate and gave it to Aaron.

"Ohhh Sophie and Dean sittin' in a tree-"

"Mandy can I strangle your husband?" Sophie said stalking Aaron around the table. Aaron ran with his plate and fork in his hands, making kissing noises as he circles the table in the opposite direction avoiding Sophie.

"Aaron stop being immature, you embarrassed her enough." Mandy said as she and Madison rubbed noses together.

"Yeah Dad leave Dean alone I like him, he told me if I eat a lot of vegetables I'll be as big as him one day." Henry said

Mandy mouthed 'thank you' to Sophie who smiled.

"I'm going upstairs to shower." Sophie flicked Aaron in the ear then skipped her way to the shower with her book bag over her shoulder that carried her clothes inside.

******

Dean groaned sleepily as he rolled Munchy's body off him. "You fat mutt." He mumbled as he walks out of his bedroom to go downstairs to the kitchen. Dean was then hit with the wonderful aroma of coffee.

"Come to papa." He said as he pulls out his favorite mug and poured himself a cup of coffee then added a pinch of sugar. Lifting his mug to his lips about to take his first sip, the doorbell rang.

Growling he stomped to the front door and yanked it open. "How the fuck... Kell how did you find my address? How did you get passed the front gate?"

"Well aren't you a slice of heaven in the morning," Kell said tapping Dean on the nose as he let himself in. "Sweet, coffee. Really Dean, you shouldn't have." Kell said taking Dean's mug out of his hands then gulped it down in one shot.

Munchy came running in and jumped on Kell, who grunted in pain when his lower back collided with the marble kitchen table.

Dean chuckled as he grabbed another mug and poured himself another coffee, added sugar and sipped as he watched Munchy lick Kell's face affectionately.

"Damn it to Zeus, Dean get this mongrel off me." Kell said covering his face with his hands.

"Good Munchy, good boy," Dean said as he drank the last bit of his coffee. He walked over to Kell, picked up Munchy and cradled him in his arms. "Did the bad man hurt your feelings Munchy?" Munchy barked and licked his chin as if he understood what Dean said.

"So worm what are we going to do today?" Kell yelled from his gaming room.

"I'm going on a date with Sophie today-"

Kell smirked. "So... you going to tell her?" he said as he started pressing random buttons on the remote he found. Accidently opening Dean's hot wheels collection. "What the fuck? You are a freak."

Dean ignored Kell as he went upstairs to get ready for his date with Sophie. Today he decided today he was going to open up to her since she told him her story. His stomach felt weird when he started thinking about Sophie, it was as if his stomach was doing backflips.

Shaking off the feeling he walked to his closet and drew out a black t-shirt and grey cargo pants. He crouched and pulled out his black Timberland boots. He snatched a pair of boxer briefs and socks on his way to the bathroom.

******

Sophie pulled her book bag out of the backseat of Aaron's car and closed the door. "Thanks for the ride Aaron."

"The least I can do after babysitting the offsprings." Aaron waved and drove off.

She walks inside the apartment complex where she lives; she checks her mail box then walks up seven flights of stairs. Turning right she walks up to her door that has the number 24 on the front of the brown painted door and inserted her key.

"Mira Sophie ¿dónde has estado?" [Look Sophie, where have you been?] Her tenant Maria asked. Maria is like to another mother to Sophie; Maria took her in when she was 18 looking for a home after she was kicked out from her foster home, she also cooks for her and invites her to family events during the holidays. She came from Colombia to New Orleans to give her sons, Jose and Ricardo a better life.

"Maria, I was babysitting Mandy's kids for the weekend, guess what? I was on a date and I'm going on another date with him today!" Sophie said squealing as she went to hug Maria then kissed her on the cheek.

"Date? Why did you no tell me? Who he?" Maria asked holding Sophie's hands into hers.

"His name is Dean Cleisthenes, he used to be a solider, now he's a wrangler, I'm guessing that's another word for cop. He's so handsome and sweet. He saved my life from these men who-"

"Hombres? hija cuántas veces te he dicho que tener cuidado?" [Men, daughter how many times do I have to tell you to be careful?] Maria held let go of Sophie's hands only to place her own on her hips to glare at her.

"I was careful I swear Maria! These men they-"

Maria rubbed her temples. "Be careful, how many time I have to tell ju?"

For a 5'3 foot Colombian woman Maria was really protective. It warmed Sophie's heart that she cared for her so much.

"I'm sorry it won't happen again Maria. I have to drop off my book bag then leave, I have a date with Dean and I don't want to be late. I love you." Sophie kissed Maria on the cheek and turned to open her door.

"Vaya con dios!" [Go with God!] Maria said as she closed her door.

Sophie kicked her sandals off her feet to replace them with her black and white converse. She looked at herself through the mirror and was pleased with her outfit; dark blue skinny jeans and her favorite loose fitting kitted pink sweater that fell off on shoulder. She shook her hair out of her bun; she bent her head down to scrunch curly hair.

Sighing there wasn't much she could do with her curly hair; she went to her room took her small black satchel, swinging the long black leather strap over her shoulder she placed her wallet, iPod and phone inside and walked out of her apartment she closed and locked her door.

Walking, Sophie made her way to Café Du Monde and sat herself down outside. Dean texted her stating he was going to be late because an unexpected friend from his past came to see him, but he didn't really care considering all his friend planned to do is eat all his Twinkies and drink all his beer.

Sophie ordered herself a cinnamon roll sat back waiting for her order. She smiled at what Dean had planned today; he wouldn't tell her anything only that it was a surprise. Her guess was bowling but he said no, she also guessed a movie and he also said no to that. She was stumped to what it could be.

"Sophia?" Sophie froze at the gruff voice behind. She only knew one person who called her Sophia.

"Danny?" Sophie looked up at him in fear and prayed to God that he won't try and pull a stunt on her.

Danny's skin was still tan, he was freshly shaved and smelled of Brut, which made her eyes water, his dark brown hair was still kept in a tight ponytail and his eyes were a dull green. He wore a plain brown t-shirt, jeans with black boots. He was still as tall as she remembered.

"Honey, there you are. Let's go home. Come on, we can cook dinner together if you want." Danny grabbed Sophie's wrist with his rough hand and tired pulling her up; shaking her head she remained in her seat.

Sophie looked down at her lap, tears threated to spill down her cheeks, seeing Danny brought back her past, she unmistakably remembers all the beatings, the yelling, the cursing Danny had put her through and it hit her hard; harder than a brick to the head. "N-no Danny."

Danny's eyes narrowed, he attempted pulling Sophie up once more, wouldn't budge. "Get up Sophie before I get mad and you know what happens when I get mad."

Sophie continued looking down, she felt a tear sliding down her cheek, she knew if Danny saw her crying her would beat her and 'give her something to cry about.' She needed to get away from him, but she also knew if she ran he would find her and beat her till he knocks her unconscious. She trembled in fear, knowing exactly what Danny was capable of.

"If you don't get up on the count of three, you're going to get it," Danny whispered harshly into her ear. "One...Two...Three." On three he backhanded her across her cheek.

Sophie cried out in pain as she fell out of her chair, her bottom lip started bleeding; her cheek started to swell up. Fingering around her cheek, she sighed in relief; no bones were broken.

She looked up to see Danny ready to kick her; people around them gasped in shock, some were on their phones calling the police. "Danny no, stop. Please don't do this."

Danny crouched and grabbed a handful of Sophie's hair, yanking her head back, causing her cry out in pain. "Listen to me little girl, don't even think for a second that I'm letting you-"

"Get the fuck away from her." Dean said through clenched teeth. His whole body shook in pure fury.

"Who the fuck is this Sophia, your boyfriend?" Danny said tightening his hold on her hair making her look at his face.

Sophie was about to reply when Danny released her hair only to have him clasp a coarse hand around her neck hulling her up with him. She looks at Dean, silently pleaded he hurry before she fainted from the lack of air.

She struggled to pry his finger away from her neck, it was useless. His fingers seemed as if they were fused together. Sophie tried speaking, nothing came out.

"Yes I'm her boyfriend. Let her go now and I won't rip your head off with my teeth you sorry sack of shit." Dean said. He wanted so badly to shift and lunge at the lowlife for hurting his Sophie. His throat tightened when he saw tears cascading down her cheeks, but was quickly replaced by pure rage when he saw her swollen cheek and split lip.

"Oh, I like him Sophia, where did you find him?" Danny tightened his hold; Sophie's body went limp.

Dean lunged at the man, having him pinned down in seconds and started punching him in the face over and over again. The man was lucky he was using his fists and not his claws. The man tried covering his face but it was no help.

The man was unconscious in a matter of minutes. Dean moved over to Sophie who was being poked by a male cop; while his partner crouched down to check Danny's pulse.

Dean held back a growl as he saw the cop touch Sophie's swollen cheek. She whimpered and moved her face away in distress.

"I'll take her to the hospital." Dean didn't wait for the cop to reply as he picked up Sophie cradling her in his arms, against his chest. She moaned and nestled her face against his chest.

They arrived at the hospital within ten minutes, Sophie's coworkers gasped at her condition. They attended Sophie right away and Dean was left in the waiting room. He pulled out Sophie's phone from her purse and searched for Mandy's number. He put her phone against his ear and waited for Mandy to pick up.

"What's up hun bun I thought you would've been riding the man hard by now-"

"It's Dean, I'm here at the hospital. Sophie was attacked by Danny and-"

"I'm on my way." The call ended. Dean put his head in his hands and sighed. He knew something was wrong with Sophie, his instincts were right, but he didn't listen; now she's in the hospital.

He had an idea. Walking over to the bathroom he locked the door behind him and removed all his clothes, took the lid off the air vent, shifted into a black cat, jumped into the vent, following Sophie's scent. He shifted into a spider and crawled through a crack in the vent.

Using his powers he froze everyone in the room and shifted back into his human form. He walked over Sophie, placed a hand over her heart and searched for any internal injuries. Breathing out a sigh of relief, she was fine. He wanted to heal her bruises, but he knew the doctors would question her.

He shifted back into a spider, went back into the vent and unfroze everyone, he then shifted into a cat and ran back through the vents again into the bathroom and flashed his clothes on his body.

Dean mentally kicked himself in the ass when he could've just froze everyone, find Sophie, walk back and unfreeze everyone. Or make himself invisible, but he had trouble with that power, it was tricky to control.

Opening the door of the bathroom he saw Mandy and Aaron with the kids walk into the waiting room. Mandy handed Madison to Aaron and walked inside. Aaron saw Dean and smiled but it didn't reach his eyes.

Henry ran to Dean, wrapping his arms around his hips. "Hey Henry, Madison, Aaron." Dean picked up Henry and walked over to Aaron to hug him.

"Hey man, how you holding up?" Aaron asked as he sat down with Madison, who was playing with her father's wavy hair.

"I'm good, I know for a fact she's going to be fine, I just wished I would've gotten there sooner. None of this would have happened if I wasn't side tracked." Dean said.

"Did they arrest Danny?"

"I hope they did, I didn't see. I just came straight here. But if I see that sorry sack of sh... sea biscuits, I'm to choke him and see how he likes it." Henry took Dean's sunglasses and put them on himself.

Aaron chuckled at Dean, when he almost cursed in front of the kids. "I would too-"

"Guys." Mandy said as she waved them over. They walked passed other patients, when they got to Sophie, she was sitting up and pulling her sweater over her tank top.

Dean walked up to her and cupped her face in his hands. "How are you feeling?"

Sophie smiled up at Dean; with just her smile it almost brought Dean down on his knees. "I'm good, in a bit of pain, but I'll manage."

"Sophie, I don't ever want to be scared like that." Dean firmly stated.

"Yes, I second that notion." Mandy said with her hands on her hips.

"Here here." Aaron said while Madison covered his eyes with her small hands.

"Come live with me till everything is cleared out. I don't want to risk that man finding you again, and if he ever does he'll see you with me." Dean said as he lifted her off the bed and gently placed her on the floor.

"Oh, I don't know Dean. I don't want to intrude-"

"Ah! Don't you dare finish that sentence missy, go with Dean you'll be safe with him, it's only for a little while. Do it for me, so I can have a piece of mind." Mandy said as she shifted Madison on her hip while she ran her hand through Henry's hair.

She groaned as if in pain before she nodded. "I have to get my stuff from my apartment and tell Maria to keep an eye out."

"Let's go check you out and get started." Dean said rubbing his hands together.

******

Dean stopped the car and got out to find Sophie closing her side of the door. He growled at her, she innocently smiled up at him. Shaking his head in disapproval he wrapped his arm around her small waist.

Looking at the old brick apartment complex Dean tried not to make a face. The main entrance was a rusty grey door that had dent marks, the door window were broken and the whole doorknob was removed, the there was no source of security what so ever.

Sophie took Dean's hand and led him inside. He couldn't believe how bad this place was, if he thought the outside was bad the inside was even worse. The fluorescent lights gave the hallway a grey look, they flickered so many times it was starting to give him a headache.

There was an elevator shaft, but no elevator. So they had to take the stairs. The smell was of alcohol and urine was so strong it made his eyes water.

"What floor do you live on sweetheart?" Dean asked trying not to breathe through his nose.

"The seventh floor."

They were only on the third. He was not about to let Sophie climb more sets of stairs. He cupped the back of her knees and hoisted her up into his arms.

Sophie squeaked and wrapped her arms around Dean's neck. "I'm not a baby. I've walked up these stairs many times Dean."

"Not when you're with me you're not."

Sophie crossed her arms over her chest and huffed. Dean laughed as he nuzzled his face into her hair, inhaling her unique sweet pea scent.

They finally reached the seventh floor; Dean set Sophie on the floor and both walked down the hall.

The lights on this floor buzzed instead of flickering. Her floor looked even more grey and dull. This place would be the best place to shoot a zombie movie, the scary lights, dark stairs, broken windows and to top it all off, the splotches of blood on the floor.

12