Chocolate

Story Info
Arianna finally sees hope.
2.8k words
4.42
16.2k
11

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/22/2022
Created 03/12/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is my first story here on this site and I'm hoping not my last :) I've always wanted to write stories but I could never force them out, and now all of a sudden I just felt like writing. So I did and this is what came..... I have no idea whatsoever where this story will take me but I hope whoever reads it will be along with me on the ride. It's very scary letting other people read what comes from my mind, I fear the criticism but then again I want as much as I can get so I can improve! If you think I should keep continuing this PLEASE comment and fav! It would mean so, so much to me. I hope you enjoy what little I've written so far. –HayloKitteh

~~~~

I looked up at the white house. Never in my life had I had the luxury of living in such a place. The two story cottage may look like a normal house to anyone else, but to me it was like a sanctuary. I treasured every minute I got to spend in it. My favorite part was the porch that wrapped around the whole bottom floor. It was completely covered in beautiful potted flowers and herbs, only making the house more inviting with its intoxicating aroma. I could imagine myself as a child playing with the antique doll houses that were scattered throughout. Running about with other children from the neighborhood on the front lawn...

The smell of white chocolate macadamia nut cookies snapped me back to reality. Every time I came to visit Annabelle I found myself standing outside staring at the beauty of the house. I absentmindedly threw the thought of ever living in such a house out of my mind and made my way up the mossy stone pathway to the front porch stairs. The first step creaked, like always, and I knew Annabelle would hear it as she does every time. I stopped after the last step and took one long wift of the cookies before the door was opened in front of me.

"Oh Honey! Why do you always stay outside in the cold so long when you visit me?" Annabelle let out in one exhausted breath. She was a fairly tall woman for her age of 73, but then again everything else about her was anything but normal. Her shoulder length straight hair had the oddest pink hue to it, even though pictures from her past show she was a brunette. Her eyes, the color of the brightest lavender, shined brighter than any eyes I had ever seen. She gestured for me to come inside, "Come on, I made your favorite cookies and I know you're hungry."

She was right about that, I haven't eaten since yesterday morning when the maid at my hotel let me have the leftovers from someone elses room. It's been so long since I was able to not worry about what my next meal would be. Now I just take whatever I can get, even if I don't like it I know it may be the last thing i eat for a couple days. I only get to visit Annabelle once a month and when I do I know I'm going to be fed well.

I felt my mouth curve into a small smile. The thought that someone actually cared about me would never really settle right with my mind but the few times that it did it made me feel unimaginably happy. I didn't think Annabelle would want me to break down and start weeping in front of her so I withheld my emotions and followed her to the kitchen.

As soon as you enter her house there is a staircase and a long hallway to the left of it that led to the kitchen at the end. I glanced at the the many photos and memorabilia that cluttered the walls and tables as I always did. I hoped that one day I could be in those photos, not just in her house but in my own house with my own family.

I sighed, "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so rude but I just get so lost in my thoughts sometimes."

We reached the kitchen and she put a pair of oven mitts on and opened the oven, pulling out a dish with mini quiches in it and a dish with the cookies. My mouth started watering ravenously, watching her set them on the island. I looked over at the kitchen table to a basket full of the freshest looking fruits. Apples, tangerines, peaches and pears, all of which I love.

"Go on, dig in sweety. I went to the store earlier this morning just to pick those out for you." I turned back to look at her, she had the widest grin on her face.

I smiled back, "Thank you Annabelle, I know I say this everytime but I don't know what I'd do without you here." The smell of the quiches were teasing my nose, so I reached over grabbing one and popping it into my mouth. It tasted like pure heaven and the warmth did wonders to my trembling body.

A steaming cup of hot cocoa was pushed in front of me on the counter. "Oh yes! I almost forgot the sandwiches!" She ran, as fast as she could for an old woman, towards the refrigerator yanking the door open revealing what looked like the fridge of a farmer. It was full of eggs, different cheeses and every fruit or vegetable I could think of. My mind wandered off with all of the many things I could make with it all. I used to love cooking, especially when it came to dessert I was always the one making it. Every person who tried my food loved it, so much that with each bite the slightest moan would escape their lips. Thinking about how life used to be brought an overwhelming wave of sadness over me. I knew things would probably never go back to the way they were, but I couldn't help but hope.

"Why such a sad face sweety? You know frowning is not very good for you beautiful face. You should keep smiling it lightens up your face. Unless you want to look like an old witch like me." She chuckled at her own words and handed me a little triangle sandwich. "Go sit down, please you're driving me insane standing there."

The chair felt warm compared to how cold I was from just being outside. I took my bag from across my shoulders and laid it on the chair next to me then reached for an apple. Annabelle raised her hand to wiggle her wrinkly little finger at me. "Ah! Eat the non-sweet stuff first honey while it's still hot." She always treated me this way, as if I were her 10 year old daughter, but I kind of liked it. She was like a mother to me in a way.

I stuffed the food little by little into my mouth trying to savor every flavor but finding it hard with my stomach growling at me to eat faster. Annabelle sat across the table staring at me smiling while stirring her coffee. I knew I probably looked like a total slob but i didn't care, especially around her. She knew what I went through and she saw this side of me once every month. I only tried my best not to make a complete mess of her table.

"How has the hotel been treating you?" she asked staring down at her crossed hands on the table.

"Great! The maids are really nice to me. One of them, Alicia, she sneaks me the leftovers from this rich couple down the hall. I don't know why but they've been staying there for about a month now." I said excitedly with a mouth full of food.

"What exactly do you do for fun anyways?" I chewed a little slower and looked up at her curious face. She's never been so curious to find out much of what I do. I figured she was just being polite so it never really bothered me. But it seemed like she was getting to something.

I swallowed a mouthful before answering her question, "Well, I usually go to the library in town and spend most of my days reading. I've always loved the feel of a library. Plus they serve free coffee! That's always great." Why was I talking so much? I always try to keep my responses short with anyone. She just shook her head and muttered what sounded like a "Mhmm" so i kept eating.

I ate all of the quiches, cookies and sandwiches while the silence lingered on between us for a few more minutes. I was reaching for the apple I had earlier when she spoke again.

"I was wondering, Arianna, if you would like to stay with me for a couple of weeks?" I froze. Had she really just asked me that? I never in a million years expected her to say that. She always told me I couldn't stay with her because of her husband. He was a grumpy old man who sat around and chain smoked his days away. He was the one who said I wasn't allowed to live with them. For what reason, I don't know. However, it was always made clear by the way he'd grip the arm of his recliner and by the tone of his voice that he had a deep hatred for me. I just assumed Annabelle didn't want to upset her husband so I never pondered on the idea of her ever coming around and letting me stay here.

I looked up searching her face for any emotion, but all I got back was a blank stare. "But...I..."

"Don't worry about Eugene. He has been in the hospital for 2 weeks now. The doctor says hes got cancer." She let out a long sigh, "I knew the day would come that all of the smoking he does would come back and smack him in the face, but it still was a surprise when we found out." She glanced back at her hands forming her lips into a slight frown.

"I....I'm sorry Annabelle. If I had known I..."

"No, no, no. No excuses. None of this had anything to do with you. Eugene was always a rotten old man to you, he doesn't deserve any type of sincerity from you." Her eyes widened and for the first time I noticed the dark circles surrounding them. Why hadn't I seen them earlier? "I know that hotel has to be a cold place to sleep, honey. I would very, very much like it if you would stay here with me while Eugene is in the hospital. I know he may not make it back home but even if he does I want you here in the safety of my house at least until he gets better." I could tell she knew as well is i did that he wouldn't be coming back home.

For the last year, ever since I first met Annabelle, she paid for me to stay in the hotel that i live in. She said it was the least she could do since her husband didn't want me at their house. It was hard to accept someone else paying so much for me but I had no other choice at the time. So I took it and I am glad that I did. Annabelle has lit up my world, even if only for once a month while her husband was off on fishing trips. Now that the love of her life was in the hospital, I knew that she would be lonely in her big house. Mostly I longed for this to be my house also.

I smiled widely up at her, "Of course I will stay with you. I appreciate everything you do for me and one day I will pay you back for everything."

"Oh nonsense! From now on what's mine is yours! Don't you dare even try and pay me back, I won't accept it." She got up shaking her head, "Now follow me, I put together the old guest room for you. I hope you like it!" She pranced towards the stairs like a teenage girl who just had their first kiss, as if I even knew.

I giggled to myself and got up prancing after her and up the dimly lit stairwell.

The room was absolutely amazing. The walls were an off-white with little pink flowers and the canopy drapes of the queen sized bed matched the flowers perfectly. There was an adjoining bathroom to the left of the room and to the right a closet that could fit a small car in it. Annabelle left me alone to settle in, telling me she'd deal with cancelling the hotel room. I'd have to go get the rest of my things tomorrow, but for tonight she wouldn't let me go back out. She also said I could wear any of the clothes I found in the closet, which turned out to be quite a lot. I made my way to one of the large windows that were on either side of the huge bed and sat in its window seat. The sun was just dropping behind the tall trees in the distance casting an eerie yet beautiful glow throughout my new room.

I sighed, hoping with all of the hope I had left in me that maybe, just maybe this would be the beginning of something good.

~~~~

Chocolate.

Chocolate and a million other sweet smells made their way to me when i reached the front gate of Mrs. Anne's house. The smells coursed through my blood and almost had me on my knees. I grabbed the fencing to hold myself up and kicked the gate open gently with my left foot. I tried putting the irresistible smell to the back of my mind but its sweetness stayed lingering around me. I leaned against the front door and knocked lightly enough so that Mrs. Anne could hear, then waited until i heard her heartbeat get louder and stood up straight.

When she opened the door it took everything I had to keep from running to the source of the smell. I felt myself swoon slightly. What the hell was wrong with me?

I could feel her heart speed up and her mood change from calm to worry, "Oh Nolan, dear. Are you okay?" She reached out and placed her hand on my shoulder. The warmth of her hand helped me come back to reality a bit.

"Yes, I'm fine," I tried giving her a smile but I knew it must have came out looking fake, "I must have just eaten something bad."

"Well you know I have just the tea to calm that stomach of yours. Come on in and I'll get your usual flowers and some tea." She started turning to walk away.

"No!.....I mean no thank you. Thank you for offering but I really must get back home." I couldn't stay around much longer before I lost all control. I hoped she'd let me go without questions. I gripped my stomach making it look more realistic.

"If you say so, honey. Let me just get your flowers." She walked away fast and returned shortly with a hand-weaved basket full of blood red flowers. I grabbed one quickly shoving it to my nose trying to breathe in its scent instead of the one that was slowly killing me. Mrs. Anne smiled and handed the basket over to me. "I hope you enjoy those sweety, I'll have another batch ready for you next week."

"Thank you so much." I grabbed the basket tightly and turned to make my way back home.

"Be careful! There are some crazy things that come out in the night. wouldn't want any of them to get ya!" She giggled loudly to herself and waved goodbye. If only she knew what was really out there. That I was one of those crazy things that come out at night. I wonder if she'd still be the nice old lady she is to me.

Chocolate invaded my senses again making me grasp the basket tighter. A cough from behind me made me turn my head.

She was sitting in the window directly above the front door staring down at me. She had the most beautiful hair the color of dark caramel. It flowed down the side of her face and down her back in long waves. Our eyes met each other, teasing one another making it hard to break away. She took in a sharp gasp and her shining hazel eyes looked away from my now glowing blue ones. She closed the curtain blocking her delicate face from my view.

A sudden feeling of loss encompassed me leaving me swooning yet again. I turned away still seeing luminous hazel flames and walked what seemed like the loneliest walked I've ever had back home.