All Comments on 'Brownwood: A Long Goodbye'

by DFWBeast

Sort by:
  • 244 Comments (Page 2)
Taffbanjo2013Taffbanjo2013over 6 years ago
Quite Beautiful.

Five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Heartbreaking my mom had this

Made me cry my heart out.Im a 60 year old man and never cry.After reading this story I could not stop.I guess that makes the author very good or my heart very broken.

Cookie7991Cookie7991over 6 years ago
So sad.

So very, very sad. Five stars.

TailakaTailakaover 6 years ago
5*

I'm seriously depressed now. My depression, though, will pass sooner than Nathan's. Excellent storytelling. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
5*....another great story from a great author

Congrats to the author for this great story.

I loved it all the way through. It is well written, wonderful context, passion and so nice to read.

Thanks and please keep writing more stories like that.

Lovely,

KP

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Pretty emotional

There was a movie a few years ago with a similar plot, but that's no reflection on this story. The female friend tried to avoid influencing him to think of her as dating material, but in fact was doing just that. She was trying to get him on the rebound. Would be good if he acknoledged that. Anyway, the plot was pretty depressing, unrelentingly so. It needed something to release the gloom

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Welcome to real life,,,

Wife, Mom, Dad, brothers and sisters- it doesn't matter; humans are not designed to live more than 70ish years. And when someone gets to the age they no longer know who they are,,,,,it's very painful to watch, to experience. Makes a person look at their own mortality, and examine their concept of God,,,,and even though most people won't admit it, deep in their hearts they ask the question: "Oh God, what happens if it happens to me? To be physically here,,,,,but gone mentally?"

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
DIDN'T WASTE MY TIME READING THE STORY WHEN THE SOLUTION WAS CLEAR.

Get off the bench and nail Bobby in the side of the head with the bonsai tree and then force-feed the tree, the dirt it's planted in and pot down his esophagus for touching the wife of another man.

If the wife isn't responsible, she needs to be placed where she can be looked after but coaxing readers to accept and expect her husband to sit back and tolerate some motherfucker taking advantage of his wife's fucked up mental condition is the Politically Correct, Left Wing Socialist, Deep State, One World Government gangsters pushing and promoting acceptance of moral decay.

SlipperySaddleBumSlipperySaddleBumover 5 years ago
A-FUCKING-MEN TO WHAT Anonymous 09/29/18 WROTE.

DFWBeast.... you're just another disgusting and unprincipled motherfucker who keeps shoveling shit onto basic decency and destroying the fabric of civilzation.

Freedom of speech is fine but where's the JUSTICE? All we saw was a man who sat on his ass and allowed the love of his life to be defiled. I have no respect or sympathy for this gutless Socialist Democrat asshole for doing that. She was as helpless as a child and, in my book, he DESERTED her so fuck him and fuck you, too, for peddling it as a 'good story'. . . . . And shame on you stupid fucks who fell for it.

I gave it two stars for good spelling and punctuation.

PaddyyddaPPaddyyddaPover 5 years ago
Heart rending

Impossibly sad, and beautifully written. Made me 'Get something in my eye'. Your best work to date Thank you.

PaddyyddaPPaddyyddaPover 5 years ago
I didn't understand

The part about the annulment though.

ohhfineohhfineover 5 years ago
Wow

Just wow, got the tears flowing, thank you and well done

NeuroBillNeuroBillover 5 years ago
Oh .my

How did you, the author, know how to translate such a human experience into words? Sad but wonderful. A 10 in a 5 point world.

JanxSpiritJanxSpiritabout 5 years ago
Heart Wrenching

Not sure what the "right" move is. The protagonist seems to be doing what he thinks is best for his wife and her mental state. There's no good answer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Fabulous

Too good for LW

Chuckles1966Chuckles1966about 5 years ago
Every time I've read this, it tears at my heart

I lived through something like this with my father. You're right - the pain is simply indescribable. And you've captured it well.

God, I hope I never have to go to this place with my wife. Praying for a quick, clean death...you never think you'd find yourself in such a place, but there you are.

etchiboyetchiboyabout 5 years ago
Kills me — 5-stars

My mother, who suffers from dementia, two-weeks ago didn’t recognize me. A first.

I died a little inside that day.

YouamiYouamiover 4 years ago
Jesus, this brought back memories

DFWBeast

Your brief tale reminded me of my own experiences with loved ones and dementia. I too remember the heartbreak when someone you have known your entire life no longer recognises you. I feel you approached this topic with great sensitivity and that you suceeded in portraying your central characters unwitting victims to this insidious malady. 5 seems inadequate, but you definately got my vote.

breville1breville1over 4 years ago
I wept.....

"Querido, where are you? Please don't leave me."

It simply killed me....

GrimmerGrimmerover 4 years ago
Heartrending

When they forget you it is heart rending.

When they know they are forgetting something or someone but cannot remember exactly what it hurts even more.

One of the few truly emotional takes here.

Gracias a un autor especial.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 4 years ago
Yes! 5***** because I can't give 10.

So many stories here are about reprehensible cheaters. This is so very different and sad. Excellent job! One of the best here.

Grimjack01Grimjack01about 4 years ago
Umm no words

This is so good I can't literally say anything about it.

InfiniteCycleInfiniteCycleabout 4 years ago
5 stars

Absolutely heart-wrenching.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Sad

Such a sad tale

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Got me

Well done, sir. 5*s

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Load

Load of crap.

MormonJackMormonJackalmost 4 years ago
Well done - thank you for a creative story

Touching, poignant ... wow.

Probably NOT what LW fans are seeking.

5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Its the first time i agreed with the author in this circumstance.

Usually when the author is trying to take the responsibility away from the women, and place it or hid it elsewhere, i disagree. In this instance and just about only this instance, I can agree, and sympathize. It was well written and shows us battles that go beyond the mind, to the heart and soul.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Extraordinary

very well conceived and crafted

SELSTIMSELSTIMover 3 years ago
Excellent Portrayal

You are either incredibly insightful and empathic or are close to someone that has suffered from this cruel disease. Either way your writing abilities are superlative especially when it comes to portraying emotions. Thank you, now if you don't mind I'm going to leave this facility.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 3 years ago

Brilliantly written about a mostly impossible situation.

Ravey19Ravey19over 3 years ago
What A Story

Moving, just totally moving. Brilliantly written and that ending was the icing. 5 stars.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Wow

Don't know if I'm going to like this yet, but it's already grabbed me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
I'd Never have Guessed...

that I would read an amazing love story written by a beast. I loved it, so heartfelt.

More please.

AngelRiderAngelRiderabout 3 years ago

The annulment makes no sense what so ever. The divorce I suppose but the annulment is just dumb and it would never be granted in a million years.

traddisagaintraddisagainabout 3 years ago

is there not enough sadness in the world that you have to add to it. I have read several of your stories and they are all full of grief and wrong doing. I,m out of here.

SlamnukeSlamnukeabout 3 years ago

While the story is sad, Alzheimer’s doesn’t work like this. You don’t retain your ability to have sex, speak, or do any normal behaviors as you forget people and memories. By the time you are forgetting people, your body functions will be all but gone. I’ve known people with Alzheimer’s and it’s a brutal disease, far worse than what this story indicates. At the progression of Eva’s dementia in this story, she would likely have been bed ridden at the end and unable to control her own bowels.

The Alzheimer’s meme as it is used on Literotica is frankly an insult to people who actually suffer from the disease and to family members who have seen it. In the real word, this kind of sex would be considered rape immediately.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Pity bait

That didn't work.

What? Is she in a facility that requires her to fuck other men? Is she a prisoner there? Is the husband helplessly retarded too? Has he no legal right to move her elsewhere? Put her in a care home for women only. Problem solved. As someone else said, punch the other guy in the head and tell him to stay away from his wife. Sue the facility for allowing his mentally incapacitated wife to be raped. She is, after all, a legally impaired ward of the facility, unable to make sound judgments, so having sex with her is rape. She might consent, but that's meaningless. She wouldn't be allowed to vote, or sign a lease in her condition, so her consent means nothing. They are allowing a mentally incapacitated woman be raped, so sue the ass of them and get her moved to a better facility.

But then, that's what a logical person would do, and you wouldn't be able to try and bait an emotional response from us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Sorry anon

There are no women only care homes, and even dementia patients have rights. Stop being a miserable hater, this was a gut wrenching story that I have seen played out.

Go vote for trump and STFu

AlberothAlberothalmost 3 years ago

I am currently caring for my OAP mother who is rapidly approaching the end of her life. She has small cell lung cancer and is just finishing radiation therapy and has finished her second cycle of chemo (second tumour in 2.5 years) and I don’t know whether she has Alzheimer’s or whether it’s old age that’s making her forget stuff, but considering her father’s family all had either Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s... it’s not looking too flash for her.

I’m waiting for the day when my mum screams at me, not knowing who I am... if the cancer has killed her first, and having to deal with the prospect of having to put her into a home for the remainder of her life. Reading this story always brings a tear to my eye.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

That was rather soul crushing.

iameaseliameaselalmost 3 years ago

Sad but seriously pointless.

HMAuthorHMAuthoralmost 3 years ago

Not pointless. So terribly relevant these days when so many live long enough to suffer this terrible affliction.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Heartbreaking, but beautifully written.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Really heartbreaking

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I felt so sorry for Nathan and Eva because her illness was the cause of her cheating.

My problem of the story was because Nathan and Eva were well off, he should had hired a 24-hours help as housekeeper or as watcher for Eva. If Nathan had hired help, the cheating would not occurred.

mac1729mac1729over 2 years ago

Very sad the truth of illness that can take anyone of us from the ones we love

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

No residential mental health facility would allow such an intimate relationship to develop involving a patient under their care who is not competent to provide consent for sexual activity. The facility and it's leadership would face both criminal and civil liability for the sexual assault of a cognitively impaired patient. Assigning a staff member to supervisor her behavior as their sole responsibility each shift would be far less costly than attempting to fund a legal defense against such well founded charges.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A very good story, very well told. Thank you.

LWlurker

SorchakSorchakover 2 years ago

Congratulations, DFWBeast. You are only the second LitE author to write a story that almost had me sobbing like a little boy who's just been told his beloved dog has died. And it only took two sentences to do it. The last two sentences almost wrecked me. The only other story to do this to me is called 'Word of Mouth' by Igreenwood. It's quite similar to this.

I understand in a vague, second hand sort-of-way, how Nathan felt. My grandmother passed away 2, almost 3, years ago due to dementia. Because I live in a different part of the province, 900 kms away, I didn't get to visit her as often as I would have liked, but seeing her slip away was not nice, the little I did see. Having it happen to a spouse must be infinitely worse. Especially if they're still 'younger'. Grandma was almost 98, so she'd lived a full life.

WrickettsWrickettsover 2 years ago

A very good story

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I've had this happen to both of my parents. I can easily put myself in Nathan's shoes. I'm not sure of the divorce angle though.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is just so sad. Both my parents had dementia & I’ve been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. The worst thing is not the disease because at some stage, I won’t know my own name but the fact that my wife has cheated and can’t wait for me to die, is just too much to bear.

Oh well, “bring on the dancing horses”.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Heart breaking! How deeply painful! 5*s

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Dementia is the worst chronic disease imaginable. If I was aware I had it, I would "take care" of it so my family and myself will not suffer. This story is so sad.

mattenwmattenwover 2 years ago

The most important thing for a relative of a person with severe dementia is to get some distance. Realizing that in spirit, the other is no longer the same person he was. Giving yourself the freedom again that the other no longer perceives you for who you are.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wow!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

5 stars. A moving story.

I smiled an ironical smile as I noted in the Similar Stories bar is the story "Already Gone".

I could not have thought of a more apt description for someone suffering dementia.

Loved one, do not look for them in the shell that remains, they are Already Gone.

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 2 years ago

On second reading, still a sad and sweet story worthy of the five stars I originally gave it. Well done.

Hooked

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 2 years ago

One if the best stories I have ever read. Heartfelt and heart-rending.

FlynnTaggartFlynnTaggartover 2 years ago

Part of me wanted to rate this a 1 it was so depressing and sad but that would be unfair. 5 stars, god that was an emotional beatdown to read.

MarkT63MarkT63about 2 years ago

He had no choice...

LordGeoffreyLordGeoffreyabout 2 years ago

A great story, but as one who turned 70 on Wednesday, dementia has touched family and friends. This hit too close to home but it deserves the highest marks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

This is the weirdest story I've read yet from DFWBeast. Thus, my low rating...

MasterKoteMasterKoteabout 2 years ago

Some will say "in sickness or health" but I'm pretty sure they would do what he did as well. 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Very touching, emotional story. Thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Extraordinarily well crafted story! You played me like a violin with the ending. 5+

mikaelTmikaelTabout 2 years ago

You killed me - and that surprised me. Thank you for sharing your work, it is beautifully crafted

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wow, damn, you got me! Very powerful, impactful story, with real people that we care about as readers. Thanks for this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wow. Heartbreaking. I am sorry but this is not cheating. She has dementia. The husband did not need to react like this. It is selfish. They could have changed her environment, implemented the patient policies, put her in a room with another woman, a whole host of things. If that was my wife with dementia (and I have a mother with Alzheimer's), I would not abandon her. That is what the vow means. That is his wife. The supposed adultery means nothing and could be fixed because she has dementia. And the ending means she at times knows what she has lost. 5/5 for originality but a husband who chose differently.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Heartbreaking. Just absolutely devastating.

And this comment, from a BTB fan.

No betrayal. No ninja spec-ops superhero. No indignant justification.

Just sadness for everyone's loss, and even more for the tiny, quiet moments when the real Eva struggles to emerge from the fog.

This should be up at the top of the list with Todd172's offerings.

I find myself wanting to protect Eva, while obviously laying no blame anywhere.

The greatest tragedy I have read in decades of coming to this site.

Damn you, DFWBeast. Life is not fair. You've proved it.

SyzyguySyzyguyalmost 2 years ago

Heartrending - especially that final line. Why on earth did he not stick with her as he had vowed, though?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

With a mom who had Alz on the last 2 years of her life and before that my dad had already the dawning of dementia, I can relate what the impact of the disease. It is an experience I do not wish even to my worst enemies. DFWBeast you are the best!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Five stars is too low a score for this story. Such a powerful story that must have been inspired by the lose of a very special person. The emotions revealed here brought back all the pain and some of the happiness my wife and I felt as we watched her 84 year old mother slowly fade away until we were thought of as her oldest friend or the man she was seeing before she had to go back home to her mother. My father-in-law was taken by cancer many years before Mom came to live by us so we were her support team but this story reflects the pain we felt when she needed more care than we could provide. In the end her reunion with Dad was the saddest blessing she could receive.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The care facility should have been sued into the ground. What a colossal screw up. And yes dementia really can be that bad. A rough topic. So sad. It is neither of their fault. Bad things happen to good people.

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanover 1 year ago

broke my heart well done damn

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Excellent but really depressing story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Tragic and romantic. Hard combination to write. Well done. Fully deserving Five Stars. I have seen dementia and Alzheimers first hand in close friends whose marriage of 46 years was a casualty of it. Killed a wonderful woman like a sister to me and left a wreck of the husband who was like a brother. So I know that pain well. Something like a living death.

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyover 1 year ago

This story is unlikely as two people with dementia wouldn't both be vibing with the same story and constantly being told about foreign names and concepts would incite them. But damn that was sad

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This not adultery nor is Nathan a cuckold. This is just tragic biology, coincidence, and a crappies run facility. Poignant, sad story. They still belong to each other. What happened with her dementia should not ruin at all the love they had. The real her died some time ago. Dementia is horrible. My mother had it and she is a shell of what she once was.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

KMN. A terrible story!

xhristianjxhristianjover 1 year ago

Is it depressing is it confronting does it make you think and feel and physically react to the words? Then it was a great story.....

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Powerful stuff, gets me every time.

Simon Masters

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

That last line is haunting me.

Simon_Masters

MoustacheSmugglerMoustacheSmugglerover 1 year ago

Jessica fucking Christ. That was heartbreaking. Bravo.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow... incredibly moving. From a master of another subgenre here. Richard Gerald quality.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Wonderful story; one can't say she was really a cheating wife, she was a broken mind

Rayjag1980Rayjag1980about 1 year ago

Wow, powerful story.

030251pervert030251pervertabout 1 year ago

Very sad. My mother had Alzheimer's and my father described it as a 'long goodbye'.

AA82ndAAAA82ndAAabout 1 year ago

Touching story with no chance of a here after. Do they really allow conjugal interaction in these homes?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDFWBeast@DFWBeast
Most of my stories fit in the "Loving Wives" category. Primarily they're "cheating wives/ revenge/ possible reconciliation" type stories. You'll rarely find stupid, clueless wives or weak, whipped husband's in my stories. What you'll find is flawed wives...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories