But Honey, It Was Just A Dance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Linda's face was showing more and more distress as she told her story and it was hitting home with Cathy. She shared her friend's pain and her own emotions were starting to show. A single tear broke loose from Cathy's eye and started to trickle down her cheek. "You shouldn't be telling me all this, Linda. Look at you, you're crying. Why don't we stop here?"

"No—no, I want to tell you the whole story, Cathy. You need to know the whole story, it's important. So, where was I...oh yeah, I know; I immediately took out my phone and called Harry. I asked him to come back and pick me up. That's when he told me he thought I was having an affair and he had a good idea it was with Terry. He said he was going to pack a bag and leave and he didn't know if he was coming back."

Linda picked up a napkin. "God, Cathy, it hit me like a ton of bricks," she said while dabbing the moisture from eyes. "It was like someone had just turned the lights on and everything suddenly came into focus. It wasn't Harry taking me for granted. Hell, he did everything he could to try and help. It was me; I was taking him for granted...him and Jennifer, as well as the life we had built for ourselves. I realized I was risking my entire marriage over some ass hole. I asked Harry again to come back and get me so we could talk, but he wouldn't do it, so I called a cab."

"What about Terry, what was he doing all this time?" Cathy questioned.

"Oh he wasn't giving up, not yet. He said Harry didn't deserve me and I should go home with him. I told the fucker to drop dead," she reported with a chuckle. "Even after that, he had to try one more time. He followed me outside to wait for the cab. As it pulled into the lot, he grabbed me and tried to kiss me. I gave him my knee right in the balls. While he was all hunched over in pain, I told him if he ever tried to contact me again, I'd file a sexual harassment suit."

Cathy reached over and took her friend's hand as Linda wiped away more tears.

"Anyway, by the time I got home Harry was gone. I tried to call him but he had his cell turned off. Cathy, I was so worried; all I could see was my marriage dissolving right before my eyes. My whole family-everything we worked for, going up in smoke. I'll tell you, Cath, I was never so scared in my life.

"The next day I tried calling him at work but he wouldn't talk to me. His secretary told me he even instructed the receptionist to block me from seeing him if I went over there. I was getting desperate so I went over and talked to Andrea, my neighbor. Harry liked her and her husband so I thought maybe he would talk to her. Well, he did but all he said was that he needed time to think and would call me in a couple of weeks. I knew trying to pressure him would just work against me so I decided to give him some space. Those were the worst two weeks of my life. When Jennifer was around I tried to stay strong and just told her that daddy was out of town, but as soon as she wasn't around, all I did was cry. I thought I'd really blown it. Harry was so pissed I really didn't think he was going to come back to me, especially if he thought I was cheating on him."

Linda was now crying as she remember the pain she went through.

"I'm sorry," she told Cathy, "It's...it's hard to talk about-even now." She took a deep breath, then picked up where she left off.

"As I was saying, finally Harry called and said he was coming home. Cathy I came so close to losing everything; believe me, it made me realize what I had and how unbelievably lucky I was. In the end, Cathy, love has to trump lust. I love Harry and he loves me. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a man in this world that is worth jeopardizing that."

"Wow," Cathy said in a pensive voice, "you're right. I don't know what I would do if my husband left me. Did you ever tell Harry the truth?"

"Are you kidding? As close as I came to losing him, I wasn't about to take a chance on it happening again. Cathy, I live in constant fear that someday he'll find out, but since the day he came home, I've tried to be the best wife I could be. No longer do I take him or our marriage for granted. Every day I thank my lucky stars for what I have and I show Harry how much I appreciate him with all the passion in my soul. All I can hope for, is that it's enough if he ever does find out."

Cathy squeezed Linda's hand in a reassuring gesture.

"I am so glad you told me your story. You've stopped me from making a big mistake, Linda. Thank you."

The two girls talked for just a few more minutes, then made tentative plans for the next time they got together, before saying good-bye. Linda was feeling good and knew she had just saved a friend from making a terrible decision. She pulled into her drive in plenty of time to greet her daughter with a kiss and an after school snack. Damn, she thought to herself, Jennifer is growing up so fast. She'll soon be ten years old. Where does the time go?

When Harry came home from work Linda greeted her man with hugs and kisses. She had never talked about that painful period of their marriage, until that day. Talking to Cathy just reminded her again of what a wonderful life she and Harry had built for themselves.

Later that night, as Harry laid next to her, wrapped in a blissful sleep, Linda rolled on her side and propped herself up on her elbow. She stared at the lines in his face that come from normal aging and remembered when each one showed up. With an almost imperceptibly faint touch, she traced the outline of a few of the later ones. Her heart pounded with admiration and love for the flesh and bones man who lay at her side.

Quietly, Linda leaned down and touched her lips to his, but as their lips met, Harry's turned up at the sides forming a big grin. He threw his arms around his lovely wife and pulled her down into a passionate kiss.

"I thought you were asleep," whispered Linda.

"Actually, I was laying here thinking about what to get Jennifer for her birthday," he remarked. You know what she really needs?"

"What?"

"A baby brother or sister."

This wasn't a complete surprise. They had debated about having another child but never really came to a decision. Linda smiled; it sounded like her husband just ended the debate.

"Well her birthday is only two months away, honey. Shouldn't we get started?"

Harry's smile broadened. "You read my mind."

Two months later Jennifer celebrated her tenth birthday with a big party in the back yard. Mom and dad invited all her friends, and there was plenty of ice cream and cake for everyone. After the party, Linda and Harry surprised their daughter with, yet another, expensive toy...and the news of a brand new baby brother.

The End.

*****

I hope you enjoyed the read. Comments, as always, are very welcome.