Chords that Bind Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Please, no." She whispered afraid to set him off with another shout. She didn't know when she stared crying but one of them licked the tears off her cheek. Cecilia shook like a leaf. She closed her eyes and shook her head back and forth. This couldn't be happening again. She kicked and struggled unsteadily, but they pulled her along easily. She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and tried to reach for it, praying help was on the other end. Why hadn't she just called Clara when she left the club? She dragged her feet and reached into her pocket. The glow from the phone was obvious in the night, and one of them grabbed her wrist, peeled her fingers open and took her phone, tossing it away.

"You won't be needing that."

From the other direction a hand made a sharp connection with her cheek. At the backhand she cried out, disoriented by the impact.

"Shut up!" A hand came over her mouth and she had enough presence of mind to bite down on his fingers.

"Owww! The bitch bit me!" Another backhand, this time on the other cheek.

"Shut up Mitch! We got to get 'er back to the van. Yeh can do whatever yeh want with 'er when we get back."

"You're going to regret that, little slut. Wait 'til I have my way with you. You'll see. You won't try to bite me again after I'm done fucking you—"

Cecilia twisted and turned feeling the grip on her arms tighten. She gave up and screamed. "HELP! PLEASE HELP ME!"

"Dumb bitch! I told you not to—Argh!"

Cecilia fell over as she was pushed. She felt their grip on her release, and scraped her palms catching herself. "Get your hands off her!" She recognized the voice.

Abraham's fist connected with the jaw of one of her assailants. One of the others came behind him, but he moved faster than his size would have predicted. Abe threw a swift kick into the man's midsection. The last one was dealt a swift blow to the head by Abe's elbow. The man Abraham kicked was back up. He threw a punch. Abe blocked it, grunting. He pushed the man back into the wall of the alleyway. The other man might have a height advantage, but Abe was much burlier. He threw a few punches to the man's chest absorbing a looping punch to his shoulder. Amateur. Abe was well trained from his time in the army. He'd had enough of this nonsense. He threw the man against the wall again and knocked him out with a punch under the chin.

The fight only lasted a few moments, but for Cecilia it was a lifetime. She burst into fresh tears. Someone else came behind Abe, and Cecilia yelped, afraid it was another attacker. It wasn't though. The big black man wore a tweed overcoat and appeared to be familiar with Abe. Their conversation was clipped, as if the fight had been a slight interruption in a longer discussion. A policeman entered the alleyway, and started handcuffing the men who were starting to rouse.

"I didn't think I'd see you tonight, John."

"I didn't think you'd be doing my job for me, Abe."

"Neither did I, but I'm always happy to help. What's the story here?" Abe sounded as if he'd just finished a pleasant jog, nonplussed at fending off Cecilia's attackers.

"Been tailing this lot," he nodded in the direction of the apprehended assailants. We've been trying to connect them to a string of robberies and drug offenses. All the same, I'm glad you were here. We lost their trail for a bit . . ."

"Obviously."

"The real question is: what'reyoudoing here?"

"I was worried about Cecilia here."

"Is she—?"

Abe nodded.

"You know I have to ask her right?"

"I know. You know I'm staying with her, right?"

The black man smiled widely. "I'd expect nothing less." He slapped Abe on the back. Abe smiled too, and they reached to help Cecilia up from the ground. The other man was intense and intimidating. "Cecilia, this is DCI Martin—"

"Call me John," The man offered.

"Cecilia, he's a friend. You can trust him. He needs to ask a few questions."

DCI John Martin was always skating on thin ice. He and Abe felt the same way about justice: that the system was flawed and too many criminals were able to wriggle free. There was a desperation in him to help people and so he did what he could even though he felt it would never be enough. Abraham had run out of patience with police work, but John's stubbornness knew no bounds.

"Cecilia, do you know those men?"

"No. I've never seen them before in my life." She wiped tears out of her eyes. Abe had a firm hand on her shoulder.

"Okay. Do you know where they were taking you?" The detective inspector was writing down everything in a black notebook.

"N-n-no. They said something about a-a van. But I d-d-don't know." Cecilia was shaking.

"Did they say anything else?"

Cecilia lost her voice. Tears started again. She sobbed.

"Would it be easier if we took you back to the station?" John asked. He ignored the look of warning Abe gave him. Cecilia felt his hand squeeze her shoulder.

"Please no. I just want to go home." Her words were barely audible. "Please?"

"Cecilia, I know this is difficult, but I need to know."

"I- they—"

"CECILIA!" She jumped at the sound of her name. Sebastian ran onto the scene. No one could have been less welcome. He looked concerned and his words ran together. "What happened? I lost you. I am sorry for earlier. I did not know—"

"DCI John Martin," John pulled his badge out. "We're in the middle of an investigation." John cut him off. He didn't like the sound of this. Neither did Abe.

"What?! Cecilia, what happened?" Sebastian pressed the issue. Abe put himself between Cecilia and her date.

"I thinkyoubetter answer that question mate." The two men stared at him, silently demanding an answer.

Sebastian wilted visibly and then got defensive. "We were just dancing at the club. Cecilia and I had a misunderstanding, that's all."

Cecilia nodded. She couldn't possibly be more humiliated. She'd overreacted. If she'd just kept calm none of this would have happened.

"Please leave me alone." She was pleading with him. She couldn't have this conversation with him, let alone in front of an audience. Sebastian moved to get closer to her. Abe put his arm out and Cecilia shrank away.

"I'd think again about that if I were you, Sergio. You heard the lady."

Sebastian blanched, confused by all the developments. "Cecilia, do you want to file a complaint against this man?" John asked, being gentle with Cecilia and managing to threaten the Spaniard at the same time.

Cecilia paused. "No. This isn't his fault. It's mine."

"Cecilia? Are you sure?" John asked, "It sounds like-"

Sebastian looked at her imploringly. "Cecilia, we'll work it out, I just have to know what—"

"I can't. You don't understand. I can't see you. I'm not ready for this." Her eyes glazed over with more tears. "It's my fault," she reiterated.

"Cecilia, let me take you home. We can talk this through..."

"I'm afraid I can't allow that. She's a witness in an ongoing investigation. I need her statement." John didn't like this guy, and he could sense Cecilia's discomfort with him.

Sebastian shrugged. "Alright. I am leaving." He made to hug her goodbye so he could whisper more apologies, but Abe and John flanked her protectively. "Fine. I'll call you." Deflated, he left the alley and walked past the other police officers.

"I don't like it Abe. Who was that?"

"A different problem. Let's settle this one first."

John turned back to Cecilia. "Are you sure we can't take you to the station?

"I'm sure. I want to go home."

"Can't we do this tomorrow John?"

The detective shrugged. "I need to file this report, Abe."

They all knew Cecilia was at a breaking point. She didn't look like she could handle anything else tonight.

John saw her flagging. "Okay Abe. You win. I'll be at your house tomorrow morning."

"Fair enough."

***

Clara tried to wait up. She rang Cecilia's mobile after Abe decided to go looking for her, but it went to voicemail.

Abe felt uncomfortable with Cecilia's change in plans. He was probably over reacting, but he did promise James he'd look after her. Clara, too, was secretly relieved when Abe left to check on her. She knew the clubs Sebastian frequented and they were likely to be too much for Cecilia.

Clara had fallen asleep in the armchair. When the door closed, Clara woke, momentarily relieved to see Cecilia. Then she saw Cecilia's ruddy, tearstained face, and knew something was amiss.

Abe shook his head at Clara. Cecilia needed rest, and she was going to have to relive the whole night all over again when John came.

Clara almost ignored him. She went to say something, but Abe cut her off. "You'll want a shower and some rest Cecilia. John will be here in the morning." It already was morning, but he figured he'd leave that part off for now. Cecilia nodded and went upstairs. Abe turned to his wife.

"Clara. What do you know about that Sebastian bloke?" Clara wasn't expecting that question.

"He's a principal at the company. He's been there two years. He's from Catalan, in Spain, if I remember rightly. Why?"

"What's his reputation like?"

"He's a single, handsome, dancer... a bit of a heartbreaker, but nothing untoward. He likes to party more than some of the others... What's going on?"

"Cecilia was attacked tonight."

"What?"

"I don't have the full story. But, I found Cecilia in time to keep three tossers from stealing away with her in the night."

"How?"

"I don't know Clara. But you remember John Martin? He was following them. They're wanted in connection with a robbery. I'm not sure why she was out alone in the first place..."

Clara was bewildered. "I don't think—but I don't know... We can ask her."

"No. Let her get some sleep. She's safe. That's all that matters tonight."

Clara was unsure herself, but trusted Abe to know what was best.

***

Morning came too soon. Abe started shaking Cecilia awake. She groaned and turned over. Abe winced. She had a shiner on one cheek. One of the men who hit her clearly had been wearing a heavy ring.

"Cecilia. John is here. You need to get up."

She stirred, panicked at first, but relieved when she saw where she was. "Ssshhh... relax. You're safe. You're home with us. But John needs to talk to you."

Immediately, her thoughts rewound to the horror of last night. She was such a fool. She couldn't talk about it. Not with John. Not with anyone.

Abe needed her to cooperate. John was doing them all a favor by not making them go down to Scotland Yard. "Cecilia. You must listen to me." His voice was commanding and firm, the tone he usually reserved for dominating Clara. But right now he needed to reach beyond Cecilia's panic. "Get up, and get presentable. Clara's fixing John some tea, but we can't postpone this."

Cecilia nodded.

"Good. Hurry."

***

James woke up still half dressed in his concert attire. He hadn't had anything to change into last night, so he slept in his white undershirt and his black dress slacks. Mae emerged from the bathroom in a cloud of steam and a colorful silk robe. She smiled at his rumpled appearance. It wasn't often James appeared anything less than completely in control.

"Glad to see you're awake. How'd you sleep?"

"Better than if I'd slept on the couch in the lobby. Thank you, Mae."

"Think nothing of it. I'm having some tea sent up."

"Thank you again."

Mae smiled knowingly. There was a knock on the door announcing the arrival of their tea.

"You'll need to retrieve your belongings before check out," she said as she opened to door to allow the bellhop to bring in her traditional Japanese breakfast and green tea.

James grimaced as he poured himself a cup.

Mae persisted in James' silence. "You'll want to get it done and over with."

James swallowed the fragrant brew. "You're right of course."

Mae looked at him with a bemused expression. "Want to talk about it?" She picked up on his temperament so easily.

James looked around. "What's there to say?"

Mae started eating the steaming rice with her chopsticks. "What were you thinking James? Natasha Dubnikov?!" The way Mae said it made James realize the absurdity of the foolish relationship.

"I guess I hoped I could make it work."

"I didn't think you'd ever bother trying. She's been obvious about it for years, but I thought you were keeping her at arms length."

"I didn't notice for a long time. I guess it was a matter of timing."

Mae shook her head in pity. "Well, no one will fault you for trying. But it's just like Natasha to want something that she won't admit to wanting and then try to have it on her own terms."

James said nothing, but was impressed at how Mae read the situation.

"What will you do now? Will you be alright?"

"Well, at least we're done our performances. I'll just finish the tour as planned."

"That's not what I meant."

James put up a brave face. "I'm not broken-hearted over Natasha. I'm just back to my senses."

Mae didn't believe him. "You're broken-hearted aboutsomething, James."

James drained his tea. "I ought to see about getting my things."

"Alright. Our train to Osaka is at 1 o'clock." Mae was conscious about not pressing him. "Good luck."

James ventured up to the suite he'd been sharing with Natasha hoping she had already left.

He pushed the door open quietly. Natasha was packing up her things to get ready to take her flight back to Russia. She looked less immaculate than usual. It was clear she'd been crying.

Neither wanted to be the first to speak. James moved to grab his suitcase and start packing up when Natasha broke the awkward silence. "I thought you'd at least come back to sleep." James didn't respond. "Where did you go?"

"Let's not do this Natasha."

"Tell me! Where'd you go?"

"Natasha, it's not important. We're over. It's time we went our separate ways."

"You stayed with Mae, didn't you?" Her accusation was scornful.

"Yes," he responded evenly. James didn't anticipate the hurt in Natasha's watery eyes.

"I thought we could talk when you came back. Don't you want to?"

"It's not wise Natasha."

"What does she have that I don't?" She meant Mae.

"Tasha—it's not like that. It's not Mae. And it's not a contest—"

"What is it then? James, I love y—."

"No. You don't, Tasha. If you did, you wouldn't have to ask me what she has that you don't." He meant Cecilia. "You can't give me what I need."

Natasha's anger overwhelmed her hurt. "What else am I supposed togiveyou James?! What else is there? I showed the whole world! I committed to you! What more do you want?"

James felt his patience wearing thin. "I don't need vanity displays of affection Natasha. You give only on you terms, when it suits you."

"What'sthatsupposed to mean?"

"I want more than that Natasha. I don't expect you to understand. I'm finished with this."

"No one is going to give you more than I gave you! What you want is the impossible! You'll end up alone!"

"Then that's my affair." James finished packing his clothes and personal affects. He zipped his suitcase. "I'd hoped we'd still be able to part amicably," he said turning to her.

Natasha was at a complete loss. How could he stand there and be so calm about tossing her aside? She'd never been humiliated this way by a man. She reached her arm out and struck his face sharply. "Fuck you, James."

He absorbed the smarting blow after registering her violent outburst with some shock. Part of him was angry, but the other part was vindicated at her childish behavior. He exhaled silently. "Safe travels then, Natasha." He took his luggage and left. Natasha's sobs echoed down the hall. When James reached the elevator he heard her slam the door behind him.

***

Cecilia was wearing one of James' old rugby shirts when she came down. The bruise on her cheek looked painful, and Abe was kicking himself for not seeing to that last night. Some ice would have helped with the swelling.

John was sitting at the butcher-block island sipping at some earl gray. Cecilia saw her shattered phone on the island. John had retrieved it and brought it back for her. Clara, seeing Cecilia's face, bit her lip and then poured another cup. John spoke first. "Cecilia, if you want we can do this privately." He was aware of all the eyes on her. Abe shot him another look, but it was certainly within Cecilia's right to maintain her privacy.

"No. They can stay."

Abe exhaled. He promised James he'd keep Cecilia safe. He nearly broke his promise last night.

"Right," John's accent was so... London, but in a rough, powerful way, not genteel like some of the other Londoner's she'd met. "Cecilia, do you know where those men were taking you last night?"

"I told you. I don't know. They just said a van." John nodded. They found the van in question, complete with a duffle bag of cash, some cocaine, and zip ties.

"Do you know what they were planning?" This was the question she hadn't been able to answer last night.

She paled and didn't answer right away.

"Do you have any suspicions?"

She swallowed. Clara squeezed her hand. Taking strength from her friend's gesture, Cecilia whispered. "Yes."

"What are those suspicions?"

"Only sluts and whores find themselves in situations like yours."Her mother's voice played in her head.

"Cecilia? Cecilia?" He kept using her name, as if it would keep her grounded. She was grateful. She was starting to have flashbacks, of last night, of her initial kidnapping...

"Cecilia? Stay with me."

"They were going to take me—force me..." She barely choked out the whisper. She couldn't say the word. This was her second escape. She was so lucky and so stupid. This was all her fault.

The murderous look in John's eye told her he understood. Abe clenched his fists.

"Why do you think that?"

"One of them licked me. And when I called for help they—one of them had a knife—so I screamed. One covered my mouth but I bit him. After I bit him he hit me, but the others said he could... could do whatever he wanted with me when they got back—to wherever they were going. He- he said as much... said he'd I'd learn my lesson after he was done...f-f-fucking me." Cecilia hung her head as tears poured down her cheeks.

"Okay, Cecilia. Do you know if they were following you? How did you end up there?"

Her breath was ragged with suppressed sobs. "I don't think they followed me. I wandered that way after I left the dance club. I was looking for a cab. I was a bit lost. I took a turn and then they came out of the alley. Two in front of me, and one behind me."

Abe wanted to know why she'd been alone in the first place. "Do you need anything else John?"

"No. But is this where we can reach you if we have more questions? We may need you to come in and identify them for the record."

Cecilia nodded. Abe answered, "yes."

"Right. That's all for now then. Thank you for answering my questions. I'll see myself out."

"No, I'll follow you John." Abe had a question for the detective. Once they were in the foyer, Abe asked him, "Do you know what they were after?"

"They're involved in a string of burglaries. It's possible they're involved in trafficking, or they wanted ransom money... We aren't sure yet Abe. It could be organized crime as well... No point in speculating further until we know more."

"You'll keep me informed?" John gave him a look. Pending investigations weren't to be shared with the public at large. "You know I shouldn't."

"But you will. Thank you, John."

They hugged briefly and John left.

***

When he returned to the kitchen he saw Clara hugging Cecilia tightly. The gasping sobs were audible. Clara rubbed her back, tracing large circles over the thick rugby jumper. Clara suspected the choice of clothing had been intentional. Cecilia always seemed partial to James' clothes, even after they'd seen to her wardrobe. Abe moved behind them and held them both.