Chosen Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Silently she wrote a note on the form, and handed it back to me.Standard variable expensehad been struck out and replaced withFifteen thousand requested; complex legal circumstances, C. Vultari.

I signed, she photocopied and handed me a copy, and I walked out. My next stop was a jewelry store downtown.

+++

"Yes, miss?"

"I'd like a... piece, appraised."

"Of course."

I handed over an old jewelry box.

"We'd be happy to-"

He froze, staring into the box. After a moment, he looked at me. Then he looked down and ran a fingernail, slowly over one of the pearls.

"...assist you," he said. "Could you give me a moment?"

He stepped aside, took out a jeweler's loop, and took a look under a bright light. Then he measured one of the pearls, shook his head in bemusement, and reached for his phone.

"James, it's Mark. I know it's your day off but can you step around? There's a necklace I'd like you to see.... No, you'll have to do that. But trip A at least, and 17 millimeters uniform, white with rose overtone, triple silk knot, twenty inches... no. See you soon."

He looked over at me. "Miss, my associate is going to stop by to assess this on the spot. Can you spare twenty minutes? Would you like coffee? Please make yourself comfortable."

His associate was there in ten, and lost no time with the necklace.

"Miss..." he said, finally. "Did you inherit this?"

"Yes." What else was I going to say?

"Sorry for your loss. I'm James, by the way." He held out his hand.

I liked him. Touch of grey, keen blue eyes, tall. I shook his hand. "Adrienne."

"Well. These are 17 millimeter Tahitian, I'm certain, and I don't think they were cultured, though an x-ray will be required to prove that. They are as nearly flawless as I've seen. It would take time to do an exact rating and measurement, but I would expect four As in every category. A piece like this would have an asking price of at least five, perhaps six figures. From the clasp I'm going to surmise it was made in the Victorian era. This was a glorious necklace even in its day, but these days it's unheard of to see these outside of estates and private collections. I'd need time to make a proper assessment, if you wish to sell, but even without knowing more I can conservatively promise you at least forty thousand dollars."

"Oh." I was stunned. Forty thousand dollars was over a year's salary for me. I'd have time to learn a better job skill.

"You'll certainly want to get a second assessment, even if you don't plan to sell it. The insurance companies will insist."

"I, um, expect to sell it."

"We will beveryhappy to accommodate you in that."

+++

I got a call that afternoon. An x-ray showed that all of the pearls were uncultured. They offered me sixty five thousand. I got a second assessment the same day, for sixty two thousand. I sold for sixty five thousand.

Later that afternoon Ms. Vultari called to let me know that under the circumstances, the company had seen fit to immediately direct deposit fifteen thousand dollars without any fuss. She sounded surprised. I wasn't.

I paid my rent, settled some debts, and still had over two year's salary in my bank account.

I opened the book, wrote "Thank you." in pencil, and closed it.

12