Carol's Car

Story Info
High School date finally consummated years later.
9.6k words
4.69
34.5k
18
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mattwatt43
mattwatt43
448 Followers

She got out of the building, moving, as usual, slowly and it began to rain.

"It's raining!" she said plaintively to the universe, but she unexpectedly got an answer. It startled her that a tall man with mostly white hair and a white beard was standing next to her, smiling and holding his umbrella over her.

"Oh, thank you, sir," she said. "It's so difficult with these darn arm canes to juggle an umbrella also."

"I noticed," he said. "Can I escort you to your car?"

"That would be so nice," she said and moved along with him with difficulty, using the two arm canes, with the clasps around her forearms for support.

Carol had never really gotten too good at the use of the arm canes but she continued to struggle with them.

They got to the car and she thanked him again and he departed with a smile.

Then the car! The car! The damn car!

Carol by that time was rigid with anger. She just wasn't sure if the anger was mostly at this damn old car of hers or at herself for being emotional about it, keeping it and not getting it serviced. So, now the damn thing was paying her back by not even making a pretense of starting.

"Lovely!" was her word, spoken out loud and then after some reflection:

"Fuck!"

She rarely engaged in profanity but this was a situation that called for it.

The car of course was only the representation of all of it for her. When she got into one of these momentary rages, she thought of it all: teen agers hooting and running the stop sign, hitting her car broadside, being killed themselves and rendering her legs unusable. Then Billy's unforeseen and world ending reaction that he couldn't relate to her as a cripple and leaving.

From a certain view point, Carol was doing okay. She worked at a Realty Agency and was doing okay but didn't take care of many of the details of her life, like the car, the car was Billy's area and, of course, Billy the shallow was gone.

She felt herself descending into tears, when she was interrupted. It was the tall, striking looking man again. He rapped on the window and asked if she needed help.

"I'm afraid so," she said, "Again!"

"What is it?" he asked softly.

"Oh, it won't start!" she said, and added, "And I was just about to have a crying fit about it."

"Well, that's one option," he said calmly.

"And now you're here and you're so reasonable, and it seems silly to descend into those doldrums over the car."

"Well," he said, "Unless I miss my guess, it's not only the car."

"No, of course not, and you're being so kind," she said.

"Well, shall I call someone or shall I take you someplace? Can I give you a ride home?" he offered.

She was unsure of what to do.

"Of course," he said, "Silly of me. Here's my card."

He handed her a business card that indicated that he was Dr. Matthew Wayne, Surgeon. Her head shot up and she said, in a voice of wonder:

"You're Matt Wayne?"

"Why, yes," he said, looking at her then with curious eyes.

"I'm . . .it's me Carol Burns," she said almost excitedly.

"Oh my!" he exclaimed, "Carol! I can't believe it!"

(A word of explanation: in high school, Matt and Carol had had one date. Matt was hopelessly smitten by her but she was the 'property' of Billy Felton, and Matt had no chance with her at all. He went away to college and tried to forget about Carol.)

"But, Matt," she said, "I'm keeping you standing in the rain."

"Well, I'll give you whatever help you want," he said.

"Oh, how nice," she sighed, "Could you please take me home? This darn old car; I never get around to getting it worked on. Billy used to do those things . . ."

Here her voice faded off completely, and he let it go. He opened the door and she got out and promptly collapsed but he grabbed her and had her up in his arms immediately."

"Damn!' she said. "These useless legs, and the canes can be so tricky to deal with, and here you are breaking your back with me."

"Not at all," Matt said, "Here, take this," he said, indicating the umbrella, which he'd been juggling all along. She took it and he strode away, after closing her car door, to his own car.

He had a white Jaguar.

"Lovely, lovely car!" she said, as he put her down, setting her onto the front seat, so that she could slide herself into the car."

"I just want to make sure that your car is locked," he said to her, closing the car door on her passenger side.

When he was back, he slid into the driver's seat and looked over at her. He was still stunned to have run into, of all people, Carol Burns. She'd been his huge crush in high school and that soft spot had never, ever gone away. But he pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind.

"Home?" he asked her. "Have you eaten? Would you care for some dinner? I don't know places around here anymore but . . ."

"You've already been so kind," she said.

"It's not kind only, Carol," he said, "It would be a great treat for me."

She smiled then at him and said, "Okay, on one condition."

"One condition, fine," he said to her.

"You let me walk," she said with a giggle.

"Oh, yes,; I apologize for that! The last year of my wife Bonnie's life, she died of complications of MS, I carried her a great deal. It just was kind of second nature. "

She touched his sleeve and said: "Please don't apologize, I was wrong for kidding you about it; I had no idea. I'm sorry about your wife. That was?"

"Oh, yes," he sighed, "She's gone for over 15 months now but who's counting!" he said ironically with a great sigh.

"What a caring man you are, Matt," she said then. Then she brightened and said:

"How about Italian? The Medici Palace is not far from here and it's really good."

"The Medici Palace it is!" he said.

When they arrived at the restaurant, the rain had stopped. He got out of the car and helped her out. He held his hands up in the air, when she was out of the car and said:

"Look, Mom, no hands!"

It made Carol laugh, and he grinned at her.

In the restaurant, over a glass of merlot, they shared each other's stories. Matt talked about the gradual loss of Bonnie:

"It was so bad during that time; I kept thinking that there should be something that I could have done, and there didn't seem to be anything at all. After the funeral, I just became the busiest surgeon around. I had nothing but work, a huge house and a new car. Pretty damn empty, if you ask me."

Carol brushed tears from her eyes, as he talked about his life with his wife and the tragedy of her illness and eventual death. He tentatively reached out a hand and wiped a tear from her cheek. It was a strange moment and one that they didn't talk about at all. But both of them regarded it.

Then she talked about Billy. He high school sweetheart, whom she'd married and had been the greatest disappointment in life that was possible. Billy, who'd failed at college and eventually got a job with a trucking firm. Billy who'd never provided well or enough, so that she went to work and eventually rose to manage the real estate agency. Billy the tragedy of her life, until those drunk teenagers slammed into her car and left her with useless legs, and regrets.

He said toward the end of the dinner:

"Catching up has been a real chore for both of us, Carol, but this is the most pleasant evening that I've had in five years."

Her eyes sparkled at that and she put her hand on top of his and said:

"Thank you, so much, Matt, I appreciate you saying that and I agree."

He drove her home, after the dinner. It wasn't spectacularly late but they were both tired.

"Would you come in for a late drink?" she asked.

"Yes," he said, "Do you by any chance have sherry? It's nice for late at night."

"Oops!" she said, "My bar isn't stocked very well."

"Shall I get some?" he asked, "There was a place on the way here."

"Well, . . ." she said, not sure what to suggest.

"I won't be very long," he said, and went to get the wine, coming back within the half hour.

They sat and had their glasses of wine and he said to her, finally:

"Carol, this has been supreme! Tell you what! Tomorrow I'll be here in the morning, and we can breakfast, if you like."

He thought for a moment and said: "I guess I'm being pretty forward, forgive me if I let my enthusiasm rule my head and my manners."

She smiled and said: "Matt, you are the most gentlemanly individual that I've dealt with in many, many moons. Tomorrow morning at 8 AM; I'll have breakfast ready for us."

"Oh," he replied, "I was going to bring McDonalds."

"No," she said quickly, "I'm much better than McDonalds."

Then realizing how that sounded, she began to laugh.

He joined in the spirit of the laughter and said back to her: "I don't doubt that at all."

It was a hug 'goodnight' for them at the door, as he left.

When he was gone and she was finally alone, Carol leaned against the door and said:

"Well, well, Matt Wayne!" and smiled.

He returned the next morning and was at her door at 7:58 AM. She met him at the door, looking fresh and ready for her day. He smiled and put his arms around her, pleased that she didn't tense up at all, when he hugged her. He also kissed her cheek.

"Good morning," he said.

"Good morning to my knight in shining armor!" was her reply.

"Hmm," he replied, "Never been called that before."

"Well, it's about time," was her come back. "Breakfast," she said then.

"Mmm, smells good," he said and "Better than McDonalds."

"Definitely," was her laughing reply.

He watched her get around with her stiffened legs and the arm brace canes and noted that she did it pretty well.

"You really zip around with those things," he said.

"Yes," she replied, "Better than McDonalds."

They both laughed at this.

During breakfast she said to him, in an apologetic tone of voice:

"I'm sorry to have to ask but I need help again today."

"Anything!" he said quickly.

"Wow!" she said smiling, "Now what I could do with that kind of statement."

"The gentleman means it!" he said, "You have only to ask."

"I have a really busy morning at the office and I need a ride to work, I'm afraid. I've called Lonnie Desmon and he'll get my car and do his magic with it again to keep it on the road."

"You mean Dooby?" he said aghast.

She laughed and said: "The very same; wonderful mechanic."

"Where does he work?" he wanted to know, "I'll look him up; I need to say 'hi' to him."

She told him where he could find Lonnie and they were set to go. Before leaving he turned to her and said:

"Can I pay this lovely breakfast back by taking you to lunch?"

"Lunch with my knight in shining armor! What a treat!" she said, heading out with him.

He held the door for her and went around to the driver's side. She was running her hands over the seat cushion.

"I just love this car!" she said, "It is so beautiful."

"Thank you for saying so," he said. "Now I need directions to your place of business."

When they got to the realty office, before he let her out, he asked:

"Will you please call me, if you need to go anywhere? I'm free in the city these days."

"Yes, thank you," she answered. Then after some hesitation she went on:

"How long will you be staying?"

"Well, I have some people to see this afternoon and some other items to take care of, while I'm here."

He went to visit his old friend Lonnie, after he dropped Carol off at her office. He had a plan in mind, knowing it was brash but he was in a brash type of mood.

Lonnie was overjoyed to see him, and equally overjoyed that he'd run into Carol Burns.

"Someone needs to start being nice to that woman; she's the prize of the age. If I didn't have my Marge, I'd run after her but you're more in her class."

Matt was pleased to hear what Lonnie had to say and told Lonnie of his plan. Lonnie agreed that it was a good one and promised to do what was needed in a short amount of time. He loaned Matt a car from his lot, while he worked on Matt's car.

"Her beast will take some work to get it or keep it going," Lonnie said.

"Well, I intend for her to have the Jag," Matt said, "I'll work it out with her somehow."

"You know, man, I bet you will," Lonnie said. "I'd love to hear that little bit of a conversation."

Matt indicated then that he had a meeting and needed to be at the hospital for it. The meeting went extremely well. Matt had decided to take an offer from the local Medical Center to return to his home town to head their heart surgery team.

His meeting was done in time for him to go back to Lonnie's, where Lonnie explained to him the modifications that he'd made to the Jag. Matt thanked Lonnie sincerely and made him promise to dinner soon. He indicated that he had to go back in a day or two home to just wrap up some things there before moving back in earnest.

A receptionist announced to Carol that Dr. Wayne was there to see her. She struggled to her feet with obvious pleasure, as Matt came through the door.

"Hey, Matt," she said brightly, as he entered her office. She noticed a more somber look on his face and asked:

"What is it?"

"Well," Matt said, "I guess it's truth time. Can we sit, Carol?"

She was mystified but agreed. There was a small sitting area in her office and they sat there.

"Carol," he began, "This is no casual trip down memory lane for me. I've been asked to come back here as head of the heart surgery team, and I've accepted."

Carol was intensely pleased immediately and without a thought said:

"Matt that's wonderful!"

He smiled at her, and went on:

"There are a number of things then, and I need help with some of them."

"Yes," she said, "Just name it."

"Well, I have another day but then I need to be home. I've sold my house and need to close on it, and there are some final things that I will need to take care of. But I don't have time for a leisurely trip back, like the one that I took down here, you see. Can we go outside for a moment? I need to show you something."

"Sure, Matt," she said, not quite sure what kind of help he needed.

They went outside to the parking lot and to his white jag. "I'd like to go for a short ride," he said.

"Well, fine," she said, wondering.

"No," he said next, "Why don't you drive?"

"What?" she asked startled, "You know that I can't."

He held the driver's door for her.

"Please, get in, Carol," he said to her, and she obliged him by sliding into the car.

It was then that she noticed that he'd had the hand controls added to his car that would allow her to drive it.

"Ohhhhhh, Matt!" she said now with tears on her cheeks.

"Let me explain, Carol," he said.

She was silent, just looking at him, as he slid into the passenger seat.

"I need to fly home and want you to take care of my car," he said.

She looked at him teary eyed. "I don't know what to say!" she said softly.

"Well, saying 'no' to the man who rescued you would probably not be the polite choice!" he told her.

She laughed and said: "I guess you're right."

"There are a few other things that I need help with, Carol," he said.

"I'm almost afraid to hear them," she quipped.

"No, very simple," he said. "I need a new home here; I like big homes. It's kind of my main vanity. Will you help me with that?"

"It's what I do!" she said. "Price range?"

"Oh, top price range," he said, "I think that the market here is not as high as where I come from. I just got $350,000 for mine."

"Oh, I see," she said.

"Carol, I'm terrible about picking homes; I really have no eye. Would you help me by, I don't know, looking for a place that you'd like. I'm sure that it would suit me just fine."

She smiled and said: "I can do that, Matt."

"And," he began.

"There's an 'and'," she said, laughing.

"Yes," he answered, "I'm milking that umbrella and dinner for all that it's worth. There's a small dinner for me tonight with the hospital administrator and a few board members. I'd like a date for that. Can you?"

"Me?" she said incredulously, "You want to take me to that dinner?"

"Yes," he said simply. "I'm trusting you with my car, the dinner should be easy."

They both laughed then.

"Matt Wayne," she accused him, "You're just trying to make me cry."

"Carol," he said, "That would never in the life of this world be my goal. Not ever."

"Oh, I know that," she said, "I'm just being silly."

"Not silly," he said, "Never silly; lovely, charming, beautiful, alluring, sensual, and any other kind of adjective that I can call up, but never silly."

Her response was to lean over and kiss him, a soft, lovely, warm, inviting kiss.

"We haven't done that since our one date in high school," he said softly.

"High time then," she said. "But the man wants a ride; I can give him a ride, look at my wheels!" She was grinning as she said this.

"Where to, doctor?" she asked.

"Lonnie's," he said.

They went to Lonnie's and he came out to greet them:

"Well, look at you two; nice wheels, Carol!"

"Newly acquired," she quipped with him, as they hugged.

"Your car is in the er," he said. "Doesn't look good."

"We're fine here now, Dooby," Matt said.

"Looks like I guess you are," Lonnie said.

"Where to?" Carol asked next, as they were leaving Lonnie's.

"How much time do you need to get ready?" he asked.

"Eeeep!" she squealed, "I forgot."

"Forgot our big night out?" he said, with a mock hurt expression on his face. "I can't believe it."

"Believe it, Doc," she said, "This blond is ditzy!"

"I like 'em ditzy," he said, "Besides, she's better than McDonalds!"

This brought her to all out laughter. Then she said:

"I need to go home now. Give me about an hour and a half and pick me up?"

"Can do," he said, "I need to go to the hotel and spruce myself up also; need to look like a first class surgeon tonight."

"With his dolly on his arm," she said, next, smiling.

"No, with probably one of the most beautiful women whom he has ever kissed in his life on his arm," he contradicted her.

She pulled over into a fast food lot, and leaned over to kiss him. They sat there for a few minutes and she said:

"Matt, I have a request also," she said.

"Anything, Carol," he replied.

"It's so nice to hear you say that," she said softly. Then she went on:

"I want you to get your things from the hotel and stay with me tonight."

The look on his face said it all; it was a readable mixture of pure joy, wonder and surprise all at once.

She hastened to add: "Matt, I'm not perfect; I'm damaged in many ways. You need to know that."

He sighed and said:

"Carol Burns, there's a small room in my mind, the back of my mind, that is labelled 'perfection' and your name is the only name that has ever abided in that room."

"Ohhhh," she said, "Now I am going to cry!"

"Here," he said, and pulled her to his chest, as she wept her tears of joy.

He dropped her off at her house, and went to the hotel to get himself ready. He also checked out and brought his bags back to her house with him.

She met him at the door looking lovely. The evening was a huge success. She was pleased to see him interact with the hospital people. She loved the way he was calm but sure of himself. She was a bit surprised to hear them talk about how famous his work had become. It was a full and enjoyable evening.

He parked the car in her driveway, when they were back at her house. Then he went around to her side of the car. With no argument now at all, she simply let him scoop her up into his arms and carry her to the back door.

In the kitchen, with the lights on, she said to him:

"I guess you can put me down now, I have to be active if the seduction is going to work."

"Oh, is this a seduction?" he asked smiling.

"It's trying to be," she said, moving across the floor towards the stairs to the bedroom. "You wait here and soon the seduction will come. In the large wall cabinet by the sink, there are some things to drink. I'll have a glass of the Bristol Cream."

mattwatt43
mattwatt43
448 Followers