Danger Zone Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Her wolf huffed, as if that was the understatement of the century. Then she sent the image of Ian naked, holding his nephew against the wall and purred.

Emma squinted at her wolf "I don't get you. Maybe Jane's right, I should let you out more often. You're losing your mind being trapped in a human body."

The wolf rolled her eyes and curled up to sleep while Emma changed for the meeting, sprinting down the halls to the alphas office as she was now late due to her conversation with her wolf.

Arriving at the door, panting slightly she knocked lightly on the door, knowing their sensitive hearing will pick up on the light tapping.

"Enter." Peter's voice boomed through the door. When she entered she saw Peter seated at his desk with Jane standing behind his right shoulder. God did they take this time to stage the most intimidating pose for me to see? Emma thought. She quickly checked her shields to see if they had heard her errant thought. They were already mad at her as it was no need to add fuel to the fire with her smartass comments.

"Do you know why you stand in front of us today B?"

"Wait, B can't be your real name. What is your real name?" Jane asked. Everyone was tense, waiting for the answer to her simple request.

B shifted nervously. "I used to be Emma Busby but she died years ago."

Jane sighed and nodded. "Thank you Emma."

Peter asked Emma again "Do you know why you stand in front of us, Emma?"

"I disobeyed your order to stay in my room, knocked out one of your betas, back talked a visiting alphas and his heir and sparked a fight in the lobby."

Both alphas were stunned by the attempt at complete disclosure and honesty.

"The last one doesn't count." Jane replied drily "That's a normal occurrence when another pack comes to visit."

"That isn't your only infringement on our pack laws. You have been ordered not to hide your scent around other wolves and you only do that 50-60% of the time. You don't trust us and that shows." Peter growled. Emma wasn't sure how to reply to that but she let go of her scent and opened her mind to the alphas to avoid any further rebukes. Peter acknowledged the change with a tight nod.

"We've asked you to spend more time with the other wolves, finding your own niche away from the other girls and the only time you are ever without the others is when you are in the library. Alone." Jane added

"I spar with the other wolves."

"Exactly! The only time you let other people touch you is if you are fighting!" Peter stated. "Nor are you alone when you go spar. The twins are always your shadows."

"Isn't this a conversation that you should be having with all of us?" Emma asked, her ire rising a bit in defence to the attack on her actions.

"No because despite being human those 4 girls contribute more to this pack than you do." Peter growled louder. "Doc spends majority of her day with the medical team, treating our pack members, the twins have developed our communication system and upgraded the security on our computers to the extent that the CIA wouldn't dream of hacking our network. And Lily has become a teacher to our pups. She is teaching them valuable home economic skills that will help them their entire life. You just sit in the library all day reading whatever tickles your fancy!"

Emma balked then turned angry "My fancy? I'll have you know I'm reading books on pack law, histories, and pack geneologies."

"Why?" Jane snapped.

"Why?" Emma replied confused.

"Why are you reading those things? What is your purpose for reading those documents that would help our pack?"

"I wanted to learn everything I could about my new life so I could pass it on to the other girls. I know from reading the histories, this is an unusual concession you are making for us, allowing us to wait to decide to turn or not. Thank you for giving us a year to find mates in the wolf community."

"But you don't want a mate." Jane stated flatly.

"Moot point, I'm already a wolf."

"Exactly yet you still speak with a lot of 'I's' and 'we's'. You have not integrated yourself into your new life. You avoid it by sticking your nose into a book and ignoring the world around you. Here's a tip lady, you have a question about your new life? Ask your fucking alphas. You have a question about our history? Why don't you ask the pack elder that's lived it for the past 600 years? And what the HELL did you think you would get out of our genealogies?" Jane yelled, her eyes starting to bleed into her wolf. Peter took the hand that was resting on his shoulder and rubbed the back of her hand with a soothing touch.

"Honestly?"

"Always." Peter said calmly.

"I was trying to find a common pattern. I wanted to know if it was genetic or if he was an anomaly."

"Damon?" Peter asked gently. Emma nodded.

"And?" Jane prompted, calm again.

"It happens but it's not a common thing. There is no genetic link." Emma answered flatly. "There's no way to predict who will lose it and when. There's no reason why they chose us." Emma shivered in trepidation.

Jane and Peter exchanged a glance. "Is that what you're worried about? Going rogue?"

Emma nodded.

"Why?"

"All it will take is some dominating aggressive male to corner me and pressure me into having sex with them and..." She pantomimed ripping off a head.

"You're in an enclosed space with two dominant alpha wolves challenging you and you seem to be fine."

Emma shrugged "Well first of all you're not trying to have sex with me and second of all you're..." She waved her hands wildly "safe or something like that. I don't feel threatened being in the same room with you."

Peter growled lightly at being told he was non-threatening "And if we ordered your execution tonight?"

Emma quirked a shoulder "I believe you would be doing it to protect your pack and I wouldn't begrudge you the decision. I'd be sad...but not mad."

"So she does understand pack dynamics and she acknowledges us as her alphas. She subconsciously trusts in our ability to protect her and our pack. She just doesn't realize it." Jane commented to Peter. Peter nodded.

Seeing the nod, Emma thought he was agreeing about her imminent rogue status and was about to order her execution. A thin tendril of fear entered her scent.

Jane picked up on the fear "What do you fear Emma?"

"While I understand you ordering my death sir, may I request you keep my friends away from it?" Emma asked timidly, looking down at her feet. "They've seen enough of their friends die in their lifetimes."

Peter and Jane were taken aback by the comment. "My dear" Jane said "We are not going to kill you."

Emma looked up, startled "You're not?"

Jane shook her head. "It is clear to us however that we need to separate you from your little pack of girls. Part of the problem with your lack of acceptance is that we are still treating you like a human. We will be moving you out of the secure wing and into an apartment with the other beta females so you can socialize with other wolves your rank. You will not be allowed to hide your scent when you are at the compound, however when on patrol or anywhere offsite, you have permission to hide your scent as you see fit."

Emma's hackles rose at the word permission but she tried to hide it, semi successfully. Jane jumped into her next point, preventing Emma from arguing.

"If you cannot abide by these rules we will move you to another pack, away from your friends. You need to accept your new life or turning rogue will become your future."

Emma clenched her jaw but nodded.

Peter brought up his point "Given your history, I'm not going to force you into it but you need to get used to other wolves touching you outside of a sparring bout. Your wolf needs a pack and it needs contact with her pack members to allow her to make a place in her pack or she will be more on edge and quicker on the draw. A wolf who knows her place in her pack is a happy wolf. If you can manage that, maybe we can avoid the amount of incidences where your wolf has risen to the surface and nearly taken over."

"Like today for example, your wolf was too close to the neighbouring alpha. Had you attacked him, it would have been within his right to kill you and declare war on our pack. It was close enough with your verbal confrontation; we didn't need a physical confrontation." Jane cautioned.

Emma nodded. "I understand. I'll try my best."

Jane's tone softened "You know you can always ask us for help. We aren't trying to set you up to fail."

"I know Madame Alpha, I just don't want to burden you with my problems if I can handle it. You have enough responsibilities as it is."

"But you're not handling it Emma." Peter added softly. "It's been 6 months and you haven't made any progress with your new pack or dealing with your abuse. Despite your room being soundproofed, we know you are still having nightmares almost nightly."

Emma was shocked by this declaration "How do you know?"

"The patrols can hear you when they pass under your windows and your friends have come to us, concerned for your wellbeing."

Emma clenched her jaw and ground her teeth at the sense of betrayal she was feeling for her friends going behind her back to tattle to the alphas.

Seeing her anger flare in her eyes, Jane took a step forward and took a gentle grip of her wrist "Now don't go take this out on them, they only came to us because they care about you. You shouldn't punish them for caring about you."

That seemed to be the best thing to say as Emma's anger cooled and her features softened.

Silence filled the room as Emma pondered what was said today.

She sighed and nodded. "Okay."

"Okay?" Jane echoed.

"Okay." Emma repeated

"What's that supposed to me okay?"

"Okay I need help dealing with my problems."

Peter and Jane were stunned that Emma went from denying her problems to asking for help within minutes of each other. Talk about whiplash.

Jane looked at Peter "Wasn't Erica's mate a psychiatrist before he was turned?"

Peter nodded. "He still is. He still has his practice in the city and he helps us here with our pack needs." He turned to Emma. "Elliot would be the perfect choice, let me call him up here."

Emma's eyes widened "Whoa wait a minute. You think I need a shrink?" She shrieked.

Peter and Jane were hesitant to answer. "Uh Emma, you were held in captivity for 5 years, abused physically and mentally and forced to do unspeakable things." Peter said "Even the strongest person with the best coping strategies would need some help sorting themselves out."

Emma rubbed her hand over her face. "I don't know...can I think about it?"

Jane sighed at the setback "Of course my dear. While you consider it, please pack your things to be moved into the Beta's complex."

Emma nodded absently, deep in thought "Thank you sir, madam."

Supper that night was a lively affair as both packs mingled with each other. Most of the excitement stemmed from the unmated males and females sizing each other up for likely bed mates in the upcoming weeks.

As Emma entered the dining room with Drea and Greg, both who were still slightly disgruntled at her actions this afternoon, silence descended on the room as everyone turned their eyes on the mysterious girl. Her pack had filled in the visiting pack on her history so everyone was curious what she was going to by herself in a room full of wolves.

She cleared her throat nervously and made her way to the buffet table. The silent stares followed her across the room. She caught whispered conversations on her way.

"No way dude! She really doesn't have a scent."

"She has a scent, she just hides it."

"Wish she would teach me how to do that."

"I don't think she even knows herself."

"I hear she's practically feral."

"Yeah if you touch her without her consent, you risk losing a limb."

"Those hidden sheaths for her daggers were awesome; I didn't know she had weapons on her."

"Yeah she carries a full arsenal at all time; she's as prickly as a porcupine."

"Someone's gonna get in trouble." Drea sing-songed as she pulled up next to Emma.

"The gossip mongers?" Emma asked as she pulled out a tray.

"No, you." Drea snickered "I seem to recall an alpha's order that you don't hide your scent and we seem to be approaching said alpha."

Emma hissed and slammed down her tray. Closing her eyes she focused and a thin slip of scent surrounded her body. She went to move further down the line when Peter loudly cleared his throat. Catching her eye, he motioned with his hand to let more of her scent slip free. Emma sighed and let go of her control of her scent. The smell of lemons and mint filled the air and Peter nodded appreciatively before turning back to his meal, only to be interrupted by Ian standing up quickly, knocking his chair down and snarling "MINE!"

Ian leapt forward in an attempt to bring Emma closer into his grasp only to have Emma shriek and hide behind Greg, using him as a shield. Ian growled menacingly at the male who stood between him and his mate and while Greg did expose his neck, he stood his ground. He tried to reason with the large alpha "Perhaps," Greg licked his lips nervously "this is not the best way to woo your mate sir?"

Ian growled louder "What is it" He rumbled "with people of this pack thinking they can tell me what to do? Have you not taught them better Peter?"

Peter growled back at the insult only to have Emma peek out from behind Greg's broad back "Peter's a great alpha, you're just a bully." She stuck out her tongue.

Ian straightened out of the predatory pose he was holding "Did you just stick your tongue out at me?" He asked perplexed.

Emma took another step out and replied "Yes I did."

"Nobody sticks their tongue out at me."

"Yeah well nobody likes a bully." She stuck her tongue out again.

He took a step closer, crowding her space "Careful. If you stick your tongue out at me again, I might find a use for it." He purred. The rumble in his chest went straight through her and made her feel all tingly and warm. As the scent of her arousal perforated the room, she stepped behind her protector again. "You're not my mate. I don't have a mate. I don't need a mate." She spoke bravely.

"Your scent says otherwise." Ian answered as he took a step around Greg to get at his mate.

"My scent says I'm attracted to you not that you're my mate." Emma answered, stepping around Greg so he still stood directly in the way. Greg rolled his eyes at being in the middle of this drama. "And I don't plan on acting on that attraction." She continued.

Peter spoke up "I'm curious why when Ian leapt, you choose to scream and hide behind Greg, a male beta, instead of using one of your many hidden weapons to kill the threat. Perhaps you didn't want to hurt Ian?"

Emma, who was playing a rousing game of ring-around-the-Greg, stilled and her jaw dropped then closed as she replied haughtily "I was just following orders not to cause a war between packs" and moved again, narrowly avoiding Ian's arms.

"Bullshit, hurting him didn't even cross your mind. You thrive on pure instinct. If you had thought Ian was a threat, you would have killed him, order or not." Peter grinned at the flash of fang as Ian processed the comment.

"Maybe." Emma was panting as Ian was all but sprinting after her in a circle "I am learning to curb my instincts."

"That shouldn't be a maybe if you actually believe it." Jane answered.

Emma paused and clenched her fists. "He's NOT my mate!" She placed her hands on his chest to stop the chase, sparing a thought for the hard muscle beneath the shirt "I'm sorry but you're not my mate." She told Ian as he pulled her closer and rested his hands on her lower back and his face in her hair "You're just really super yummy hot" her speech became breathy as she unconsciously started kneading his pecs.

"What does your wolf say?" Jane asked, crossing her arms

"What makes you think she hasn't had a say?" Emma answered into Ian's chest as she auspiciously took small breaths to fill her senses with his yummy scent.

"What does your wolf say Emma?" Jane repeated

Emma sighed and closed her eyes, bringing her wolf forward. Before her body shifted, her eyes snapped open and with a "Son of a ..." Emma turned on her heel and stormed out of the room.

Ian stood there dumfounded at the sudden departure. "I don't understand."

Jane laughed and shook her head "You poor poor man."

Peter joined in on the laughter "Congratulations on finding your mate my friend. I only hope you survive the chase."

Emma ran out the front door into the snow. "Good" she thought "Maybe this will cool my heated blood."

"So that's what you were trying to tell me? He's my mate?" She addressed her wolf.

Her wolf nodded and wagged her tail happily.

"But he's Damon's uncle!"

Her wolf rolled her eyes and settled in for the same argument from this morning.

"He looks exactly like Damon. How can I even be with him without seeing Damon? It's not fair to him to have Damon's actions affect my feelings for him and it's not fair to me to have to relive my past every time I look at him."

The wolf didn't bother to answer; she just continued to watch Emma as she paced furiously through the snow.

Her internal rant was cut off by the sudden appearance of two wolves exiting the woods. Once they stood in front of her, the one on her left started to shift. Faced with a naked Adam, she turned her back and hissed under her breath "Fucking naked."

"Is there any other way to fuck?" He joked to her tense back. Faced with her furious glare, he sobered up and asked "Sorry about that B, I just wanted to know where you were going."

"To hell in a hand basket" She thought. She replied "No where. Can't a girl take a walk without facing the Spanish inquisition?

"In bare feet?" He asked with eyebrows raised as he stared at her feet. Looking down, Emma swore a blue streak finishing with the statement "A pox on hot men!"

She tried for nonchalance "I'm a wolf, we don't feel cold." She shrugged.

"Yeah but we can still get frostbite in our human form."

"Fine!" She said in exasperation, throwing up her hands.

She shifted into her wolf, tearing through her clothes, causing her weapons to fall to the ground in a loud clamour. A look of regret passed in her eyes as she looked at her pile of shredded clothes. With a final glare at Adam, she took off into the woods.

Adam called after her "Stay within pack grounds!" She only paused long enough to kick up some snow at him. He sighed and looked at the discarded pile of clothes "I'll call someone to collect her things." His partner made a sound that needed no translation causing Adam to laugh. "I hear ya man, women. C'mon, let's finish our patrol and get back inside, I'm starving."

Emma stalked silently up to the front door, only shifting at the last moment to turn the door handle. She peered cautiously into the foyer, finding the room empty she slipped inside and went to the front hall closet to grab an extra pair of sweats and slip them on before anyone saw her in her birthday suit.

The run had helped her mood a little but she still didn't have a solution to the mate problem. On her run she realized that if she did submit to this mating, not only would she have to live with waking up to Damon's face every morning; but as Ian was the alpha of his pack, she would need to move to his land, away from her friends and she would have to face the families of the members of the rogue pack who held her hostage for 5 years. Would they blame her for their son's death? Would they hate her for constantly reminding them of their shame?