Cuffed Ch. 01

Story Info
A trip to the mall leaves the girl wanting more.
2.3k words
4.18
17.3k
9

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 11/26/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hey readers! Long time, no talk. Where can I even begin?? I have been so...torn...this past year. I've relocated...twice, dealt with a death in the family...I got my first full-time position and quit (it sucked)...so much, so much; but, here I am. I've been sitting on this story for over a year and finally dusted it off. I hope it reads well.

Now, as for my other stories. I really don't know if I can continue them. It's been so long and I've become majorly disconnected from the characters...but if anyone is still reading them, I will--surely--give it a try.

Happy Reading!

*****

Chapter One: Birthday Surprise

Splatters of red broke through the white canvas as I tossed paint at the easel. Many faces turned in my direction, but I continued to stare at the paint splashed in abnormal shapes and patterns.

I grinned.

Red was the color of the day.

I swirled my paintbrush in the turpentine, making sure all traces of paint were gone before setting the utensil on my easel. I continued to smile as I strode out of the art studio and into the sunlight.

"What are you grinning about?"

"Tonight."

Lara rolled her eyes. "You're excited about David's birthday dinner? Why? You know it's gonna be boring."

"How do you know that?"

"Because it's boring every year. It's the same thing: dinner at Logan's, a movie to follow, proceeded with dessert from Carl's Ice Cream Factory. Then, the night will be topped off with some mediocre sex that only one of you will enjoy."

My smile faded. "It's gonna be different this year, Lara."

"You said that last year...and the year before that. I just don't want you to get your hopes up to have them shot down again."

"I'm trying stuff I never have before, though. New gifts, new lingerie. Get this," I straightened myself to look into my best friend's eyes, "the theme for this year is 'red'."

"Red?"

"Yeah. Red symbolizes so many things I want to bring back into the relationship; sensuality, heat, passion..."

"Red also reminds me of periods, pain, and death."

"Lara!"

"Well, it does! Look, I think your plan is good and all, but you shouldn't be the only one trying to bring something new and interesting to the table. Where are David's contributions? Don't be the only one giving one hundred percent, Kennedy."

"And there went my positive attitude," I huffed.

"Don't lose focus on my account, Kennie. Your plan sounds thought out and it may work," Lara rose from the ground and slung her backpack over her shoulder. "Let me know how it goes, okay?"

"Where are you going?"

"Study group."

"But then you can't help me get stuff for David's dinner tonight." I knew I sounded whiny, but Lara promised me for weeks we would go to the mall together for David's gifts.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that."

She didn't look sorry. Honestly, she looked relieved. I rose from the grass and dusted off my overalls. "No you're not, but whatever. I'll talk to you later."

I stewed on the entire drive to the mall.

I knew for some time my best friend, Lara, was at odds with David; but whenever I asked her why, she never gave me a straight answer. Her response usually consisted of "I just don't like him", or "I don't trust him". Webster's did not contain a word strong enough to convey her feelings toward my fiancé—the word "loathe" worked most of the time, however.

"But that still doesn't excuse her from being unsupportive," I huffed while stomping in the direction of Sears. I made a beeline for the power tools and grabbed the drill David was eyeing last time we were in the store together. By the time I visited Lids and Gloria Jeans, my attitude shifted one hundred and eighty degrees. Iced coffee tended to have that effect on me.

"Hi there, welcome to Kohl's!" An associate popped from behind a rack as I entered the store. "Is there anything I can help you find?"

"No, I got it covered, thanks." I knew Kohl's like the back of my hand, so I wasted no time in finding the outfit I needed for the night. I chose a black dress on clearance and decided to pair it with red heels and accessories. "Maybe David will catch on to the theme," I murmured to myself as I stacked boxes of red shoes near an armchair.

"Ooh, I like those; but how about these?" An associate, whose nametag boasted "Sarah", held out a pair of black, strappy heels.

"Now, I like those!" I took the pair from her and slipped them on. "Do you have these in red?"

"I can check," the little brunette scurried away.

I twisted and turned my ankle, eyeing the black shoe and weighing my options. "Red purse, red lipstick, red teddy for tonight...Actually, Sarah, I think these shoes will work—ouch!" I stood up and collided with a hard, warm wall of flesh.

"I'm so sorry," a male voice apologized.

I righted myself and regained my composure just in time to lose it in the wake of green eyes staring down at me. My lips parted, but no sound came forth. I imagined I looked like a fish out of water.

Geez, get it together, Kennedy, I coached myself to no avail. My heart rate quickened as we stayed locked in our ocular embrace. In the back of my mind, I heard him apologize again, but I didn't snap into action.

"Miss. Are you okay?" he asked, those green orbs filled with concern, but laced with curiosity.

"Yeah, um," I cleared my throat. "Sorry. I was just caught off guard." I stooped to gather my purchases and realized the man had a gun on his hip. A cop...or hit man.

"No problem. Here, let me help you with that," he said, picking up my Victoria's Secret bag. Of course, the teddy fell out.

"Oh, God," I groaned. Heat flooded my cheeks—something I knew he wouldn't miss.

"Sorry," he said, fumbling around the small heap of fabric on the floor. "It's nice, by the way."

"Not helping," I muttered, taking the garment from him and stuffing it in another bag. "What are you even doing over here anyway? This is the women's section." I sat my bags down and crossed my arms.

"I'm buying a pair of stilettoes for my dear, old grandmother," he smirked.

"A sarcastic muscle-bound man, now that's something new," I rolled my eyes at the, insanely attractive, muscle bound man. "Well, if you're not going to say why you bulldozed over me in the women's shoe section."

"Bulldozed? You ran into me, chick."

"Ran into you?" I laughed without humor. "You were the one hovering over me like I was about to stuff these shoes in my Victoria's Secret bag without paying. Now, if you'll excuse me, officer—hit man, or whatever—I'm gonna go pay for this to avoid being gunned down." I gathered my bags and walked forward, only to have the sarcastic man blocking my path. Sexuality, heat, and a cologne I couldn't name radiated from his body. I had to leave—and quick.

"You can call me Holden," he smiled. "And I'm off duty."

"Later, Off Duty Holden," I said, leaving him smirking in the aisle.

I felt his eyes on me as I walked away. It was like as he bid me to come back. I wanted to.

My feet dragged as I trudged around the store. I knew I had to make it to the dressing room before I checked out, but I couldn't bring myself to go that next step. I didn't want to leave the store yet. I felt bereft—left wanting. "Geez, what's my problem?" I huffed, shaking my head.

I turned to look back for the cop, but he already moved to housewares. I followed him. I knew I shouldn't have. I was running late for my fiancé's birthday dinner, but there I was, stalking another man. That mattered little in the wake of my heated body and clammy skin.

Attraction and desire burned through me: I was a pile of dry leaves and Holden, the off-duty cop, was the flame that set me ablaze. "What am I doing?" I huffed in frustration as I followed him to men's apparel, back to shoes, and back to housewares. And what the world is he looking for? I wondered. He did full loops around the store and hadn't picked up a single item.

Well, he was in the women's shoe section. Maybe he was shopping for the woman in his life. My subconscious jeered. The thought made my pulse quicken. My eyes even had the nerve to tighten along with my chest. Jealousy was not an emotion I was accustomed to, but it hit me like a slab of concrete. "I am engaged!" I whispered harshly to myself. "I love David, and David loves me. We are going to get married in June and it's gonna be perfect." With that, I dashed to the dressing room.

I sent up a litany of thanks for whatever force aided me in choosing yoga pants for the day before sliding them off. I tossed my t-shirt to the floor before pulling the dress off the hanger. That's when the door to the dressing room flew open.

"What the? Someone's in here!" I realized that in my haste to try on the dress, I forgot to lock the door.

The cop emerged through the door and locked it behind him. I had no idea why, but this action sent butterflies dancing in the lowest part of my belly.

"Why were you following me?" He asked.

I decided to play dumb. "What?"

"I'm a cop. I know when I'm being watched or followed. What do you want?"

"Couldn't you ask me questions when I was finished trying this on?" I waved the dress in his face. "I'm feeling really vulnerable right now." Mainly because I was almost naked and his eyes had not strayed from mine yet.

"Answer the question."

I said the first thing that came to mind. "I wanted to know if you were on duty. I've never seen a cop brandishing a gun off duty."

"Brandishing? The thing is safely attached to my hip. And I told you I was off duty. I'm sure you can do better than that, chick."

Darn. "No uniform?"

"Not while off duty."

"And your handcuffs?" I said, remembering the metallic glint I saw on his pants not too long ago.

"You never know when you may need them," a flicker of something passed in his eyes, but I couldn't pick out the emotion before it left his eyes.

"So, are you gonna leave now? I'm kinda in a hurry."

"What's your name?"

"Why?"

"Because I'd like to know the name of the woman I'm taking out tonight. It does something special to me when a woman stalks me around a department store."

"My name is Kennedy, and I can't go out with you tonight, on account of my boyfriend's birthday dinner."

"The diamond on your left ring finger would indicate he's more than a boyfriend. What is that thing? Around one...one and a half carats?"

"Okay, Sherlock Holmes. He's my fiancé. What's it to you?"

"Just curious as to why you'd lie about your relationship status." He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall of the dressing room. I inhaled deeply and released the air in my attempt to quell the fluttering desire in the pit of my stomach.

"I did not lie! I was caught off guard. It's not everyday you run into an off duty cop, wielding a gun in your face."

"Wielding? Are you really that frightened of my gun?" His eyes danced with mischief as if he were entertained by the idea.

I sighed. "You know, you're still in my dressing room."

"Well, I thought you wanted to spend time with me, seeing as you stalked me through Kohl's. I'll see you around, Kennedy." He righted himself before giving a brief smile and exiting the dressing room.

I deflated. How could one man have that much power over me? A man that was not my fiancé! I chastised myself as I tried on the dress, when I went to the cashier to purchase my items, and as I sped walked to my car.

"You're late, Kennedy." David's face was hard as I scooted into the booth.

"I know, I'm sorry. I was held up at the store." That was almost the truth. "I had to grab a few things."

"Well, I ordered you a drink. The appetizer should be out soon."

I exhaled to try and gather my wits. I put on a smile and asked, "Do you want to open your gifts now or later?"

"You know we always do them after we eat," he shook his head. "So, how was your day?"

"Not bad," I said, catching my breath. "I got into the studio after my time at the high school. How was your day?"

And that's all it took. One question about his day and he talked for the rest of the meal about bank statements, checks and balances, audits; and other topics accountants discussed. I couldn't relate. Now, if he were to ask me about the difference between cadmium and bismuth yellow, I could launch into a ten-minute speech.

We finished our meal and David opened his gifts, but confusion marred his features as he picked up the Victoria's Secret bag. I grinned. He pulled the teddy out and quickly stuffed it back in.

"What kind of sick joke?" His eyes darted around the room, checking to see if anyone watched us.

"David...it's for me to wear... for you." My smile faded at the realization that he didn't understand the purpose behind the lingerie.

"Oh. Okay."

"After ice cream, of course." I forced a smile.

He nodded, looking relieved. "Now you're talkin'. Let's get out of here."

~

David gave it his best try in the bedroom that night, but my mind wandered back to Holden. His green eyes, the way his muscles rippled with every movement he made... It was Holden's face I saw that night at home when I made myself come.