Claim It!

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Donna hasn't returned or called you since she left?" asked Pete.

"No, she hasn't." With a sheepish look, Don said, "I think I scared her that night. I doubt she will contact me. At least directly. And before you ask, I haven't tried contacting her either."

"Okay, well, the whole thing is very unusual, Boss. I'm with you, I think someone is telling her stuff that ain't true. And really, it sounds like someone is trying to get your wife for themselves. What I don't get though, why didn't she believe you? What evidence does Donna think she has that proves you cheated? Have you contacted Donna's friend?"

Don looked around before answering. checking to see where the men were, he didn't want anyone overhearing.

"No, I haven't called anyone. Not my folks. Not any friends. Not anyone. Especially, not Michelle! Since Donna left Monday I go home and stew. And, no one has called me."

Gazing sternly at his foreman, Don slowly said, "Pete, I don't want anyone to know what's going on with me and Donna. Not yet, anyway. Not until I've had time to find out what's going on with her. And find out who told her all that bullshit about me. You feel me, Compadre?"

"Sure. I got your back. But, you really should go talk to this Michelle." Forestalling Don's knee-jerk reply with a upheld hand, Pete continued talking. "I know you don't like her, but she is the first link you have to all this mess. She is also- or was- Donna's friend, so she might know more than you about what is going on."

Don thought about what Pete just said, but the idea of talking to Michelle, about anything, much more about what had happened between him and Donna, was not a pleasant one.

"I don't know, Pete. She might not want to talk to me. Even if she did, how do I know she isn't in cahoots with Donna? Maybe, I'm being setup by both of them.", mused Don, sourly.

"I'm not trying to tell you what to do, Boss. But, you do need to find out what is going on. Since Michelle was mentioned, then that's where I would start. It's up to you. Now, I'm going to put on my other hat. I still hold the majority shares in your company, and until you finish buying me out, I' m still THE boss. So, do what you need to do to get yourself straight. I can't have your moods running off the men, so go home, go get drunk, go do whatever, but don't come back to work until you got a better handle on yourself. I'm sorry I have to do this, but-"

"I hear you, old man. I don't like it, and I hate to admit it, but you're right. So, I'll be back as soon as I get this shit fixed, one way or another. But, no more lectures, okay? I hate that shit."

"Sure, Don. I'll see you when you return to work. Call me. If you need anything, an ear, a place to crash, name it. If I can do anything to help, I will."

"Thanks, Pete. I'll see you later."

"Via con Adios, Amigo."

~N~

Saturday dawned bright and cold. Don hadn't slept well, he hadn't slept well all week, not since before Donna's crazy behavior. It made him sick each time he thought of the night Donna left and as often as he thought why Donna believed he had cheated, nothing came to mind. It had turned into a vicious circle of conflicting thoughts and emotion, with no end in sight. So, Friday evening, as he lay in bed, sleep eluding him, he contemplated what Pete had said. Don really didn't want to have anything to do with Michelle, but perhaps he had no choice. And, Pete was right, it was a starting point.

Feeling the lack of sleep, he arose from the bed groggily as the rising sun's light began to shine through the bedroom window. After showering, he downed a energy bar and some coffee, but his stomach didn't appreciate the disturbance, and nausea quickly set in. Chewing a couple of antacid tablets he emotionally and mentally prepared himself, as best as he could, to confront Michelle. Finding Michelle was no problem, he knew where she lived because he and Donna had visited her place a couple of times.

He would have called and spoken to Michelle, but he didn't want to give her any warning. He simply didn't trust her.

Don arrived at Michelle's apartment building exactly at nine in the morning. He sat in his truck, staring at nothing for a few minutes as he tried to figure out his approach. There was so many ways to open up the conversation, but he also wanted the truth from Michelle. So it came down to being gentlemanly polite or a raging asshole. Don concluded that a middle of the road approach might be best. At least, at first.

He tiredly exited the truck, making his way ploddingly up the S shaped sidewalk, and to Michelle's apartment door. The moment had arrived. Out of habit, Don looked at his watch, absently noting that it was seven minutes past nine.

Don saw his hand rise of its own accord, reaching out to press the door bell button. No! He wasn't ready! He needed more time to plan what he was going to say! But, it was too late. He heard the chime inside the apartment begin its melodious tones.

After a couple of seconds, the chimes ended their false gaiety of welcome, he could do nothing but wait for Michelle to answer the door, but it was a nerve wracking wait. He was surprised at his nervous state. He'd never been nervous around Michelle, it was just the opposite. Normally, Don was very self confident when he was around Michelle. It came with his job. He had to be sure of himself, exuding self-confidence, put the clients at ease and built trust. So, despite not wanting to be around her and talk to her, he'd never experienced such nervousness and anxiety with her. Then again, the situation and circumstance back when were far different than it was this morning.

What felt like minutes passed as Don waited. And waited.

Impatient, he checked his watch and was astonished to discover that only one minute had passed.

He looked around the parking area, seeking Michelle's car, but failed to see it. Maybe she wasn't home. Maybe she had left earlier. Maybe she no longer lived here. These thoughts and more, passed in a jumbled fashion through Don's mind while his wait stretched into the next minute.

It was with a mixed cauldron of emotion when Don decided Michele was not at home. Looking at his watch once again, he found three minutes had crept by since he rang the door bell. With a loud sigh of frustration blended in with some relief Don turned away from Michelle's door, beginning the short walk back to his truck.

As he was pressing the truck fob to unlock his truck, he heard someone walking by.

"Don? What are you doing here?!" asked a voice, filled with obvious contempt.

The voice and tone were unmistakable. It was Michelle.

He turned slowly toward the direction of the voice. Michelle was dressed in, a no doubt, chic running outfit. It clung tightly to her contours, displaying her physical charms in all their glory. The light pink color of the outfit, reminded Don of cotton candy. If Michelle wasn't so much a bitch, Don could have easily found her attractive. However, with her opening verbal salvo, all the things Don disliked about Michelle came flooding back, and in the instant, all of his anxiety evaporated like a morning mist in the hot yellow beams of the rising sun.

"I want to know why you told Donna a bunch of lies!" replied Don in a harsh assured voice.

"What are you talking about?I You're the one who told her we slept together!" shot back Michelle with angry vigor.

Surprised at Michelle's reply, Don became instantly suspicious. "What? I never told her anything like that. Donna accused me of sleeping with you. I denied it. Anyway, how did you know that's what I was talking about?"

Michelle, her eyes filling with a tempestuous emotion, spat out, "Because, shit head, she called and accused me of fucking you! And she said- no, she screamed at me, that you told her that! It's a no-brainer, dick wad!"

"Listen, you fucking cunt!" snarled Don. He was fed up with Michelle's arrogance, disrespect, and was suspicious of Michelle's involvement. "I think you and Donna have cooked up something together. I don't know what it is, but I'm going to find out. And when I do, you will fucking regret the day you fucked with me! If she is out getting some strange dick and you're covering up for her. I'm going to-"

"What are you going to do? Hit me? Kill me?" angrily interjected Michelle. "You pathetic excuse for a man! Threatening a woman! How manly!"

"Why you, fucking slu-" began Don.

"I bet Donna left you because she finally figured out you were only with her because of her inheritance!" yelled Michelle, with malicious glee, interrupting Don again.

"Why is it every word out of your mouth is a lie? Do you enjoy making up shit? No wonder you can't keep a man, because you can't keep your lies straight!"

"Look whose calling the kettle black! You can't even keep a wife! But then, you're no better than a gigolo. What? Were you waiting for the day you didn't have to work at that little shitty company of yours. Oh, wait, it's not even yours!" laughed Michelle evilly.

"There you go again, spouting more shit. Maybe, you need a boyfriend who's a plumber to take care of all that shit coming out of you. That is, if you even like men." growled out Don. It was obvious he was getting nowhere, and it probably wasn't going to get any better. Don knew it was past time to leave.

Michelle smirked at his inference, saying, "I like men just fine. Except you."

"Whatever. Just remember what I said. I will get some payback." promised Don as he turned to board his truck.

"Payback! That's funny, asshole! You'll never see a dime now! She's done with you! I've told her and told her that's all you really wanted. Good riddance, fuck face!"

Don already half in the truck, stopped and turned his head to glare at Michelle. "What did you say you told Donna?"

"I know you heard me the first time, but I also know you're dense, so, you know, I told her that what you really wanted was all that glitters." answered Michelle with a look of smug satisfaction.

"Michelle, can't you ever give a straight answer? What are you talking about?" retorted Don, in angry frustration.

'Her inheritance, shit for brains. Come on, don't play stupid. I know that Donna told you about it. That's why you married her." answered Michelle, with a angry frown on her face.

Don stared intently at Michelle for a long moment, surprisingly, causing her to become nervous.

"If you're telling the truth, and I doubt that, then I don't know about any inheritance. I married Donna because I love her." replied Don, somewhat defensively. But, his expression changed from outright anger and disgust to confusion. "Donna never mentioned anything about an inheritance to me." finished Don, in a low voice, talking more to himself than to Michelle.

"Come off it! She told me you knew about everything. How you agreed and all that." said Michelle with disdain.

Don frowning in confusion, shook his head, as if trying to clear it. "I don't know what you're talking about. What is everything? Other than agreeing to be her husband what else is there I agreed to?"

Michelle, about to further berate Don, stopped and studied his face. More so, she sensed him. She wasn't psyche, but sometimes she was able to tell when someone was lying. It struck her that Don truly was confused and truthful.

"Oh, fuck. Don, I didn't know! I thought- I thought you knew. Oh, damn! I guess I fucked up" exclaimed Michelle in self-reproach.

Don looked at Michelle questioningly. "What the fuck are you talking about? Didn't know what? What is going on?! Tell me, you stupid bitch! I'm so fucking tired of your fucking arro-" started Don, his voice rising in anger with each sentence.

"Don! Okay! I get it. I'm a stupid cunt. I'm a fucked up bitch and whatever other derogatory remark you can come up with. I hear you. The truth is, I believed Donna when she told me you knew. It's why-" She stopped talking to look around, before lowering her voice and saying, "Don, lets' take the rest of this conversation inside. There are too many ears out here."

Astonished at Michelle's abrupt reversal and unexpected change in attitude, Don could only nod in reply.

~N~

Thirty minutes and a couple of cups of coffee later, a highly aggrieved Don Hudson, sat, feeling dismay and disbelief, at Michelle's kitchen table.

"Don. I'm sorry. I apologize for my behavior toward you all these years. I really thought you knew about Donna's inheritance and the stipulations that went along with it. It's what she told me. That you knew. That you had agreed to marry her because of what you would get in return." cried a sorrowful Michelle. "I thought you were just another money hungry asshole. Please forgive me."

Don looked at Michelle, saw the remorse on her face, but all he could feel was a deeply set pulsating anger. He literally had no compassion left in him.

Ignoring her emotional outburst, Don said coldly, "So- let me get this straight. Donna- her siblings and cousins, had to marry someone by the time she was twenty-five and stay married for five years, so she could inherit five-million dollars that her grandfather had bequeathed to all his grandchildren. It couldn't be a marriage of convenience, it had to be a real marriage. For love and all that. Although, having children was not a stipulation. But, she had to live with the husband in the same household for those five years. At which point, she could divorce her husband, but he would be entitled to one-million dollars regardless of the divorce. Do I have that correct?'

Wiping her wet reddened eyes, Michelle nodded. "Yes, except that their grandfather set up the trust funds with a lot less than five-million. With interest and investing they've grown, so, that's the value of each of the trust funds as of two months ago. Donna checked. It's what the investment people told her."

Continuing as if he hadn't heard her, Don said, "And, you thought I married Donna with the knowledge that I was going to get one-million dollars, just for marrying her? Because of that, you've treated me like shit for the last five years? Is that right?"

"Yes. And I'm so sorry. I take back all I said about you, and to you. Donna said she had-" lamented a regretful Michelle.

"What did Donna say to you when you last spoke to her?" interrupted Don in annoyance. He wanted to know what Michelle knew about Donna leaving him. If nothing else, than to confirm the same shit Donna had accused him of. He didn't want to hear anymore of Michelle's abject apologies.

"Oh...Well, she called last Tuesday morning. I guess it was around ten, or maybe a little after. She immediately went into a tirade about me and you. She caught me by surprise. I was at work and I had my boss in my office so I couldn't immediately reply to Donna's accusations. I asked her to hold, After I finished speaking to my boss, I returned to her call, but she'd hung up. I called her back and it rang several times before going to voice mail. I kept trying throughout the day, until right before five, when I called it went straight to voice mail. I've called her several times since and left her messages, but she's never returned my calls. Now, here we are." explained Michelle with a mixed note of sadness and anger.

Don looked at Michelle, trying to determine if she was lying, but as best as he could tell, Michelle was speaking the truth. "Okay. What exactly did Donna say when she called?"

Michelle looked away in embarrassment, before replying. "She said a lot of things, but the one thing she screamed the loudest about, was that she knew you and I had fucked. I was flabbergasted when I heard that. She insisted that you had told her that."

"She accused me of that too, right to my face. I denied it. But, she was convinced I was lying. She also said she had evidence. I don't know how she could have, since I know very well you and I have never had sex!" said Don with brutal emphasis.

Both of them sat in a uncomfortable silence for a few seconds, before Don broke it. "Okay, Michelle. I believe you. I figured you might know more, but apparently you don't. And, that leaves me back at square one. "

Michelle nodded in acknowledgment, but maintained her silence.

Don stared at nothing, his mind trying to find another avenue to investigate, when he thought to ask another question.

"I wonder, what would happen if Donna and I split before the five years were up? Do you know?"

Michelle looked up and faced Don. "I don't know, I never- Oh, wait! I remember! If any of the grandchildren, like Donna, failed to complete five years of marriage, they wouldn't get anything. I don't know about the spouses. They might not get anything either. Why do you ask?"

Ignoring her question, Don asked another question. "What happens to the money when it doesn't end up going to the grandchild?" Seeing the confused look on Michelle's face, Don explained, "Like what happens to the money that Donna is supposed to get if we don't make five years as a married couple?"

Michelle's eyes lit up in understanding. "Oh! I don't know. Donna never told me that sort of thing. Donna might not have known. If she did, she never told me."

Don nodded slowly at her answer. Looking her straight in the eye, Don asked Michelle, "Who else in Donna's family do you know of that is having marital problems? That might lose their inheritance."

Michelle sat straight up in surprise at Don's question. "Oh, my God! You think- I mean... I don't know if any others are having problems. If they were, they would no doubt keep it a secret from the rest of the family. Or else, face losing five million dollars. So, I wouldn't know. No one would."

"I see. Okay. Then, if Donna would end up losing so much money, why leave me before the five years is completed? That doesn't make sense."

Michelle looked at Don with a frown.

"I don't know, Don." Noticing his look of skepticism, Michelle quickly added. "Honestly, I don't know." Michelle looked away from Don and to the floor intently, as if the tile pattern held the answer. "it could be- Well, you guys have your fifth anniversary coming up in a couple of months, right?"

Don nodded.

Michelle looked back up. "I'm thinking that Donna won't do anything that will jeopardize her getting the money. I'm guessing that she'll wait until after your anniversary, when she gets the money, then file- for divorce- or whatever.

Don nodded again, deep in thought at Michelle's words. After a few seconds of silence, Don stood up, "This has been very enlightening, but I think I'll be going now. Thanks, Michelle."

Michelle remained sitting, ruefully looking at Don. "Wait. Please. I want to know- have you spoken to Donna since she left?"

Don looked at Michelle, trying to figure out if there was some underlying motive to her question. "No, I haven't." he replied slowly.

"What? Haven't you called her?" asked a surprised Michelle. "She might be waiting for you to call. Women aren't like men, Don, we expect men to chase after us, even if we sometimes say otherwise."

"I don't know anything about that. What I do know, she accused me of something I didn't do and then when she didn't get what she wanted, she walked out. If she wants to contact me, then I will talk to her. But, if she truly thinks I cheated on her, what's to stop her from getting payback? Donna might have already fucked some asshole. And, if she did, she might just want to share, and what makes you think I'll want her back after that? So no, I won't contact her."

"I'm sorry, Don. I take part of the blame for that. If I hadn't been convinced you were only in it for- What I mean, I have been unfair to you all this time. I-"

"Save it, Michelle! It's done. It's over. I'm not going to say you've swept away the ill feelings you caused me with your fucked up attitude, but I will say that it's no longer as prominent as it was before our talk. But, it's never going to go away." Stemming whatever Michelle was about to say, Don added, "It is what it is, Michelle."