Crescent City in The Rockies Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The moment they left the city proper, the ride became violent. Several bumps sent Daniel and Merilee skyward, only to crash down again onto the hard bench seats.

"Here, Merilee, there are straps to hold onto," Daniel shouted over the noisy clattering and thumping.

"Oh!" Merilee cried out as a tilting of the coach sent her sprawling directly into Daniel.

"Here, here, take this strap into your left hand, and place your right arm about my waist and I shall do the same," Daniel offered.

Thus situated, they were able to somewhat anchor themselves as the carriage clattered and clunked along the rocky trail. They did stop, once to deliver some parcels and other mail to an outpost, and the second time to change horses and drivers. Each time, Daniel and Merilee were given twenty minutes to tend to any personal business they may need, and to perhaps purchase a cold meat pie from the outpost vender.

"I feel quite sea sick; I'd not be able to eat," Merilee whined at the first outpost.

By the time they'd reached the second outpost, hunger necessitated that she ask Daniel to purchase her some apples the vender had available.

"As if I could ever say no to you, dear girl?" Daniel smiled and did purchase the apples for her.

"That is a good husband," the vendor smiled, revealing a mouthful of rotted teeth.

"He is not my husband," Merilee smiled even as she affectionately placed her hand on Daniel's arm.

"No, that pleasure belongs to another," Daniel smiled sadly and purchased some plums for himself.

Their sleep was fitful; the trail was quite bumpy. Whenever they were to drop into slumber, it seemed that the carriage would either drop suddenly, or jolt upright.

But finally, as Daniel's reckoning said it must be near to two in the morning, Merilee did slump against him. Her snoring began almost at once and it was at first her wheezing light snore. But as the carriage now rocked slowly due to a steep incline, Merilee's snoring became a mild rumbling on both intake of air and output of breath.

She murmured appreciatively as Daniel placed a protective arm about her shoulders and continued to slumber. Daniel too began to nod off into sweet dreams.

The carriage stopped and Daniel was dimly aware of the humming of crickets and the far away howl of coyotes. Then with a lurch, they were underway again.

They roused at daybreak and both passengers suffered from exhaustion, both wished to stretch their legs a bit. But neither were cross with one another.

In fact, Merilee greeted Daniel with a sweet smile.

"Ah, Pere, you are the most wonderful pillow to rest my head," she teased.

"I should think I will find it difficult to rest without your breath in my ear," Daniel smiled.

"Benhurst next stop," their driver said when they stopped at an outpost. "Changing horses there, but that's as far as you're going, right?"

"That is correct," Daniel nodded.

"I will be so grateful when this trip has come to an end," Merilee admitted.

"Soon, child, soon," Daniel smiled.

At Benhurst, William Benhurst Junior and William Benhurst III were on hand to greet Merilee Burgess. Daniel alighted first, smiled at the two Benhurst men, then held out his hand to assist Merilee from the carriage.

She gripped his left hand in her right, reached with her foot for the iron rung, and stumbled. Daniel immediately reached out with his right arm and caught her before she tumbled to the ground.

And when he reached out, his hand gripped one of her large breasts. The moment both of her feet were firmly on the ground, Daniel removed his hand. Merilee smiled her thanks, then curtsied slightly for the two Benhurst men.

"Merilee, my darling, I can scarcely believe that you are finally here," William said.

"Ma'am, it's a right pleasure meet you," Will said.

Daniel surmised that the photograph had been a true accounting of William Jacob Benhurst the Third. The twenty four year old male appeared to be an arrogant youth, quite chubby in his ill-fitting clothing. His hands were soft looking, as if they'd never seen work. His hair was elaborately tended, actually shiny with oil.

William Jacob Benhurst Junior was likewise afflicted, pudgy, squat, soft looking. What hair he still possessed, he had lacquered to his head.

"Don't go about judging a book by its cover," Daniel's mother had said to him on more than one occasion.

Again, William the Third expressed his joy upon making the acquaintance of as comely a young woman as Merilee. He even bent and kissed her gloved hand.

"Thank you," Merilee said. "And may I present my Pere, Dr. Daniel Jordinaire?"

"Doctor? What kind of doctor are you?" Will asked.

"I am a dentist by graining," Daniel said. "But in the theater of the war, I did perform many surgeries.

"And, Dr. Jordinaire, will you be making Benhurst your home?" Billy asked.

"I do believe, for the time being, that I have found my home," Daniel agreed.

"He had planned to stay in Denver, but I convinced him that Benhurst would be more agreeable," Merilee smiled.

"That she did," Daniel smiled.

The first order of business for Daniel was to find lodging. The second was to find an office for him to set up shop. Will, being the mayor of the town, was quite accommodating.

"There's the old lawyer's office next street over," he said.

The rotund man pointed in the general direction. He gestured and three Mexican men came from a saloon. They smiled and shuffled their feet. Wordlessly, Will pointed to the bags and trunk. Then the quartet began to walk along the wooden walkway.

"And right above that? Mr. Allen had him a little three room apartment," Will said. "Only thing is? Right across the street is the Main Street Saloon."

He checked to see that Merilee could not hear them.

"Got them dancing girls, scandalous, I tell you," he whispered.

"How would you know, unless you've been inside of the saloon," Daniel wondered.

William Jacob Benhurst the Third, Billy, was pointing out the various shops and other things of note as they trailed behind Dr. Jordinaire and Mayor Benhurst. Merilee was paying rapt attention; this town, after all, would be her home.

"A taxidermist? What, pray tell, would one need a taxidermist for?" she asked.

"Why, to mount and stuff animal heads," Billy said.

"And then what do you do with the unfortunate head?" she asked.

"Hang it on your wall," Billy said. "I shot a big horn elk? Horns had be almost three feet! Goes on my wall, just above the door of my office."

"He says he shot it, his cousin Elroy says he's one shot it, never know which one believe," Will whispered out the side of his mouth to Daniel.

"And does your son make a habit of lying?" Daniel wanted to ask.

Odd sounding, jangly music poured from an open doorway. Will nodded toward the open door.

"And that's the Golden Buddha," he said.

He leaned close to Daniel.

"Sinful place, really," he whispered. "Them Chinese? Don't believe in Christ, you know. Anyway, them heathens got them these Chinese girls? Two dollars, they bathe you. Girl gets right in the bath with you, naked day she was born, gets right in and scrubs you top to bottom, front and back and sides."

Again, Daniel wanted to point out, Mayor Benhurst would have no knowledge of this, unless he had availed himself of their services. But, he surmised, perhaps as mayor, William Benhurst Junior did make it his affair to know what sort of businesses came to his town.

"Bath? Billy! Are you, you are sure of this?" Daniel heard Merilee say.

"Billy, come here a minute, huh?" Will called out.

"Sir?" Billy said, trotting forward.

"Best not be telling her about that Golden Buddha place; girl's going think we're kind frequent that sort of business," Will hissed forcefully to his son.

"Yes sir," Billy said, hanging his round head.

As they traversed the wooden planks, Daniel found out that Will had been a lawyer in St. Louis, Missouri but had purchased several thousand acres of this US Territory and moved here. How fortuitous for him that gold and silver were located and almost overnight, the town of Benhurst sprang up.

He also learned that Billy was the deputy mayor of Benhurst, Mayor Will's right hand man.

"And should you no longer be mayor?" Daniel asked as they crossed the dusty trail to the building that housed the former lawyer's office.

"Why, whatever do you mean?" Will asked, drawing back.

"I assume that elections are held here, I further assume that from time to time, someone may challenge you for the mayoral duties of this town," Daniel asked as Will found a key on a large ring he had fastened to his belt.

"None have so far," Will spat, incensed that anyone would even question his right to run this town.

Daniel found the offices to his liking, and found the upstairs lodging to suit him fine for the near future. He did indicate that, at some time, he most likely would be building himself a homestead, tending to a few acres.

"Just north of the Oregon territory, they grow apples," he explained. I see no reason those fruits would not fare as well here."

"Well then!" Will said. "I've just the place for you! Even got a stream running through it."

"But now, I am famished," Daniel said. "And I am sure my Merilee could do with some nourishment as well."

"The Main Street Saloon does serve lunches," Billy offered.

A thunderous look from his father stilled any further words from the youth.

"Yes, but its Mexican fare, quite spicy," Will said. "End of the street here? Eleanor serves a mighty fine meal."

"Then to Eleanor's we must go," Daniel agreed.

The three Mexican youths arrived at the building, Daniel and Merilee's bags in hand. Daniel pointed out that the upstairs bed should be Merilee's while he would take the couch in the downstairs parlor.

"Oh, I had believed she would be..." Billy protested.

"When the two of you are wed and not a moment sooner," Daniel said forcefully.

"Then we shall be wed by nightfall," Billy declared.

Merilee did giggle at the youth's enthusiasm. Daniel was not so easily amused.

Will smiled patronizingly and patted his son's shoulder.

"In due time, boy, in due time," he said.

Will then graciously paid the three Mexican laborers for carrying the luggage.

Word spread quickly that Benhurst had a dentist, and a skilled one at that. Daniel often came out of the rear parlor to find his office overrun by townsfolk and miners alike.

His service in the Army of the Confederacy also came into use. Often, Dr. Jordinaire was called upon to tend to the wounds of drunkards and the occasional gunfight.

Those that injured themselves while toiling were told to practice caution in the future. Those that were injured while shooting a gun were given stern lectures from an angered Dr. Jordinaire.

"The good Lord decides when it is our time to come home to His bosom, blasted fool," Daniel would thunder. "Now, I will dig this bullet from your side. Let the pain be a constant reminder to you, nothing shall be solved with bullets when words would do better."

Those that were dying of their wounds, however, found Daniel to be a compassionate man. He held their hands and quoted Biblical Scripture to them as they felt the life leave their bodies.

Much to the consternation of the local Baptist minister, Dr. Daniel Jordinaire even toiled on the Sabbath.

"Reverend Dumble, pain knows nothing of the Sabbath," Daniel said when the righteous man accosted him.

He did place a friendly hand on the angry man's arm.

"Just as you are in the service of our Lord, so too am I. You tend to their souls, I tend to their flesh, dear friend," Daniel said.

"But your daughter, your daughter also labors," the reverend said, only slightly appeased.

"She is learning the joys of servitude," Daniel offered. "And though she is like a daughter to me, Merilee Burgess is not my daughter by blood."

Daniel did suspect, some came more for the opportunity to see the sweet, smiling face and the physical charms of the young woman that sat in the front office and greeted his patients. Billy seemed quite pleased that others vied for the attention of his betrothed.

Mrs. McCall, the dressmaker in town busily sewed Merilee's wedding gown, using many layers of chiffon and ivory colored silk. Merilee balked at the twelve dollars the woman had quoted, but Daniel nodded his approval.

"Pere, when I am wed, I shall repay you," she said firmly.

"Dear Merilee, you have already repaid me, many fold," Daniel assured her.

In the mornings, the Main Street Saloon served a meal they called Wavos Rancheros and both Merilee and Daniel enjoyed the breakfast meal. It was served by a sleepy looking Mexican girl who angered Merilee by being far too familiar with Daniel.

"What of it, dear Merilee?" Daniel laughed. "You've no claim on me."

"Until I am Mrs. William Jacob Benhurst the Third? I most certainly do," Merilee decreed.

The evening meals were served by the matron of the establishment. The woman smiled, revealing a mouth that had more gaps than teeth. She also told Daniel, in Spanish, that he could have his pick of any of her 'daughters.' Unless, of course, he might prefer her? This she said with a look over her shoulder at her husband, a very rotund man, nearly as wide as he was tall.

"What? What is she saying?" Merilee asked Daniel.

"She is saying she hopes that we enjoy our meal," Daniel lied to the naive girl.

The matron laughed, waggled a finger at Daniel, then greeted some new customers that wandered into the saloon. Her husband gave Daniel a wink and a smile.

Will Benhurst showed Daniel fifty acres of land just to the west of Benhurst proper. It was Sunday morning, just after sunrise, and Daniel watched an eagle soaring along, watched the sun glinting off of the waters of the stream, the morning dew that covered the grass. In the stillness of the morning, he felt a calming breeze flutter.

"Three dollars an acre," Will offered.

"Mr. Benhurst, I know that I'm supposed to haggle with you," Daniel smiled. "But three dollars an acre is more than fair. You sir, have a deal."

"So, those that were unable to pay straightaway for Daniel's services found themselves pressed into service. Precut, pre-shaped lumber was ordered from Denver and upon hanging his 'Closed' placard on his door, Daniel would lead a procession of horses and buggies to his homestead. The women that had been pressed into service would solicit Merilee's opinion on what should be done, ignoring Daniel's orders.

"Confound it, woman, this is my home, not hers!" Daniel yelled when one woman ordered her husband to put the window where Merilee decided the window should go.

"And when you are as quick as her, then I'll heed you," the woman said and again ordered her husband to heed Merilee's wishes.

Merilee placed her bare hand to Daniel's face, at once stilling his anger. She smiled up at him and he could not help but smile.

"Pere, the window will let the setting sun into the parlor," she quietly explained.

Billy, as always, was nearby, was underfoot. He, of course, lifted no hammer, carted no wood, hoisted no paintbrush.

Finally, the day of their wedding did arrive. Reverend Dumble now greeted Daniel warmly; he'd awakened one morning, mouth aflame. Daniel had not even complained when he'd been roused from slumber. He'd deftly extracted the man's abscessed tooth, minimizing the pain of such a procedure. His fee? That the Reverend perform the marriage of Merilee and William.

"But I was already to do such," Reverend Dumble mumbled.

"Isn't it grand, how our Lord works?" Daniel smiled. "Now, there is a couch that I am in need of. Do close the door on your way out, Reverend."

Now the man greeted Dr. Jordinaire as if they were lifelong friends. He proudly introduced Daniel to his wife, Jennifer Dumble, a somewhat mannish looking woman and Jennifer smiled stoically. Then the woman went to the piano and began playing hymns. The congregation sang along, more from rote than from actually being able to read the words.

And now, if you would bring Merilee into the house of the Lord," Reverend Dumble urged Daniel.

With a nod, Daniel turned and walked to the small room at the foyer of the wooden building. He knocked once, then opened the door of the small chamber.

"Dear Pere, am I, should I do this?" Merilee asked when Daniel entered the small vestibule.

"Dear Merilee, many a bride has sat and pondered that very question," he smiled. "Why, even my own wife said that she had uttered those very words to her father."

"Wife? And what has become of your wife?" Merilee asked. "You've not said you ever had..."

"She is of no importance; this is your day," Daniel said.

Merilee looked into his light, almost golden brown eyes. She saw the profound sadness behind them.

"She wounded you deeply," she whispered.

She stood and gently touched his face with her hand.

"I should never bring such sorrow to you, dear Pere," she whispered as her gloved finger traced his now lustrous mustache.

"Ah, but you have," he tried to joke. "You have wounded me deeply, from the moment you claimed to be beholden to another."

She smiled at his words. She then laughed out loud when he captured her finger with his teeth. Merilee then kissed him softly, lips to lips.

She turned, picked up the bouquet of freshly picked flowers and took his arm.

"Let us go, dear Pere," she said.

Daniel cried during the ceremony. He sobbed, unashamed as the minister pronounced them man and wife, announced that henceforth, Merilee Burgess would be known as Mrs. William Jacob Benhurst the Third. He sobbed openly as the beautiful young girl took the arm of her new husband and walked out of the church.

"Good God, man, get a hold of yourself!" Will tried to joke.

His own eyes were also moist, though. The two men, with no shame, hugged one another, then followed bride and groom to the door of the church.

The following morning, Daniel walked unsteadily to the door of the Main Street Saloon. He'd really drunk his fill of Will's whiskey, to the point that he knew not how he had managed to come to the couch of his office. His home was completed, his ordered furnishings had arrived from St. Louis and from Denver. But he had neither the balance, nor the sense of direction to traverse home. He was grateful that he had not woken in the stable, underneath his own trusty steed.

The sleepy looking waitress greeted him, then looked around.

"Where you wife?" she inquired.

"She is not my wife," Daniel smiled painfully.

The girl said nothing, just cocked an eyebrow. She then inquired if he was unwell.

"I drank a bit more than I should have," he confessed.

"Ah, Senor Doctor, wait here," she said.

Moments later, she returned with a foaming glass. Daniel sniffed it suspiciously and felt the bile rise in his throat.

"Drink Senor Doctor, drink, is hair of the dog," the rotund patron called out from the doorway of the kitchen.

Daniel set his jaw, then gulped the fiery concoction down.

"Ah? Ah? Ha ha ha," the man chuckled as Daniel gagged, clutching at his throat.

After a few moments, though, Daniel had to agree. He did feel more humane, more alert than he had been when he'd staggered into the building.

And when the girl set the breakfast in front of him, he was able to dig his fork into the meal. He said nothing, but he did notice that the girl had loosed the ribbons on her bodice. As she leaned forward, her impressive bosom nearly spilled out. Her cleavage rivaled that of his dear, sweet Merilee.

"Stop it man, Merilee is not yours," Daniel chided himself and smiled at the young Mexican girl.

That evening, rather than going to his empty home, Daniel took in an evening meal at Eleanor's, then decided to walk the town. Dusk was falling and most businesses were closed for the day. Those that were still open had soft glows of kerosene lamps flickering through opaque window shades.