Counting Freckles

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Not as happy as I am," I assured you. "I waited a lifetime for this day, and it was even better than my wildest dreams."

"I hope it was worth it," Mrs. Murray said. "It was wonderful, and it will never happen again. You know that, right Adam?"

No I didn't know that, and while hearing it hurt a little, I guess I understood. I stepped to the side and let Mrs. Murray open the door for me, but as I started to go outside she stopped me.

"I wasn't ever going to tell you this, but I feel like I have to," Mrs. Murray said. "You probably don't remember this, but one day my husband Jerry came to visit me at school just before he got shipped out."

"He was wearing his uniform, and he spoke to us about being in the Marines," I said interrupting her. "You took out a map and showed us where Vietnam was. Then it was lunch time and we all went down to the cafeteria,"

Mrs. Murray's face lit up as I rattled on about that day she thought I had forgotten.

"Everybody in our class shook his hand as they left, and I was the last person in the room," I continued. "I shook his hand and left the room, and when I turned the corner I looked back and saw him kissing you, and that's when I was sure I hated him."

Mrs. Murray laughed that musical laugh that never failed to make me smile, and shook her head in disbelief.

"I guess you do remember after all," Mrs. Murray said. "Well, what he had said before we kissed was very important to me. He said that you were so adorable that it was no wonder that you were my favorite. Then he said that when he got home he'd be out of the service for good and we were going be able to finally start our family, and hopefully have children just like you. Those were the words I had waited all my life for. As it turned out..."

We stood at the doorway and cried in each other arms for a long time, and when I finally did step outside we were both drained physically and emotionally.

"Have a wonderful life, Adam," Mrs. Murray said.

Epilogue.

I have had a wonderful life. I've also remained in touch with Mrs. Murray, or should I say Mrs. Barnett, since a couple of years ago she got married to a teacher she had met down in Florida.

I was invited to the wedding and made the trip gladly. Over the years we had seen each other several times but had never said a word about that day we shared, but there was really no need to, because we had already said everything that two people could say to each other.

I shook Mr. Barnett's hand as I moved through the reception line, and after introducing myself his eyes lit up.

"Oh, you're the fellow Joyce always talks about," he said while he pumped my hand enthusiastically. "Her favorite student ever!"

"She's the most wonderful woman there is," I told him. "Everything I ever really needed to know in life, I learned from her. I think you happen to be the luckiest man in the world."

Have a wonderful life yourself, Mrs. Barnett.

*****

Thank you so much for reading "Counting Freckles". I hope you found it an enjoyable read, and as always I appreciate any and all comments.