Breath of Fresh Air Ch. 03

Story Info
The Build Up (Extended Edition).
9.8k words
4.83
56.9k
43

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/13/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Panthem
Panthem
857 Followers

Chapter 4 is coming soon and I wanted to get this edit in before I posted it. I didn't like the way I ended Chapter 3 and I suspect I'm not the only one. So I changed it. Because I can. The rest of the story is pretty much exactly the same, I just added a couple of scenes at the very end so if you've read it before you can just skip to page 3.

Thanks for reading,

P

...

She didn't answer her phone. Again. For the third time in two days. She stared at it buzzing away on the arm of the couch, the glowing LED screen spitefully flashing a number with a Knoxville area code at her. It finally fell silent and her jaw unclenched as she looked away, sighing at herself.

For three days she'd been turning the weekend over and over in her mind trying to sort out her conflicted feelings and three nights she'd been laying in bed trying not to think about the way his hands felt on her body, his mouth on hers. She'd been sorely mistaken to think one night with him would get him out of her system and told herself she should just answer the phone the next time he called.

As if it read her mind, her phone started buzzing again, the same number on the screen. Her hand drifted toward it briefly before her throat closed up at the idea of actually seeing him again. She grabbed it, stuffed it under a couch cushion and walked quickly into the kitchen. Her heart was pounding and breath was coming in rapid gasps.

"What the hell is wrong with me?" she asked her refrigerator. When it didn't answer she rolled her eyes at it and forced herself back into the living room.

They'd said goodbye in the trailhead parking lot with a friendly hug; Katie rolling her eyes at Sarah and Caleb's effusive display of tongues and Mike silently laughing at her for it. He'd acted totally normal around their friends, giving no hint of anything that had happened between them, good or bad, and she'd appreciated it more than he could know. But as soon as they'd driven out of sight she felt the anxiety start to creep in.

She'd been careful for so long, keeping her secret as close as possible so no one would judge her or think any differently about her. She didn't want to have to think about it or talk about it or wonder if others were thinking about it or talking about it. But now the secret was out and she no longer had control over it because someone else knew. He knew. Well, he knew enough and that should be reason enough not to want to see him ever again.

Despite all of that a huge part of her did want to see him again, and not to take advantage of his incentive plan. Well, not just that. She also found herself missing his easy conversation, his quick smile, his goofy jokes, and wishing she could relax into that calm that he seemed to bring her.

Maybe that was what was really scaring her. It wasn't that she didn't trust him to keep her secret or that she thought he would judge her; he'd given her no reason to think so. Quite the opposite, in fact. It was that she shouldn't want to see him, but she did; that she didn't quite have control of herself when he was around.

Katie closed her eyes and thought about how he'd stopped her on the trail right before they made it back to the first campsite. She'd been hiking along, starting to get nervous about how she was supposed to act around him with Sarah and Caleb there, but he'd taken her hand and pulled her close muttering something about one last kiss and as soon as his arms were around her it was like all her concerns evaporated. All she thought about was how good it felt when he held her. So when he asked her for her number she'd given it to him, not really thinking about it until it was too late.

And now he was calling, expecting to see her in a few days and for whatever reason she just couldn't do it. Surely if she didn't answer he'd get the idea and just stop calling and she wouldn't have to deal with it. Or if he didn't cooperate she could change her number. Or move to an island in the Caribbean. She shook her head at herself and wondered, not for the first time, if maybe she really was crazy.

...

Katie munched on her apple and let her gaze roam the tiny courtyard behind the east wing of the hospital. There wasn't much to look at and nothing she hadn't seen a million times before on breaks or walks outside with her patients, but she was trying to soak up the remnants of the summer day before going back in to finish her shift.

She'd been so busy today she missed her lunch break and was only just now, with an hour left before she got off for the weekend, getting a few minutes away to relax. It had been a hell of a week, in more ways than one, and she couldn't wait to go home, take a long bath, and climb into bed. Maybe tonight she'd be tired enough to just fall asleep instead of tossing and turning.

After Wednesday night he'd stopped calling. Rather than being a relief, it only increased her anxiety and made her irritable. God, she was so stupid sometimes. She didn't want him around, but she wanted him to want her. It was a silly, childish way to feel, but she couldn't help it.

She took the last bite of her apple and stared with narrowed eyes up through the branches of the pretty sugar maple hanging over the picnic table to the deep blue sky above. Sometimes she was able to block the buildings and power lines out of her peripheral vision and pretend she was laying somewhere quiet and peaceful surrounded by trees and mountains. It wasn't working today so she let her eyes drift closed and tried her best to stop thinking. That wasn't working either.

"Sleeping on the job?"

Katie's eyes flew open as the bite of apple wedged itself in her windpipe. Her eyes watered and she leaned forward coughing to clear her throat. Mike straddled the picnic table bench facing her and handed her the water bottle on the table.

"Shame on you."

"I wasn't asleep," Katie said when she finally caught her breath and took a sip of water.

"That's not what I was talking about."

A pang of guilt struck her and she couldn't look up. She was about to open her mouth to apologize when he spoke again.

"Do you always choke on your food or is it just when I'm around?"

"It's just when you're around," Katie replied before she had time to think about what she was saying.

She immediately blushed and looked away, wondering how he'd done it to her again. Whatever it was he did. She should be angry that he'd tracked her down and showed up at her work, or maybe even scared. Instead she was fighting the urge to apologize and beg his forgiveness. Or wrap herself around him and lick his neck to find out whether his skin still tasted like woodsmoke and sweat. Or both.

Of course the faded blue t-shirt pulling tight across his chest or the way he smelled like aftershave and fabric softener was at least partly responsible for her reaction.

"I suppose it's good to know I have some effect," he said with a smirk. "Even if it is potentially life threatening. It makes me feel a little better about this whole stalker thing I'm trying to pull off."

Katie cleared her throat, trying to shake off thoughts of licking him and pay attention to what he was saying. "How'd you find me?"

"A very friendly lady pointed me in the right direction. She even wheeled me to the door, though I told her I could find it on my own."

"You know what I mean," she said with a wry look.

"There's only one hospital in the county. It wasn't hard."

"Oh yeah, I guess so. Wait, what did you say the friendly lady in the wheelchair's name was?"

"I didn't, but it was Erma."

"Oh lordy, Erma? The whole floor will know about it by now," she groaned, sounding more amused than irritated.

"Know about what?" he asked with a smile, relieved that she didn't seem upset.

Katie looked at him and shook her head. "That a great big handsome man came looking for me and now we're sitting outside alone together."

Mike's face lit up. "You think I'm handsome?"

"We've probably got all the ambulatory patients in the ward watching us out the window. By tomorrow the story will have us tearing at each other's clothes and making out on the table," she added, pointedly ignoring his question.

"Well, if that's want they want I'd be happy to oblige. It'd be a shame to disappoint them," he said glancing back at the mirrored windows, unable to see whether anyone was watching.

"Shut up," she said, whacking him on the bicep.

He looked back to see her grinning. "Be careful, now. You act too sweet and I might think you're actually glad to see me."

Katie flashed him an apologetic look before looking down at her feet. "I am glad to see you."

"Thank God," he said, his voice sounding sincerely relieved. "I figured I had a fifty fifty shot at not getting beat up or arrested."

"I'd say it's more like eighty-five fifteen," she said, nodding seriously.

"I'll take those odds." His smile dimmed only slightly and he looked at her eyes. "The payoff is worth it."

Katie blushed, embarrassed by the compliment and unsure how to reply.

"You know, if you'd answered the phone and cancelled on me I wouldn't have shown up. I figured you weren't one to shy away from telling someone to fuck off if you really didn't want to see them." He paused for a moment, then slid his foot toward her through the dirt and nudged her shoe. "But you didn't answer."

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't be. Just give me a chance."

Katie looked in his eyes, dark blue with uncertainty, and couldn't say no; didn't want to say no. Before she could second guess herself she pulled the pen out of her scrubs pocket and reached for his hand. Scooting toward him she pulled his hand close and wrote on his palm.

"Here's my address. I'll be home in about an hour and I really need a shower so show up in about an hour and a half." She looked up at him, realizing how bossy she sounded, but the triumphant smile on his face told her he didn't mind. "I'm pretty worn out, is it alright with you if we just hang out at my place?"

"Sweetheart, it doesn't make any difference to me what we're doing. I'm just happy to see you."

Katie's breath caught and she was suddenly aware of how close he was and that she was still holding his hand open in her lap. He closed it around her fingers as if he knew what she was thinking.

"Do you think they're still watching?" he asked, gesturing toward the building with his head.

"Without a doubt."

"That's too bad, I really want to kiss you right now."

Katie surprised the hell out of both of them by leaning in and pressing her mouth to his, marveling at how velvety soft his lips felt before tearing herself quickly away and standing up. "I'll see you in a little while," she said, turning and hurrying away.

...

The taste of apples lingered on his lips as he watched her walk away, the shapeless scrubs unable to hide the tight curve of her ass from his searching eyes. He didn't look away until the door closed behind her and cut him off. He blew out a deep breath he didn't even know he was holding and grinned, looking down at the writing in the palm of his hand.

That had gone so much better than he'd expected. His nerves had almost gotten the best of him on the drive up here, he'd been so worried about what her reaction might be to seeing him.

He'd been particularly hesitant to show up at her work like this, but couldn't think of any other way to do it aside from asking Caleb where she lived. That wasn't an option since it would have required some explanation of what had gone on last weekend and he wasn't willing to give one. He kept his promises.

Mike stood and headed toward the parking lot, walking around the building rather than through it so he could soak up a little bit more of the late afternoon sun. He whistled as he walked and wondered what it was about her that had him so determined. It wasn't just the challenge of chasing someone that didn't want him. Plenty of girls had turned him down in the past and he never gave them a second thought, let alone hunted them down. Plus he didn't really believe she didn't want him or he wouldn't be here.

There was just something about her that drew him. She was smart, funny, tough, and gave the distinct impression that she needed no one. He liked that about her. He didn't want her to need him, wasn't the type of guy that thrived on a woman depending on him. Still, he had the inexplicable urge to take whatever the heavy burden was that she carried and help her with it, even if it was just to relieve the weight every once in a while by making her smile. Or laugh. Or cry out his name mid-orgasm.

No, he wasn't going to go down that road. Or at least that's what he told himself as he took a deep breath and tried to convince his body to behave. He wasn't here for that. Well, not just that. If she wanted to go there he was more than willing, but he wasn't expecting it and certainly wasn't going to push her. He still felt like an absolute asshole about what had happened last weekend and had resolved that whatever it took, he never wanted to see that look of fear on her face again.

But he was determined to get through whatever these walls were that she was trying to throw up and find out who she was behind them. So tonight was going to be about getting to know each other better. If anything else happened, well that would just be a bonus.

...

Once again Katie's nerves hit almost as soon as Mike was out of sight. The sly looks from her patients didn't help and when Marie, one of the other nurses, came right out and asked her who her visitor had been she had to bite back the urge to snap at her that it was none of her business. She was so clearly agitated and therefore useless that the charge nurse told her to go ahead and leave twenty minutes early.

Her unexpected reprieve gave her a little more time to get herself together, but she was still rushing around like a chicken with her head cut off. Thank goodness she kept her apartment in a state of pristine neatness and didn't have to worry about that, but she had to stop by the store, hadn't shaved in days, had no clue what she should wear, and wanted to change the sheets on her bed. Just in case.

She was so busy she didn't have time to worry much about what they would do or talk about when he got there and by the time she ran out of urgent tasks it was almost time for him to arrive. She'd just slowed down long enough to realize she was hungry when she heard the knock on the door.

Her hands came up automatically to smooth her damp hair and she glanced at herself in the mirror, tugging at her tank top to make sure it covered the top of her favorite comfy yoga pants. She had a brief moment of anxiety wondering if she'd gone too casual, but another knock interrupted her thoughts.

She had three locks on her door and for some reason her fingers kept fumbling with them, unable to coordinate themselves long enough to unlatch them, so it took her a minute to get the door open. She could hear Mike on the other side chuckling and rolled her eyes. When she finally swung it open he was grinning widely at her.

"How many locks have you got, sweetheart?"

"Enough," she tossed back. "I'm a single girl living alone, after all. Come on in."

He walked in and looked around at her small, but comfortable apartment. Not surprisingly it was as clean as a whistle, not a bit of clutter in sight. He noted with amusement the bookshelves with the spines of the books perfectly aligned and the coordinated pictures hanging straight as arrows on the walls.

"Have a seat." She pointed him toward the couch then flitted nervously in the other direction toward the kitchen calling over her shoulder, "What can I get you to drink?"

"What have you got?" he said, close enough that she could feel the rumble of his voice. She jumped and spun around.

"Holy shit, don't do that!" she said as she backed into the kitchen.

"Sorry," he said, his crooked grin indicating he wasn't the least bit sorry.

She opened the refrigerator and gave the sparse contents a disapproving look. "Orange juice or beer, not a great selection but it covers me on most meals."

Mike pushed the door closed and stepped toward her again, leaning against the fridge and folding his arms in front of him.

"You seem awful jumpy. Am I making you nervous?" he asked, with just enough of a smirk to be annoying.

"Of course not," she snapped, rolling her eyes as his smirk widened into a grin.

"You are such a bad liar."

She turned and started to move away but he stopped her with a hand on her hip.

"Katie," he said, the grin fading. "Don't be nervous. There's no pressure, no reason to feel weird." He paused a moment before adding, "We're not doing anything wrong."

"I know, I just-" she shook her head, making her decision. "Okay. No weirdness." She looked back at him just as he lowered his head to kiss her. It was exactly like it had been that first time in the woods. The world switched off, her entire consciousness focused on the feel of his lips against hers, his tongue sliding into her mouth, the taste and smell of him.

His arms tightened around her, drawing her toward him as he leaned back against the fridge. Her hands came up to steady herself against his chest, then moved up over his shoulders, wrapping around his neck. She felt him moan as she pressed against him, loving the way his chest felt so hard and warm against her breasts. Suddenly he pulled away and for a moment he just stood with his eyes closed, breathing slowly. Finally he opened his eyes and looked at her.

"See? Not weird at all," he said, his voice rough. He cleared his throat and stepped away. "Beer it is, then."

Katie was dazed and not a little disappointed she admitted to herself as she opened the fridge and grabbed two glass bottles. Mike took them both, opened them, and handed her one. Her heart was still pounding from the kiss and she tried to cover it up with a long drink from her beer.

It wasn't fair, this effect he had on her, when she didn't seem to affect him the same way. She'd half hoped and half feared that the effect would have dulled now that they were back to reality and back to normal, but apparently not. She willed herself to fill the nervous silence.

"Should we, um, watch a movie or something?"

"Do you want to watch a movie?"

Hell no, she wanted to pull her panties off, hop up on the counter and make a mess of the kitchen with him, but that didn't seem like an appropriate response. He cocked his head and raised an eyebrow, looking at her as if he knew exactly what she was thinking.

"You're blushing," he teased. "What kind of movie were you thinking about watching?"

"I'm not blushing. I'm hungry, though," she said, changing the subject. "Have you had dinner?"

"I haven't."

"Do you like Chinese?"

"Sounds good to me."

Katie pulled a folder out of a kitchen drawer and Mike was amused to see several takeout menus organized by type of food in alphabetical order, but suppressed the urge to tease her about it. They ordered from her favorite place and settled on the couch to wait for their food. Katie took a spot at the opposite end of the couch from Mike and they sat facing each other in awkward silence for a moment until Mike spoke.

"So, are you from Knoxville or did you just go to school there?"

"No, I'm from a tiny town in Kentucky. You've never heard of it and probably wouldn't want to."

"Is your family still there?"

"What's left of them; an aunt, couple of cousins, that's it." Katie hesitated a moment before adding, "I was an only child, both my parents have passed."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Was it a while ago?"

"My dad died when I was little and I lost my mom when I was fifteen. Car accident."

"Were you with her?"

"In the car? No, I was at home in bed. She was coming home from the hospital late one night- she was a nurse, too. I didn't even know it had happened until the next morning when my aunt came and picked me up." Katie could tell by the tremble in her voice that she was treading on shaky ground and quickly changed the subject. "What about you, do you have family back in Little River?"

Panthem
Panthem
857 Followers