Competition for 'The Top'

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,799 Followers

"Hey, there!" she said as soon as he started to get out of his car. She waved him back in and also asked Sarah to stay up front.

"I don't mind riding in back," she said cheerfully as she buckled up.

Josh noticed the leather case she was carrying and asked, "So what's inside?"

"Well, I decided to make someone's day," Sierra said.

"Oh, my goodness! Do you have a .44 magnum?" Sarah asked excitedly as she turned around.

"Among several other weapons," Sierra said with a laugh.

"Weapons as in more than one?" Josh asked as he looked at in the rearview mirror.

"Is that so hard to believe?" she asked with a smile.

"I think I'm in love!" Josh said causing Sierra to laugh loudly.

"I think I am, too," Sarah said. "Can I shoot it?"

Sierra saw the look her dad gave her and said, "It's not up to me."

"I'll think about it," Josh said.

"Seriously?" Sarah called out knowing that meant he was going to cave.

She reached over and put her arms around him and said, "I love you so much!"

"It kicks like a mule, honey," her dad said as he got ready to back out of the driveway.

"I can handle it!" she told him without hesitation.

"Well, if Sierra's willing to let you fire it..."

"On one condition," Sierra said. "You have to clean it."

"Deal! Total deal!!" Sarah said with so much excitement it made her dad smile with happiness.

An hour later and a total of eight boxes of .44, .45, and 9mm ammo later, the three of them were on the way back to Sierra's where Sarah would spend another hour or so cleaning the monster handgun she'd fallen in love with. (Even though it went against his grain, Josh paid to have his and Sarah's weapons cleaned by someone at the range to save time.)

Sarah talked about it the entire way home and never had to turn around because she'd insisted on sitting in back with Sierra so they could continue talking about shooting 'the canon'.

"I've never met another...female...who loves to shoot," Sarah said at one point.

"Well, now you have," Sierra replied. "As I said at the range, I grew up shooting with my dad, and my husband loved every kind of weapon there was. I did, too, but he was the real gun nut. He loved taking me to gun shows or any kind of live-firing event we could watch down at Fort Lewis or anywhere else for that matter. We once watched an infantry company do a live-fire exercise at night. All those tracer rounds. Talk about impressive!"

"Sounds like my kind of guy," Josh said with another smile.

"You two...no, you...three...would have gotten along very well."

At Sierra's house, Sarah didn't need any help cleaning the canon. She knew pretty much everything there was to know about getting and keeping a weapon clean, and she was happy to do it all herself. She also had an ulterior motive for doing so as it gave Sierra and her dad time to get better acquainted—alone.

When she knew the weapon was perfectly clean, she brought it to Sierra to take a look at it.

"No carbon anywhere. Not even in those hard-to-reach places. Nice work. Someone's been well trained," she said handing the empty piece back to her with a smile.

As Sarah was putting it back in the case and then in the safe Sierra had opened for her, Josh said, "I had more fun today than I've had in years."

"Me, too," Sierra told him. "So did I pass?"

"Excuse me?"

"You said you were pretty good at making your own decisions so...what did you decide?"

"If you mean do I want to see you again, the answer is an unequivocal 'yes'," he told her. "And now it's your turn. Is this where you try and talk me out of it because you're sooo old?"

She smiled then said, "No. I won't try and talk you out of it. I'll just tell you my age so you can politely change your mind."

"Go ahead. I double-dog dare you," Josh said with a smile.

Sierra looked down for a moment then back at him and said, "I'm 55, Josh. So, you see, I really am a lot older than you. I had a wonderful time today, but I know you..."

"Dinner. This week. You and me," he said politely, cutting her off.

"You're serious?" she said not quite sure whether or not he was joking.

"Yes. Very. Are you?"

"Um, well, I mean if you're sure."

"Yes. I am. I'm very sure, Sierra."

"About what?" Sarah asked as she walked back into the living room.

"We're going on a date, honey. Is that okay?" he told his daughter.

Sarah's eyes opened wide followed by a huge smile before she ran over and jumped into her dad's lap and hugged him. Just as quickly she jumped up then more carefully hugged Sierra.

"I think she's okay with it," Josh said smiling at both of them.

"Um, yeah," Sarah said. "Sierra...sorry, Ms. Olsen, is the coolest person I've ever met! Besides my dad, of course."

"Ahh! And that is the nicest thing anyone has said to me in...maybe forever!"

She looked over at Josh and asked, "Is it okay if she calls me by my first name?"

"Sure. That's completely up to you."

"Then it's settled! Call me Sierra, Sarah. And say that three times real fast!"

"Sierra, Sarah. Sierra Sharah. No wait. Shierra, Shaarah...Oh, forget it!" Sarah said as everyone laughed.

"Well, we should probably get going," Josh said a few minutes later.

"Oh, sure. I didn't mean to keep you."

"No, not at all. This was really very nice, Sierra," he told her.

"I agree," she said, her pretty eyes twinkling with happiness. "But I would like to ask you something before you go."

Sarah understood it was private and said, "I'll wait in the foyer, okay?"

"I'll be right there, honey," her dad told her.

"Josh? I really did have a great time..."

"But?"

"Well, I was thinking maybe we should possibly do something say, in a group the first time. You know, to kind of ease back into this...I hate even saying the word...dating thing."

Josh agreed then said, "Like bowling?"

"Okay. Or maybe ask Sarah to come with us?" she offered.

"You know what? I have a recruiter friend who just met someone, and from what he tells me they seem to have hit it off rather well. This would be a first date for them, too, so if they're interested, how would you feel about maybe going out with them?"

"That sounds perfect! Yes, I'd like that very much."

"Okay. I'll check with him on Monday and see how he feels about it and let you know. If not, maybe you could come to our house for lunch or dinner or whatever you're comfortable with."

"That sounds nice, too, Josh. But...one more question, okay?"

"Shoot."

"I believe we already did that," she said trying not to laugh.

Josh laughed heartily for the first time in a very long time, and Sarah, who heard him, was so happy she couldn't stop smiling.

"I know this is just dinner or whatever, but are you really okay with my...well, how old I am, or were you just being nice because my answer scared you so badly you felt sorry for me or obligated to ask me out again or..."

Josh was standing in front of her, and for the first time since Ann was alive, he reached out for a woman's hands. Sierra hadn't had a man try and take hers in over a year and the last man who did so did nothing for her. But when she felt Josh take them, she most definitely felt something; something very pleasant.

"I haven't even really looked at another woman since Annie died, Sierra. And where you're concerned, it's hard not to look and want to keep looking. You're not just incredibly attractive to me, you're a wonderful person I really enjoy being with."

Sierra smiled as he continued talking.

"So, no, you didn't surprise me, and no, I didn't ask you out because I felt sorry for you or whatever you thought, and no, I don't care at all how old you are, because that doesn't matter. I like you, Sierra. Maybe even a lot. Does that answer your question?"

"Yes," she said quietly.

"Then I'll call you soon, okay?"

"Okay," she told him as she looked into his eyes.

"Well, goodbye," he told her before lowering his head and kissing her on the cheek.

"Bye. See you soon," she told him as the pleasant feeling grew very rapidly.

"Yes. Yes, you will," he assured her with a warm smile.

As she closed the door it seemed as though the universe was telling her another kind of door—a metaphorical one—had just closed in her life. The chapter in which her late husband was the main character was over. And it also implied the opening of a new chapter, one in which someone else would play the starring role in her life. No, she could never forget the man she'd loved for so many years, but she now knew her heart was open to loving someone again. And if the way it was beating so quickly right then was any further sign of things to come, the future looked very bright indeed.

As they drove home, Josh glanced over several times and each time he did Sarah was smiling.

"Okay. What's going on?"

"I'm just happy. Can't a girl be happy?" she said, the smile still there.

"Does this have to do with me asking Sierra out again?"

"Um...duh!" she said causing her dad to smile and Sarah to laugh.

"She told me how old she is."

"It doesn't matter to me, so it's only important if it matters to you," Sarah told him.

"No, it doesn't matter at all," he said.

"Okay, then it's no big deal, right?"

Josh didn't answer because there was no need to. He drove for maybe another mile without saying anything then looked back at his daughter and said, "You were right. I am lonely. I have been for a very long time. I just didn't realize how lonely until...today."

"I'm not gonna say 'I told you so'," Sarah said with an unusual bit of smug satisfaction.

"Well, you were, and I'm man enough to admit it," he said before they changed the subject and chatted pleasantly the rest of the way home.

On Monday, he SSgt Cruz was already in the office working the phones when 'the Top' came in.

During a break, Josh said, "How are things going with your school teacher?"

He smiled and said, "Really good, Top. I've got a good feeling about her, you know?"

"Nice. Listen. I'm kind of seeing someone now myself, and I was wondering if maybe you and...what's her first name?"

"Molly."

"Right. How about you and Molly doubling with Sierra and me?"

"Like on a date?"

"No. Not 'like' but actually on a date," Josh said with a smile.

Taking no offense, the young staff sergeant smiled back and said, "Yeah. Sure. Let me check with Molly and I'll let you know. When and where?"

They agreed on the time and place and once SSgt Cruz had a free minute he texted Molly who answered back immediately as she waited for her class to come in.

"Yes! That sounds very nice, Rick," she wrote.

She thought about adding, "This way I can finally say I got to go out with Josh" but didn't. She didn't not only because deep down, she knew Josh Haverty was way out of her league, but because she really liked this rather nice-looking Marine who was both funny and considerate. Molly couldn't help but wonder if perhaps that was the way things were meant to be.

"She's good to go with it, Top," he told the senior recruiter.

"Outstanding! We'll meet you guys there at 1900 on Wednesday."

"Roger that!" Rick said before getting ready to follow up on a 19-year old prospect he'd met over the weekend at a local mall.

It was unusual for Josh to leave work by 1700, or 5pm, but he was free to come and go as long as he and the RS were making mission (their monthly quota), and he and his recruiters had never failed to so, so he didn't feel guilty leaving a little early.

Sarah hadn't seen her dad dressed up so nicely in civilian clothes before and she told him how nice he looked.

"Wow! You really are hot, Dad!" she said as she admired the very nice-looking, dark-gray slacks, the black shoes, and the dark-blue shirt he was wearing and the black jacket.

"You really think so?" he asked.

"Oh, yeah. You're gonna be a big hit tonight. Now go. Have fun!" she told him before giving him a hug.

"Text me. Every hour, okay?" he said.

"Dad!" she protested knowing she would.

He'd thought Sierra looked incredible when she took Sarah and him to lunch, but he was dumbstruck when he saw her that evening.

"Wow and...wow!" he said when she let him in.

Sierra was wearing an off-the-shoulder, black knit dress that hugged her very toned body like a soft glove. In the heels she was wearing with it, she was within two inches of being as tall as her date, and Josh couldn't decide what looked better: her shapely legs, her firm derriere, her amazing 'upper body', her gorgeous face, or her soft, beautiful hair.

"You look very nice yourself," she told him.

"I feel like I should be wearing a tux," he replied.

Sierra laughed and said, "You look fine."

She smiled then said, "And I mean 'fine' in both senses of the word."

On the way to the restaurant, an even nicer one than they'd gone to for lunch, they were discussing the Toys for Tots program when Sierra said, "I keep forgetting to ask you which school you're working with."

"Oh, it's Sarah's," he told her still not answering her question.

"Puget Sound Academy. Have you heard of it?"

Sierra stopped smiling then said, "Oh. Okay. My...daughter is a teacher there."

Her voice was almost hollow as she said that causing Josh to ask if there was something she wanted to say.

"No. Not really. It's just that we had a falling out when her father died."

She turned to Josh then told him, "He never adopted her because my first husband—we were only married for two years—was a friend of his. Don't worry. There wasn't any infidelity. I left him and met her father...well, legally her step-father, a term we never used...a year later."

Josh sensed there was more to it so he sat quietly and waited.

"My husband. My late-husband, Robert, wanted to be cremated. It wasn't something we ever discussed with our daughter, so when he passed away very suddenly from a heart attack, our daughter wanted him to be buried so she could view him before the funeral. I told her her dad was very specific about his request, but she felt like I was denying her a last chance to say goodbye. She was so upset about it she didn't speak to me during the memorial service, and we've barely spoken since."

"I can only imagine how hard that's been," Josh said quietly.

"It feels like I lost her that day, too," she replied just as quietly.

She looked over at Josh then asked, "This teacher, the one going out with your friend tonight. Her name isn't Molly, is it?"

Josh bit his lip then said, "Um, yes. Yes, it is. Molly..."

"Quinn?"

"Do you want me to call and cancel?" he asked.

"No. Don't do that. But if things are too strained, we may need to leave early, okay? I don't want to ruin their evening if, you know..."

Josh reached over for her hand and after looking at him, she gave it to him.

"I love how you always put others need ahead of yourself, but no matter what happens, I'll be there for you, Sierra. We'll get through this together, okay?"

She nodded but didn't speak as Josh gently squeezed her small hand.

As they walked in, both of them saw Molly sitting at a table with a man Josh recognized but Sierra didn't. Both of them were laughing and obviously having a good time.

When the hostess led them to their table, Rick looked up and smiled. Molly did, too, at first, and then the smile disappeared.

"Hello, Molly," her mom said.

"What...what's going on here?" she asked looking at Josh then at Rick and finally back at her mother.

"May we sit down?" Josh asked without answering her question.

"Top? Is there a problem?" Rick asked him.

Josh helped Sierra sit down then said, "I hope not."

"That woman is my mother," Molly said coldly.

Rick sat there, his eyes open wide, not knowing what to say.

"Molly, I had no idea until just a few minutes ago. Honestly, I..."

"Save it, Mother," she said.

It was deathly quiet for a few seconds before Josh said, "Why don't we all have a drink and see if we can find a way to have an enjoyable evening together."

Molly glared at her mom and didn't reply.

"I'm game," Sierra said.

"Me, too," Rick chimed in.

"Fine," Molly said just as coldly.

The conversation was very limited as they sipped their drinks.

Sierra finally spoke as the tension continued to build.

"Molly? I am so, so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I miss having you in my life, and I'd do anything to change this."

Molly didn't answer. Instead, she turned to Josh and said, "When your wife passed away, can you imagine not being able to say goodbye to her at the funeral?"

"No," he said quietly and honestly.

"That's exactly what she did with my dad. He may not have actually been my father, but I was closer to him than I was with my own biological father. And she had him cremated knowing how much that would hurt me!"

Josh waited a moment then quietly said, "Molly? I'm not taking sides here. I don't know all the details. But having watched the woman I loved more than anything on earth quite literally wither away in front of my eyes nearly killed me. If not for Sarah, I'm not sure I could have gone on living. But I can tell you I am so thankful I did, and it's because of the relationship I have with my daughter."

He looked at Sierra who had tears welling up in her eyes before looking back at her daughter.

"I haven't known your mother very long, but I know how much she loves you and how badly she misses you. And if that's anything like what I have with Sarah, I'd almost rather die than live without it. So if there's any way to get passed this, can you please try and give your mom a second chance? I have to believe your heart is breaking, too, and again, without taking sides, if pride is keeping you two from talking, well, please put it aside and don't waste another day like this."

Rick had no idea what to say as now Molly was also tearing up.

"It...it just hurt me so bad!" she said as she reached for a linen napkin.

"Oh, honey. You know I didn't mean to hurt you. I loved your dad with all my heart. And...and I love you that much, too. I was in an impossible situation having promised your dad I'd respect his wishes. We should have discussed when he was still alive, but, well, we didn't and am so sorry!"

Molly was crying as her mom stood up and moved around Josh's chair to be next to her. He immediately got up, pushed his chair next to Molly then helped Sierra sit down.

"Can you ever forgive me, sweetheart?" Sierra asked as tears streamed down her cheeks, too.

"I...hate...not having you...in my life," Molly said, barely able to speak.

"Me, too, honey. Me, too," Sierra said as she reached out to hug her. "Me, too."

When she did, the dam burst and Molly cried so hard her body shook.

"Mom? I'm...I'm sorry. I'm so sorry!"

"So am I, angel. I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you."

Molly tried to take a couple of deep breaths before saying, "I know that's what Daddy wanted, but he never told me that! And when he died, I had no idea that's what he wanted, and I just wanted to say goodbye!"

Molly began crying again as Josh and Rick looked on, helpless to do anything.

"Come on. We need to fix our faces," Sierra finally said as she cradled her daughter's face in the crook of her neck.

The two women stood up, and as they got ready to go to the ladies' room, Molly said to Josh, "You were right. It was all a matter of pride. Thank you, Josh."

She looked over at Rick then back at Josh and said, "And thank you for introducing me to Rick."

She smiled at him then said, "He's a really great guy."

Once they were out of sight, Rick said, "Strangest date ever?"

"No doubt about it."

"Strange but nice, you know?"

"I do," Josh told him. "If this is what it took to patch things up then the drama was well worth it. I know how I'd feel if my daughter and I had a misunderstanding or just grew apart."

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,799 Followers