Consequences

Story Info
There's always a cost to be paid.
3.6k words
3.98
36.8k
18
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bebop3
Bebop3
2,353 Followers

I wanted to experiment with writing an effective one page story that's nonlinear. Well, I failed on the brevity, and I guess you'll let me know how the nonlinear writing went over. This is a very short story and fairly dark. I hope you'll find that it was worth your time. Thanks for reading.

* * * * *

ELEVEN MONTHS AGO

Johnathan pulled into the driveway with guarded optimism. Things had been more difficult with his grandson than he'd anticipated. He shouldn't have been surprised, Peter loves his grandmother. He always had. The sad thing is that his grandson's relationship with him had always been stronger than that with Elise. They would bounce back. It was done, they can't change things, and his daughter and son-in-law had moved on. Things weren't the same, but they were better than they had been in a while.

He knocked on the door and waited a moment in the cold before his daughter opened it, welcomed him in and gave him a hug.

"Merry Christmas, Dad."

He kissed the top of her head. "Thanks, honey. Bill, can you give me a hand with some packages?"

His son-in-law joined him as they went out to the trunk of the car.

"Where's Peter?" It was always Peter, never Pete.

"Over at his girlfriends. You know how it is. I think he got her some earrings and a necklace. He should be back for dinner." The frozen air was rising in plumes as they spoke.

As they enjoyed some hors d'oeuvres, Mia answered her phone while her husband and father talked in the living room. They could hear her side of the conversation.

"No, you're having dinner here... Peter, it's Christmas. You're having dinner with your family... Don't... If you're not here by five..." She turned to them with a stunned expression. "He hung up on me."

Bill glanced uncomfortably at his father-in-law and then his wife. "Let's just give him some time. I'm sure he'll be here later."

Peter walked through the door as they were enjoying coffee and cookies, dinner long since gone. His mother went up to her son, hugged him and whispered in his ear.

"Don't you ever hang-up on me. Ever. Do you understand me?"

"Sorry, Mom."

She stepped back. "Go say hello to your grandfather."

"Merry Christmas, Peter!"

"Thank you." His reply was cold and brief.

They sat down and Bill brought everyone hot chocolate with something extra added for the adults.

"Dad, this is from Bill, Peter and I. Merry Christmas." She handed him a large, gaily wrapped gift.

"It's not from me." Peter announced. "I had nothing to do with it."

"Peter -" His mother started.

"No, Mia, it's fine." Johnathan opened his present and thanked them before passing his own out. Peter's lay in front of him, unopened.

"Peter, open your gifts." His mother held her camera, ready for him to rip open his presents.

"No, thank you."

"What do you mean 'no thank you', Peter?" Bill replied, clearly irritated.

"I don't want them. I don't want anything from him. He can take them home, he can throw them out. I don't care. They're not mine."

His grandfather spoke quietly. "Okay. You don't have to open them now. I know... I know that this has been difficult, for everyone. There's a laptop in there. For college. Take it when you need it."

"I'm not going to college."

"What?" His father exclaimed. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Not in the fall semester anyway. I'll be working at McAllisters this summer and fall to pay for the spring semester."

"What happened to your college fund? You've been saving up for four years." Mia was perplexed.

"It's gone. I spent it."

"Are you out of your mind? What did you spend it on? What could someone your age blow that kind of money on?"

"An investigator. It's amazing what you can pay for online."

His father stared at him for a second before speaking. "Like a PI? What the hell did you need a detective for?

Peter looked at his feet as he clenched his fists. "It didn't matter who explained it and it didn't matter that he didn't deny it. I just couldn't believe what people were saying. I knew that there had to be a mistake."

They could hear the pain in his voice.

"The man who taught me how to hunt. The man that I would call when I couldn't talk to my parents. My grandfather. He couldn't have done this. It was all a big fucking mistake and everyone would understand once they saw that. There was no way my grandfather would cheat on Gramma. She had cancer! What sort of monster would do that? There was no way he would leave her for some fucking slut."

Mia had her hand over her mouth as tears started welling in her eyes.

"I was going to show everyone how my grandfather would never be that person. So, I hired someone that would prove that he didn't, he couldn't do what they said. The joke's on me. Keep your fucking presents. Want to give me a present? Get out and don't come back."

* * * * *

THIRTY-EIGHT YEARS AGO

The glass and distance that separated him from Mia did nothing to mitigate the spell she had cast on him. The room had other babies, but none were as beautiful as his. He knew that he couldn't be objective but he also knew, somewhere deep in his soul, that he was right. She was the most perfect baby ever born.

Johnathan had just left the small room where he had been holding her and stopped when he saw the nurse putting her in her little bed. Now he was stuck watching her through the glass. Was it a bed? Did they call it a crib? He wasn't sure and the fleeting thought fell from his mind as he stared at her. Johnathan's life had changed when he first held her. If there were a need, he would die for Mia. No questions asked. The change in him had been profound and unexpected.

Finally pulling himself from his reverie, he made his way to Elise's room. It hadn't been an easy pregnancy. They had lost three children before. Neither of them would call their children fetuses. Her doctors had suggested that it would be too risky to her health to try again. She hadn't even consider their advice. Elise was determined to give him a child.

They knew now that Mia would be their only child and she would be showered with all of the love that that they had.

* * * * *

SIX YEARS AGO

"I'm glad that you called, Peter. Does your dad know we're talking?"

"No."

"Okay, let's keep this between us. So, here's the most important thing to know. She's going to be as nervous as you are, but won't let you see it. Girls are a little more mature than boys at your age but a first date is always important. Are you going out as a group?"

"Yeah, we're going to see a movie at the mall and then hang-out at the food court."

"That's great. No pressure. Other kids will be with you and you're doing something you've done a thousand times before. You'll be fine. Do you have the money I gave you last month?"

"Uh-huh."

"Okay, take that with you regardless of how much your parents give you. I'll replace it when I see you. You pay for everything that she wants, both at the movies and at the food court but here's the thing, you need to buy her friends a big tub of popcorn. Her friends are key. Be polite, buy them some popcorn, laugh at their jokes but make sure you pay more attention to her than her friends."

"Okay, thanks Grandpa."

"No problem, buddy. You're going to kill it. Call me and let me know how it goes."

"Grandpa, don't tell Grandma, okay?"

"Never. It's strictly a guy thing. You got this, champ."

He smiled as he hung up the phone.

* * * * *

FOUR MONTHS AGO

Johnathan stood tentatively behind everyone else at his grandson's graduation party. Peter wouldn't take it, so he had given his parents the money to pay for his first semester of college. Mia told him she had to rescue her son's Christmas gifts from the garbage. Johnathan waited until there was no one around to approach Peter, envelope in hand.

"Congratulations Peter." He extended the envelope towards his grandson who looked incredulous and made no effort to take it. Johnathan paused for a moment. "Look, sometimes things change between people. I was married to your grandmother for almost forty years. People can, I don't know, grow apart. Find new things that they never expected. I'm not explaining this right but you'll understand when you're older."

Peter looked insulted and responded with a tight, controlled voice. "Understand when I'm older? I'm not seven. That shit doesn't work any more. I understand right now. You wanted some strange and you found it. It didn't matter to you that your wife, my grandmother, was fighting for her life. It didn't matter that she had always been faithful to you. You had an opportunity to get some ass and you took it. Fuck you. Fuck your envelope. My parents may have invited you but I don't want you here."

"Do you hate me that much, Peter? You can't forgive me?"

"I don't hate you. I don't love you. I don't feel anything for you. You're a gray, dead memory. Now I'm just waiting."

"For an apology?"

"No, you don't owe me an apology. I'm waiting for your new wife to fuck some other guy. She cheated on her husband with you when your wife was undergoing chemo. Why on earth would you think she wouldn't cheat on you? You think that you're in love and that would never happen? That's what Gramma thought. Look what it got her. Think about it. Your wife did it before, she'll do it again."

* * * * *

EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO

"Hey, Bill! Got room for a fourth?"

They had been friends and golf partners for more than two decades. Johnathan stood on the man's porch with a bag of a dozen bagels in his left hand and his right extended. His friend shook it, stepped out onto the porch and closed the door behind him.

"Johnathan. How are you?"

"Good. I'm in town for the day seeing Mia and I thought we could get out on the links."

"I uh, wish you had called. Listen, this is difficult to say. Uh, Miranda's really tight with Elise. You know that. She's pretty upset with everything. Golf might not be the best idea. Why don't I give you a call in a few months when things calm down?"

"Oh, sure. Sure. I should have called. Didn't mean to put you in a bad spot. Here, take the bagels. They're from Harvey's."

"Okay, thanks. I'm sorry about this. I'll give you a call."

They both knew that he wouldn't.

* * * * *

TWELVE YEARS AGO

"Dad, I can go!" Peter's plea had been growing stronger every time Johnathan and his son-in-law went hunting. "I promise, I'll be good. I'll stay quiet."

"Peter, we've talked about this. You'll come with us when you're twelve. You're just too young. It's not a question of being good. I know that you'll be good. Some things just aren't for people your age."

Johnathan interrupted. "Peter, we have a few minutes before we leave, why don't we have a beer out on the porch?"

Bill appreciated the rapport his father-in-law had with Peter and let them talk as he finished loading up the truck. The seven-year-old met his grandfather on the deck, handed him the Budweiser and keeping the Barq's root beer.

"I know that you want to come with us and we're going to take you just as soon as you're ready but that's still going to be a while from now. You know that, right champ?"

"Yeah, I know."

"So, why do your father and I go hunting?"

"For food."

"Why do we shoot animals?"

"If they're a danger or if we will use the meat."

"Yup. And who do we hate?"

"People who kill animals 'cause they like killing."

"Why?"

"Cause they're dicks."

"That's absolutely right and don't ever use that word around anyone else. You're a good boy, Peter. I'm proud of you and I can't wait until you come with us, but you have to wait."

"Okay, Grandpa."

He tousled Peters hair and they went back inside after they were finished with their beers.

* * * * *

TWENTY-NINE YEARS AGO

He hadn't heard her enter the room and didn't know she was there until he felt her hands on his shoulders. Stacks of his resume sat on the desk and he was working on another cover letter. He reached up and placed his hand over hers.

"I'm so sorry, Elise."

"Well, you should be. How dare you not stop the factory from going under? We both know the economy is completely your fault, you bastard." Her gentle sarcasm warmed him.

He knew exactly what smile graced her face without having to look up at her. She had been his rock. Johnathan's parents had given them some money and hers had covered two of their mortgage payments. He felt like a failure.

She leaned over, kissed him and held his face between her hands.

"Listen to me, Johnathan. You're a good man and things are going to turn around soon. You have a wife and daughter that adore you. I spoke to Alicia and I can pick up some more hours. Starting next week I'll be working on Saturdays. In a few years this is going to be a distant memory. You've always been a wonderful provider. You're my husband and my love. I believe in you."

She stood and walked out, calling over her shoulder. "Come to bed soon. I want to show you exactly how much I love you."

* * * * *

TWO MONTHS AGO

The silence in the car was oppressive. It was a miasma that stifled thought and suppressed emotion. Johnathan focused on the road as he continued driving. When they were entering the grounds for the airport he finally spoke.

"What terminal, Peter?"

"Three. Domestic."

"Okay. I understand that your mother pushed you into letting me drive you. I'm aware of how you feel, but thanks. If nothing else, it's good to see you again. I'll see you at Christmas. You have enough cash for your trip?"

"You going to Florida?"

"Why? What's in Florida?"

"Mom and Dad are moving down there by the end of the month."

"I... they didn't say anything about that. Why would they move to Florida?"

"Dad can't do any traveling for business anymore, so if he wants to keep his seniority he has to transfer to the corporate headquarters."

"Is he okay? Why can't he travel?"

"Mom quietly freaks out. Dad finally realized that whenever he's gone for more than a day she thinks he's going to be cheating on her. They wanted to save their marriage."

Peter got out at his terminal. When the airport employee tapped on his window and motioned for him to move on, Johnathan lifted his head from the steering wheel, wiped away his tears and drove home.

* * * * *

THREE YEARS AGO

They met at the hospital. She was a volunteer and spent part of her day manning the cash register at the gift shop. He would come in, get his newspaper and pick up a card. It was the same ritual every day. A different card every time. After a while they started chatting. Inconsequential topics. The weather, something on the news, the cafeteria food.

The first time they spoke outside of the gift shop was when she sat next to him on a bench near the hospital doors. It was a beautiful day and he was writing in one of those cards.

"Hey, handsome." She said with a smile. "How's Elise?"

He looked up with a sad smile. "Okay. Everything seems to be moving the way the doctors say it should. How are you, Margaret?"

"Fine. Getting ready to start my day. What are you always writing in those cards?"

"Quotes from Maya Angelou. Elise loves her."

"That's so sweet, Hon." She rested her hand on his. "She's lucky to have you. See you tomorrow."

The next week she found him in the cafeteria.

"Hey, stranger. This seat taken?"

"Margaret. Morning. Sit down, please." He folded up his newspaper as she joined him.

They both enjoyed their breakfasts as they discussed hobbies and their children. She was five years younger than him and had two sons. Margaret had been divorced for more than a decade.

A week later they had lunch at Old Baja, a Mexican restaurant near the hospital. They had bumped into each other as they were leaving the hospital and decided to grab something to eat. She was unflagging in her support and concern for Elise and he appreciated her thoughtfulness. It was fortuitous that they ran into each other. As beautiful and kind as she was, he knew that she must have a busy social calendar.

Lunch soon became a regular occasion. She enjoyed trying new places with him and he enjoyed the brief respite from his day. Johnathan realized that he had been slipping into depression and it was as if their lunches were a lifeline. Mia thought that he should see a counselor and he would if things got worse.

At her prodding, he joined Margaret for her evening walk around the huge town park near the hospital. She explained that he needed the exercise and that it would help fight off his feelings of melancholy and sadness. They started going to the juice bar after their walks.

The first time that they were intimate he had Mia take her mother for treatment the next day. He spent his time vomiting and castigating himself. It didn't stop him from going back.

* * * * *

TODAY

He stood there, ticket in hand, staring at the gate. It was impossible for him to put one foot in front of the other. His cowardice cut him to the bone but he couldn't stand their unmentioned contempt. He just couldn't do it any longer. They wouldn't miss him. Peter hated him. Bill hated what he did to Mia. His daughter loved him but she lost all respect that she had for her father. He'd call and tell them that an emergency came up and he would reschedule.

The traffic heading home would be annoying but it would lessen the further he got from the airport. Leaving the radio off, he drove in silence. How did it all go so wrong? He lost his friends, he lost his wife, he lost his daughter, he lost his grandson and he lost his self respect.

Trading some excitement for the pain he'd caused those that he'd loved the most was the most shameful experience of his life. The passion was dimming between Margaret and Johnathan and they didn't have that emotional bond built over a lifetime together to keep things anchored. What was left?

He was exhausted as he pulled off the highway onto his exit. It wasn't even six but he felt inexplicably weary. One of Margaret's friends must be over and her car was in his spot in the driveway. Parking on the street, Johnathan sat in the car for a moment before entering the condo. Margaret wasn't in the kitchen or living room so he assumed they were on the patio grilling something for dinner. As he made his way towards the back of the house he started to hear the moaning.

Stopping, he listened and refused to acknowledge what it was. If getting on the plane had been difficult, this was infinitely worse. Johnathan slowly made his way to his bedroom door and pushed it softly. As it opened he saw a mans buttocks as the stranger pistoned into his wife, her legs wrapped around his waist.

Her moaning grew in volume.

"Whose pussy is this?"

"It's yours. Uhhhh, it's yours, Baby!"

"I'm gonna pound this cunt every day!"

"Every uhhhhh day! Pound me. HARDER!"

Johnathan pulled the door almost closed and robotically made his way to the hall closet. He took out the small, metal box, unlocked it, opened it and retrieved it's contents. He sat on the couch that faced their bedroom and waited. He didn't know how long it took them to walk out. It could have been twenty minutes, it could have been two hours.

She was shocked to see him sitting there. "Johnathan!"

He didn't seem to focus on anything as he spoke. "I'm so sorry." They didn't know why he was apologizing to them. He didn't know if he was talking to Elise, Mia or Peter.

He slowly lifted the gun.

* * * * *

Thanks for reading. I didn't know where to place this story. I thought that Loving Wives might work, but it would have been an odd fit. Someone suggested Non Erotic, and that made sense. Hopefully you enjoyed it. I look forward to reading whatever comments you have.

Bebop3
Bebop3
2,353 Followers
12