Catching Colleen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We went over everything Ralph had listed, and that left us a half hour for free throw remediation. I whistled, put the girls in a pack in the bleachers, and grabbed a ball.

"If I give you the ball, you must answer the question, okay. Good! Now: You are in the state finals. Your team is down one point, and you were fouled with one second left on the clock. What do you do?" I tossed the ball to Chrissy.

"Uh, shoot the free throws and they either go in and you win, or you make one and you get overtime, or you miss and you lose."

"Toss the ball back. Good answer, but not what I wanted to hear. I rigged the question. I thought all day about what answer I wanted, and I knew I would not get it. What about this answer: exactly the same thing you do every time you shoot free throws." I tossed the ball to Renée. "What do you do after the ref gives you the ball?"

"I dribble it sometimes, then I spin it in my hands, then I dribble again, and then I usually shoot."

I went over to the nearest basket and stood at the free throw line. I spoke louder. "Not a bad answer, because I've seen you do that several times. Here's what we'll all do, from now on. When you are nervous, it helps to know what you are going to do exactly. Here it is, I'll demonstrate as I talk. Before you get the ball, make sure you are lined up with the basket, with your right foot slightly forward, feet about shoulder width. Behind the line by an inch or two. The ref gives you the ball. You dribble two times, looking at the ball. Keeping your elbow under the ball, you look up at the rim and shoot. Shoot means you reach out and try to grab the rim." I shot. It went in.

"And that is how you practice it every time. No spinning, because it ruins the rhythm of shooting right after your second dribble. Okay? Penny come here."

She did not look confident. "Okay, now I'll repeat the instructions, and you do it. This method is not foolproof, but it is better than not having one so we'll do it this way for now. By the end of practice, I'll bet someone here can make free throws without even looking." They did not believe. "No, really."

"Okay, Penny, I'm the ref. Line yourself up. Good. I throw you the ball. Two dribbles, normal rhythm, look at the ball. As soon as you finish the dribble, you keep your right elbow under the ball, look at the front of the rim, and you shoot. Reach out and grab the rim." She did, and it hit the front and bounced back. She looked crushed. "No, that isn't bad. Now you know you are a little short so throw the next one harder. This will tie us for overtime in the state finals. Here you go. Lined up? Two dribbles. Elbow under. Reach up and grab the rim." And it went in. "Again. And now you know how it should feel."

"Say the steps to yourself. You can say them aloud, if you want. Dribble, dribble. Look up and shoot." It went in. "Again. Everyone say it with me. Dribble, dribble, look up and shoot. And one more time, then we'll change something. Dribble, dribble, look up, and shoot." It went in.

"Three in a row? You are some shooter. Now we're going to do it the same, and close your eyes after your second dribble. Just do it. Dribble, dribble, look up and shoot." And it hit the back of the flange. "Remember, a miss tells you what you did wrong. Do it again, close your eyes, and not so hard. Dribble, dribble, look up, and shoot." And it went in. "Yes!" Penny was grinning.

I split them into small groups; we have four usable baskets. Each of them tried the method; the closed eyes method was not recommended unless they had made three in a row. I said, "Okay, let's see who gets five in a row first. Count out loud and loudly the made shots for your teammates. Switch shooter every ten shots." I had kids all over counting loudly the made shots. It took a while, but getting three and then four in a row became common. Finally, Renée made five in a row. Her hands went up in triumph, her mates were yelling "Renée did it!" And some parents in the gym were clapping also. And we were over our time in the gym.

"Girls. Sorry, LADIES, seats," and everyone went to their seats as the boys team took the floor.

"Fun. Bobbi, how many free throws did you make in a row?"

"Four."

Then I asked, "Out of ten, how many did you make?"

"I didn't really count that, but I think seven or maybe eight out of ten."

"So by the end of practice you were making 8 out of ten free throws! That would make you the best free throw shooter on some college teams. Penny, how about you, after I picked on you?"

"I made four in a row once, and seven out of my last ten I think."

"How were you able to make a shot with your eyes closed?"

"I don't really know, I just did it."

"Your muscles can remember things that they do over and over. That's why you do it the same way every time. OH and one thing. If you make the free throw, great. But if you miss it, that's just the way it goes. We'll learn and make the next shot better, like Penny did on her shots, like all of you did. Dribble, dribble, look up, elbow under, and shoot. Reach out and grab the rim.

"Okay. Next practice we'll start keeping track of these statistics. It'll be fun.

"We have our first game tomorrow. We'll be in our white home uniforms. Here after school. Questions? Okay, everybody put a hand in. 1, 2, 3, then you say Sky Grey; 1, 2, 3, SKY GREY."

I called Penny over as the kids were milling, getting their stuff together, and meeting up with parents.

"Heh, Penny!"

"Yeah, Uncle Serge?"

"Feeling better about the free throws?"

"Yeah, much. I'll do it. Two dribbles, look up, elbow under, grab the rim."

"And if you miss, no worry and do it again better the next time. It works, and no bad if you miss."

Joan got her then, and she and I spoke a few words and I headed over to find Colleen, who was looking to find me. Renée was with her.

"Colleen, could I take you two to supper and then have a few minutes of your time alone or at least in private."

"Of course. Okay with you, Ren?" Colleen responded.

"Sure, Mom."

So Colleen drove us to Murray's and we had a good sandwich each and Renée talked a lot more than I'd ever heard. She was very pleased with the free throws; I had my fingers crossed it would work well in our first game tomorrow just to reinforce the principles. Renée was delightful, talking about Penny's crush on a boy, about her excitement for the game, and her idea that maybe she'd be a doctor someday. Apparently she hadn't had but one or two Bs in years, except for a C once. She talked about being the only girl on the boys' summer baseball team; she was holding her own, they moved her to second base and only used her to pitch occasionally. She thought the boys were bigger now and more powerful, but she was still able to hit and field as well but she was not a big girl. Wonderful.

The ladies went to the ladies room as we were heading out. I waited in the store. Colleen came back first.

"You are right to protect her. She's terrific." I hope she saw how impressed I was.

"Thanks, Serge. Now what is this all about?"

"There is a situation regarding my ex-wife. She contacted me Saturday and, well, it was disturbing. I have a recording I need you to hear and an email I want you to read," I said.

"Serge, if this is private..."

"No, I think it's tragic, I don't know. It is definitely baggage, my baggage. I don't want Renée to know there's a problem. I'll go with you to your home?"

"We'll drop you at your car and then you can follow us home."

A minute later, Renée returned.

At their home, we talked and discussed news. Renée showered and went to bed around 9. I had brought my laptop in. We sat on the couch beside each other, and I played the phone message first, keeping the volume low.

"Oh my God, she's having sex..." Colleen said, surprised. As it finished, she said, "Is that the way she was?"

"Not at all. She was retiring and shy, she would not have used that language with me in private. I played this for Joan, and she was astounded. Carol is...was...a classy, gentle person. Let me show you the email, which is similar." I pulled it up to the screen, and Colleen was again surprised.

"I called her after calling her parents. They told me they do not like her new husband. Skip Lawrence is his name. He's a lawyer in the same firm in New York. They think she's been using cocaine. When I talked to her, she did not remember contacting me, and she wondered why I was calling. I played the recording for her and she was shocked, said Skip had done something to her, and then hung up crying. She refused any more calls; I left a message and called her parents to let them know what she'd said. They're good people up in Columbus. Oh, they didn't know about the wedding ahead of time either."

Colleen was holding my left arm, her cheek on my shoulder.

"This is not my problem," I said. "Anyway, I think Skip was into some power thing, gave her some date rape drug or something, and wanted to show his power by contacting me while having sex with her." I paused. I liked this cuddling stuff. I needed to arrange more of it.

I looked at her and she offered her lips, so I kissed her, tenderly. I had a grip on her left arm with my right hand. It was not the first time we had kissed, but this was not an ending to the night. It was not a goodnight kiss.

"I'm falling in love," I said.

Her lips were right next to mine, an inch away, and she said, "Good. I don't like falling alone."

We kissed again, and again. We heard movement down the hall, and Renée's door opened. She came down and looked at me with my arm held tightly by her mom, and me obviously cuddling up with her. Renée said, "Don't mind me. I forgot to do some homework and it's in my bookbag." She walked on by.

Colleen smiled and said, "I'll talk to her tomorrow. I don't move fast, she's too important."

"I should go. I'll see you at the game?"

"Of course." We kissed again, softly.

Renée, seeing us, said, "Jeez, get a room!" We laughed and got off the couch.

I was home by 10:40, with a wonderful lump in my chest. But it was a long drive.

*

Our first game was against She Who Shines Junior High, a public school from the next county. The school was named for a Miami woman who was one of the founders of Sky Grey, who had saved a blockhouse full of people by some heroic act in the eighteenth century.

I decided that if we did not have one, we needed a captain. I thought it would be good to have two captains, so all the kids would get to be at the referee conference before a game several times. We did not expect Shines to arrive before 4 because they did not get out of class until 3:30. My kids were dressed and on the bench at 3:15. I called them together.

"I need two girls to help me. They'll be the captains today. After today's game I'll make a schedule and you will be able to see when you are a captain. One of these girls will meet the other team and show them to their locker room, help them in any way their coach needs. The other girl will make sure our scorekeeper is here and has the roster, the book is filled out, balls are out, that sort of thing. Okay. I picked for today Bobbi and Chrissy. If you two would come with me a minute."

I sent Bobbi to await the Shines bus by the front door, with orders to come get me when they arrived. Chrissy was to find Billy Watson, who was hired to be the home scorekeeper and I was assured had done this for all of last year. I wanted him at the desk by 4, the game starting at 4:30. The timekeeper was a teacher who supposedly knew what she was doing.

Shines arrived about ten minutes before 4. Bobbi met the bus outside, wearing her coat because it was almost freezing on this early November day. I watched her. The bus stopped and the opposing coach got off. Bobbi said, "Hi. I'm Bobbi, one of the Lincoln captains. I'll take you to your locker room. If you need any help, let me know." The coach thanked her, and instructed the girls to follow. They entered the gym. Bobbi said, "We have fountains in the gym at the end of the court, and they work, and there is a closer restroom just outside it in the cafeteria. Okay. Follow me." And she led them in a long line to their locker room.

I met the Shines coach a few minutes before the game. We introduced ourselves and shook hands. He was a young guy, more nervous than I, I think. The officials introduced themselves and we all shook hands. One of them recognized me--I just shook my head a little and smiled. When they called for captains, my two were out there and everything went off without a hitch.

The stands were filled. I had expected some fans, mainly parents, but there were a lot of others there, too. I assumed they were students.

The game was a blast. We started off with Renée jumping with a taller Shines kid. We played our 1-3-1 half court trap in all corners and the Shines point guard didn't have a chance. Penny and Chrissy trapped her and she stepped back across half court. Next possession she got rid of the ball toward her center, but Renée was quick and intercepted. Next they tried the other side of the court and Penny knocked the dribble away. In about a minute and a half we had 12 points and they had barely crossed half court. I put our girls in a man-to-man defense and Penny was all over that kid, even if she was four inches shorter. She ran around her and stole a dribble and was fouled as she went up for the breakaway layup which she missed. Two shots.

Penny headed to the line. She already had six points. I looked at her and she at me, and I grinned. I mimicked, dribble, dribble, elbow under, look up and shoot. She did it. And again. I called timeout, subbed in some kids, smiled and laughed with the girls. It was 16 zip.

Renée was fouled in the second quarter. She made the first free throw but missed a second. Mary Ann was fouled on a layup she made, and she made the throw, and success followed success. Overall, the dribble dribble method raised our percentage to 69% for this game. I don't know what it was before.

Shines scored by the guard passing before Penny picked her up. One on one they were okay; the forward Bobbi had was very good, so Bobbi needed some help side assistance, but Bobbi started denying her the ball better and the kid got frustrated. By halftime, it was 22-5. We played the second half trying all our defenses; we ran some of the offensive plays but we were stealing so many balls we rarely set up for offence. Everyone got lots of playing time. Penny and Renée were happy watching the fourth quarter from the bench with Bobbi and Chrissy rotating in and out with our other girls, and our team won 42-17. Penny had 14 points, Renée 12, and the rest were spread around with one of the second stringers having six.

I'd had no idea the team was good.

The game ended and I talked to the Shines coach. He said he appreciated the captain meeting the bus and he might institute that at his school. I said, "I think it lets everyone see the game for its real purpose and the opponents as people you might be friends with." He said, "I like that idea." After the girls shook hands, the Shines team headed into their locker room and I sent Bobbi to make sure they got to their bus okay fifteen minutes later. I saw her escort them back out of the gym then.

It was a peculiar feeling looking at the crowd during time outs and seeing encouraging smiles and pride on the faces of parents. Some of the Lincoln students even seemed proud. Joan and Art were there with Maddy joining them. She had a game to cheer at the high school later. Colleen was there and waved to me when I first saw her. She and Renée left as soon as I released the kids, having some appointment at their church later. I spoke to a few of the parents, wary that I'd get the playing time issues that plague teams, but in this game most girls played a little less than half because we were able to maintain a good lead. Winning isn't the main thing; trying to win is.

At practice on Wednesday I handed out schedules for captaincy and the girls seemed to see it as an honor, a special thing to greet the opponent. In front of everyone I asked Bobbi and Chrissy about their experience. Bobbi said, "It was kind of neat. When we got to their locker room they asked me about the school and whether it was safe to leave things in the locker room, so I explained the assistant AD would lock the door when they left and open it again at halftime--he'd be at the game. I said I'd make sure they got in their room--was that okay Mr. Serge?"

"Perfect. So at halftime when we head to our room, the captain should be available to the opponent for a minute to be sure everything is okay. You don't have to talk to them, just make sure they get in the locker room. At home games. Try to see where the assistant AD or AD is so you can find him or her. Sounds good."

"Oh, after the game, I went to make sure everything was okay, but I didn't go in because I thought they could be upset. I walked out to their bus behind them, and waved to them when they pulled out, and some of them waved back. One stuck her tongue out."

"Very good, Bobbi. Anything you say if you win might make them feel bad. Don't go in their locker room. Just seeing you in there might make them feel bad. You did great."

Chrissy then said, "I met the refs and took them to the assistant AD. Their locker room is always locked, so he took care of them then."

I asked, "How'd you know they were officials?"

"One had a big duffel bag and the other was already dressed in stripes and a black jacket on top. Oh, I didn't really have much to do. Billy was on time and knows more about scorekeeping than me, and Mrs. Lathers knows the clock. But she won't be here every game. Coach, you know we need a scorekeeper for away games?"

"I didn't think about that. Who do you usually get?"

Penny spoke up. "My mom has done it but she can't be at every game."

"And mine has done it," Renée said, "But she won't be at every game, either."

"Okay, any other parent know how to keep score?" I asked.

The kids didn't answer. "Well, I'll think of someone, maybe game by game."

Then we talked basketball.

"I was so pleased with your defense! You gals can really trap. Mary Ann, you were anticipating throws and getting in the throwing lanes. Penny, you were all over that guard, and Bobbi and Chrissy and all of you were great. I really liked the hustle. And free throws! I don't know what you shot last year, but as a team yesterday we shot 13 and made 9, almost 70%. When you practice, always do it the same way as you will in the state finals, so if you ever have the game on the line and the crowd yelling, you know exactly what to do. Now I am going to give you a what if. What if the ref tosses you the ball for a free throw, and right as you are about to shoot, someone distracts you? Like a player moves too much and you are interrupted in your rhythm?"

Vonda said, "Yeah, I think the rhythm is why it works."

I said, "I think you're right."

Renée: "How long do you have before you have to shoot?"

"Ten seconds," I said.

Penny: "Even with our dribbling, we only used about three or four seconds."

"True and good!" I said, "Actually you are using about three seconds from catching the ball. So if you are distracted, ignore it, and start the dribble dribble over. And...I have watched the officials. They count slowly on free throws. So we'll time ourselves on our practice throws today, just to keep track."

So after this 20 minute talk we finally got on the court.

After practice, Colleen came by to talk to me. Renée and Penny and Mary Ann were getting their stuff together to go home. "Serge, you want to go out for supper after the game tomorrow? We're taking Penny with us because Joan has a meeting, then we'll drop her at home."

1...45678...14