Compromise

Story Info
How far would he go to marry his love?
20.4k words
4.61
34.9k
34
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Joseph Hart had just arrived at the luggage pickup area of the Port Orion airport. It wasn't that late, but he always got tired when he traveled by plane. He was anxious to get a rental car, check into his hotel room, and lie down to rest for awhile. He was planning a leisurely dinner and possibly some lounging outside the hotel restaurant that supposedly had an excellent view of the ocean.

He was in Port Orion on business. Tomorrow, he would be meeting the matriarch of the Gillihan Family, Loretta Gillihan. After talking to one of his college professors, Mrs. Gillihan contacted him about the opportunity for him to write the history of the Hope House. The Hope House is a home for girls that have been abandoned or orphaned. It had a long and distinguished history and the Gillihans have always had a big part in its development.

As he was reaching for his bag, he heard a voice behind him, "Mr. Hart?" Even before he turned to acknowledge the salutation, he guessed from the lyrical quality of the sound, the voice would fit a pretty lady. When he turned to greet her, he realized how right he was. Standing in front of him was a gorgeous young woman with a bright smile on her face. He was stunned by her beauty and her smile. In his mind, he was looking at the perfect woman. He kept staring with a goofy smile until he had finally recovered enough to answer when the woman repeated her question.

"Mr. Hart?"

"Yes ma'am, that's me, Joseph Hart," he stuttered with the tone of a star struck schoolboy.

She giggled at his nervousness and reached out her hand. "Mr. Hart, I'm Laura Gillihan, and I'll be your guide during your visit here if that's okay."

Joseph regrouped as he set down his newly recovered luggage. He was usually not affected by attractive women like that, but she had caught him by surprise. He knew from his quick research of the Gillihans, Laura was the youngest of 5 daughters. After composing himself, he extended his hand and said, "Nice to meet you Ms. Gillihan, my friends call me Joey."

"It's nice to meet you too Joey, please call me Laura. If you have all of your luggage, I'll show you to your car, and we'll get you checked into the hotel."

Joey was a bit confused but smiled when he said, "I didn't think I would be met by anyone until tomorrow at the house, but I'm glad you're here. So what exactly is the guide's responsibility in this adventure?"

As they walked towards the airport exit, she smiled and said, "My duties are to get you settled in and comfortable so that tomorrow you can be alert and ready when you talk to my mother. If everything goes well while you are here, I will be your guide around the area and answer any questions you may have. We hadn't planned to greet you at the airport, but I take my duties quite seriously."

While driving to the hotel, Joey thought about how lucky he was to be offered this opportunity. A twenty-two year old recent college graduate who was confident but shy, he had still never "been" with a girl other than a polite kiss or some hand holding during an evening date. He also felt quite fortunate that he had been assigned such a beautiful guide. He knew that his writing professor at college had taken a liking to him and mentored him throughout his creative writing degree. When Loretta Gillihan had contacted her friend and his professor, Dr. Elizabeth Knight, she was told that she was looking for a fresh face that knew nothing about the girl's home. She wanted to avoid any bias and wanted a fair perspective of the Hope House. Joey suspected that his parentless upbringing had something to do with it too. Dr. Knight had called Mrs. Gillihan and recommended Joey and tomorrow's appointment was set.

With Joey driving towards the hotel, Laura sat in the passenger side of the nice rental car and pointed out some of the area's landscape. "I love the view of the ocean that Port Orion offers. Our sunsets are spectacular, and I have a favorite spot I just might share with you."

"That does sound nice. I think I'd like that... professionally of course as a writer with his beautiful guide."

Laura smiled as she looked over at him and gave his arm a quick rub. Her touch was only about a second long, but he felt a tingle spreading through his arm all the way down to his toes. She then reached up and stroked his long hair in its ponytail. "I love your hair," she said. "It's a nice long length and so soft."

"I suppose that's my attempt to look like a writer," he answered. "Am I overdoing it?"

"Not at all," she said. "I like it just the way it is. And yes it does give you a writer's look."

When they arrived at the hotel, Joey checked in at the reception desk with Laura at his side. The pretty hotel clerk smiled as she handed Joey a paper to sign and said, "How many nights will you be staying with us Mr. Hart?"

Before he could answer, Laura spoke up and answered for him, "Two nights please." She looked over at Joey's confused face and said, "If all goes well with your meeting tomorrow, you will stay here for the first two nights and then we'll move you into the visitor's villa on the family property. It will be closer to all the research you will need to do for your writing."

After checking out his room and throwing his bag on the bed, Joey looked at Laura with a smirk and asked, "What's next Ms. Gillihan?"

She returned his smirk with a smile, "Enjoy a nice dinner at the hotel restaurant and get a good night's sleep. In the morning grab some breakfast, and I'll pick you up out front at nine. Then we'll go and meet with mother. Dress casually and try not to be too nervous. She is actually quite enthused about your presence here."

"Thanks for all your help Laura. I'm honored to have you as a guide. I'll see you tomorrow at nine."

"Good night Joey, sweet dreams."

After Laura had left, Joey unpacked his bag and went downstairs for an early dinner. When he returned to his room, it was still rather early, and he was no longer very tired. He turned on the in-room television, but his mind was wandering. He found himself nervous but very excited about the upcoming meeting with Mrs. Gillihan and especially excited about being around Laura. Eventually he fell asleep and slept very soundly.

The next morning, Joey was up early and ate a quick breakfast. He sat in the lobby reading the local paper and realized he was half an hour early. He was full of nervous energy and anticipation. A couple minutes before nine, Laura drove up to the lobby entrance, smiled, and waved at Joey through the glass window. She was wearing a light summer dress with her hair gathered up in a ponytail. If anything, Joey thought she looked even more beautiful than last night, and that said a lot.

Laura smiled as Joey slipped into the passenger seat of her small but stylish car. "Good morning Joey, ready for your busy day?"

"I'm kind of nervous, but your presence seems to have a calming effect on me. You look great this morning." He flushed a bit and looked down at his hands because he didn't want her to think of him as a teenage boy with a crush. She had noticed and smiled as she started the drive to the family home. She too was a bit smitten by the attention and personality of her new friend.

As they drove through the gate and through the property, Laura pointed out her four sisters' houses and the land that was reserved for her. The main house was back near the ocean front. They pulled up into a huge parking area in front of a huge house. He knew that the Gillihans were quite wealthy, but he was still star struck by the size and design of the mansion.

"Wow," he said as he got out of the car and looked up at the height of the top floors.

Laura came alongside and put her arm through his to guide him to the front door. "It is quite big, but most of it is quite cozy. I'm sure I'll be able to show you around this afternoon." She smiled at him as they reached the front door and he walked along with his mouth open and his eyes wide with amazement. She said, "Okay, close your mouth and put your eyeballs back in. You'll get used to everything when you're here long enough."

Joey realized what a picture he was and blushed again. "Sorry," he said as he bashfully looked at her smiling face.

"It's okay Joey. It is quite big for anyone who hasn't been here before. Besides, you're cute when you drool in wonder."

Joey quickly put his hand up to his mouth to wipe off his spit and he heard Laura laugh. "I was just kidding, except for the cute part that is." He blushed again.

Once inside, they were met by a young lady who had Laura's features. She walked right up and gave Laura a big hug. "It's been a little while sis. I haven't had much chance to visit for a few days." Stepping back, she looked at Joey and said, "So, who's your boyfriend?"

Laura smiled and replied, "Joey, this is my sister Lenora, she's the oldest of the 5 Gillihan sisters." Grabbing Joey's arm she introduced him to her, "Lenora, this is Joseph Hart. He's here to talk to mother about writing the history of the Hope House. I'm his guide and his girlfriend while he's here."

She smiled and nudged Joey's side as Joey blushed and wondered how much he should take from those comments. He certainly wouldn't mind being her boyfriend, but knew that she was probably just kidding around with her sister.

Lenora offered Joey her hand and said, "Nice to meet you Joseph. I've heard mother talk about that project. She said you come highly recommended."

He took her hand and bowed politely, "It's my pleasure ma'am, please call me Joey."

Lenora glanced at her sister and smiled, "Oooh, polite too. He might be a keeper."

Laura lightly punched Lenora's arm and said with a smile, "You leave him alone girl, he's mine. Do you know where mother is?"

"She's in her office. She told me to tell you to come there if I saw you." As Lenora walked away, she glanced back at Joey and said, "Good luck Joey. Hope to see you around soon."

Laura started to lead Joey to Mrs. Gillihan's office. "Just be yourself and talk to her honestly. You're going to do fine."

He replied nervously and said, "Will you be in the interview with us Laura?"

"I think so, but you never know with mother. She may want to talk to you alone or she may want to talk to both of us since I will be showing you around."

They walked down the hallway and passed by several doors until they reached an elegant wooden double door. Laura immediately knocked, and they were greeted by a strong female voice. "Come in Laura!" When they entered her office, she had already started to cross the room towards them. She walked straight over to Laura and gave her a hug and then backed up a couple of steps and offered Joey her hand. "It's very nice to finally meet you Joseph. Elizabeth thinks the world of you and said you were her best student ever. I hope your trip here went well."

"Thank you ma'am, it's very nice to meet you too. Dr. Knight tells me that you are her best friend, and she couldn't stop praising you when we were talking about the project."

"Elizabeth is a sweetie. She's been a great friend for a very long time. How much did she tell you about the project?"

Joey was getting more and more comfortable in Mrs. Gillihan's company. She was very pleasant to talk to and Laura's presence was reassuring. "Actually, not much at all ma'am. I know that you want to document the history of the "Hope House for Girls". She did say that it has been a special institution with your family for a very long time."

"I tell you what Joseph, let's go and take a look at the Home and we can talk about the project while we are out. I have a car and driver ready out front. What do you think Laura, is that a good idea?"

Laura knew that her mother wasn't really asking her opinion, but she was pleased that she was included in the conversation. "I think that would be a perfect idea mother. Joey can get an idea of how the Home is setup, and I can show him the best view of the sunset in the area."

The drive to the Hope House was quick, but they were able to talk a little bit about its history. When Laura pointed out the building and grounds to Joey, he was a bit confused when the driver made a left turn and seemed to go around and behind the Home. When they got out of the car, they were faced with a slope that had steps running up to the top.

As they were climbing to the top, Laura said, "We're not able to get into the grounds or the building right now. At least you aren't. No males are allowed."

Ms. Gillihan added, "That is a long standing rule. Tradition is very important to our family. Over the years, the Board of Directors has agreed that this policy would remain a rule of the Home."

Joey was disappointed that he wouldn't be able to see the Home from the inside and interact with the girls there, but he was distracted back to reality when they reached the top of the hill. The top of the hill was a large flat surface that allowed plenty of room for its benches. He was able to look down and see the beautiful building and grounds that included a large play area with numerous well kept play sets and swings. Joey couldn't help but smile when he saw the energy and happiness of the girls in the area. There were girls of all ages running around and their smiles and laughter made it apparent they were happy to be there. Several adults were supervising and working in the area and were smiling and laughing right along with the girls.

The other sides of the building were surrounded by a well kept tree line which opened up in front to allow an entranceway to the Home. No vehicles were allowed to park inside the area. Parking was designated out front beyond the trees. The one strange thing that Joey noticed was that the benches on the hill were facing away from the Hope House.

Laura noticed his confusion, took him by the arm, and turned him completely around. From this viewpoint and from this angle, a wide view of the ocean was spread out in front of them. "This is my most favorite place. I come here a lot just before the sun goes down. This is where I told you that the sunsets are incredible. I feel so at peace here with the beautiful sunset on one side and the positive energy of the girls on the other."

Joey understood her meaning. "Even though I am not allowed down there with the girls, is it okay if I come up here at times to watch the sunset too? I can see and feel why this is your special place."

Mrs. Gillihan spoke up, "Of course you are welcome up here Joseph. This is a private spot and not everyone is allowed, but I'll have security put you on the approved list. And we might even have a way for you to visit the Home and the girls."

Joey perked up with excitement and said, "That would be great Mrs. Gillihan, but I'm not a woman, and you said only women are allowed down there."

Laura smiled at Joey and put her arm through his. Mrs. Gillihan turned to face the Home and continued talking to Joey, "See the lady in the light blue dress pushing the girls on the merry-go-round? And see the lady in the yellow dress and apron passing out drinks to the girls?" She looked around at Joey staring down on the Home as he nodded his head. "The lady in blue is Robert. He is my daughter Lucy's husband. The lady in the apron is Steven. He is married to Lenora who I think you've already met. My family has always been a big supporter of the Home and my daughters and their husbands really enjoy their time here with the girls. As you can see, the husbands are dressed as women in order to participate. They act as handy-women and they love to play and be with all the girls. My guess is that their wives are inside reading books to the girls or maybe preparing snacks and drinks. I doubt you'll see a day where you won't see one of my girls and their husbands visiting the Home."

"They look great from here Mrs. Gillihan. If you hadn't told me who they were, I would have never known they were men. But I don't think I would make a very good woman. I've never done that kind of thing before."

Laura turned him to face her and said, "Those guys never did it before they came here either, but they look real enough now, just like you said. You won't have to do it on your own. I'll help with the look. When we're done, if you look in the mirror and aren't convinced you will pass as a woman, you can say no and we'll stop and no one will be mad or disappointed. I think you are quite handsome anyway and with the right touches, you'll be very passable as a female. Think of it as a costume party."

Mrs. Gillihan said, "Let's shoot for tomorrow night then. That will give you and Laura all day tomorrow to get your "costume" ready. If it doesn't work out, that's okay too. Since today is almost gone and tomorrow I'll be out of town anyway, let's plan on getting together on Friday to hash out the details of our project. That will give you time to possibly meet the girls and think about if you still want to write their story."

On the way back to the Gillihan house, Laura asked Joey if he wanted to come back this evening to enjoy the sunset and Joey quickly agreed. When they arrived at the house and he was alone with Laura, he nervously asked her if she wanted to have dinner together after the sunset. She told him, "Absolutely! You're not getting rid of me that easily. In fact, let's go get lunch, and I can show you downtown Port Orion."

Downtown was small, but quaint. There was a public parking lot from which you could walk through the downtown and its many shops, boutiques, and eateries. Laura led Joey to a deli that was several blocks from the parking area. When they had finished with lunch, they leisurely strolled down the cobblestone area between the shops. Laura took his hand and gave Joey a smile. He smiled back and thought again how lucky he was. He had a great opportunity to write and was holding hands with the most beautiful woman he had ever met. He realized that even though he had known Laura for only a couple of days, he had fallen in love for the first time in his life.

They walked and window shopped and Laura pointed out the local attractions. Eventually, Laura stopped and went into a small women's clothing boutique. She explained how this was her favorite shop for dresses and skirts and blouses. Joey listened intently as she oohed and ahhed over the clothing and he made a mental note of her preferences for possible gifts he could get for her.

They continued their leisurely stroll until Laura guided them into a shoe store. "The villa has a lot of clothes for visiting men and women and we should have plenty to choose from when I get to dress you up. Your hair is long enough and we may or may not fluff out the ponytail. You do need a comfortable pair of shoes in your size and maybe a little makeup that matches your skin color and covers your manly features."

Joey was apprehensive when he glanced over at Laura when they were in the shoe store alcove. "Let's not spend too much money Laura. I really don't think I'll make for a passable woman, no matter how hard you try."

"I disagree sweetie. I think you're underestimating my fashion talent and how handsome you really are." She reached up to his face with both hands, and he was mesmerized by her beautiful eyes. "Remember, when I am done with you, if you don't think you'll pass, you just say so and we'll stop. You have to believe me when I tell you that I would never do anything to embarrass or hurt my new boyfriend." She leaned up and gently pulled his face towards her. They're kiss was soft and loving, not a quick peck and not a tongue twister, but the intent was apparent.

At that moment, Joey would have done anything for Laura. Joey followed her into the store, still holding her hand. "We won't worry about higher heels right now. These sandals with two inch heels should be fine and will allow you to walk around the grounds in comfort." He didn't even notice the reference to the heels and he quickly agreed to the shoes she had held up. He was sized properly, and he carried the bag when they walked out with their purchase.