Broadcast News

Story Info
A radio DJ/TV news announcer's lifelong lovelife.
22.2k words
3.9
7.3k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Once Jerry hit puberty, he grew to over six feet tall. However, he was anything but muscular. Some called him lanky. By the time he went to High School, he had bulked up and worked out, so he was a muscular male specimen. Being one of the tallest boys in his class, the coach put him on the basketball team. He was one of the few that year that lettered. To say he was on a losing team would being mild about it.

However, he got on the speech and debate teams and did an outstanding job due to the fact that he had a baritone voice. His wit and sense of respect for his fellow classmates also helped him not only win debates, but he did it in a very diplomatic way.

He went to a broadcast school and then went back to his small city and got a job at a local radio station.

For a while he was doing menial tasks like getting the executives lunches and cleaning Cd's for the station. The hardest place to work was the midnight to 6 shift and the DJ's always quit, either to find better pastures and better hours, or just not making it in the business.

Jerry loved the hours, though. He was a natural night person and began keeping his small audience up at night with political sound bites and his own witty commercials of non-existent places that were just plain funny.

When the local republican committee complained, the radio station got some free advertising because of the press, but Jerry didn't stop with just the republicans, he went after the democrats as well.

The owner of the small radio company wasn't too thrilled and told Jerry this. Jerry told him that if he had a day show, it would even get better. So, Jerry, for over a year was stuck in the worst hours, for most people, that could be done.

However, competitors were listening and hearing his weird sense of humor and saw that his small audience was climbing slightly. It had been over ten years since that had happened.

One morning, having breakfast at a diner, someone in an expensive suit approached him and offered to buy him breakfast. Jerry said sure. It was a scout for a radio station in Chicago. There, they had a much larger audience and liked to be played with. He would have the same hours, better pay and much more freedom. Also, there would be a driver to pick him up in the evening and drop him off in the morning.

Darrel and Jerry went back to the radio station and he put in his two week notice.

Now, he was not only at a state-of-the-art radio station, but he had his own office that wasn't down in the basement. For his first week there, he worked with the older DJ and got to know the equipment. The old man, George, was retiring, going to TV as an off camera announcer.

A week after that, Jerry sat down, did his sound check and was in a glass studio that he could see not only the hallway around him, but out into the Chicago skyline. Once again, the audience for this time of morning was small, but, Chicago being a 24 hour city, there were a whole lot more people listening and there was keen competition between stations for every point.

He had recorded even more of his funny commercials to swing the points his way. To do his political satire, he had to read the newspapers and watch the local news. Soon, he had his sound bites going and the political world was up in arms at this nobody that was bringing him down. Even the mayor was not without having his voice heard in a series of sound bites that Jerry strung together and made one of the funniest political non-speeches ever given. Once that happened, the mayor was up in arms, saying he couldn't do that.

The newspapers and even his competitive stations were even broadcasting the fact that he was in trouble.

All this did was cause Jerry to make even more and funnier satire about the mayor and his cabinet. He took the points race to a whole new level, exactly what he wanted to do.

The big Chicago station that he worked for was owned by a conglomerate that owned hundreds of stations throughout the US. If they wanted, they could put him in the middle of Alaska, but, they liked the fact that he was using controversy to create money. The more points a station made, the higher the price for the commercials they could ask, especially if those commercials were on the person's show.

Jerry had started with public announcements, the usual free government material that the FCC told the radio station they had to run, however, the regular commercials were now more expensive to the companies that paid for them.

He was now the top man in his slot for the past two years. Still, life wasn't all that good. The company was making the money and his contract with them was iron clad. Another year with this company and he could ask for and get any wage he wanted.

One day, on his day off, he was invited to City Hall for a buffet luncheon for the media. Being a political satirist, he had never been invited and had never seen the mayor in person. Since he was the star of the city by now, the Mayor's political advisor asked for him to give a speech, something that Jerry was very good at. However, he would have to be very careful, the mayor would be sitting right in front of him. To his surprise, he was more or less, the entertainment for the night, so Jerry carefully made notes a week before hand, and, the night before the speech did the final draft.

Chicago, like all big cities, has their own radio and TV stations paid for by the city government. When Jerry arrived, a young woman came up to him and asked if he would like his speech put on a teleprompter. Jerry shrugged and said why not.

He was in his first tuxedo since his High School prom, and felt uncomfortable in what he called his monkey suit. He ate dinner with other members of the media, some his friends, and then it was his turn.

He got up and began reading, for the first time, from the teleprompter. This made him nervous and he didn't sound like the confident DJ everyone knew. However, the jokes and puns got through once the first couple of lines were out.

By the end of the speech, everyone, including the mayor who was in the final line, was standing giving Jerry a huge round of applause. The mayor then came up to the podium and shook Jerry's hand and the camera flashes began. The next day, his face was pasted all over the news with great reviews.

The manager of the station wanted to move him into the morning rush hour slot, from 5AM to noon time, but Jerry said he liked where he was and was benefiting the station from being there. He had already built an audience of those people that were up all night and was happy with that. The manager was not happy, but, once Jerry pointed out the fact that his contract was for those hours for three years, there was nothing the manager could do but wait.

Six months before his contract was up for negotiation, a competitor came up to him and asked him how much longer he had. Jerry listened to the man's offer. However, it wasn't radio anymore, Jerry had proved himself there. It would be TV broadcasting. The perks would be much better after Jerry could prove himself. That would be a year, then he would move along into bigger and better things. Still, his salary would triple along with the perks.

When he told his manager that he was leaving, the manager couldn't do anything about it. The competitor paid the balance of Jerry's contract and he was out in two weeks.

The perks were so much better. Here, advertisers paid for his suits and clothes so they could have a model dressed in their finest clothing. Jerry, used to working in t shirts and jeans now had expensive name brand suits tailored to his body. The studio had a practice studio and for a week, Jerry learned how to talk with a pin mike and where to stand and how to use the green board with all the buttons. He would be the new sports announcer. He had a staff of writers who sat and listened to him talk and changed their speeches to match his cadence.

A week after that, the anchor introduced the stations new sportscaster. Jerry read the lines like he had done it for years.

But, Jerry being Jerry, he wasn't happy with just doing stats on the different local teams. He had his writers begin to use video bites of local and national tapes to come up with what he called his Friday Night Hits. The worst hits in sports. A lot of stations did this, but, Jerry commented on everyone in his own way during this happening. The station had allotted him two minutes more in the beginning, but, when they saw the ratings go up, they gave him three minutes. For his Friday routine, Jerry would write his own script and even the anchor who was a solemn old man giggled at some of the quips that Jerry made.

A year later, the old man retired. It was time for a fresh, new approach to the news. Jerry was given co-anchor with a lovely woman named Deidre. A new studio was being built for the new team and more computer enhanced graphics would be coming up. The new studio wouldn't have cameramen there. Instead, the robotic cameras would be run by the director and stage crew from the back. This took a little getting used to at first, but, once everyone was comfortable in rehearsal, and the old man said his goodbyes, the stage was set.

Jerry, having been a celebrete, had his fair share of dates and conquers, however, when he saw the new weather girl, Jane, come on the set, he was smitten.

Part of broadcast news was sex, and most of the time, the woman would be sitting at the desk and wear neck high sweaters, even if it was 100 outside.

Jane, even in turtle necks, when she turned sideways, didn't need a pointer. She had a petite body with what Jerry and the other men thought were enhanced breasts. They were way too big for her small frame.

A Realtor that advertised with the local network found Jerry a nice apartment. Actually, it was too big for him, but he loved the closet space because his wardrobe was growing quickly. The price was right, so he took it.

On a weekend he moved his stuff into it and began setting up a small studio in the spare bedroom. The management company that ran the TV station also had radio stations in the area, and, in a month, he would begin doing his own show on the weekends.

The nice thing about it was that it would be taped beforehand anytime he wanted studio time. He decided to go back to his former satire on the local politicians and have fun with it.

It would be a two hour show and he had sound bites of different people making stupid remarks. However, now, he went national with the comments, even those people, including the President may or may not hear those comments and historic non-speeches that were layered together thanks to Jerry's ear and digital remixing that he had at his fingertips. He found out that he could pre-tape the show in his own studio. The empty room had a natural echo to it and gave a neat quality to his sound. A week earlier than planned, Jerry gave the manager of the radio station a month's supply of his shtick as it was called, he could sit back and listen on Saturday mornings and see what happened.

As usual, there was a plethora of stations vying for time and listeners. Once again, Saturday morning was when most people were still sleeping. Once again, the small audience began paying attention to Jerry's broadcast and, once again, the radio station asked him to stay on and do even a larger show.

Since this had to do with politicians, it was easy work. He broke for commercials, some funny, made by his own hand, and some real in the middle of a 'speech'. There were some politicians that didn't have a sense of humor, but, when they complained, another speech, even worse than the one that made them angry was made. Of course, scandal was the best one, especially if a politician denied it. Jerry wouldn't hesitate to go after anyone.

His numbers grew and the radio station wanted to change his slot. Jerry told them that as long as he could pre-tape his show, there wouldn't be a problem. At one point, they wanted him to make two shows per week, but Jerry said he couldn't. He barely had enough time for one let alone two. Plus, he wasn't making very much money from it anyway.

They told him that they would double his salary for doing it if he would. They already had a time slot picked out for him. The answer was still no.

It seemed to Jerry that he didn't have enough time for himself now. Even though he was a local face that everyone knew, he was lonely.

Although Dedra was married, Jane had just broken off with a boyfriend that wanted her all to himself to the point where she had to get an order of protection against him just so she could go outside and collect her fan mail.

Jane and Jerry both had publicists now that had photos taken of their stars and would send them out when a fan asked for it. With digital photography, Jerry's signature was only asked for once and it was put on his photos. He read some of his fan mail, mostly women who asked for a date, and some even sent photos of themselves either near naked or naked and in some kind of sexual position asking to see him. Some were nice, others were down right dogs. Still, his stock answer was the same, he was single, not gay, but seeing someone and thanking the fan for their picture.

Jane on the other hand got fan mail from men wanting to see her nude and doing all kinds of things. Jane had her publicist make photos of just head shots with her blue eyes looking at the person. Her publicist once commented on how many boys in the city jerked off to those photos.

One Friday night after the show was over, Jerry spotted Jane walking toward her make-up room. He let her enter and then knocked on her door. He had a political event to go to the next night and asked her if she would like to go with him as his date.

Since he knew that she wasn't seeing anyone now and might be lonely like him, and, since they worked together, why not. It would be purely social, black tie and gown and they would have a limo which would pick them both up.

Jane thought about it and said she didn't have a gown to wear. Jerry told her to call one of her advertisers that carried such products and see what they could come up with. She got on the phone and soon enough, one of them said it would be tight, but, if she could come over tonight, they could measure her and have one by tomorrow although it wouldn't be that fancy.

Jerry had asked her on the date, he called to see if his limo was there to pick him up. It was and at his disposal. They rushed down the elevator and got in his limo and went to the dress designer shop a few blocks away.

The dress maker told Jane that she should be in her bra and panties for the best fit, so, they went into a private room where she stripped down and got measured. From there, she got dressed and began picking out a fabric that would go nice with her blue eyes. Meantime, Jerry was on the phone with a jeweler, a friend of his, to find out if he had anything nice that Jane could borrow for the occasion. The jeweler would deliver it tomorrow morning at Jane's address.

Jane picked out the fabric and the dress maker began cutting and fitting the fabric to her measurements. Once again, Jane was in her bra and panties, but, the dress maker said that she could form a strapless bra under her breasts and make the gown strapless. Jane decided to go that way and make a statement for all of her fans to see.

Two hours later, the dress was ready to be sewed together and the two were off for some dinner at a local restaurant that Jerry liked.

Shrimp and steak for both along with a salad was brought to them and they ate hungrily. Jerry normally ate just breakfast and dinner, keeping his form fit along with working out at the local gym three times a week.

Jerry then drove Jane home, telling his driver to remember the address as they would be going there the following evening. Jane thanked him and got out. He waited until she was behind the door and told the driver to take him home. In a way, he was hoping that this would be more than just a formal date.

Saturday morning, Jerry woke early and made breakfast, then got his laundry together and got in his old car and went to the laundromat. He then went to the grocery store next door and did his shopping for the week.

Even though he could eat out everyday if he wanted to, he was saving his money for more important things. Since he had a limo service at his disposal, he kept his old car in tip top shape and used it mainly on weekends. It was good for local driving, but, if he wanted to drive anywhere else, he would get a rental, usually free from one of his advertisers.

He hadn't shaved yet in the morning, waiting until he would dress for the event later that day, and his beard was thick and heavy. Some people didn't even recognize him, and those that did, knew him already by now and left him alone. However, if he spoke to anyone, they would automatically figure out who he was and try to figure out where they had heard that voice before. Since he was on radio and TV, either one was a good hit and then there would be a autograph session. He carried pictures of himself in his car and would sign them right then and there so the fans wouldn't know. However, in the mail, they were done digitally. What they didn't know wouldn't hurt him.

At four in the afternoon, Jerry took his time and began getting ready for the event. He showered and his hair dresser from the studio came in and gave him a quick trim. He then brushed his teeth and, an hour before leaving, shaved and then donned his tuxedo, hand made by a local designer. It was one of a kind and would have been more than he could afford, but the designer was one of his clients and had made plenty of money using Jerry's voice to sell his product.

At six, he got in the limo and they drove to pick up Jane. Jerry had stopped at a flower shop and picked up some red roses and a corsage for her. He didn't know what to expect, but, seeing Jane on a daily basis, this would have to be great. He took the elevator to her apartment and knocked on the door. She already had her jacket on and was waiting for him as he had called ahead of time to let her know that he was on his way.

The short, waist length jacket was the same color as her gown and looked like there wouldn't be anything to look at this evening. In a way, Jerry was disappointed. Still, she looked gorgeous in it. Even the jacket was tight fitting and showed off her abundant breasts.

He escorted her to the limo and held the door open for her. There was a slit on the side of the dress to slightly above the knee, and Jane crossed her legs, showing Jerry a nice hint of leg. She had shiny nude color stockings on. She'd look good in a potato sack.

It was a two hour ride to the capitol. Even though it was a spring evening and had been a warm day, it had cooled once the sun went down. Jerry turned the heater on when she said she was cold. He was anything but, with her sitting across from him. He opened a bottle of champaign and offered her some, which she took, saying that she shouldn't drink, it wasn't good for her. He told her one drink wouldn't harm anything. She took the glass and they talked about work and where they were from.

Jane was from Florida. She lived near the beach when she lived home with her parents and was a dolphin cheerleader. Not the NFL team, but the local high school team. She got into broadcasting school because her father was a famous radio announcer in the region.

She said she used to spend hours with her father when she was young watching the man work his skills. The nice thing, as she got older, he began telling her what all the dials and knobs and meters were doing. When she was 16, her father let her run his program to find out if she had the right stuff. She never missed a beat, and, until she left to go to school, she was his director everyday she could.