Carrington Mansion Ch. 02

Story Info
The protagonists meet for the first time.
3.1k words
4.53
20.9k
0

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/24/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

An Englishman's property inheritance in Midwest America leads to romance between a womanizing son of a recently deceased Duke and a beautiful but feisty attorney. Both harbor an unfulfilled desire to find a mate who exceeded their expectations. In this chapter Kitty and Hayden finally meet and do a bit of verbal fencing.

*

Chapter 2

When heading to Mornington City in the Midwest, Hayden Carrington called on close kin in New York for three hours. His aunts and female cousins were agog that he'd become interested in just the one woman and she was American.

Aunt Elizabeth asked was she a New Yorker and Hayden said no and revealed where she lived.

"In that hole of Mornington -- the women are plain and dull and have only seen real beauty when the Carrington women from New York or England visit," Aunt Miriam huffed.

Second cousin Clara, who'd wantonly spent a couple of nights on earlier visits with Hayden but to no avail, asked crossly, "What's she like?"

"She has red hair apparently and a fine body."

"What, you don't know?" Clara snapped jealously.

"No, but I've spoken to her once. Her name is Kitty, she's an attorney and her voice spears through to my heart. I think she's the woman I thought I'd never find. Pity about the red hair."

"Dam the red hair," Clara wailed, rushing from the room.

Hayden grinned, "Bad time of the month?"

Aunt Susan, Clara's mother, said with restraint, "I would think it's normal behavior among the women left heartbroken in your wake."

"My late mother occasionally said she and her sisters were blessed, marrying men chosen by their heart. Would not you wish I were similarly blessed?"

Aunt Susan smiled through tightening lips. "Oh, do you have a heart Hayden?"

Aunt Elizabeth told them to cut the crap. "What's the name of this virginal princess Hayden?"

"Kitty Carlisle."

There was silence. Hayden knew what the aunts and their daughters in the room were thinking. He grinned, "No, she's not a figure skating queen or a stripper. I said earlier she was an attorney."

"Are you sure about that Hayden?" said Clara returning to the room, her eyes red-rimmed.

* * *

Entering the modest airport terminal Hayden wished he'd asked Kitty to meet him there. He couldn't wait to meet her, to touch her. Only six other passengers had flown on the final leg and they were already dispersing.

Hayden began walking to the car hire desk when a voice behind him callrd, "Lord Hayden Carrington?"

He spun around, the smile dying on his face at not sighting a redhead.

"I'm Kitty Carlisle."

The beautiful brunette raised her lips to be kissed and the near-stunned stranger raced in to oblige.

The woman kissed back and pulled away, saying coolly, "That was a friendly invitation to be kissed, not seduced, not with other people around."

Chastised and mumbling an apology, Hayden felt his heart almost break through his ribcage. What was happening to him?

"Welcome, I guess you have been here before?"

"Many times. Where's the red hair?"

"I lied," Kitty smiled provocatively. She moved from one side of him to the other, brushing her fringe from her eyes. Hayden had never seen a woman move so fast. Then she took his arm as if she owned him.

That encouraged Hayden. He leaned around and cupped the sides of her breasts and said she hadn't lied about them.

"Hayden, I know the English think American woman run wild with the sole interest of getting shafted."

"But I am America?"

"Living in England you'll be a little confused about nationality."

God, Hayden thought, she had a sharp brain. "I'll concede that Kitty," he said imitating an American drawl that made her wince.

"I prefer the mid-Atlantic version Hayden."

He asked mid-Atlantic what? She sighed, his brain jumped into gear and he remembered he normally spoke halfway between upper class English-English and couth American. "Oh I'm sorry, I'm anxious that you find me appealing."

Oh God, he thought, watching her closely and spotting a faint blush. Did that response mean she wanted him to like her?

"Have you booked a car for the duration of your stay?"

That seemed a straightforward question so Hayden answered, "Yes I have."

"I though you might, so I came by cab. Am I invited to accompany you into the city to the bar of your choice? With your reputation I guess you have sorted out the ones you prefer?"

That earned Kitty a quizzical look. "My reputation?"

"Yes Hayden," she smiled, adjusting an earring. "Access to information these days has no boundaries."

Hayden's walk slowed but she sailed on ahead, forcing him to pick up pace. "You mean you have read one of my unauthorized biographies posted on the Web?"

"I asked for information and was given it Hayden. One normally doesn't ask trusted staff whether their sources reviewed were signed off as approved by the person being examined."

Hayden's urbane cool was in danger of disintegrating. "You had me investigated?"

On to Kitty's face appeared a smile, presumably practiced, that seemed to beam trust and reassurance. "I possessed no knowledge about you Hayden. You seemed so bent on meeting me that I simply resorted to normal procedure to update my background knowledge of you."

Hayden stopped abruptly and this time Kitty also stopped. Gazing thoughtfully he said, "There's a contradiction here Kitty. How can you update your knowledge about me when you've already admitted knowing nothing about me?"

"Why am I under interrogation?"

"Don't duck for cover Kitty."

Caught by this unexpected aggression, Kitty said slyly, "I wanted to satisfy myself that you were clear of the asshole Carrington mold.

Hayden gaped. "The asshole Carrington mold?"

Relieved to be jerked into adversary role instead of bumbling about like a scatty teenager, Kitty countered. "Are you aware of the Anglo-American history of your family Hayden, particularly that relating to Mornington?"

"Yes, I think so."

"I'm the sole Carlisle-Bowden left within 500 miles of Mornington. Feuding over 150 years and then declining into more genteel verbal abuse and persistent harassment for much of the past fifteen or so years between the two rival families has resulted in the Carlisle-Bowden's either being killed out or driven out or wearily walking away until now there's only me left and a few passive Carrington descendents."

"Oh God, and you've survived because you're young and strong and because no English Carringtons are in permanent residence here?"

"Appears so Hayden."

"My ancestors had 800 years history of fighting to retain what was rightfully their land and their possession. Even the family black sheep Lord Charles Carrington who immigrated here as a military advisor one and three-quarter centuries ago was pressed into similar fights to preserve his wealth. It wasn't the fault of the Carrington family that the Carlisle-Bowdens chose to settle here."

"Well, it was the so-called Free Country Hayden. The French side of my family left France because they were persecuted for their liberal and idealistic thinking. Later a break-away group of them from Louisiana came here and believed they'd found as good as Utopia one could get in this environment and built up their land holdings. They hadn't figured on meeting rivalry from Carringtons unwilling to see their dominance in this territory, established by Lord Charles Carrington, challenged by a family with French, Irish and northern England origins."

"For goodness sake Kitty, don't blame me for that. You know I wasn't there."

"Keep calm Hayden, of course, I know that. Your family hid its undesirable traits behind title and the façade of respectability. In contrast you appear as open as a book and your exploits and your licentious behavior are publicly documented, suggesting you are out of the traditional mold of the Carringtons."

Hayden snorted, "This mold, I don't know what you are talking about. It doesn't exist."

Kitty remained tight-lipped.

Holding Kitty's arm lightly he said softly, "Come on Kitty, what is it?"

Kitty sighed and said families set attitudes. The Carringtons considered themselves superior, with a warrior tradition and a history to look back on with pride. In comparison her ancestors had an unshakable belief in freedom to live life undisturbed. Determined to adhere to that tradition the family faced immense periodic pressure to conform to the contrary beliefs of others and often had to relocate including fleeing across the Atlantic and then later under the face of a different type of suppression a section of the family broke away to across a large slice of America to try to find a peaceful existence.

Hayden said he understood what she was saying and in some ways the directions taken the American branch of the Carringtons and generations of her family were similar. "Truly I understand."

"Do you Hayden? Then consider this: My paternal great-grandfather Peter was murdered by Nathan Carrington and the murderer's claim that it was an accident was rejected and he was jailed. But within four months he walked free on appeal. Peter's son, my father's father, was found hanged on a tree that straddled the boundary of his farm and the adjoining farm owned by Clement Carrington. There was an investigation but without witnesses the coroner returned a verdict of suspected suicide. Our family's claims of feuding between my grandfather and Clement Carrington were rejected due to lack of evidence. Further, no one could explain how granddad managed to hang himself over a bough twenty feet above the ground with a rope from the swinging body almost five feet above the ground that only just reached the fence post where it was tied. As well, the hat he always wore and the old mare he was riding that day were never found."

"I'm sorry about your family Kitty, but why tell me this? You clearly indicated there was a lack of irrefutable evidence."

"I'm interested in you Hayden because I suspect you may be a rare Carrington -- decent in the core because you paint, but I can't say I'm impressed by your reported wanton behavior with women. But then again, if I may be allowed to contradict myself, I suspect I'm not dismayed by your wanton behavior with women."

"Yes of course, you may say that. But I still don't understand..."

"Please don't wallow, refusing to look beyond my mere words Hayden."

Hayden scratched his head and looked into Kitty's rather luminous green eyes. "I'll sleep on it and let you know."

"Don't over-tax yourself, I'll tell you. My father believed the Carrington's killed his father and grandfather. My brother, now dead but not at the hand of a Carrington. I was the only person with him when our car plunged into a river. I was thrown out on the way down and the vehicle hit rocks and bounced into a deep hole, taking Bossy Boots as I called him, believed to be already fatally crushed, to the bottom. At least twice a month our father would tell us, 'The Carringtons are assholes' and after my brother's death I had to listen alone because mom would know what was coming and flee the room."

"Christ Kitty."

"It's fine. Just don't turn out to be an asshole. There's the counter, I'll stay with your bags while you complete the transaction for your hire car."

* * *

Watching the Carrington over at the desk, Kitty thought well he did have a great ass and a great head of hair. She was aware she was optimistic about him and would probably go to bed with him if invited. At that she wondered what was wrong with her: weren't the Carlisle-Bowden's supposed to be stoic, predictable and incredibly suspicious?

As they drove off Hayden said, "You mentioned art?"

"Yes I paint in watercolors -- landscape."

"Sell any?"

"Intermittently, in the $200-$500 range."

Hayden asked was she self-taught. Kitty said she'd had tuition whenb passing through art school.

"But you're an attorney?"

"Yes, but I also did a degree in fine arts, majoring in art history."

"Oh-oh?"

The road ahead was clear so Kitty asked, "What?"

"That interest is why you've latched on to me."

Puzzled she asked what was he talking about? He'd called her from London. Until then she's never heard of him.

"Well I know absolutely nothing about you, apart from the fact you don't have red hair, at least not on your head."

She pouted and told him not to be so rude. "I can't understand this -- you're acting one minute as if you're actually interested in me and then you back off. It's confusing."

"That phone call, your voice did something to me and then that was confirmed by the image I created from your measurements. I...I..."

Kitty turned and snapped "What?" and then saw his face.

"Ohmigod," she blushed.

"I'm sorry."

She replied don't be and said she surprised herself by taking an enormous interest in him just from hearing his voice on the phone and after he'd identified himself.

Hayden's mouth opened and then closed without replying. They drove on for a minute not talking.

Being female resulted in Kitty unable to bear the silence. "You said something about me latching on to you. I've done nothing of the sort. Remember dickhead, you called me."

He grinned and let that one pass.

"Take a left here," she said and he said he knew that and could read.

"Sorry."

"Do you always apologize?"

She looked bewildered. "Actually no, and yet you appear to have brought that out in me."

"Trying to impress," he grinned. She mouthed the word asshole and his grin widened.

"You being into art, knowing I was really big into art and somehow finding out I have inherited the Carrington Estate in Mornington, you've decided to make a play for me."

"What!" Kitty yelled. She was looking ahead while Hayden had turned to look at her. The yell startled him and so he braked heavily.

Kitty yelled, "What the fuck are you doing?" Turning to look behind them she was relieved to find no other vehicle about to slam into them. They began moving again. Hayden muttered sorry.

"I had absolutely no knowledge about your inheritance and until you called was unaware you existed."

"Sorry, I took it that you knew."

"Please stop apologizing. We've both decided to make such a good impression we are bending over backwards to lick ass."

The car swerved. They laughed when Kitty said sorry.

"I meant I regret to say I have an unladylike streak running through me and occasionally I fail keep the lid on, like just then."

Hayden reached over and patted her leg. Kitty was wearing a short skirt and the vehicle being a roadster meant the laid-back seating position had exposed almost the total length of her thighs. Hayden's hand was quite close to the edge of Kitty's panties. As he finished saying a bit of rough talking suited an attorney with family connections back into the Wild West, they looked at his hand on the long length of olive skin.

"Remove you hand but don't say sorry."

Hayden did what he was told and pulled into parking space almost in front a bar.

"It was an involuntary action and I was keen to confirm I don't mind you being a little wild."

Kitty said she liked the idea of him thinking about her. "I don't mind you being interested in my legs -- you are an artist. Just don't rush it, huh?"

"I'm not an asshole Kitty."

She smiled and opened her door saying, "You're so smooth Hayden. No wonder you nail the women around you."

"Kitty, I..."

"Relax Hayden. I really don't mind, truly."

Hayden said he'd get her door and jumped out but by the time he'd loped around the front of the vehicle she was out, with the door closed. He opened his mouth, presumably to apologize, so Kitty pulled down his head and kissed him.

Taking Kitty by the arm Hayden said, "You're gorgeous Kitty, do you know that?"

"Yes because I've been told often enough but be careful Hayden, Nailing a guy is not unknown to me."

The owner hurried over and almost groveled. "Young Mr Carrington, how pleased we are to see you again. It was with regret we learned about the death of your father and we express our condolences."

Kitty looked around to see who 'we' was but only Harry was near them.

"And greetings to you Kitty."

"Thank you and hi Harry."

"Kitty is a regular and often brings her clients here," Harry explained. "Those are her offices, directly opposite."

Hayden turned and saw the modest brick building he'd not noticed on earlier visits. It obviously had been upgraded stylishly and the brickwork rejuvenated.

"Kitty Carlisle, Attorney at Law. Very nice. Do you own the building?"

"Yes, Kitty owns seven of the eleven buildings on that block and a 32,000-acre ranch inherited from her parents."

"Thank you Harry," Kitty glared. "Hayden, this loud-mouth served twenty-seven years as ranch foreman for my dad."

"Yes, and Kitty bankrolled me into here," Harry said.

They watched Harry limp to the bar and give their order to the female bartender.

"That guy is so proud of you."

"He finds it necessary to assume the role of a father figure to me. Don't mind him."

"Exceedingly proud I'd say."

"Lay off Hayden. Harry and Katrina don't have kids."

A doe-eyed barmaid with plenty of flesh showing brought their drinks across and gasped when she saw who was with Kitty.

"Hayden, so lovely to see you again. I was sad to hear about the duke."

"Thank you Lisa. How are you going?"

"I marry in four weeks Hayden. By the way, that neck to knees nude sketch you did of me -- I hope you don't mind but I sold it to dad and mom for a couple of hundred. They didn't want anyone else seeing it, not with...Lisa looked at Kitty. "Well, you know Hayden. Hi Miss Carlisle."

"Good evening Lisa. It that Benny Arnold you are to marry?"

"Yes, do you know him?"

"I do, he's a client. You've done very well Lisa."

As Lisa walked away, hips swaying, Kitty asked casually, "How long ago did you paint Lisa?"'

"About eighteen months."

"Christ Hayden, she's almost young enough to be your daughter."

"Nah, she was eighteen."

"You are best advised to stick with babes around your own age. If you are here and get desperate, give me a call."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

Harry pulled an ear lobe. "But why?"

"Young females should be left to grow up slowly."

They lifted their glasses in silent salute and remained lost in their own thoughts for a few moments.

To be continued...