Common Errors Ch. 01

Story Info
Part One of different words that are incorrectly used.
765 words
4.22
239k
21

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 02/13/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,283 Followers

Errors occur every day in the manner in which words are used. Let’s talk about some of the most common.

THEY’RE / THEIR / THEREB

THEY’RE is a contraction, a combination of two words. In this case, the two words areTHEY andARE, a pronoun and a verb.They’re going to the ball game tonight.

THEIR is a pronoun that shows possession.That woman is their mother.

THERE is a word that indicates a place.I live rightthere.

AFFECT / EFFECT

AFFECT is a verb and describes something has an influence on something else.Her choice of coloraffected anyone who wanted to hire her as a designer.

There is also another meaning for it, which is less

EFFECT can be both a noun and a verb. As a noun, an example of its use is this:Theeffect of the colors she used had on everyone was terrible. When used as a verb:By using the colors, she was hoping toeffect a change in the way designers worked.

TO / TOO / TWO

TO is a word that is classified as a preposition and generally indicates some kind of motion.I gave the cigaretteto him orI’m goingto the store are good examples of the proper use of the word.

TOO is another word that means also or in excess of.I,too, want to go to the store orI love hertoo much.

TWO is a word that stands for a number.There aretwo ducks in the pond.

LAY / LIE

LAY is a verb that describes an action and must have an item to which the action is being done to. A good way to think of this verb is that an item is being put down. Other forms of the verb areLAID, HAVE LAID, ARE LAYING andWILL LAY. Some examples are:Ihave laid the keys on the table orHelays his life on the line every day.

LIE is a verb that also describes an action but it doesn’t require an item to be used with it. A good way to think of this verb is that it generally is used meaning to recline. Other forms of the verb areLAY, HAVE LAIN, ARE LYING andWILL LIE. Some examples are:Helay back on the bed orIam lying on the couch right now.

COMPLEMENT / COMPLIMENT

COMPLEMENT is a verb that usually means match, as inThe green in the dresscomplemented the green in her eyes orHer street smartscomplement his book smarts.

COMPLIMENT is a noun or verb that means kind words that is given to someone. Some examples are:Icomplimented the chef on his use of apricots orHercompliments made him feel good.

QUEUE / CUE

QUEUE is a noun or a verb that means a line, as in one that you stand in, or the action of standing in a line. Some examples are:Wequeued up for concert tickets orI froze my ass off while standing in thequeue.

CUE is a noun or a verb that means a specific action or the action of receiving that specific action. Some examples are:When I gave thecue, everyone sang, “Happy Birthday!” orIcued up the song so that it would be ready after the speech. Please also know that the white ball used in billiards is known as the ‘CUE’ ball.

ACCEPT / EXCEPT

ACCEPT is a noun or a verb that means to get or receive something. Some examples are:I willaccept the nomination orHeaccepted the fact that his life was ruined.

EXCEPT is a preposition or a verb that means to exclude. Some examples are:I want all of the tomatoesexcept the green ones orShe wasexcepted from the rest of the group.

DYEING / DYING

DYEING is a noun or a verb that means to add color to something. A few examples:Thedyeing of the eggs is our favorite thing to do during Easter orShe isdyeing my pants to match the shirt.

DYING is a noun or a verb that means to be nearing death or feeling as if a person or thing is nearing death. Some examples:When she told him she was cheating, he felt like he wasdying orHisdying on the bed made her not want to sleep on it. The last example sounds very clumsy and though I have seen it used, I don’t think I would use it.

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,283 Followers