Dark as Daylight Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*****************

The following morning at 8 AM she walked into the FBI building, showed her credentials and was sent to the 7th floor.

"Good morning, I'm special agent Laura Burkart, I was ordered to see the Director as soon as possible."

"Agent Burkart, I can't begin to tell you how much trouble you are in. The Director canceled 2 meetings, at the Federal Building in New York, yesterday waiting for you to appear. You never showed. At this moment, he wants to rip your insides out through the opening where your head used to be. What the hell are you doing here?"

"This is the message I received. How was I supposed to know he was in New York?"

"What is the largest convention going on in New York City?"

"It's the National Criminal Law Convention, at the Javits Center."

"Who is the lead law enforcement officer in the United States?"

"The Attorney General."

"Why are you making this so fucking hard agent Burkart?"

"Director James Comey."

"Where would the director of the FBI be if that convention is in New York?"

"New York."

"Where were you yesterday afternoon?"

"I was in New York."

"When did you receive that notice?"

"I returned to my desk at 3:20 p.m. I returned to my residence, packed a bag, made a reservation to come to Washington, spent overnight in a hotel, and here I am."

"Give me your cell phone number, and start back to the airport. I will call the Director and attempt to explain to him the confusion. I don't expect it to go over very well, but get your ass back to New York. I will make your arrangements from here, and call you."

"Thank you very much."

After one minute had passed, she rang the Directors office.

"You should have been actress; you did that perfectly."

"Why are we doing this to her again?"

"She almost caused us the most valuable resource we have outside the Bureau. I promised the AG I would run her ragged for a few days to teach her a lesson. He told me it was either this, or dismiss her from the service. She's too good to lose."

"If she's that good, why hasn't she moved up?"

"Have you checked her file on your computer?"

"Why would I."

"You can take a peek, but you have to keep your mouth closed. You can't even tell me."

She looked then yelled, "You're kidding me?"

"I told you, you can't tell me."

"Is that why you're not firing her?"

"I would fire you first."

"You know I'm indispensable."

"So is she to the bureau's future. Call her in 30 minutes."

******************

"Agent Burkart, your flight departs at 2:05 p.m. out of Dulles, landing at Kennedy at 4:25 p.m. It has a stopover in Philadelphia. All the other flights were full. You have an appointment with the Director at 6:30 p.m. at the Edison Hotel 228 W. 47th St. The ZIP Code is 10036. I would suggest you not be late. The time may fluctuate because of previous appointments. Call me after you land, and I will give you any updates. My number is: 202 - 959 - 9991/extension 1001. Do you have all that agent Burkart?"

"Yes I have it all written down. I will call you as soon as I land at Kennedy."

"Good luck agent Burkart, don't fuck this up."

************************

"I'm going to have to talk to my priest this weekend, because of you. That flight has an on-time record of 37%."

"I know, but remember it's all for a good cause."

"If it's all for a good cause, why aren't you doing it?"

"I am doing it, through you."

"I hope when you get indicted, I'm one of those people they call 'an unindicted co-conspirator.' I don't like doing this."

"All we are going to do is robbing her of the little sleep. Then when she gets back and we act like nothing is wrong, she will be totally confused. I will send her to the Zabo's to get whatever information they have recovered from the scientists, and we will proceed from there."

"Can you just imagine what she's going to say to you when you tell her to go to that house?"

"I know exactly what she's going to say to me."

"I'll bet you a dollar you don't."

"Gambling is illegal."

"What is that thing on the wall as we walk out of the elevator?"

"It's the football pool."

"How is that not gambling?"

"No money is being exchanged."

"Imagine that; Suzanne walked away with more than $16,000 last year after the Super Bowl."

"How did she do that?"

"She was the winner of the football pool."

"She actually won real money?"

"Director, don't go on the witness stand with that face; they will tear you apart."

"Where did all this start?"

"Gambling is illegal."

"You're right, next case."

"What is she going to say to you, when you tell her to go to William Zabo's house?"

"She's going to say two words: Yes, sir. Then she will leave this office, go to the lady's room, and scream at the top of her lungs. It's all part of her training to get into upper management."

"If I didn't know you had a good heart, I would swear you were the devil herself."

"You should be very vigilant around me; I already have you running to your priest."

"Get away from my desk, and do some work."

"I am doing my father's work."

"Tomorrow, I am bringing in crucifixes, and pictures of Jesus to hang up on all my walls. Stay away from me Satan, be gone."

"Okay, if that's the way you feel about me, you can work Saturday."

"How much would you like to bet?"

"Isn't this where our argument started?"

"Would you please go into your office. If you don't have any work to do, I know I do."

"I'm not here, I'm in New York."

"Great, then disappear."

"I can do that, watch me."

James Comey turned, walked into his office, and closed the door. He wasn't in their 45 seconds when Janine's buzzer went off.

"Yes Mister Director?"

"About this coffee maker, I filled up with water, I opened the exterior package, and put the filtered coffee package into its container. I pushed the button, and nothing happened. What did I do wrong?"

"Did you bother to plug it in?"

"Dammit, I thought I did everything you instructed me to do. Thank you Janine."

"Sir, you graduated college number one in your class, right?"

"Yes."

"You graduated Notre Dame Law School number one in your class, right?"

"Yes."

"I bet you studied an awful lot at night, didn't you?"

"There were many nights I stayed up all night."

"Sir; who turned on the light switch for you?"

Before he could answer, Janine hung up. He stood up, walked to the office door, twisted the handle, and went to pull it open. The handle came off in his hand. He screamed.

"Janine, the handle on the door is broken. I can't get out of my office."

"Call maintenance."

"That's your job."

"I know that sir. You know that sir, but you are in New York, and I never go into your office when you are out of town."

"Who cleans up my desk when I am out of town?"

"It must be maintenance."

"Janine call maintenance for me please."

"Call this number and see who answers."

"Okay, but don't go anywhere."

"FBI, Director Comey's office, how my help you?"

In a shrill voice he said, "Call maintenance about my door."

"If you're going to be all nasty to me, I'm going to lunch. I will be back in one hour."

"You're going to lunch at 940 in the morning?"

"Is there a law against it?"

"No, there isn't, but I'll make sure you are transferred to the secretarial pool in the morning."

"Sir, we do not have a secretarial pool."

**************************

The maintenance woman walked in with a new electronic door assembly, and started working on the outside fixture of the old one. While she was working, Janine continued to harass her boss.

A few moments later the maintenance woman opened the door, walked in to the director's office, and closed it.

She continued the procedure to replace the electronics that controlled the door, and the door assembly. She didn't say a word; all she did was work.

Comey just stared at her, because she was so beautiful, while he listened to Janine tell him about his lack of common sense. By the time Janine was finished berating him, the maintenance woman stood up, tested the handle, and door, and left without saying a word.

When Janine took a breath, Comey said, "Who was that woman?"

"That was Nancy Wells; she is our lead electronic maintenance technician."

"Why haven't I ever seen her around before?"

"Probably because we've never had a problem with electronics in this office until today. Are you saying you want to get into her pants Director? She is very pretty, and you both are unattached."

"You are gross Janine. I was just wondering if she was a Russian spy."

"Would you like her home phone number?"

"It would look like abuse of power."

"She doesn't work for you."

"Anyone who works in this building works for me."

"Meet in public, touch in public, kiss in public, if it gets that far. The American people love watching public figures fall in love. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't make it that far, try to make the breakup sweet and caring."

"Call her and tell her the door isn't working properly. I'll screw her on my desk."

"I believe that's called abuse of power."

"If you are in the room, I can say we did it in public."

"This conversation started about gambling. How did we wind up talking about 'Gamboling?'

"Isn't that what you wanted me to do with our maintenance woman?"

"Well, she does have 3 children, and she is struggling financially. You could pay her for her services."

"I believe you forgot to tell me that part. The other part is out of the question, and you know it."

"Should it bother you if she is a wonderful woman?"

"How old is she?"

"27."

"Why does she have so many children at the age of 27?"

"She had her first one at 12 years old. The second was at 15. Thanks to the FBI, the first guy is in jail for life. The second guy is in jail for 30 years. The third one she had 2 years after she was married. Her husband was killed by a hit-and-run driver. That case has never been solved. I guess you can say she has had a run of bad luck."

"I would say she's had no luck at all. I still want to meet her. Would you have her come up here please. I will make the coffee."

"Should I come in there and plug in for you?"

"No, I will try to do it myself. You've depressed me enough for one day."

*********************

"What's up Janine?"

"If you play your cards right, I think you hooked my boss."

"I haven't said two words to your boss."

"Did you wiggle that fine ass of yours at him?"

"Not that I know of. I just repaired his door. He was talking to someone."

"He was talking to me."

"Why would he talk to you over the phone?"

"It's a very long story, but he forgot the plug-in his coffee machine."

Nancy giggled. "All men are inept?"

"No, just the brilliant one's. Don't get too close to him; he may spill coffee on you. I'll buzz him and tell him you're here."

"Mister director, Nancy Wells is here to see you."

"I'll get the door and let her in."

"Don't trip over your feet."

James Comey opened the door, and with a big smile on his face asked, "Won't you please come in Miss Wells."

"Thank you very much Mister Director."

"Please sit down. Would you care for some coffee?"

"Yes please, with a little cream."

He handed her the coffee and joined her in the seating area of his office.

"If I keep calling you Miss Wells, and you keep calling me Mister Director, this is not going to go very far. My name is James, or Jim. Can I call you Nancy?"

"Yes you can. May I ask you what's going on?"

"Something that's never happened to me before, and probably the same reason I am still a bachelor. I looked at your face while you were working, and I couldn't take my eyes off you. I wasn't looking at your chest or your butt. I just thought your face was the most magnificent, most beautiful face I've ever seen. When you left my office, I couldn't get you out of my mind. I couldn't get Janine to shut up, and ask you to come back here so we could talk. It took 7 minutes for that to happen. When that woman is angry with me, she lets me know it."

"So you're the boss in name only."

"I am the director, she's the boss. She's told me about the horrific start you have to your life, and saying how terrible I feel is of no use. At least those 2 bastards are in jail, and will be for many years to come."

"Neither one of them are in jail any longer, James. Samuel Reynolds is dead. I was told that prisoners take care of child molesters, and child rapists. 2 years after he went to prison he was found dead in the shower with his testicles down his throat.

Benjamin Peters died of AIDS, 8 years ago. I'm not sure if I'm happy they are both gone, because they can't hurt anyone anymore, or sad, because their penance is over.

I lost Jerry, my husband, in a heartbeat, almost 6 years ago, because of a hit-and-run driver. That messed me up for a very long time. However, that's not what you asked me here for. You didn't want me to come to your office for a confession, you had something else in mind."

"Are you ready to move forward, or is it too soon?"

"My 15-year-old boy is getting ready to kick me out of the house on the weekends. He keeps yelling at me, "Mom, you have to get a life. You are too beautiful to sit at home and watch the three of us grow up."

I'm not going to tell you his next sentence, because I smacked him for it. If I said that to my parents, I'd be missing a jaw."

"I guess I know the words that came out of his mouth, and told mommy to do. He is 15 years old, and because of what he sees on television, and every other form of visual entertainment he is subjected to every day. Worse than those are the lyrics on albums kids are free to listen to. Most of them would be X rated, if they were subjected to a review panel. They are not fit for anyone under the age of 18 to listen to. However, the First Amendment bars nearly any infringement on the right to free speech.

Still, I would like a chance to get to know you, 'with no strings attached.' Once we are outside this building, we are just 2 people, who met by chance. I think it would be best that your children not know that I am the Director of the FBI. I am just some rich guy you happened to meet, while you were at work. It might freak them out, if they found out I am your bosses, bosses, boss.

You must also understand that I work at the pleasure of the President of the United States. We could be in the middle of a date, and my aid could tap me on my shoulder, or my phone could ring, and our date is over. There are a lot of terribly inconvenient things that go along with my job, but if you're willing to put up with them, I'd really like to get to know you."

"You really do know how to warn a girl off James, don't you?"

"I thought it was only fair to warn you in advance. You have gone through so much heartache in your young life already I was not going to be the one to add any more to it. I could not bear listening to Janine berate me any more than she does already. I know this is short notice, but I would like to take you out on Friday night at 7:00 P.M."

"Next week is fine James that is plenty of time for me to change my mind, and say 'NO." Janine probably protects you like a grizzly bear cub too."

"You could say that."

"You said Friday night, 7:00P.M."

"Dinner and dancing?"

"Are you kidding; you know how to dance?"

"I took lessons for five years. My mother insisted on it."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"I guess we will find out Friday night."

"Oh God!"

"What size shoes do you wear?"

"7."

"You will have worked all day so I'll get you an 8."

"What are you doing?"

"You misunderstood me. I want to take you out tonight. You can't go to a ball, without a Gown, can you? The Gown is easy; the shoes are hard? What color would you like?"

"Stop! This is our first date. I am not going to allow you to spend a ton of money on me, just because you think it may get you somewhere?"

"First, at the very beginning of this discussion we agreed there were no expectations. We are just two friends, out for an evening of fun. When the evening is over, I will drop you off at your residence, and I will return to mine. Are we okay now?"

"Okay, but where are you getting all these thing from? They are going to cost you a fortune."

"You will go to your home, rid yourself of your clothes, and bag; take a shower, throw on a robe, and a pair of slippers. An 18-wheel 'Fashion Design' truck will stop in front of your home. After it stops, walk outside, go up the front set of white wrought iron steps. Once inside that is the last decision you will have to make by yourself. Everything else you will have an expert standing near you. From your toes to your hair, everything you want is at your disposal as long as you are finished on time.

At 6:55 p.m., the tailgate will drop down, the 2 back doors will open, and you will step out. I will assist you into the limousine, and we will go to the wedding."

"Wedding! This is going to be one hell of a wedding."

"It is! It's for my baby sister."

"You're taking me to your sister's wedding?"

"Yes. It was a very fortuitous circumstance for me to meet you today. I didn't want to hurt her feelings by not going. I'm tired of my brothers and friends constantly ripping me that I'm gay, or that I can't get a date that doesn't look like a hooker. So if anybody comes near you tonight, and I punch his lights out, it has nothing to do with you, it has everything to do with me."

"I assume that's one reason you don't want me to wear a micro-mini skirt?"

"If it was up to me, you could walk in there naked. I would enjoy the hell out of it, but I wouldn't want to embarrass you. So no, no micro-mini this time, naked the next time."

"So you're assuming there will be a next time?"

"Let's just say, I'm more than assuming there will be a next time. I am praying there will be a next time. I want to see how high your legs go."

"Pervert."

"No, I am just an ordinary man, who has not been with a woman in over 5 years."

"In that case, we're both safe. I have not been with a man since my husband died. I have continued taking the pill, just in case I get lucky enough to get raped, again; and then became pregnant again."

"You are still seriously Catholic?"

"What could possibly give you that idea?"

"At 12 years old, you could have had an abortion, but you had to carry the baby to term. Your parents wouldn't allow you to abort the baby, and you had no say in the matter because you were under age. You were raped again at 15 years old, and again forced to carry that baby to term, because you were still under age. Somehow or another, your parents blamed you for getting raped, even though you probably wearing your good Catholic school-girl uniform.

I have no idea if you're talking to your parents now or not. You are working hard to make a living, and they are not interested in helping you.

Janine told me you are struggling to make ends meet. Working for the government, as an electronics technician, installing electronic door closures, and other items does not pay a lot of money. However, it does carry health insurance, and a retirement plan. Is that why you're here?"

"Mister director, we're getting a little personal, and we haven't had our first date yet."

"I apologize Nancy. I will not do that to you again; at least not until our first date is over. It's part of my FBI failings. I try to get to the bottom of things as soon as possible. You may go home now. You have been grilled by the Director of the FBI, and you know nothing about the pilfering of goods that are disappearing from this building."