City of Lights Ch. 01

Story Info
Young girl stuck in a dystopian future where Immortals rule.
1.6k words
3.66
10.2k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lorana
lorana
28 Followers

I would like to thank everyone for reading my stories, it still kind of astounds me that anyone is half interested in my ideas. I will say one thing, a common issue with my previous story is that I was a little nervous about posting my story on a site that was a little centered on sex. While I had eventually planned on having the characters have sex I ended up having this irrational fear that if each of my chapters didn't have a sex scene that nobody would read it/like it. Hence having incredibly rushed scenes and very short chapters. So attempting to resolve the issue I've set Jamie's story aside for the time being and will wait awhile before I tackle that one again. On this topic, I will say, no sex in this chapter....

Back on topic, this new story is the one I was talking about in my bio. I'm pretty excited for it. Picturing a Vampire Diaries/ True Blood/ Cinderella/ Hunger Games kinda thing. I will say quickly that it's not a vampire story ( VD and TB ideas are just for the love triangle that will happen eventually). Anyways, enough ranting, enjoy guys!!! Make sure to comment and send me your thoughts and ideas!!!

PS: Please vote too ;)

Lorana

*

I stared at the blank page in front of me. It was taking me longer than normal to think of designs lately, maybe it was the time of year. The anniversary of the fire is next week... I can't believe it's been 10 years since it happened. My mind wandered remembering that day...

The fire started in the middle of the night while everyone in the house was sleeping. I still haven't figured out how it started, I just remember waking up with flames surrounding my bed. I backed as far away from it as I could but not before the flames licked up my side and caught my long black hair on fire. Not long after I passed out from the pain. The next thing I remember is Matthew Taison carrying me from the building. My parents never made it out...

After that I moved in with the Taison's and met their son Oliver. As my burns healed and my hair grew back Oliver became the one constant in a life that was constantly changing. My hair grew back a vivid shade of red and we couldn't figure out why. Ever since the Immortals took over, all genetic differences had been eradicated; all the humans had brown hair and brown eyes. They couldn't take any chances of us evolving like they had. They had evolved into...

"BEE!" Oliver said loudly while shaking me, startling me out of reverie.

"You've been staring at that piece of paper for hours," he said, worried "it's time to go home Bee."

"Sorry Oliver... Just stuck in the past" I mumbled as I got up, fixing my head scarf.

For the past 10 years I've had to hide my fire red hair by using a charcoal based paste to make it look darker and then covering it with a scarf for double protection. Luckily we lived in the Clothing District where my skill in design allowed me and Oliver to live and work in his home. With minimal contact with the guards in our district I haven't had much to worry about. It wasn't a perfect life but we managed.

I grabbed my sketchbook and got up to make the trek back to the house from the water. The dock was the one good place to sit and draw. The guards hardly ever patrolled this area since it didn't face any other districts. As I got up Oliver grabbed my hand and kept a hold of it as we walked back to the house. I didn't question it; Oliver and I have a weird relationship. In the past 10 years we have grown really close but lately he's been hinting at wanting a different kind of close. I've been pretending to be oblivious for the past two months and I don't know how much longer he'll believe it but I have to try. I don't think I'm ready for a relationship with him or anyone really.

I turned back to stare at the moon over the water, the stars shining brightly, feeling lucky that we lived in the Clothing District. I've heard that in some of the other districts that have huge factories you can't even see the stars anymore

"Bee, you're doing it again..." Oliver said while turning me back towards the house gently.

"Sorry... You know me, constantly in another time and place." I said sheepishly.

"Well I hope you can stay in the here and the now for a bit," He said as we got to the door "because I have a surprise for you."

Oliver opened the door and led me into the dining room. The table was set, the candles were lit, and there were some amazing smells coming from the kitchen.

"My parents had to go to the Farming District for a few days to pick up our next shipment of thread so I figured we could enjoy our time that we have to ourselves in style."

"You set all this up for me?" I looked around, amazed at the effort he went through. Trying to figure out where he found the time to set this up between work and his chores.

"Of course I did Bee; I wanted tonight to be special." Oliver said, suddenly looking very serious.

"Why did you want it to be special...?" I tried to back away from him, suddenly very aware of how close he was.

Oliver wouldn't have it, and stepped even closer to me before getting down on one knee.

"Bee, I've been in love with you since the moment I laid eyes on you. When my father brought you home I knew, in that moment, that we were meant to be together. For the past two months I've been trying to come up with a way to tell you this but nothing seemed to be working. Then I realized I wasn't being direct enough so here goes. Beatrix Leroux, will you m..."

I cut him off there, "No, Oliver. Stop there... Please don't do this. Everything was going so good, everything was perfect. Why do you have to go and try to change everything?"

I ran away from him, away from this story book set up, and up to my room. I could hear him yelling after me but I didn't stop. I locked my bedroom door behind me, curling up on my bed. I wrapped my arms around my knees, rocking gently a stray tear escaping from me. How could he be so selfish. I've lost everything and everyone I've ever loved, been stuck with some hideous deformation that could get me shipped off to some lab or even get killed, and he takes the one good thing in my life from me. Oliver is my best friend; we couldn't date or get married because it would ruin everything. Things would change, I would change and it just wouldn't be the same. I didn't know how I was going to face him in the morning.

As I went to lie down I noticed that someone had brought my mail up to my room and set it on my nightstand. Picking them up I noticed there were a few more than normal. The first one was a thank you note from Faith who lived down the road. During my spare time I had worked on her wedding dress at a reduced rate so that she could afford it, none of us made much money in the District except the guards. The next was a bill from the trucking company we used to ship my designs to the City, that one I set aside to pay and file in the morning. The next was an unmarked envelope that had my name written in beautiful cursive. Almost no one wrote in cursive any more due to the lack of proper education in the Districts so I was intrigued at that point. Carefully opening the envelope I pulled out a short letter.

Ms. Beatrix Leroux

344 Western Lane,

Area 9, Clothing District,

Province of Isadaran.

Dear Ms. Leroux,

First and foremost I would like to congratulate you on your success. Moving up in the business at such a young age is really commendable. Working out of your own home on your designs and having your own employees to mass produce and ship your clothing is a clear sign that you will do big things in life. This brings me to my proposal. My name is Iris Ivanov of the Ivanov Pack, and I would be pleased if you would come to be our live in seamstress. This job would entail coming up with unique designs for my family, actually creating the clothes, as well as doing minor repairs on our pre-existing clothes. All other details will be discussed when you arrive.

Included you will find your plane ticket and while I recommend you pack lightly be aware that vacation time will be something we discuss upon your arrival so your homecoming may still be far off. I've arranged for all your current projects to be finished so there is no need for you to worry.

I look forward to meeting the woman who has created such wonderful designs.

Sincerely,

Iris Ivanov

Ivanov Pack Alpha.

Staring at the letter in my hands I realized two things. One, the plane ticket was for tomorrow afternoon and two, the wording she used made it seem like I had little choice but to go work for her. Taking one final look at the letter I let myself cry as I went to go to bed. Looks like things are going to change anyways.

lorana
lorana
28 Followers