Curse You Uncle Jessie Ch. 03

Story Info
The conclusion of Matt's dilemma.
2k words
4.6
27k
4

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/21/2022
Created 04/05/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is the final and concluding chapter to Curse You Uncle Jessie. My time has become busy of late, and I am not able to do much writing. From time to time I will write a new story, but for now, RabbitRunner91 is signing off.

************************************************

At 6:00 I placed the call, the answering machine kicked in. I hung up and called again. The same result. On the 6th time, the handset was lifted. "I want to talk. Do you?" I asked.

"Yes."

"I'll see you in an hour."

----

I drove up; she was waiting and got in the car. Looking at me, she said nothing. I drove to the address and we went inside.

"You're still angry, aren't you?" she asked.

"No." I say facetiously. "I'm ready to spit nails."

"It's ruined. I suppose it's over."

"What do you think? What would you do in my shoes?"

"Probably the same thing."

"You don't know what it's like to become a millionaire overnight. Suddenly I've all this money and every girl in the world wants to get their hands on it. I wasn't planning on finding a wife. Uncle Jessie put it in his 'will'. Damn him, he knew my heart's with the Center. He's forcing me."

She didn't say anything, but her eyes told me she was hurting.

"The newspapers and the University found out, broadcasting it to the world. Everywhere I go I'm a marked man. I loved my Uncle Jessie, but gee whiz."

I broke down, my face in my hands. She watched.

(CURSE YOU UNCLE JESSIE, I WISH YOU WEREN'T DEAD.)

She waited until I'd stopped and dried my eyes. "What are your plans?" she asked.

"I don't know. It was a fool stunt to think of a finding a wife from that pile of applications." My hands clenched and unclenched.

"Would you take me home. You must hate me."

"Lynn, if you insist, but not for that reason."

"I don't understand."

"It's not what you did. It's what they want."

"What they want?"

"Yeah, it's the money. Am I someone to be used?"

"What about me?" she asked.

"That's not your emphasis. Your heart is with the women. If I thought otherwise ..."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." She smiled.

Silence drifted over us for several minutes.

"Why did you want to become a 'Mail Order Bride'?"

"Never thought of it like that."

"What was it, then? Do you have a better name for it?"

"I don't know." She grinned.

"You wanted me to select you from the list?"

"I guess."

"Was your plan only to help the Center get the money, or was there another purpose to your application?"

"We were hopping to help you find someone, so that the money from the will ..."

"How would your own application help with that?"

"Sherrie figured that one of us ... I don't know. It was a fool stunt. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"I understand. Apology accepted."

"Matt," she changed the subject. "You're not going to University. Come help at the Center. Mrs. Jordon could use you as a counselor."

I frowned. "Is there a condition on your request? Is there an attachment to my marital status and a desire to get the money?"

A question flashed across her face. "No, NO. It never crossed my mind. Please Matt, it has nothing to do with your situation. You have time on your hands, you love the center, and your help would be sorely appreciated."

"I'll think about it."

She placed her hands on my arm. "Believe me. I meant nothing by the request. Oh God, please don't twist what I said."

"Okay. Apology accepted."

The remainder of the evening was filled with small talk. I took her home and appeared at the Center the next morning, knocking on Mrs. Jordon's door.

"Come in."

"Good morning. Am I welcome here?"

"Have a seat," she smiled.

"Sorry about yesterday. Guess I lost it. You know, pressure and all."

She didn't say anything for a moment. "What can I help you with?"

"I hear you need men for counseling of other guys. My time's free and I'd like to volunteer."

"When could you start?"

"Right now, if you want."

"Two things have to happen first. You have to be trained and at this moment we don't have a trainer." At this point she stopped; her eyes boring into mine.

The pause became awkward, "What's the second thing?"

"My trainer quit yesterday. Until we get another one, we can't move forward."

"You said there were two things."

"Sherrie was our trainer. She quit after you stormed out. She was in tears, wrote out her resignation handing it to me, along with her keys, and left. I'm asking you to talk her into returning."

I closed my eyes and sighed. "I've caused you nothing but trouble, haven't I?"

She laughed. "You could say that. Will you help Sherrie to return?"

I nodded and she wrote out Sherrie's address. I drove to her apartment and knocked.

Her door opened and she glared before speaking. "You've got a lot of nerve, don't you?"

"Can I come in and talk?"

She turned and strode into the room, the door open. I stepped inside, closing it.

"Take a seat and make it quick."

I took a chair and found her watching me, waiting.

"Sorry Sherrie, for my actions yesterday. I shouldn't have acted that way."

She didn't say anything.

"I've come here to ask you to return to the center. Mrs. Jordon said you'd quit. I want to ask you to reconsider. I need you to return."

"You? Why you?"

"Training. I can't start working until I've been trained."

She didn't reply, I continued. "She wants you to come back. And if I have to, I'll get down on my knees and beg."

She laughed and I was glad to see her smile. The awkwardness between us smoothed out and we chatted. The air cleared between us. I shared my vision, my desire to help the Center.

"So, tell me. What's going on? Why the hubbub?"

"Uncle Jessie, before he died, was trying to get me married. I not ready. Well, he's always had a mischievous streak and he put the condition in his will about the money for the Center. With my desire to help, my Uncle decided to use this as a way to force me into the ranks of the matrimonial blessed."

"What do you plan do to?"

"I don't know. It's something I'll have to think about."

I left her apartment after getting a promise for her to return to work. I drove to the Center and informed Mrs. Jordon of the outcome and said I'd also show up.

The next morning my training began. It was a small class of only 'one' and Sherrie was the instructor. For three weeks we met and went through the curriculum. She was an excellent teacher. She was animate in the presentation, her explanations were clear and concise, and the exercises to the point.

She presented the material in a humorous fashion and we routinely were in fits of laughter. Sherrie was a nice lady and I came to appreciate her character and abilities.

The training was completed and I took an active role in the operations of the Center. Sherrie and I were often together in consultation concerning those who came for assistance. Many times we had a 'working' lunch. On occasion Lynn would join us. The two women had different personalities but complemented each other in their work. Sherrie was extroverted and outgoing. Lynn was quiet and reserve. Both were dedicated to the Center and in helping the women.

It was nearing Christmas and I figured to give a gift to each staff member. In consultation with Mrs. Jordon, I explained my idea.

"Is it okay to give a Christmas gift to the staff? A turquoise ring to the ladies and a watch for the men? It would be as an appreciation for the hard work they've put in."

"That's generous Matt. I think everyone would like that."

I received the order from the jewelers the day before the Christmas. Mrs. Jordon would hand out the gifts, except to Sherrie and Lynn. They'd worked especially hard and I wanted to hand theirs personally.

Lynn wasn't available so I looked for Sherrie. She was at her desk and I approached.

"Hey, got a minute?"

"Sure. For you anytime."

"Got a Christmas gift for you. That is if you are interested."

She grinned but didn't say anything.

I popped the lid on the small box and surprise registered on her face. She was speechless. I extracted the item and placed on her hand.

"That's my appreciation for all the hard work you've been doing around here."

Still nothing came from her mouth. I figured she was overcome with amazement. She wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a kiss. I was embarrassed.

Disengaging myself, I spied Lynn passing the doorway. I wanted to catch her but Sherrie was talkative and by the time I could break away, she was gone.

---

Lynn answered the door.

"May I come in?" I asked.

She stepped back and held the door. She appeared tense.

"What's troubling you?"

"Hope Sherrie will be happy." She sounded hurt.

"Meaning what?"

"I saw you give her a ring."

"Yes. Everyone at the center is receiving one. That's why I came here, to give you yours."

"Everyone?"

"Well, the guys get a watch, the gals get the ring. It's a 'Thank you'. The staff's worked hard and I want to show my appreciation. I meant to give this to you at the Center, but you slipped out early." My hand was extended with the small box.

"Thanks." She said with gratitude, slipping the ring from the box and placing it on her finger.

She was admiring the stone when I asked, "Did you think I'd given Sherrie a different ring?"

Her eyes quickly darted to mine, before dropping.

"Well, did you?" I asked again.

Her eyes flicked to mine, "Yeah, I thought it was a diamond."

"What made you think that?"

"Well, you've been spending lots of time with her lately."

"The time spent was because of work responsibilities. Beside I not interested in dating her."

"Really?" She sounded genuinely surprised.

"There's someone else I like."

"Oh." Disappointment cascaded from her voice.

"Lynn, do you have feelings for me?"

"Thanks for the ring. Do you want something to drink?" She steered clear of my question and headed for the kitchen.

"You avoided my question."

She didn't answer, so I followed, leaning against the doorway. I watched as she worked, putting dishes away and straightening the countertop. There was only so much she could do before having to face me. A curious expression touched her face when she realized I wasn't going to let her ignore it.

"Well, do you?" I again asked.

She stood, leaning against the counter, her fingers nervously playing with the ring. "Do I what?"

"Have feelings for me?"

She was quiet for a minute. Almost imperceptibly she nodded.

"Would you be interested in going on a date?"

She smiled the prettiest smile.

----

I could bore you with other events, but I won't. As you've probably figured, Lynn and I dated for 3 months before she said "Yes" to another question. The diamond on her finger caught the attention of everyone at the Center. Sherrie may have been jealous, but neither of us cared. We were married this past May.

She's a most wonderful woman, and I love her with my whole heart. We're living in Uncle Jessie's house; I still fish the stream, searching for 'Old Soldier'. I haven't caught him yet, but I'll keep trying. Lynn is pregnant with our first child. The doctors believe it's a boy, and if it is, we'll name him Jessie, after his Great Uncle.

(Bless you Uncle Jessie, but I'm glad you're not alive because I'd strangle your scrawny neck.)