Castaway Ch. 03

Story Info
James comes to terms with his new reality.
22.1k words
4.55
79.2k
67

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/05/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rnebular
rnebular
838 Followers

All characters in this story are fictional and any that engage in sexual activity are over the age of 18. I hope you enjoy reading it! Please read chapters 1 and 2 of this series first, as there is much needed context in those chapters.

If you have gotten this far, I thank you. If you are half as entertained by reading this, as I was when writing it, I will be glad. I would like to thank all the commenters for the helpful suggestions. Trust me it will make me want to write a better story for you all, even if your comment was negative. Research appears to be an area I need to improve upon, and am trying to do better.

Thanks to Guinahart for taking the time to edit this for me, and thank you for taking the time to read it.

And now, on with the show...

*****************************

Sitting on the beach under an umbrella is more therapeutic than I had ever imagined. My flight had landed fine, and after checking into my resort, I had gone down to the beach. That was yesterday. I made the migration to my hut for dinner, too much of the liquor cabinet, and then bed. This morning, I had some coffee, a light pastry breakfast, and came right back here, to the beach.

Some friends of mine used to always post pictures on Facebook, of some lounge chairs next to the blue water, and a white sand beach. I used to see those, and think, 'Yeah, that would be nice.' Sitting here, now, I knew that those pictures could never do justice to the peace that I felt.

There was a nice warm breeze, and it was a perfect 83 degrees out. The place I had chosen was a semi-private beach area, so all the public beach goers were much further down from me. I could see the little dots of people from afar, but they wouldn't be interrupting my calm. The waves were small but constant, with a very occasional larger wave that would just get high enough to crest. The white plume of spray from those waves made a wonderful splashing sound.

The sand was pure, and the water as clear as glass. I could stare at this for hours, and do so with almost no thoughts running through my over-worked brain, aside from the beauty before me. Off in the distance, over the water, were a few wisps of clouds. Behind me, around the beach hut, stood dozens of large and proud palm trees, surrounded by what looked like very large versions of the Rhododendrons of the Northwest. I saw pink, purple, white, and even some red blooms on these plants. Color everywhere was the theme here.

Of course, all good things must come to an end. As I sat, my phone buzzed once. I checked and it was a text message from Maddy:

Love and miss you daddy!
Plz call
Hope to see you soon
Luv Maddy

This simple message brought a single tear to my eye. I would do anything for my little girl, but I think the one thing she wanted, would be the one thing I could not give. She wanted her perfect family back. Sadly, she's not alone. I wish I had that back too, but now we were way past going back to what we used to be.

I text back to her:

Love you too baby!
Just trying to relax here
Will call tonight, promise
Love you MORE!

The one thing I would need to remember was the time difference. With her on the East coast, and me in Hawaii, it was at least a 6 to 7 hour time zone difference between us. I would have to double-check that. Well, with that message, my perfect beach day was put on hold. I got back up and wandered back to my hut.

For the first time in a very long time, I had nothing to do. I mean, literally no one was waiting for me to do something, and no one was depending on me. I didn't have any jobs that I needed to rush off for, and I had no urgent meetings or calls to attend to. The feeling was both extremely liberating, and a bit disorienting. I wasn't going to try too hard to keep busy though. I decided that I would adopt the philosophy of some of my favorite cartoon characters; 'Hakuna Matata'. I was once told, roughly translated it means 'no worries'. Thanks, Timon and Pumba, for letting me steal your saying. I chuckled to myself, at my inside joke.

I made myself a sandwich and fruit cup, from the items I found in the stocked fridge. This was turning out to be the best vacation I had ever gone on. Sadly, that brought on the thought that it SHOULD have been with Caitlin. Well, fuck... that ruined my good mood some just thinking about it. I had successfully kept her and our situation from entering my brain for almost a whole day, but now it was driving its way back in with force.

Before my day could get too fucked up, I turned to the liquor cabinet. This was fully stocked as well. When in paradise, one must enjoy all that is provided. I should copyright that, perhaps. It might make a decent Hallmark card. Regardless, I found what I was looking for, and took the bottle down.

I poured at least a shot or two into a large cup, added some unlabeled bottle of fruit juice to the Rum, and stirred. It smelled like it might be pineapple, but whatever it was, tasted great. I would have to ask what kind of juice this was, so I could get some more later on. I put a straw in the cup, grabbed my lunch, and walked back down the beach, to sit in the lounger.

Sitting there, I raised my glass to the blue sky. "Here is to the memory of my marriage!" I lowered it, and took a nice long gulp. The sky did not toast me back, but I think it understood. Maybe I was starting to lose it a bit, but either way, I decided that I was going to be just fine.

I ate my lunch in peace. After finishing, I decided it was time to get in at least a few minutes of productivity in my day. I would make some calls to tie up the loose ends still floating. I would need to call Sandra and Tony, to get things sorted legally back home. Also, there was the matter of where to live.

Time for call number one. I just hoped that Tony was still at his office. I dialed his number, and it rang three times before he answered.

"Tony here, is that you James?"

"Yeah, it's me. So, are there any updates to my situation?"

"Somewhat, yes. I filed the motion with the court to have him removed as partner. The judge put a temporary hold on it, seeing as how Cyrus is only charged and not convicted. Also, the feds demanded copies of all the business records, thanks to Cyrus and his side activities. The good news is that Cyrus skipped bail. He was supposed to show up for a hearing today, but missed it. This is very good for your case, and your eventual sale. I still have that guy on the west coast interested, once this mess with Cyrus gets taken care of. You should be getting the email today with the power of attorney that we discussed as well."

"OK, I will get that back to you as soon as I get it. As for the sale and Cyrus situation, keep me posted."

We both hung up, not really needing to waste time with goodbyes. So that idiot skipped bail, huh? What's next? Is he going to rob a bank? How the hell did I not see all of his flaws before I got into business with him? They were always there, but it seems I overlooked them. Another life lesson I suppose.

This drink sure did taste good, after having yet another sip. Before I could make another call, my phone buzzed from an incoming call. The caller ID said it was Curt Simpson, I wonder what he wanted.

"Hello this is James."

"Mr. Holmes, this is Curt Simpson. We were watching your wife's house last night, and have something to report to you."

"Go on," I said, interested now.

"I was sitting about two houses away, when at approximately nine in the evening, a dark silver BMW pulled into your driveway. I took photos, but can tell you for certain it was your partner Cyrus Black. He went to the door, and was let in without an altercation. I could not tell what was spoken."

He paused, waiting for me to respond. I had nothing. All I could think was that the bastard went back for more... How long has this been going on? How the hell didn't I see it? I had thought we were happy, but I guess this did explain a few things about my wife's behavior since this all started.

"Go on," I said, with the calm that can only come from some good Rum. I took another drink while I listened.

"I watched the house all night long, and he left the premises around seven in the morning. Once he drove off, I followed him for a bit and observed him going to a small motel about two miles away. I left after he went in."

"Thank you, Curt. You have helped me out more than you can possibly imagine. You can stop your tail on her now, but I have to ask, did you get photos, or any evidence of last night? It might come in handy for my lawyer. Also, make sure his location is forwarded over to the cops. I hear he skipped bail and they are looking for him." I had to chuckle at that. He must be stupid to skip bail, and not hide better. Serves him right.

"Yes, I took some pictures. I didn't really think you wanted to know or see them, but yes I was able to get a decent shot through a window of them together. I will send those over to your lawyer. As for turning him in to the cops again, you got it. There is one other thing. We were looking into the things that the ATF found, and it appears that Cyrus was working with someone named Christopher Hood, a government employee. The feds are keeping tight-lipped about it all, but it sounds like another dirty politician to me."

Son of a bitch. The FEMA asshole, was working with Cyrus, too? The hole just keeps getting deeper. I might run into Alice anytime now... "Wow, ok, thank you for the update, Curt." I was just stunned.

"You're welcome. James... I truly am sorry about this. I hate when good people get treated like shit. It's one of the reasons I do what I do, to try to at least bring a small amount of justice into people's lives."

"Thanks."

We ended the call. Well wasn't that some shit? It was starting to make some sense though. He was not just trying to put a wedge between my wife and I. He truly wanted me out of the picture so he could have her, and our business. I don't think I was going to be able to trust anyone again, ever. I sighed deeply, looked at my mostly empty Rum drink, and decided it was time to mix another.

As I made my way back to the hut, I had a disparaging thought. What was I going to do now? Where was I going to live? I knew I never wanted to see her again, so Virginia was out of the question now. Where else could I go? Then it hit me...

Why not stay here?

I mean, obviously not here at this resort, but why not stay here in Hawaii? This place was perfect, and I was pretty sure there wasn't much to go back to Virginia for aside from Maddy. She was off at college anyhow, and would most likely understand. I would have to make some more calls.

Next up, I called Sandra. She was less than pleased at my calling right before she was to head out for the day. It was already nearly six in the evening on the East coast.

"Sorry for the late call Sandra, but I will be brief. I wish to move forward with divorce, but want to change it to claim her adultery as the cause. I want her to hurt, and don't want to pay her a dime in alimony, if I don't have to."

I think I caught her off guard, because she paused before speaking. "Are you sure about this, James?"


"Very. I just learned that her affair was not a one-time event. I have no wish to hear her lies anymore."

"OK. If Curt has some proof of an affair for me, I can have it done tomorrow, and will call you with the details after she is served."

"I already asked Curt to send what he has over to you. As for notifying me, no need. Just send me a quick text message when it's done. I don't need any details. Thanks again, for everything."

"James, again I am sorry this happened, but will do what I can to help get this wrapped up."

With that, we both hung up. And just like that, my marriage would begin the final nose dive. I was about to start wallowing in more self-pity, but decided, it was 'Hakuna Matata' time. Fuck her. She wasn't going to ruin my life anymore. I finished off the very last of my Rum concoction, so mixed another one. I could get used to these. I put the plate in the sink, and sat down on a chair.

Now that those major items were handled, I needed to move on to number three for the day. Find a new home. This was easier said than done, especially since I was not from around here. Where the hell was I supposed to live? Perhaps I should check with the concierge. They knew everything anyhow. They were paid to know everything about everything, or find someone that does, right?

I slid on my sandals, took my drink with me, and walked up the path to the main building. The side doors slid open, and the hiss of the air conditioning at the door greeted me. The blow of cool air down from above felt great, but didn't stop me from continuing on to my destination. The concierge desk was off to the left, directly across from the main entrance doors on the right.

She sensed me coming, and turned with a very genuine smile. "Good afternoon sir. How may I help you today?" she asked.

It took a lot for me to not say the first thing that came to mind. She was gorgeous, and I was having less than pure thoughts just then. She looked like a native, with long wavy hair, and a voluptuous figure that filled out that flowery dress she had on perfectly. I would have to keep from staring, to have a human conversation with her.

"Well, hopefully you can help me. I'm only staying here for a few days, but have decided that I really like it here, and want to stay on a more permanent basis. Any idea where I could find someplace to stay? I know this is an odd request, but my life's changed directions on me recently, and this seems like the perfect place to start over."

She paused before speaking; apparently digesting the brief life history I just gave her. "Sir, I am not a real estate agent, but can tell you that the general cost of living here is pretty high. Also most homes in the area are over-priced. I can give you the name of someone to talk to about this though. Would that be ok?"

"Sure. Thanks."

She flipped open a book at her desk, found what she was looking for, and wrote something on a small piece of paper. She tore it off, and slid it across the desk. "Here is the name of a woman I trust, give her a call. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

"Come to think of it, there is. What could I do for fun around here tonight? I was thinking of touring the island, but have no idea where to start. Also, just curious, but what is the name of that juice with no label in the room?"

These were much easier questions for her to handle. She went over several options that were great for tourists, some of which started here at the resort, while others required a cab ride. She slid me some pamphlets, as well as the hand-written note. I thanked her, and turned to head back to my hut. I could have sworn she was giving me a lustful look, and maybe even a wink when I had thanked her. Maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Leafing through the pamphlets, I found several that looked very interesting. One was for a helicopter tour of the island. Another was for the military museums all over the place. I would make sure to at least visit the Arizona Memorial, if nothing else. Hey, I saw the movie Pearl Harbor, too. There were a few others that I would review back in the room. Of interest though was the handwritten note.

Juice Name: Lilikoi Passion Fruit

For your home search:

Leia Malana, 808-555-1234

Kim, 808-555-6789 ;)

I really wasn't ready to jump right back into the game, but was flattered that she would flirt with an older guy like me. Regardless, it was a nice ego boost. I would keep that number for future reference though.

I guess I had more phone calls to make. My phone was getting more of a workout today than any other day in my life. First I would call Leia, the real estate agent. I waited until I got back to my hut before making the call.

She picked up with a cheerful, "Aloha, this is Leia." Her voice sounded beautiful. Were all the women of Hawaii going to be like this? I was beginning to think this was the best decision I had ever made.

I snapped back to the present. "Um, hi, my name is James. I am in the market to buy something a little more permanent than staying here at this resort and Kim from the concierge gave me your number. Would you be able to help me out?"

"Of course, it would be a pleasure. Could you tell me generally what you are looking for?"

"I don't need anything big, really. I probably need two bedrooms, but other than that, I haven't given it much thought yet."

"Ok, do you have any preference on location?"

"Just somewhere close to the ocean." She chuckled, and even I knew that it was a corny joke. "Seriously, I don't much care about any place specifically. I would think somewhere partially secluded, but still close enough to civilization to still feel like a human."

I could hear some writing on the other end. "Ok, I will work up a list of possibilities and we can meet to go visit some of them. Sound good?"

"Yeah that sounds great, thank you."

"I will call you tomorrow. Aloha!" She ended the call just as pleasantly as she had answered it. I was really going to like it here.

Final call to make. I had promised I would call my daughter, and I would always do my best to keep my promises to her. I mixed up another 'Beach Pineapple' (my own nickname for it now), and walked down to the lounger on the beach again. I sat, and took out my phone. I stared at the screen, looking at her contact photo in my phonebook. She looked so much like her mother. I really hoped she didn't inherit her crazy genes, too.

The phone rang several times, and eventually, went to her voice mail. I listened to her sing-song voice, as she told me to leave a message, and she would get back to me. I was half-way through a quick message to her, when my phone buzzed that I had an incoming call. She was returning my call. It was funny that didn't happen more often, I thought to myself.

I answered her return call, hanging up on the voice mail. "Hi honey, glad you could call me back so quickly. I hadn't even finished leaving you a message yet," smiling as I said it.

"Hi Daddy! Yeah, we were a bit busy, sorry."

I could almost hear her blush through the phone. She said we... I wonder if she meant she was with her girlfriend, or her mother. I really didn't want to talk to Caitlin, so I decided not to fish for the answer.

"Oh that's ok, I just wanted to check in, and let you know I am doing well. This place is truly magical, and hopefully, you can come out sometime soon to visit."

"Visit?" She paused, and I knew that I had fucked up. "Dad, what are you saying?" Oh shit, I needed to work on keeping things simpler when talking to people.

"Honey, I am deciding to make the move out here permanent. I haven't found a place yet, but will start looking tomorrow."

"WHAT? You CAN'T move that far away! Now I will never see you..." she sounded like she was about to break down into tears.

"Maddy, you are always welcome to come visit, and I can help pay for you sometimes. I can still come see you too, you know? I'm sorry, but this is just something I have to do..."

"Have to do? Dad, I know mom royally messed up, but do you really need to move half-way around the world?"

This was the conversation I was truly afraid of. I didn't want to hurt my daughter, but also really felt that I needed to start over, and I couldn't do that in Virginia. I hesitated to answer, probably too long, actually.

"Dad, are you divorcing mom? Oh my god, you ARE!" She started crying into the phone, and I was choking back some of my own tears. I hated to hear my little girl so sad. I would do everything I could to soften it for her though.

rnebular
rnebular
838 Followers