Crime & Punishment Pt. 02

Story Info
Laura's side and her response.
11.1k words
4.58
200.9k
145

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 04/22/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RichardGerald
RichardGerald
2,867 Followers

I would like to thank 'tchr' for his editing which is a big job because of my poor grammar. I also thank everyone who left comments and emailed me. At this time I apologize for the switch from the first person in part one to the third in part two. This part is primarily from Laura's point of view. If that bothers you just skip this part and proceed directly to the Part 3 conclusion. You will miss the fine points but all the sentiment will be gone as well. Hope you enjoy this and feel free to comment or email me.

*****

New York is the largest city in the United States. It is one of the world's capital cities and home to the United Nations. But for reasons lost in the obscurity of Colonial American history, New York City is not the Capital of New York State. The State Capital is located in the northern Hudson River city of Albany, whose population, if deducted from that of the City of New York would still leave over eight million residents. The actual state government is operated from New York City or as it is normally referred to as "the City". The State's Capital is referred to as "Albany" a generic term that may refer to the city at the north end of the Hudson River or just the state government wherever it's located.

New York's Governors rarely spend their time in the actual capital city of Albany. The Governor's mansion provides neither comfort nor privacy. Albany itself sits in the south east quadrant of a snow belt that is unrivaled in North America east of the Rocky Mountains. While certainly not the coldest place in the state, Albany has both long and snow-filled winters and often snow-filled springs. As a rule, New York Governors spend as little time there as possible. Governor Edward Kincade is no exception to this rule, preferring his warm eight thousand square foot Central Park view apartment in "the City" to the cold climes of Albany. However, it was March, and as everyone in the New York State Government knows, the Governor must travel up the Hudson to Albany and pretend that the State Legislature is actively working on the State Budget. In fact the Budget, due April first, will usually be passed in late June - in time for the July Fourth recess and the beginning of the election season.

Accordingly, this being the first Monday in March, Edward Kincade was in Albany. The Executive Chamber in the Capitol Building is known as the Redroom, which is used only for official and public events. The Governor's actual business is conducted in the smaller room behind the Executive office.

"Ok, Tony who's next?" Governor Kincade asked of his senior political aid Tony Greco. Tony was a man who prided himself on knowing everyone and their personal agendas.

"Tom LeCouer, our chairman for Van Patten County, he must be looking for money because they don't control anything up there. The republicans have the assembly man, the state senator, the county executive, and the county legislature."

"So Tom is looking for funding for the next election?"

"Almost certainly, but I don't see how we can spare it," Tony said.

Kincade thought a moment then said, "How about I offer to attend a fund-raiser or two for him? That should help and only cost us some time. I'm stuck here anyway."

The two men agreed and then the Governor's trusted Secretary, Mrs. Betty Morgan, showed the Democratic Chairman of the most Republican County in the State into the presence of the State's Democratic Governor.

After chatting a bit about Tommy's daughter's recent acceptance to medical school and his son's senior year at Doane Stuart, a high-ranking private school known for its great academics and abysmal sports programs, the men got down to business.

"Well Tom what can I do for you?" the Governor asked.

"Have you heard that Stan Kondos plans to resign as DA in order to run for Judge," Tom said.

This small tidbit of information was news to the Governor, but Tony quickly stepped in to say that it had come to their attention that Stan was considering that move.

"Well, we are relatively sure it's a done deal and I would like to make the local parties position clear regarding who we feel should be the logical choice for an interim appointment." Tom said it a bit faster than he intended the words to come out, but he was a little nervous in such important company.

"I'm always happy to receive the recommendations of those as we say who represent 'the boots on the ground'. You are after all in a better position to assess local needs then I am," the Governor replied graciously. His words did not mean precisely what he had said. The actual translation would be that he had no one in mind and Tom should go ahead and make his choice known.

"Well, we in Van Patten County think the choice should go to the best candidate and one familiar with that office," Tom began what was a well-rehearsed presentation and now he had his nerves in check.

"I would not have it any other way," the governor replied, now wondering who is the democrat in a republican DA's office.

"We're recommending Patrick Sullivan. He is a bright young man and an excellent..."

Tony was about to jump in but the Governor's firm hand on Tony's knee told him to stay out of this and at the same time the governor interrupted Tom.

"You do not need to tell me about Pat Sullivan, I know him very well. He would make an excellent DA perhaps in a few years when he has a little more experience under his belt," the Governor said.

"Well he is chief trial counsel there right now and from what we know of the office as you point out governor, since we are 'the boots on the ground', Sullivan is the only decent trial attorney they have in that office." Tom paused and then he said the words that stunned the Governor and his aide.

"Van Patten County believes this appointment to be very important to us," Tom looked the Governor directly in the eyes as he said this.

Edward Kincade did not think of himself as a highly skilled or even a natural politician. It was an occupation that he had more or l

ess inherited. But at that moment nothing showed. His masterful political advisor Tony Greco's mouth fell open but Ed Kincade did not have so much as a stray eye lash to show his surprise. The words Tom LeCour had uttered were a form of insider code that meant that unless the Governor acceded to the request to appoint Sullivan, he could not count on Van Patten County supporting him in the next election.

Coming from the weakest chairman in the state, this was shocking. Kincade showed nothing, not the rage that he was sure his political advisor would have or the perplexity that he had. Edward Kincade knew Patrick Sullivan very well. He had taught him and he knew in a courtroom no one was better with one notable exception. The Governor knew enough to realize that there was something here he needed to know more about before he acted, something out of the ordinary, something that could either be trouble or exceptionally useful. Appointments could always come back to bite you in the ass. Ed Kincade was not about to make a blind appointment or lose a single vote by being timid.

"Well, I will have to give your view my full consideration and let you know as soon as I reach a decision," the Governor said. The meanings of his words were clear to those who knew the language. He had promised to do it if possible. Tom Lecour could ask for no more.

"Thank you Governor," he said and the meeting ended.

When Lecour had gone, Tony Greco said, "I'll have this Sullivan guy checked out right away."

"No Tony, you will stay clear of this," Kincade responded.

"But why?"

"Pat Sullivan's closest friend is Steven Fitzgerald."

The mention of that name brought Greco up sharp. Tony had been having an affair for more than a year with Susan Singleton, the wife of Steven Fitzgerald. The affair was known to the Governor. It was not a particularly well kept secret.

The Singletons were related to the deVoes, their mother was Kathern deVoe and their father, Joseph Singleton, the Insurance Tycoon. The deVoe-Singleton girls were known equally for their beauty and their promiscuity. Both daughters topped the ten most beautiful women in the world list and both were married to shy bookish men. Neither Susan nor Mary Singleton had ever, to the Governor's knowledge, let a marriage ring interfere with a good affair.

Edward Kincade had never completely trusted Steven Fitzgerald. He was an exceptional presence in a courtroom, but there was just something about Steven that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up.

"Stay away Tony, no need for an unnecessary scandal."

Tony could only nod, he was in the awkward position of being hopelessly in love with a woman, who though she happy bedded him, refused to even discuss leaving her husband. A man Tony saw in every way as his inferior.

Two hours latter Don Pleasant, former NYC police lieutenant now retired, was meeting with the Governor. The Governor's official security was provided by the State Police, but Ed Kincade found it expedient to provide a certain level of private security for himself, for which he paid from his personal fortune. Don was the head of that security.

"I need you to find out what you can about Patrick Sullivan. I believe his wife works for the law firm Brentwood and Stringer. He is currently with the Van Patten County DA's office. The local Dems suddenly want to push him for higher office. Find out why and anything else you can. Oh and check the current status of Steven Fitzgerald. Don't let anyone know we are looking at Steven."

"Gov, when do you need this?" Don asked.

"Yesterday, But be careful. I just have the feeling that something is off."

When Don left, Ed Kincade, Governor of the State of New York, clasped his fingers together and sat behind his big official desk and pondered how much things had changed since he coached the two exceptionally talented young men in the art of trial tactics. Were those young men now his supporters or his adversaries?

______________________________________________

Laura

At least she wasn't crying. The last two weeks it seemed that was all she could do, but today the tears had stopped. It wasn't because it was a good day. It started off bad; Frank Patterson balled her out in front of the municipal bond staff over errors in the Corinth Bond prospectus. They were just typos. It was after all the draft prospectus and that is why it is a draft. Technically the prospectus is under her supervision; however, the real motive for her dressing down was something else. Everyone knew the real reason for Frank's anger was Patrick Sullivan, Laura's husband - soon, if Pat gets his way, ex-husband.

You see Frank and she had what they viewed as a reasonably discreet affair. One where most of the office staff knew something was going on, but couldn't say that things had crossed the line into infidelity. In public their behavior had been friendly and professional. A little flirting kept within acceptable bounds. The fact was that they had an affair with a considerable amount of sizzle. There was only one minor problem, actually more an inconvenient embarrassment than a problem. She was married.

Her husband was a shy introverted man -over five years her junior. A better husband could not be conceived. He was kind, considerate and loving, it was clear to all that Patrick Sullivan would walk in front of a speeding train for his wife, Laura. He had put his career behind hers so that she could excel and she did make about four times the salary he did. If you took Patrick's salary away from Laura's, you would still have more than a hundred fifty thousand left over. But Patrick was the best of husbands for an ambitious career woman, he recognized she had the better career path and he deferred to her goals. In other words Patrick was no Frank Patterson.

Frank was what is called an Alpha male. Strong, dominant, and possessed of all the words a woman needs to hear. Pat was something less, a kind of beta male; but Pat was possessed of something special. He had the qualities of goodness and generosity that Laura loved. He also had some areas in his quiet introverted personality that Laura had never seen, even after five years of marriage, there were aspects of her husband that she did not understand. They were a problem to her now.

Laura met Pat when she was conducting interviews for her law firm, Brentwood and Stringer. It is the second largest firm in the state. There was little chance that Pat would be hired as a summer law clerk. Only the best of the best were considered and they were interviewed by the senior associates who would make the real recommendations.

Laura was one of the new kids. She was just starting her second year with the firm. She had taken the bar exam the previous year and passed. She was now admitted and gone through the tough first year were she worked eighty, ninety, and one week one hundred hours, all of which she billed to clients at $175.00 an hour. Now she was a full, if junior, associate and billing $210.00 an hour. She had come to Brooklyn Law to hone her interview skills. She had picked the candidates she was going to interview on the basis of their academic record and law review status.

Laura was interviewing only the top one percent and law review editors with one exception. The second year student, Patrick Sullivan's resume showed him at the class middle and no law review, but he did mock trial with Edward Kincade and had a personal recommendation from Kincade who many said would be the next governor.

Laura had a crush on Kincade. Not a Brad Pitt or in her case Liam Neeson kind of crush, but the Women's Bar Association kind of crush, where you admire someone that doesn't quite set your motor instantly running. Since Kincade was part-time faculty at Brooklyn, while he seemed to be traveling about the state building his political base, she figured that perhaps she could pump this interviewee about Kincade. It was the last interview of the day when a very young version of Liam walked in.

Patrick Sullivan was obviously Irish. He was tall with light hair with just a blush of red in it. But mostly she saw those deep warm sea blue eyes. She didn't normally notice a person's eyes first thing, but these were arresting. She was surprised when she discovered how shy he was. He was also several years younger than the average law student. He stumbled through the interview and she wondered how he could ever manage on the mock trial team. But there was no doubt she was smitten, at least enough to maneuver him into drinks after the interview.

Capulets on Montaque Street was the usual twenty something Brooklyn bar that no fashionable New Yorker would willingly be caught in. It wasn't terribly expensive, but managed to be just a little overpriced. It was completely tasteless, with Shakespeare quotes laminated on to the tables. The place had no style at all. The drinks were large and the food looked too fattening for any woman out of her teens to eat. They shared a pitcher of Sangria, the house drink that was oddly very good, but she quickly noticed that it had a big kick to it. As they drank, his accent came out. It was not quite Irish, nor was it a Brooklyn accent, at least none she had heard, although it sounded familiar. Sometimes she seemed to hear Dutch, but that might have been her imagination. It was clear and sweet and had a tone to it, reminiscent of a bell. But it was obvious that he did not know he had it. She was just about to ask him about it when his friends showed up.

The woman was a most incredible beauty. She was tall, maybe five foot ten, but not thin like a model, she had a striking shape with elegant curves as if she was the blue print for how a woman was supposed to be put together. She had big brown eyes and jet black hair. Her skin was fair with just a hint of a tan. Laura could not remember seeing any woman more arresting in the flesh. She wore skin tight black leather pants and a simple snow white blouse. She wore just the right amount of makeup and clearly knew that every head in the place turned when she entered. You almost did not notice the man with her-he was shorter maybe five-seven and looked much smaller because she was wearing four inch heels.

Steven Fitzgerald was easy to overlook, but once you noticed him you could not easily look away. He was the prettiest human being. He was a young Peter O'Toole. Like Patrick, he was shy but his light blue eyes caught Laura's and held hers, unable to look away, the second time that had happened to her that day. This is how she first met Steven Fitzgerald, whose nickname was Foxy, and Susan deVoe Singleton. As soon as Laura heard Susan's full name she knew she was the youngest daughter of Joseph Singleton and Katheryn deVoe. The deVoes were old money and Joe Singleton was in insurance or more precisely reinsurance. Brentwood and Stringer had done work for DeVoe Singleton, the third largest reinsurer in the nation and the largest that was privately held.

Susan proved to be one of those individuals whose personality is both unexpected and pleasurable. She was the ultimate extrovert who genuinely enjoyed people. Laura found herself falling completely under her spell. They talked and talked and found that they had much in common not the least of which was a driving ambition. The men were quietly sipping their wine and seeming to communicate almost without talking, when they did speak, the accent that they shared was even more easily heard, and it was obvious that they were both painfully shy. It was Susan who spoke for them telling Laura that they had grown up together a few blocks from where they were seated in the neighborhood know as Cobble Hill.

"Of course it was not fashionable then. It was a kind of middle class ghetto caught between poverty on one end and wealth on the other," Susan explained. The boys were as close as brothers. They had attended the same parochial grade school, catholic high and Fordham University. Now they were in Brooklyn Law together in their second year. Susan had met Steven in a trendy Manhattan bar when the blind date his sister had set him up with, was as Susan put it, a little careless.

"I saw my opportunity and pounced," she said taking his hand in hers and giving him a smile.

When Susan headed for the restroom she dragged Laura along. After they had taken a pee, Susan paused to touch up her hair and makeup.

"So how do you like Patrick?" she asked.

"He's well-I guess he is-sort of different," Laura replied.

"Of course, he's a virgin for one thing, they both are."

"Really? I mean they seem kind of innocent, but?"

"Yep, no doubt. I have been dating Steven since early summer, but can't bring myself to just pop his cherry. He so sweet and frankly I got it bad for him. I am going to have to marry him, but he is so shy, I may have to do the asking or trick him into thinking he asked." They both laughed at this, but it actually was not that funny.

Dealing with Patrick proved to be quite difficult for Laura. She had to put her phone number on the back of her business card and make sure he had it in his pocket when they parted that evening. She of course had his number and his address from his resume, but she wanted him to call. Three days passed without a call from him. She got a call from Susan inviting her out the following weekend.

"Will Pat be there? He hasn't called me," she told Susan who laughed.

"Don't worry, he was crazy for you, he is just working up his nerve. I'll get Steven to push him."

The following day Pat called and they set up a double date for Saturday night. So it went with Mr. Sullivan for a few weeks until Laura decided that treating him like other guys was useless. You had to take charge and he would follow. It was a relationship that suited her. She had just ended a relationship with one of the male associates at her firm. It had been her usual type affair, nothing to serious, sex after the third date, and ending it when he tried treating her like she was some kind of possession. It was the standard three to six months and then on to someone new. Either they became too possessive or they dumped her for someone new. It was the story of her life, it had started in High School. She was the smartest girl in the school, valedictorian of her senior class, but guys never dated her for her brains. Frankly they dated her for her body and she knew it. Back then the boys were rarely subtle about what attracted them.

RichardGerald
RichardGerald
2,867 Followers