Cold Steele---and Ice

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,292 Followers

For over 30 minutes I showed and we practiced what I had preached. As we worked through the moves I could see a different look in his eyes. A confidence now found. Afterwards I motioned for James to follow me back to the Corvette.

"If nothing else, at least you'll know you stood up for yourself and you'll feel better. "Not to be a typical adult but believe me how you feel about yourself is important; especially as you get older."

James looked at me for a long time and then smiled. "I like it," he said. "You're right, Sam's gonna steal my money and beat on me anyway. I might as well make him pay for it."

We got into the Corvette and I took James home. "Moms are great but sometimes they just don't understand some things. If you need to talk to someone, call me," I said and handed him one of my cards.

"Stella asked James if he was alright when we entered the house. He just smiled, nodded, and went to his room. "What did you and James talk about?" She asked. "Is he going to be alright?"

"James and I had a nice discussion, Stella. I'm not his father, just a new friend, and I think our talk should stay between him and me."

Abby, Stella, and I sat around and talked for about an hour. The couple of times Stella sort of asked about my talk with James, I smiled and shook my head.

"Were you able to help James?" Abby asked when we were back in front of her apartment.

"I showed him a couple of moves to protect himself, but most importantly we talked," I answered.

"What did you tell him?"

I leaned over kissed her. "That's between us men," I said. "Talk to you tomorrow."

Three days later, in the early evening, I got a call from James. "You were right Mr. Steele. I did what you said and Sam is leaving me alone now."

"What happened?"

"Sam was sitting with his friends in front of the door to the school. He walked over and knocked my books to the ground. Then he told me to give him my lunch money. I picked up my books and remembered what you said. When he reached to knock them out of my hands again, I kicked him in the crotch. He bent over and I knocked him to the ground. Then I jumped on his back and started to punch him. A teacher came out of the building and stopped me. "

James paused and continued. "That's not all Mr. Steele. Sam and I both got detention for fighting, but that's okay. A lot of the other kids that Sam picked on told the teachers about Sam bullying me and them. When I walked into the detention room, Sam was already sitting there. He looked up and stared at me when I sat down across the room. He pointed his finger at me, shook his head, and grinned. Today he was sitting in front of the school as usual; but this time he just nodded at me as I went by."

I waited for James to catch his breath; he'd been talking so fast it was almost hard to understand him. "That's good to hear James. I'm glad it's working out for you."

"That's not all Mr. Steele. The principal sent a letter to Mom, telling her if I got into any more fights I'd be suspended. Boy did that make her mad. The next day she went to see Mr. Wright and got all over him. Mom told him about Sam bullying me and that the school didn't do anything. She also told him that if he, Mr. Wright I mean, didn't put a stop to it, she'd kick his butt." James laughed and added, "One of my friends, Jenny who works in the office, told me about. After Mom left, Jenny said that Mr. Wright told his secretary that he wouldn't be able to sit down for a while after that ass chewing."

James laughed again for several seconds. "But maybe the best thing about it, is that I feel better. I'm not afraid anymore and I won't put up with Sam or anybody else picking on me. Thank you Mr. Steele."

"No problem buddy. If you want to talk or anything give me a call." After I hung up, I stared at a painting on my wall, lost in thought.

Abby came into my living room, wearing my robe and drying her hair with a towel, after her shower. "Who was that?"

"Just a friend that followed my advice," I answered with a grin.

"A friend named James?" She smiled at my surprise. "I talked to Stella earlier today and she told me all about James's little adventure. She also told me she went down to the school and read them the riot act." Abby walked over and flopped down on my lap. "You're not the cynical, hardhearted person you show to the world." She leaned in and kissed me.

"I'm cynical about those that deserve it, I'm hardhearted when I have to be," I answered with a serious face. "But James doesn't fall into either category. Without a father to teach him, he just needed a man's point of view." I shrugged my shoulders and smiled, "Guess what I told him worked. He's a happy little guy."

"Stella told me about the bullying and that you told James to fight back." Abby leaned back and added, "He could have been hurt; that Sam is much bigger than him."

"Abby...he was being hurt anyway and not just physically. He didn't feel good about himself and that could be worse than a black eye or something else. I hate to get all philosophical about it but there's a line from Julius Caesar that's about right." I looked at the surprise on Abby's face. "What? I've read some Shakespeare you know. I'm not just a pretty face."

"I'm sorry, I just can't picture you sitting in a smoking jacket, drinking wine, and reading Shakespeare." Abby said as she laughed and giggled.

"I don't drink wine much and I don't own a smoking jacket," I protested. "More like a glass of Gentleman Jack and wearing a sweatshirt and jeans."

"I know, I know, but it's still a funny picture. What did Shakespeare have to say about James's problem?"

"Julius Caesar is talking to his wife, Calpurnia, after she had a nightmare about Caesar being killed while at the Senate. She begs him not to go; to send word he's sick or something. He answers, 'Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.' Toned down, that's what I told James."

"And what does Shakespeare have to say about love?" Abby asked as she snaked her arms around my neck.

I thought for a few seconds and said, "I'm not sure about Shakespeare, but this is what I have to say about it." Pulling Abby closer I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her.

********************

We were in my truck, on our way to dinner the next evening. I don't know why we were in the old beater; maybe I had a feeling or a premonition or something. My cell phone made its stupid noise to let me know I had a call; I didn't recognize the incoming number.

"Matt Steele," I answered.

"Hey, it's Bill down at the Neighborhood. Eddie said he's got some info for you but he won't give it to anyone but you. Wants to meet you here tonight at 7."

"Hell, that hardly gives me time to get there; I'm way out on the west end. Tell him I'll meet him tomorrow, would ya?"

"Won't work. Smiling Eddie says he's leaving town tonight. Says things are getting too hot for him and he's buggin out. Says Bagman Charley has already bugged out. If you want to talk to him it has to be tonight."

I pulled the truck into a parking lot next to a closed business; never did like talking on the phone and driving at the same time. Hesitating for several seconds I said, "Tell Eddie I'll be there as quick as I can. Gotta make a stop first."

Turning to Abby, I explained the situation. "I'll drop you by my place on the way. You can order some Chinese or a pizza for us and I'll be back in an hour or so." I put my hand up to the side of her face. "Sorry, I've got to go see this guy."

"Why can't I go with you?" Abby asked.

"The Neighborhood Tavern is not the kind of place I'd take a lady; especially my lady," I replied. "Hell, it's not the kind of place I'd take a SWAT team. I don't even want to go there unless I have to."

"Matthew Steele! I'll have you know I'm capable of taking care of myself." Abby slid across the bench seat of the truck and leaned against me. That's one thing I like about my truck better than my Corvette; Abby can sit next to me and not stuck in a bucket seat. "Besides, you'll protect me. Won't you?" She batted her eyelashes and pouted at me; then she broke up laughing. "Really Matt, I'll be okay."

I knew when I was beaten; nodding I started the truck, made a U turn, and headed for The Neighborhood. The big V8 roared as I raced to get to the tavern before Eddie decided to leave. I did a power slide up to the curb. Almost misjudged that one I thought, as the truck slid into the curb and rocked back and forth.

Abby followed me out of the driver's side. Her eyes were sparkling and she looked excited. I didn't know if it was my driving or the thrill of being on a case with me. Pulling open my sports jacket, I made sure my Glock 21C was showing. Abby's eyes got even bigger.

"This isn't the nicest place in the city. Some of the guys in there would make a run at you; even with me standing next to you. But damn few of them will ignore my Glock," I explained. She nodded and we entered The Neighborhood Tavern.

Abby wrinkled her nose as we entered the big barroom. The musty smell was made up of stale beer, unwashed bodies, and cigarette smoke; this smell caused Abby's reaction. There were several tables scattered around the room with mismatched chairs and scared tops; most with cigarette burns on them. The carved wood bar, a remembrance of better, more successful days, ran 40 feet across the back wall. At the far end, the bar turned 90 degrees and abutted against that wall. Sitting in the last seat, with his back against the wall, was Smiling Eddie.

I nodded at him and taking Abby's arm walked to join him. Seated at the bar, were two very large, ugly men. They both needed shaves, as well as baths; I could smell the dried, stale sweat. Because they were wearing wife beater shirts, I could see what looked like prison tattoos up and down their arms. As we walked behind them, one of the men turned. He looked at Abby; the lust and his intent were plain to read on his face and in his eyes.

"Well, well; look what we been brought," he said. His stained, dirty mustache did nothing to hide the green teeth or the bad breath. He slid off his barstool and took a step toward Abby and me. I stepped in front of Abby and waited. Old green teeth gave me an evil grin and pulled a large switchblade knife; flicking it open.

I reached to the small of my back and did a speed draw with the big Glock. "Don't even think about it," I ordered and pressed the barrel of the gun to his forehead. "Now I admit this young lady is very attractive. But you have to ask yourself a question; is she worth dying for?"

The missing link dropped the knife, slumped back onto the barstool and shook his head. I kicked the knife across the room, holstered my piece and turned to the other guy. "How about you buddy?"

Picking up his beer, he gulped it down. "I got a wife and I reckon it's time I go home to her," he said. Standing he nodded at his friend, then at me and walked out of the tavern.

"If it's okay, I think I'll leave too," the other one said. He didn't even bother to finish his beer; he just walked very fast, almost running, to escape the crazy dude with the big gun. He kept looking back over his shoulder to make sure I wasn't following him.

I turned to Abby. "See not the nicest place in town."

"I think you made ole Iron Mike there wet hisself," Bill said with a big grin. "Glad you didn't shoot him though; blood's a lot harder to clean up than urine."

"Abby, this is Bill Marshall, the owner of this fine establishment. Bill this is Abby Stewart. She's my, er...er..." I stuttered not knowing how to explain our relationship. "Oh hell, she's mine," I finished.

"A pleasure to meet you Miss Stewart," Bill replied. "Why don't you let me get you a drink while Mattie talks to Smiling Eddie?"

"Mattie?" Abby said and giggled. "Really? Mattie," she repeated and looked at me.

I shook my head and went to take the stool next to Smiling Eddie; he had a worried look on his face and wasn't smiling. "Talk to me Eddie. What did you find out?"

"I got a name for you. Dude I know told me this guy was braggin about heisting a lot of ice so I checked into it. It'll cost you Matt," Eddie said. "I gotta get out of town."

"Eddie, I've always taken care of you," I said. He'd always done a good job for me so I handed him a fifty. "Why do you have to leave town?"

"This guy heard me and Charley was askin around and he's not the kind of guy I want to be on his bad side; he's a real hard case. So I'm getting while I can. Hell, Charley's already split." Eddie looked around me at the front door as if he expected someone to come after him.

"Okay, what's his name and where can I find him?"

"Sidney Jenkins. Everybody calls him Sasquatch, but not to his face." Eddie looked at the front door again.

He's really spooked, I thought. Eddie had always been a little squirrely, but I've never seen him this scared. Sasquatch, I thought. You've got to be kidding. I shook my head; no accounting for taste. "Sasquatch, Eddie?"

"Yeah. Sid's a really big scary guy. He used to play pro football about ten years ago; then he tore up his knee and had to quit. People tell me he's been in a bad mood ever since." He gulped down his drink and I motioned to Bill for a refill.

"Where can I find him?"

"Don't know where he hangs; heard he started lookin for me and Charley before I could get that close. Word is Sid didn't like us askin questions about a certain robbery."

He took a big pull on his new drink. "This guy is nothin to mess around with Matt. Word is he's damned near killed a couple of guys with his bare hands." Eddie stood to leave.

"Where're you going Eddie?"

"Don't know yet." He held up the fifty. "Guess I'll see how far this will take me on a bus."

"Won't get you too far and you won't have anything to live on when you get there," I told him. "Here," I said and handed him four more fifties; course, it was Blaine's money. "Let me know if you come back."

"Thanks Matt. Try talkin to Calvin, the fence over on Chouteau and Sixth; he works for Rollie Chambers sometimes and he's into ice and shit." Eddie headed for the back door. "See ya Matt," he said just before he left the tavern. I found out later that Eddie was found beaten half to death outside of the bus station.

I walked back to where Abby was sitting, talking to Bill. "We can still make dinner, if you want to," I suggested

"I'd ask you to stay," Bill said. "But the second half of my entertainment didn't show up tonight." He smiled at me. "It's been a pleasure to meet you Miss Stewart. Come back and see me sometime, maybe when you can get a police escort."

Back in my truck Abby laughed. "Lets see... there's Iron Mike, Smiling Eddie, Bagman Charlie, Sasquatch? Who's next, Darth Vader? What's ice anyway?"

"You run into some colorful characters in my line of work," I said smiling back at her. "Ice is a street name for jewelry; you know, diamond rings, necklaces, rubies. That kind of thing"

Abby got a serious look on her face. "Those people are so sad. Poor Eddie and that Iron Mike and Ralph James. How do you stand being around them?"

"That's just part of the city Abby; it's part of my job. But it isn't me." I took her hand and pulled her across the seat closer to me.

"So I'm your er...er...yours, am I?" She grinned, reminding me of my confusion when I introduced her to Bill.

I shook my head. "Yeah," I replied. "That's if you want to be."

"I'm here aren't I?" Abby kissed me on the cheek and laid her head on my shoulder. The drive back to my place was a little slower than our race to meet Eddie.

"I can't take you to dinner tonight," I told Abby the next morning as she was getting ready to go to work. She kept some of her things at my place so she wouldn't have to run home mornings after she stayed over. "I've got a meeting to attend. You could come back here and maybe we could have a late supper," I suggested.

"Got a date with a hottie, do you?" Abby was smiling, knowing that she was the only hottie I was involved with.

"Yep," I answered. Her smile slowly slid off her face. "First I'm going to see that fence that Eddie told me about. Then I've got a date with Sasquatch; if I can find him."

Her smile reappeared. I kissed her, waved goodbye, and left the apartment. As I got to my truck, I dialed a number on my cell.

"This is Chambers," I heard when the call was answered.

"Hey Rollie, its Matt Steele."

"Hi Matt. Is this a social call or do you need something?"

"A little of both I guess. I want to talk to your CI, Calvin, about some hot jewels, but wanted to check with you before I talk to him. I don't want to mess up anything for you."

"Calvin and I go way back," Rollie said. "I'll give him a call and tell him you're coming. If it's about jewelry, he'll know about it."

"Thanks Rollie, I'll try and return the favor someday."

"Oh, almost forgot," Rollie continued before I could hang up. "Tully said to have Abby give him a call about their next class; he might have to reschedule."

"Class? Tully? What class?" I asked. That Abby and Tully were even talking much less doing something together was news to me.

"You didn't know? I guess not by your reaction." Rollie didn't say any more.

"C'mon Rollie, give," I prompted. "You can't just leave me hanging."

"Okay, but don't let on to Abby I was the one to ruin what was going to be her surprise. Abby has been taking the basic hand gun course out at Tully's place; Missouri Tactical Academy. After she finishes training she's going to get her CCW."

"Why does she need a concealed carry permit?" I asked before I thought. "Guess you're the wrong one to ask aren't you? Thanks Rollie, I'll let you know if Calvin is any help. See ya."

I started my truck and drove toward my office. Now why would Abby want a CCW, I asked. It was a rhetorical question because there wasn't anyone there to answer it. I sure the hell didn't know.

Around 1 PM I called Abby. I usually called her if we hadn't been together the previous night. This time was different. "Hey Abby. I've got a message for you." I paused for a couple of seconds. "Tully said to give him a call about your next class."

There was silence on the line. Finally I said, "Abby?"

"It was supposed to be a surprise," she said.

"Why do you want a CCW?"

"Well, Jessica and Julie are involved with their detectives and they have them so since I'm involved with a detective I thought I should have one too." Abby hesitated waiting for my reaction but I kept quiet. "Maybe you'll need a gun toting moll to back you up sometime," she said trying to make a joke.

"I don't think so young lady," I replied. "Anyway I'll see you about 9. Okay?"

"The pizza will be waiting and the beer will be cold Mattie," she answered and hung up before I could remark about the "Mattie."

"Calvin?" I said as I entered the rundown storefront in an area that could have been called skid row if it were nicer. The man behind the counter at the back of the store nodded. "I'm Matt Steele."

"Rollie told me you'd be comin by. Told me to help you any way I could." Calvin gave me a small calculating grin. "So how can I help you?"

I explained about the robbery and what was stolen. I didn't tell him the jewels were just paste and Cubic Zirconium; that they weren't worth much more than costume jewelry.

"A fella named Sidney Jenkins called. Said he had a million dollars worth of jewelry and wanted 400 hundred thousand for them. Said he'd bring them by my place in a couple of weeks and for me to have the money ready." Calvin shook his head. "Can you imagine that? I'm suppose to just hand over 400 large on his say so. I was born at night but it wasn't last night."

"Sounds like my guy. Know where I can find him?"

"Strange you should come by today. I'm supposed to meet him at Dooley's at 8 PM day after tomorrow; you know the place over on Laclede." I nodded that I knew the bar. "Said he'd have a couple of pieces with him for me to look at."

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,292 Followers