Briseis Ch. 05

Story Info
A Roman slave girl takes a bath.
5k words
4.63
44.9k
38

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 11/22/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the lovely Layne Staley once sang, "No excuses that I know." I hope you enjoy! There will be more to come, I swear!

*****

Briseis sat, stola covered hair bowed in prayer, and her ice blue eyes closed in reverence. Fortuna's temple was empty, the marble floors cool and silent. She came now every morning to pray for better luck, but it never came. Appia was cruel, drunkenly beating her on a daily basis, although not stupid enough to leave marks that her master would see. It had started with the birth of her Master's bastard child, her beloved little Marcus the Younger. He had looked like a miniature of his father.

And while Master Lucius Junius Brutus had been away, he had sent Rome back gold and slaves in excess. So he had been elected Consul in absentia, along with his plebeian friend Cae Flavius Sabinus, his co-consul. This made Appia feel as though she could spend freely on her gladiator "friends" and a growing supply of that milk of the poppy. Briseis knew that was unsustainable, and had to notify her master last year, as his secretary and accounts keeper. He had written back so enraged, that Appia had cut off Briseis's long braid "to save money on hairpieces" and had it fashioned into a Gallic style wig. His rage hadn't had a lasting impression on Appia, other than making sure she reviewed all of Briseis's correspondence.

Little did Appia know, Briseis had to keep books of how the household money was spent. She had also sent him several letters, through her brother's connections.

Hopefully, those account books would send Appia away for at least a while. But that would leave Briseis alone with her master. She felt a tingle run up her delicate spine. Fear or anticipation, it didn't matter, the outcome is the same, she thought, gripping her hands tightly. As much as she loved her son, she didn't want to bring more slaves into the world...

She heard a footfall on the marble floor, then looked up to see olive skinned bare feet, as a darkly robed disciple of her goddess appeared from the darkness. He carried a taper, and she could see scarring completely covering his face. "What does this child of Fortuna need so dearly, that she comes here every morning, before the first light?"

Briseis shook her head "I am nothing the goddess should concern herself with. I am just a slave."

He smiled, and Briseis tried not to wince at the scarring. "Fortuna has already blessed you with beauty, and enough coin to sacrifice occasionally, and to donate to her coffers. So what more do you need, child?"

She sighed, tears forming in her eyes, trying to hide them from this strange acolyte who took an interest in her. But she suddenly found, she couldn't still her tongue. "My mistress is a cruel drunk, and beats me. My master is off fighting, but today he returns to Rome, and I fear... well... My only pleasure right now is my little son Marcus, and his half-sister Lucia." She got quickly and clumsily to her feet. "I am sorry, I have bothered you far too much..."

The strange disciple grasped her shoulder, with a boldness most men would not dare. "No, you will stay and tell me of your troubles. The goddess commands it. Follow me."

Uncertain, Briseis followed the strange man, past silent glittering candles and eyes, into a deeper recesses of the Temple of Potentous. A bright red door opened to a dark and dank room, filled with strange gold artifacts. The man knew her silent question. "They were fashioned in the time of the first Roman kings, to honor our goddess. This is the most ancient room of worship. Few enter here, and none unless they are worthy." Briseis breathed in hard, not sure if what he said was true or mere flattery in hopes of a large golden purse. But it would be too odd to leave now, she thought, as he motioned for her to kneel before a bench. The stone floors dug painfully into her knees.

"You are the secretary for Consul Brutus. An unusual job for a girl."

Her ice blue eyes flashed with surprise and defensiveness. What was this man of the goddess trying to prove? "You just knew that because of my appearance. There aren't any slaves with blonde hair and blue eyes that dress like me."

"Your son is called Marcus the Younger, for your father. And your former master. Even though you won't tell anyone who the father is, it's an embarrassment to you because he looks just like the Consul."

"Save your supposed magic for someone who believes that you know all this because of Fortune. These are all things you could have found out about me by asking around," said Briseis, although doubt and fear swarmed like locusts into her mind. How did he know so much? And why would he even care?

"You come here every day, praying for a change of circumstance, but your mind cannot allow for any faith in Fortuna? It is no wonder she cannot bless your prayers... a pity...be gone from here..." the priest motioned towards the door, full of somber anger. Briseis felt the locusts filling up her head turn into a buzzing panic, and a weight dropped into her stomach. The answer was right there. She was sitting in the most holy room in a temple, speaking to a holy man, and she was full of hostility and disbelief. She pleaded with him not to cast her out, imploring with tears in her eyes.

"Fine. But you will tell me your whole story, all of the things of importance in your life, and once you have told me, and given me a single coin as surety, Fortuna will bless you twice fold." Briseis felt that doubt rise again in her mind, but pushed it back with faith. "I don't know where to begin... I was born to an uneducated slave, Sexta, and her master..."

...

Briseis did feel her heart lighten, as she stepped out into the dew drenched Roman summer morning. She had confessed all of her problems to an acolyte of the goddess, pressed a golden coin into his hand. He had told her she would know of Fortune's favor again by the time the summer ended. She wrapped her pink stola more tightly around her head, to conceal the very unladylike huge grin she couldn't hide. She knew that things were going to get better.

By the time she returned home, young Mistress Lucia was already sitting with her tutor, looking bored. Lucia was almost 11, half of Briseis's age. She got up, ignoring her tutor's outrage. "Oh Briseis, father is home today, but Appia says I cannot go to his party! She says it is too late for a girl my age, and that I have nothing appropriate to wear!" Lucia looked at her, trying to be persuasive with her big dark eyes. Briseis winked.

"Well, at least part of that isn't true. My brother Titus has made you a dress. He will bring it by tonight. We don't have to tell Appia. You'll just... show up." Briseis gestured dramatically. The old tutor looked at both of the ladies as if they had lost their minds, before picking up his abacus and scurrying out of the room.

Lucia smiled that the tutor had left. She did not mind her lessons, but she did hate being spied on, as though she was Appia's enemy instead of her young step daughter.

Lucia whispered "Appia also will not let us see my father enter the gates of Rome. She says it is for the filthy plebs to gawk at. Won't you please take little Marcus and I?" She grinned at Briseis, already knowing she had won.

...

Consuls Lucius Junius Brutus and Cae Flavius Sabinus approached the gates with much fanfare. Though their army would have to follow them later (none of that nonsense, after all the trouble caused by Sulla and Caesar marching on Rome!), it was nonetheless a glorious return. It might have been the hottest day in Rome, but he had a huge turnout. The people seemed to adore them, since their bellies were full and the games happened every week. Well, perhaps except for a small handful of people. At that thought, his lucky white horse lurched back and neighed with indignation. Maybe he had made some more enemies than he knew. Not everyone in the senate wanted two generals as their consuls. Some wanted his rival, Publius Decius Quintus, in his place. A poet, and an idealist with no idea of how the world worked. Lucius Junius was almost saddened by the thought, until one of the small handful peered up at him out of the crowd, putting down their young son out of exhaustion. Even from the distance, the boy looked like him. She was clad in a rose colored gown, which enhanced her now considerable assets. His sweet daughter Lucia was there as well. If only it was these three I had to worry about, then this would be a good omen, thought Lucius Junius. Cae Flavius murmured "I bet you are looking forward to a warm welcome home, ehh?"

"I'm afraid not. Appia will be nipping at my heels, and then the ridiculous party tonight. I'd prefer to get right to work on this bloated government, and give these senators something to do."

Cae Flavius grinned in agreement. "I agree. Those fat, old senators need a thorn in their side to decide on anything. We might as well be the ones to prick..."

Before Cae could finish his sentence, Briseis swayed and fainted backwards into the dusty street, crowd screaming as she did.

...

"Lucia could have been kidnapped! What a dumb cow! We must be rid of her, husband!" Proclaimed Appia, shrieking in his ear like a particularly annoying bird, as he laid Briseis's delicate body down on the marble floor. Lucia and little Marcus were both crying, convinced Briseis was dead, and no explanation to the contrary would soothe them. "WIFE! Do your duty for once, and get yourself and these damn children out of my sight!"

Despite the annoyance of the situation, he had come off looking like a hero to the crowd of people, hauling up the fainted girl on his horse. One of his clients had said, conspicuously (to Lucius, at least) "don't worry, Consul, I am sure someone can give this slave a ride, she will get safely home," which gave Lucius the opportunity to state that he needed to ensure the safety of the girl himself. The people knew he was a great general, but had not had an opportunity to see his kinder side. Of course, the crowd had murmured about what a caring man he was, to worry about a mere slave, even if it was his own (extremely beautiful) slave, while a few said it was a ruse until they saw how limp her body was, as he dismounted his horse to place her lying on it. "You really are my good luck amulet, but what a nuisance, my dear," he had smiled. The parade ended early. Which lead to why he was here, with a screaming, already fully drunk wife and crying children. Appia came to her senses and scurried them out of the dining room, as a slave handed Lucius Junius a full pitcher of clean water. Without hesitation, he poured it all over Briseis's face, the water pooling down to her torso.

"I was afraid you had envisioned me as Apollo or Jupiter, like in the old days, and the thought overrode your senses, but no matter," he said sardonically, as the girl fluttered her wet eyelashes open. "I suppose you are still angry with me and needed to ruin something of mine. Open your mouth." Most likely feeling like she had been kicked in the head, Briseis drank deep of the water, not knowing what in the world he was talking about, but fearing she had done something bad. He could see it written across her open face, as plain as her fear, embarrassment and shame in having her master tending to her.

"What happened, Master?" She said weakly.

"Tell me, Briseis. My adopted father always told me you were a fussy eater. Have you had anything to eat today?"

"Well, I had a small piece of bread dipped in honey last night, but I was just so busy getting ready..."

"Ah. And I assume no water either?"

She thought for a moment and shook her head, averting her gaze. He took the opportunity to admire her generous swell of breast, seemingly unmarred by child bearing, and so wet from the water he had poured over her that she looked like a clothed statue. He licked his lips and grinned at her. "Not your most clever moment, dear Briseis. I've seen it kill some of my best soldiers. Heat fever."

She thought of the fever that had taken her mother Sexta from her, and shivered in fear. "Am I going to die, Master?"

"What a terrible waste that would be. No, I'll take a bath, and in the meantime you'll drink this whole pitcher of water. Then, when the water is nice and cold, you'll take a bath. Then, you'll assist me..." He glanced down, her eyes still averted, and took in the sight of her, now soaked almost down to her waist. Yes, she had a lot of work to do for him.

"But... Appia, and... The party?"

"I'm the Consul, remember? I show up to my party when I wish. And didn't anyone ever tell you, don't question your master."

...

Appia watched her husband admiring Briseis, and could barely contain her rage. First, he cast her aside to care for a slave, expensive as the slave might be. Now he was looking at the slave like he used to look at Appia. But she couldn't very well come out screaming at her husband like a common whore. These sort of arrangements were normal in a Roman household. The odd thing to do would be acknowledge her husband's affair with the slave. Well, it wasn't really an affair. Briseis wasn't a person, just an expensive piece of furniture. Yes, that thought soothed Appia, as she sat back in her favorite slave's muscular arms, drinking wine laced with opium and honey. Certainly, Appia had aged, and gained some weight, but looking at Briseis, popping out a bastard had added some meat to her bones as well. Appia had to admit Briseis had pretty hair and skin, but she was sure with some cosmetics, a stunning dress, and her favorite wig, she'd be the Consul's gorgeous wife, and every patrician in Rome would want her. And if she could get her husband away from the piece of expensive furniture for a moment, she'd completely bewitch him again. Then Briseis would be sent off, probably to work as a scribe/whore for some lecherous old senator Lucius needed a favor from. When Appia got pregnant, perhaps Marcus would fall into the bath and drown, or hit his head on something? She'd have to think on it more, but she didn't want to see either of them anymore. It could be a fresh start for them, especially once Lucia got married off, sooner rather than later. Everything was going to be just fine, starting tonight.

...

Half faint, Briseis didn't know what she was supposed to do, until she remembered her talk with the priest this morning. Fortuna perhaps just wanted her to be compliant, and have faith, two of the things she was the worst at. Her father had always taught Titus and her that asking "why" was not a fault, but now, her master was telling her not to question his... orders? Yes, orders. He was Master now. And the shock of waking up out of her fainting spell, drenched in cool water, his tanned face sporting a new white scar, telling her she was bad. Oh, but he didn't know how bad she was. How she tried to get him out of her mind. Fasting, prayer, even the old Stoic methods, like standing outside in the rain to cool her blood. Maybe Fortuna just wanted her to submit to the situation, to be happy with her station. But that didn't feel right to her. Her father had always taught her that she was not like the other slaves. He had done his best to protect her from the real world, where the roles were ironclad, where men tried to take advantage. Sometimes he had failed.

Briseis was utterly lost in these thoughts, sitting on the edge of her cubiculum bed, when one of her new Master's household slaves, Antonia, came and knocked on her door. "Master informed me that you are to use the bath water next." She could barely stand, even after drinking all that water. But still feeling weak, she found her way along the elegant walls, to the bathroom. A real bath (not just a quick scrub) was a rare treat, and she fumbled with the clasp on her shoulder to try and get in as quickly as possible. When she heard a familiar voice to her side say, "Be careful, move slowly."

...

"Excuse me," squeaked Briseis, full of trepidation but still weak. "I thought I was alone in here. I'm sorry to disturb you, Master."

Lucius sat up from a reclining couch, nude except for a towel around his waist. She couldn't help but notice how handsome he looked, even in her fear. He was tan and chiseled, like a demigod.

"It's just me, silly girl. Go get in the water."

She found herself full of questions, and wanted to yell "get out," or "what in Jupiter's name are you still doing in here?" or "Why was I not told you were in here?" as she opened her mouth, she remembered that he was her master now, and she had to respect him. "Master, may I please be alone to bathe?" She hoped the question would highlight the ridiculousness of the situation.

"Ah, well, in your current condition, you might faint again, and drown in the water. So it's very important that I assist you."

"Couldn't a slave do it?"

His eyebrows knotted, and she realized she was trying his patience with all of his questions. He wasn't used to explaining himself to many people, especially not slaves. "Well, you are very special to me, Briseis. I just wanted to personally ensure your safety." He rose from the couch, putting his book down. The man was enormous, and his nudity did not do anything to humanize him. "In fact, let me help you," he said, finally taking his place behind her.

...

She looked delectable, fear clouding her eyes. He was almost surprised he couldn't hear her heartbeat, as he unfastened the fibulae that held together the outer layer of her garment, then reached to untie the single sash around her waist. The girl looked up to him, beseechingly. "Please, Master...I don't want to..." He cut her off, by grabbing her short, thick braid of blonde hair, pulling her face to face with him. "Don't you dare to presume to tell your master what to do, girl." Lucius felt pity as she started to shake and looked away from him, but quickly pushed it to the back of his mind. She lived a very enviable life as an educated house slave, and this was one of her duties now. As he explained to her before he left. He bit into the side of her neck, making her gasp in surprise, and fall back into him, pushing her soft ass into his neglected cock. He held her hips there, making sure she could feel exactly how neglected his cock had been in recent months. Lucius Junius was very particular about whores, and no one had appealed to him on the journey home. He instead found himself thinking of Briseis at night, her body tied into intricate poses to please him, possibly her white throat being choked as he pushed her body up and down on him like a toy. He had a thousand scenarios to play out with this slave.

As she felt his cock rubbing menacingly against her ass, she tried to push him off of her, but it was clearly no use in her weakened state. "You're acting like it's the first time I've taken you," Lucius said, smiling in a way that could only be described as predatory. He easily removed her tunica intima, leaving her standing in only her waist band and her breast band. Tears were streaming down her face. "Master... I'm afraid..."

"Shhhh. You have nothing to fear. I'll take good care of you..." He tried to ignore a mounting feeling of frustration, as she silently shook her head no. He had certainly been a bit harsh on her, but a slave girl needed to know her place. She had been too spoiled by her father. Lucius knew he would have to correct her bad behavior. He put his hands on her shoulders gently but firmly, as if she was a skittish horse.

"Just try and relax." He looked down, and noticed her bound cleavage was shivering slightly, as was the rest of her little body, but mostly her breasts held his interests right now. He found the juncture of the bandage with ease. "You're a clever girl, Briseis. You must know why I keep you on as household secretary, when I had my own trusted secretary?"

12