Caught in the Middle Ch. 04

Story Info
Maya makes a difficult decision.
9.3k words
4.65
12.6k
6

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 10/30/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

To any readers who have followed my story, I sincerely apologize for such a long absence. Editing this particular chapter was difficult, and I must admit that I'm still not satisfied with it. However, I feel that submitting it now, as is, is necessary for me to be able to continue writing, editing, and submitting the other chapters.

I have many (more interesting) chapters written, so please look forward to them!

*********************************************

As Maya ran through corridor after corridor, she began to believe that she had gotten lost in a giant labyrinth rather than a castle. Eventually, she slowed her pace and lowered her head as more emotions demanded release. She couldn't help it. Despite knowing that crying wouldn't solve anything, it did make her feel a little better. She continued on like that for a while until she felt her body hit a hard surface.

Feeling a strong pair of hands reach out to steady her, she looked up, only to come face to face with an unfamiliar, yet handsome, stranger.

"Oh, it's you. You should really pay more attention to where you're going," he kindly advised.

Maya could only respond by staring at him with a blank expression. She was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the fact that so many people knew who she was, without her knowing about anyone else. Everyone was clearly in on this whole "Source" business, and the idea of them knowing more about her than she did led to her feeling isolated.

"Do you not remember me?" he feigned a melodramatic look of insult, "Well, I suppose I can't blame you," he laughed nervously.

"What?"

"Cedric Gillian, at your service," he said with an exaggerated bow.

Maya actually found herself wanting to laugh, but she stayed composed. "I'm Maya. We haven't met before, have we?"

"Well I did bring you back here, clean you up, dress your wound, and clothe your body. However, considering you were unconscious the whole time, I'm willing to forgive you just this once," he teased playfully.

Then it clicked. Maya realized that this was the same Cedric that Richard and his father had been talking about, meaning the same one who had supposedly examined her body while she was unconscious.

"You!" she backed away from him, subconsciously covering her clothed body with her hands. "Y-you mean you saw me naked?" she asked nervously, hoping that maybe there was some sort of misunderstanding.

"I couldn't leave you in the condition you were in, could I? You have nothing to worry about. I take my duties as a physician very seriously."

"You're a doctor? But you said you're the one who brought me here."

"I am willing to go to battle when needed. Not to mention I owed Richard a favor," he shrugged.

Even though Maya was definitely pissed at the thought of this man viewing her naked body, especially while she was unconscious, he seemed to be the most genuine person she'd met so far. Everyone seemed to be constantly scheming something, but Cedric gave off a very easy going vibe.

"Here," he said, holding out a handkerchief, "It's not my place to pry and guess what has you upset, but if you have some time to spare, I do know of somewhere that is guaranteed to make you feel better." Without waiting for her to agree, he grabbed Maya's hand and ran off, dragging her behind him.

Maya decided to go with the flow, and let herself be whisked away by the strange man. She figured she needed a distraction, anything to get her mind off of the little exchange she'd had with Richard, and Cedric appeared to be the perfect man for the job.

It wasn't too long until they reached a small wooden door, one that seemed out of place compared to the grandeur of everything else in the palace. When Cedric opened it, Maya was greeted with the sight of a massive, immaculate garden.

"What do you think? Coming here always helps me clear my mind...I thought it might do the same for you," he explained.

"It's incredible," Maya said in awe. She walked ahead of Cedric, onto the cobblestone path that led to the many displays and arrangements the garden had to offer. She'd always come across pictures of the impressive gardens belonging to European castles, but now she was convinced that there was no way a colorful piece of paper would be able to capture the grandeur of the landscape laid out before her.

Maya wandered around, letting her senses bask in the many sights and scents that surrounded her. Cedric was right, the fresh air and beautiful scenery definitely made her feel much better.

She turned around when she felt him tap on her shoulder. "For you," he held out a beautiful, blossoming pink peony. "Though it is not nearly as lovely as you are, I have always thought peonies were the most beautiful flower." Maya, embarrassed by the gesture, hesitantly took the flower.

"Thanks," she said in a barely audible whisper.

"It suits you."

"Pardon?"

"The innocent pink of your cheeks, the bashful way you're averting your eyes and biting your lip," he lightly took her chin, urging her to look up at him. "You're like a little peony that has yet to fully blossom."

Maya was taken aback by the comment, stuttering to find a decent way to respond. She felt a warm finger reassuringly placed on her lips.

"It looks like you're feeling better," he winked. "I suppose that means my job here is done," he took her hand, and marked it with a quick, gentle kiss. "Until we meet again, my little peony."

Maya watched as he turned his back on her and returned to the castle. She stood there, dumbfounded at what had just happened. He was just trying to make me feel better, that's all there is to it, she told herself, staring down at the flower in her hands. Still, regardless of the meaning behind his actions, she struggled to calm her rapidly beating heart.

Looking around her, she decided it might not be a bad idea to explore the rest of the garden. She turned to continue down the pathway, only to jump in surprise as she found herself facing Sir Aldred.

"The whole castle is looking for you, you know." He stated calmly.

"I-I'm so sorry. It's just that-,"

"If you don't mind, I'd like for you to come with me for a bit." Aldred turned away from her and began walking deeper into the garden. Maya took once last glance back at the direction Cedric went before nervously following suit.

"Um, sir, I thought you said people were looking for me?"

"It won't do any harm to have them looking for a bit longer." This answer shocked Maya, but she held her tongue.

"Maya, it seems as though you and Richard haven't been getting along."

"Well, I-I, uh, I..." she stuttered, not knowing how to explain what had happened, or where things had gone wrong. "I guess he's just not my type."

Aldred smirked, "Is that so? I suppose that is one way of putting it. But you are aware that you do not have to feel any attraction towards him to be married, aren't you?"

Maya fought to keep from rolling her eyes. "I heard the same thing from Richard...multiple times. But that's not something I can accept. Where I'm from, most people marry for love. Sure, there are other things to take in to consideration, but how you feel about your partner typically comes first. And, I'm sorry if this is out of line, but I feel like you're the last person who should be lecturing me on marriage without love."

Aldred was slightly taken aback by Maya's frankness, but he lightened up and began laughing. He continued walking until they arrived at a gazebo. When they entered, Maya took a seat across from Aldred, and waited silently to be lectured and reprimanded for her behavior.

"You know, you remind me very much of my late wife, Rosa." The kind words took Maya by surprise, but she let him continue. "There are a few things that every Source has in common. They are always from the past or future, never our present. They are always virgins. Always young women, women who are entering the prime of their life. However, there are just as many, if not more, differences between each Source. Each woman comes from a different social status, ancestry, country of origin...of course, you're probably the most extreme case so far." Maya almost felt the need to apologize, as though she were making their lives more complicated. She stayed quiet.

"Rosa was from a wealthy family, and at the time of her arrival here, she was engaged to man of equal status and wealth. Although, truthfully, she was overjoyed to not have to go through with it. However being immediately told that she would have to marry my brother did not go too well, either."

"But she was fine with marrying you?"

"It is not as though marrying her was ever my intention. I was going hunting when I happened upon her. She was lying unconscious on the forest floor, and it would have been unforgivable to just leave her. I took her back with me and we discovered that she was the next Source. It had been two years since the Source before her passed away. She was told the same thing you were, and refused in a manner similar to the way you did. They gave her time to think about it, but she never changed her mind. Since the whole situation was none of my concern, I never felt the need to personally pressure her. As a result she began to see me as a confidant.

"We became closer over time, and one day she told me that she would act as the Source if she could be wed to me, as opposed to my brother. The King and my brother were both furious, and refused her request."

"How'd they come around?"

"Rosa locked herself in her room and said she would starve herself until they changed their minds, but the King and my brother stood by their decision, thinking she would give in eventually," he lightly chuckled, "she was so stubborn. Eventually I took it upon myself to intervene on her behalf. The King and my brother finally agreed to our union."

Maya quietly pondered what she'd just been told. "Please do not try what she did," Aldred said, as though he could read her thoughts.

"But if she got to choose, why shouldn't I?" Maya protested.

"She put her health at great risk during that time, and considering that the state of this country is different now than it was then, we definitely cannot risk that with you. Not to mention the fact that she still became a member of the royal family. There's a reason the current King and Queen took the risk of only having one heir."

"But I'm pretty sure Richard feels the same way as I do about all of this. Why should we both be forced into getting married?"

"You've just met! Surely, if you both try, you could learn to support each other, at the very least."

"I highly doubt it," Maya muttered bitterly. In response, Aldred gave a hearty laugh.

"He is still young, just a year older than you, in fact. His heart is still vulnerable, but he has always taken his duties seriously, probably too seriously for his own good." He smiled at Maya, "Maybe you can change him. Having someone to simply care for him, as a person rather than a prince, would do a great deal of good for that boy. Regardless of what he has said or done up until now, he has spent his whole life waiting for you. You cannot begin to imagine how much he cherishes you. Even as a young boy, he would run around the castle asking about when he would get to meet his wife, and he would tell everyone how pretty she was going to be, and how much he would love her."

"I must be a disappointment then," Maya said, letting her lack of self-confidence get the best of her.

"Not at all! In fact, between you and me, I think you might just be the loveliest Source yet." Maya didn't know if he was joking or being serious, but the comment put a smile on her face, nonetheless.

"You do not believe me, do you? You have such a refreshing appearance. You are so full of expression, a natural beauty."

"Thank you, Sir," Maya said as modestly as possible.

"It is my sincere wish that you never think of yourself as not good enough to be Richard's wife. He needs someone like you in his life, Maya. While your first impression of each other might not have been the best, I truly hope that you reconsider marrying him, and serving this kingdom as the Source."

Maya bit her lip, thinking of how to respond. There were so many things she wanted to say, so many things she wanted to ask.

"A-alright," she said, still completely unsure if she'd actually be able to go through with it. "I can't make any promises, but I'll try."

"That is all I ask," he said, smiling at her sympathetically. Aldred stood up and started to walk away. "Come, we should go back and look for Richard."

"Right," Maya followed him out of the gazebo and back towards the castle. "But Sir? I have one question."

"Go on."

Maya blushed, "well, there was a lot of crazy talk about weird powers and how I'm supposed to get them, but none of that is seriously true, right?"

"Hm? Judging by your reaction, it would seem as though he told you exactly what you needed to know. But the two of you are attractive and young, I doubt you should have any problems," he stated frankly. Maya wanted nothing more than to dig a hole and die in it. "The morning after your wedding, we will begin your training, and teach how to properly use and control your abilities."

Maya internally cringed. She hated the idea of everyone knowing when she lost her virginity. She couldn't think of a more embarrassing situation to be in. At this point, she didn't believe that she'd ever be able to come to terms with anything she'd been told. The longer she was there, and the more information she received, the more confident she was that none of it was real. Maybe I need to stay out of the fantasy section at the library, and cut back on cheesy medieval films. She became lost in thought and, before she knew it, they were back at the castle.

"You can take some time to look around the castle and find Richard. I have some matters to discuss with the King," Aldred said before leaving Maya on her own. She stood at the door, not knowing where to start. 'Look around the castle' he says. This place is a freakin' maze. I don't even remember where the library is, she thought as she contemplated which way to go.

"There you are!"

Maya saw Richard's masculine form running towards her, and let out a relieved sigh. "I ran into Cedric a little while ago. He told me that he left you in the garden. I was worried that you would be gone by now."

"I was out there talking with your uncle."

"I see. So, um, are you feeling better?" his eyes shifted around nervously, as he was unsure if that was the question he should be asking.

She nodded, "I am."

An awkward silence settled over the two, as neither one knew quite how to recover from their previous encounters.

Maya felt her face heating up and glanced to her right, not wanting to make eye contact with Richard. "Uh, so, listen," she began, doing her best to set her pride aside for the time being, "I'm really sorry about earlier. Actually, not just about what happened earlier, but also for how I've acted since coming here. It's just been really difficult trying to get adjusted to this place, and it's kinda hard to know who I can and can't trust. But what you told me earlier was true; if you really wanted to take advantage of me, I'm sure you would've days ago. I was being really stubborn, and it was wrong of me to take my frustrations out on you."

A brief look of surprise adorned his face before Richard regained his cool composure. "You should stop apologizing so much. It was completely out of line for me to call you an obnoxious shrew. I was embarrassingly insensitive to your situation." He took a few steps towards her, closing the distance between them.

"It was never my intention to imply that I was only after your body and your powers. I want to give you a good life here, and offer my support and protection as your husband. I do not wish to force anything upon you, but I do hope that you will consider what we discussed earlier."

Maya searched his icy blue eyes and recalled what Aldred said about Richard waiting his whole life to meet her, and about trying to love him. If she was honest with herself, she knew there was no way she'd be comfortable giving her virginity to someone she didn't care about, and seeing as her options were extremely limited in this matter, she nodded. "I understand. But to be honest, it might take a while for me to come to terms with all this. I wouldn't mind caring for you as a friend, but," she bit her lip, searching for the right words, "I don't know if I can live up to your expectations, but I'll try."

He placed his hands on her shoulders, and gently kissed the top of her head. "I'm so relieved to hear that. You have nothing to worry about, Maya. I will guide you to the best of my abilities. I am truly grateful to you. If there is ever anything you need, anything you wish to speak with me about, or if you have any doubts about something, do not hesitate to let me know." Maya nodded again, overwhelmed by his complete change in attitude.

"I suppose we should get you fed and properly clothed," he suggested, "you must be starving."

She looked down at the gown she'd been wearing, then looked back up at Richard. "I think that sounds like a pretty good idea," she said, flashing him a genuine smile for the first time. Her simple expression of happiness caught him off guard. She's so beautiful, he found himself thinking. I have to do my best to make sure she's happy here, to make sure she's always smiling like that. Despite wanting this, however, his chest grew tight thinking about the hardships she would have to endure. He would, of course, do everything for her that he said he would, but there were going to be obstacles that she would have to overcome by herself, and he prayed that she would be strong enough to make it out okay when the time came.

"Uh, Richard?"

"Yes?" he snapped out of his thoughts. It wasn't until she called out to him that he had realized she already went ahead, and had reached the end of the hall.

"Are you okay? You looked kinda spaced out."

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," he reassured her, without knowing exactly what looking 'spaced out' meant.

"Which way do we go?"

"Oh, just follow me." He caught up to her and took the lead.

After walking around for about ten minutes, with Maya becoming more confident that she would never be able to find her way around the castle alone, they stopped in front of what Maya recognized to be her bedroom door. Richard knocked twice before opening the door and gesturing for Maya to go in.

The first thing that caught her eye was the wooden tub in the corner of the room. Next, she was drawn to an elderly woman at her bed, laying out an array of fabrics and garments. "I'll be in my study. Come find me when you're done here," he instructed Maya. "I'll leave you to it then," was all he said to the woman before closing the door behind him.

"Would you mind removing your clothes? We'll get you cleaned up and then I'll have to take a few measurements," the woman kindly requested.

"Excuse me?"

The woman paid her no mind and went to remove the night gown herself. "No need to worry, dearie. A pretty youth like yourself has nothing to be ashamed of."

Maya closed her eyes and resigned herself to her fate. Several hours later, she was cleaned up and outfitted in a new violet dress that brought out her dark eyes and hair. Her wardrobe was fully stocked with night gowns, petticoats, corsets, stockings, and other articles of clothing. The woman explained to Maya that she would be brought brand new dresses in a week, but for now she could make do with the ones they had on hand.

She sat in front of the vanity, hair braided and fresh faced. After much arguing, Maya had finally been able to convince the woman to allow her to forgo makeup, save for a little bit of rouge on her lips and cheeks. While pale skin was the trend, and Maya's skin was anything but, she'd read about all sorts of toxic substances that were used in medieval makeup, and she wasn't taking chances.