Borromean Rings

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She drew a line down the side of the paper and on one side wrote "things we know" and on the other side she wrote "things we don't know."

It was the "Is he okay" line on the side with "things we don't know" that bothered me the most. There were too many ways for things to be wrong for me to not feel a bit apprehensive.

Samuel had never acted mysterious before. When he needed to go somewhere, if even for an afternoon, he always told me. He always gave me a phone number where he could be reached so this "disappearance" thing was beginning to upset me more and more as the evening wore on. About a half hour before midnight, Melody wrote a simple plea for us to get some sleep so we could get an early start finding out what happened.

In the morning, we were up at 5:00 AM calling hospitals for the third time, police departments, and any other service type agencies we could think to call. Nothing.

At 8:00 in the morning, we dressed and headed to Samuel's office.

His secretary was very gracious but offered no insight as to the whereabouts of her boss. Nor was the security station at the entrance to his office building any help. Then I had a flash.

I called his attorney, one I'd met before at one of the music functions, and told him I needed to speak to Samuel as soon as possible about an artist needing to back out of a commitment for health reasons. I told him Samuel had the name of an alternate, but I'd called his house and couldn't reach him. I asked the attorney if he knew the contact information for the alternate and he said he was unaware of an alternate.

I asked him if Samuel was in town and he put me on hold for a minute saying he'd find out.

When he came back on the line, he was laughing. "It's just like Samuel," he said. "He's up at his family's fisheries in Alaska."

Well you could have knocked me out with a feather. Alaska? What the hell?

I thanked the attorney and explained to Melody what I'd found out. My mind was racing for answers.

Melody, bless her heart, made a stab at what probably was the only thing that could have happened. She wrote out some keywords, but the gist was easy to get at.

She guessed Samuel had come home early and found us together. Rather than intercede and cause a scene, he just decided to leave so he could find out what it was his heart was feeling and his brain was thinking. I wasn't sure I agreed, but at least he was alive and safe.

Then I started to feel terribly insecure. I realized that even though I was beginning to have fantasies about the three of us, I really hadn't anticipated Samuel, or Melody, for that matter, having any kind of reaction that I hadn't thought through myself. I was somewhat at a loss for what to do next.

It was Melody who outlined a plan to find out what it was Samuel was feeling. She took out one of her credit cards from her wallet and handed it to me. I got it instantly.

Alaska in November can be very cold. Not the kind of cold that comes from sub-zero temperature, but cold as in wet, rainy, and windy, with muddy roads and very few dry places wherever you happen to be at the moment.

We rented a four-wheel drive vehicle for our little excursion to the coast. About ten miles out of the city I noticed Melody was very still. I looked at her hand and saw she had a tight grip on her sweater, balling it up in her fist.

I reached over and put my hand on hers, not looking at her, but offering reassurance that I would drive very carefully as we headed through some of the most beautiful country we'd ever seen.

Though it was cold, when it wasn't raining, the lush green landscape was breathtaking. We also saw a small herd of what looked to be elk just off the road. It was paradise without the amenities of civilization.

When we arrived at the coastal town where Samuel's fleet and fisheries were headquartered, we were prepared for the rain and snow. But truthfully, we were not prepared for the bone-chilling cold an Alaskan rain can bring.

The only place to park the rental meant we had to trek through mud to get into the factory and that's exactly what we did.

The look on the lady's face, the only person in the office, was priceless. Out of a late November storm walks two, obviously very citified girls, twins to be exact, and dressed in expensive winter clothes, but clothes that were none-the-less so out of place in this seafood factory. The look on her face spoke volumes.

"We're here to see Samuel," I offered.

She stared, mouth agape.

"Pardon us ma'am. We'd like to see Samuel. Could you please," I emphasized please, "tell him. We've come a long way just to be here."

She finally shook her head to confirm we were, in fact, real, and asked us to take a seat. The furniture was grey metal '50s industrial. It still looked new.

After about five minutes she came back from inside the factory and told us Samuel was at the docks helping off load a catch.

I asked for directions.

She said I'd be crazy to go back outside in this weather.

I asked her if she wanted to go tell him we were here. That did it.

She gave us two very large mackinaws to wear, each way to big for either of us, but we were grateful to have them just the same. She also gave us direction to the docks.

We found our way easily as the town basically sloped down to the water's edge. You could see the fishing boats from just about any vantage point that didn't have a structure in the way. Once we were on the docks, it was easy to find Samuel's boat. It was the only one with any real activity going on.

As we approached, workers stopped what they were doing and just stared, open mouth.

When we reached the plank, I realized this was a working boat and the men that were on or around dockside had probably all been here most of their lives. I thought how strange that Samuel would be here with this crew. Though handsome and strong, I didn't think he was strong enough to keep up with this lot.

Boy was I wrong.

When he finally came up from below deck to see what all the hubbub was about, I almost didn't recognize him. His hair was all mussed, he had a three-day growth of facial hair, and his clothes looked like the fish smelled. When he saw Melody and I, he bounded up to the dock, grabbed us both and twirled us in the air. Then he turned to his crew and said, "What? Haven't you seen a couple of girls before? Get back to work."

The entire crew howled.

Samuel took us below to the crew's quarters and made us both mugs of chocolate. It was the best tasting drink I'd ever had, anywhere.

"What on earth are the two of you doing way up here?"

Melody looked at me and I offered, "We might ask the same thing of you."

"I'm on vacation," Samuel answered.

"You're what?"

"I'm on vacation."

"Vacation huh? Just look at you." I bet you've worked harder this week then you've worked the entire of the previous ten months."

"Probably. But once or twice a year, I like to come up here and hang out with the guys. I've been doing it since I was twelve."

"You what?"

"No. Listen. My father," Samuel began to explain, "thought it would be good for me to know what our family businesses were about from the ground floor up. The year before I came up here for the first time, he had me work in our offices on weekends with the janitorial crew. His father," Samuel continued, "made him do the exact same thing."

I sat there with my jaw in my lap, trying to assimilate it all. Plus, the more I looked at Samuel, all grungy with fish scales and the results of a day's labor in the bow of a working ship, the more I got turned on. This was a man. This was a man who was not the least bit afraid to work. This was a man born to wealth, who you could count on in the best and the worst of circumstances life could throw at you.

"Hi Melody," Samuel teased, reaching over and mussing her hair. "Haven't seen you in a day or two."

Melody smiled. I think she too, was mesmerized by this new side of Samuel. I had no clue what to say next. Samuel got my consternation right away. He took charge knowing full well that we thought we'd be coming up here and finding him doing whatever he was wont to do, but doing it in slightly more luxurious surroundings.

"Listen. I want to finish out the day and help get this catch to the factory. Can you guys," Samuel went on, "go to my cottage and I'll be there around seven? There's not much to do in this town, but I think we can find a place to have a decent dinner. That is, if you like seafood or elk. That's about all we have to offer as we don't get many visitors this far from the big cities."

I made an instant decision.

"No," I said. "We're going to stay and help."

Melody turned to look at me as if I'd lost my mind. When she saw my resolve, she crossed her arms across her chest and nodded in agreement.

Samuel didn't miss a beat.

"Okay then. We're probably almost done with the forward hold. I'll need the two of you to go help clean up. That will actually free up a couple mates to come below and help us finish the rest of the day. Maybe we can get out of here at a decent hour."

Without a second thought, direction, or instruction, Samuel stood and went topside, leaving us to find our way forward. We did.

I'd also like to say, we acquitted ourselves quite well, but truthfully, I have no reference point to measure against. It just seemed the two men who stayed to help us were appreciative and maybe a little bit impressed we were willing to work so hard at tasks that it was obvious, neither of us were the least bit familiar.

Four hours later, the ship was secured and the three of us were walking back toward a hill overlooking the town.

We stopped at a pub for a pint and a shot and god did both taste fantastic.

We then went next door and had Salmon steaks, fresh as fresh could be with a bottle of wine.

When we got to Samuel's cottage, he realized we were zombies. He gave us both fresh gym pants and sweat shirts, showed us the shower, said he'd be back in a few and disappeared to let us have our baths in private.

The shower felt so good I wanted to cry. I ached. I smelled. I had small cuts on my hands but I had never felt more alive in any of my twenty-three plus years. Melody could not quit grinning.

After we dried off, we went back to the bedroom and climbed up onto his bed. I leaned back against the headboard and that, as is often said, was that.

The next morning, I awoke to the smell of coffee and bacon frying.

I looked at the clock beside the bed. It was 4:30 AM. I'd slept since early the previous evening. When I stretched, I felt overworked muscles, but again, I felt very alive. I got out of bed and went to the kitchen.

Samuel was dressed and cooking breakfast.

"So, what brings you two this far north?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing," I replied.

Samuel was quiet for a moment while he heaped some eggs, toast and bacon onto three plates. There was an assortment of jams and butters for the toast. I'd never eaten that much food in my entire life, but somehow, I couldn't wait to dig in.

As Samuel was not forthcoming with an answer, I decided to open up with a question.

"So, you came home early last week, the day of the storm?"

"How do you know that?"

"Melody figured it out. When we couldn't find out anything about you being in jail, the hospital, the morgue or anywhere else we could think of, Melody thought you might be off sorting things out.

"Wow. She's both smart and beautiful. Who knew?"

"So she was right?" I responded.

"Let's say this. I was at first surprised. But then, as I stood in the doorway and watched the two of you sleeping, I started to think, I could never be anything with you but a third wheel. Then I thought no, that didn't seem right either."

"The more I looked at you, at least I think I was looking at you and not Melody, the more I knew I needed to get away to think this through so that when I went back, I'd have a game plan. Then you showed up and all my certainties turned to dust."

"Truthfully," Samuel concluded, "I have no idea what to think at this point. So I'm going into the factory and help process yesterdays catch."

"I'll go with you."

Just then, Melody walked in and grabbed a piece of bacon. She smiled, put it into her mouth and started chewing, then came and stood beside me. She raised her hand and pointed first to me, and then to her own self and held up two fingers.

"Correction," I added. "We're coming with you."

When we'd packed, we knew we were going to Alaska and not to Paris, so most of our clothes were jeans and sweaters. But our jeans and sweaters were going to be trashed at the end of the day. I was sure; we too, would be trashed. Oh well. Seemed a small cost to pay when you're trying to figure out romantic entanglements.

For three days, we worked like dogs. At night, we were so tired we barely made it to the shower and into bed. Oddly, it was the most complete three days of my life.

It must have been what life was like centuries ago when there was no such thing as leisure; when most of the humans on the planet had no time for anything but that which assured their survival. But still, as each day made us more familiar with the tasks we were assigned; it gave us a sense of accomplishment at the end of our shift. That was the reward. Until these few days had passed, I never gave thought to the idea that work was its own reward. Now, I knew first hand that feeling of doing really hard work and doing it well.

Friday night was different than the previous nights. Even though we were all bone tired, knowing we didn't have to get up on Saturday gave us just enough extra energy to enjoy a feast and some drinks.

"How long," Samuel asked, "do you plan to stay here?"

"I hadn't given it any thought," I answered.

Melody shrugged.

"Why not?"

Well, I figured, you know," I hesitated. "You know, I really don't have any idea. I figured if you needed help, I'd help."

Again Melody nodded.

"You know this is absurd," Samuel began with a smile on his face, "two rich and very beautiful young ladies out here slumming at the edge of civilization. People are wondering what's up with that?"

"Tell them you've got us drugged, or that it is some bet we lost."

"Ha! I doubt anyone would believe that."

"I doubt anyone would believe the truth either."

We both looked at Melody, but she shrugged indicating she had nothing to offer either.

"Okay. Here's the deal. I'd planned," Samuel continued, "to head back on Sunday. I've too much business at the office to stay on vacation for too long. You two can stay if you like, but I've got to get back."

"We're going where you're going."

"Oh."

"Yes, Oh."

Samuel had a "what's this all about" look on his face.

"Do you remember in physics class learning about Borromean Rings?"

"I think so. Aren't they the three rings entwined that can't stay entwined if one is removed."

"Exactly."

Melody cocked her head in an inquisitive manner.

"The three of us are each a ring in a Borromean arrangement. If Melody leaves, or you leave, for me, the arrangement falls apart. At least that's the way I view what's developing. I think that's a very romantic way to look at our little triumvirate."

"Maybe," Samuel agreed. "But, will time separate the rings?"

"Maybe. Turmoil and circumstance may also affect the links, collectively or individually."

"Just what is it you're getting at?"

"Okay. Here goes."

"I love Melody with all my heart. I love her as family, I love her as friend and I love her as my lover. It's odd. Since family can't be married and since two people of the same sex mostly can't be married, it seems unfair that I can't marry her. I would if I could."

Melody reached over and put her hands over mine. Then she did the most marvelous thing, a perfect segue gesture. She reached over to Samuel and took his hand that was closest to mine and put it over mine. Then she took his other hand and interlaced their fingers, bringing her free hand back to lace with my other hand.

Samuel looked at Melody and smiled. He looked back at me and nodded for me to continue.

"When I met my fiancé, I realized I needed more than the physical and emotional love Melody and I shared. I felt, for the first time, the biological need that exists between a man and a woman, the bonding that begets off-spring. I was just out of high school and the world of university was new and exhilarating. Melody and I have always been comfortable with the idea one or both of us might find a mate. I was as sure then and I'm sure now, she really wanted the best for me no matter what it meant for us as a couple."

"How did you feel?" Samuel asked my sister.

Melody smiled the kind of smile that comes from a really fond memory, squeezed Samuel's hand, and then reached over and kissed me on the cheek.

"See?"

"I think I'm beginning to see," Samuel answered. "Truthfully, that afternoon, when I saw the two of you asleep in my bed, I thought I was privy to a great work of art in the making. If I were a photographer with world class capabilities, I would have taken the photograph and I bet I could have sold a few million copies of it if I put it in poster form."

"And now?"

"Now I regret not being a poet. If I could write about the way the two of you looked, no even now, the way the two of you look, even now, I would."

I wondered what we must have looked like that day. Was it innocence? Was it sensual, sexual, or was it, as Samuel was explaining, two models creating a work of art, even if it only lasted for a moment in time?

Once again, it was Melody who came up with the perfect gesture. She reached into her bag and pulled out her cell-phone. She fiddled with a setting and handed it to Samuel. Then she scooted her chair behind mine, leaned forward wrapping her arms around me and laid her chin on my shoulder.

"You're giving me permission to make you in to a work of art?"

Melody nodded and I smiled.

"I am so honored and I'm also moved by your gesture Melody. You really are a giving person. You're very much like your sister told me you would be and over the past couple of weeks I've come to realize your value to each other."

While I waited for Samuel to continue, Melody looked around the room and very surreptitiously slipped her hand up under my sweater squeezing my breast. Samuel caught it and burst out laughing. I did too.

We paid and made our way back through the restaurant, passing several of the people we'd come to know over the previous few days. Everyone knew Samuel was leaving on Sunday and wanted to say their thanks and goodbyes. I caught a couple of the guys giving Samuel a questioning look. I thought it might be salacious, but I was wrong.

When we got back to the cottage, Samuel told us not to wait up for him. He said he was going back to the pub and get drunk with the guys from work. It was sort of a tradition they had, and there were some things that couldn't be changed no matter what the circumstance.

About 1:00 in the morning, there was some loud singing outside the window of Samuel's cottage. It stopped as abruptly as it had started. Then, nothing.

Saturday morning actually started Saturday afternoon. All three of us were exhausted by the week's activities and Samuel was up last, obviously sensitive to sound and light, a result of his excesses of the night before.

The three of us moped around the kitchen for the first two hours of the afternoon. We fed Samuel eggs, smoked fish, onions, coffee and aspirin. He took a second helping of aspirin.

Around mid afternoon, we decided it wasn't a good idea to miss this last day and night sitting inside, so we dressed, went down to the docks and found a small cabin-cruiser owned by one of Samuel's employees.

Samuel called and asked if we could take it out for the rest of the day and off we went.