Dawn's Darkest Hour

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Yessette gripped onto Daniel with every ounce of her strength. She battled to keep the covers over his shivering body. He'd almost died, made the mistake of trusting her with the one thing she could never resist. Blood. He was suffering, because of her, because of her blood. "Hold on, Daniel." She pressed the length of her body against his in an attempt to still his spasming limbs. There was nothing she could do but be there as he weathered the tempest raging through his body and mind. Nothing.

Finally, the pain receded, like floodwaters. Daniel blinked and looked up at Yessette. The worry on her face, for him, softened any grudge he might have against her. Gently, he traced the lines around her mouth with a fingertip. He could hear her thoughts whispering through his mind. So fragile, delicate and so easily damaged, was her heart. She was centuries older than he. Inside though, they were one in the same.

Daniel thought he was a man till today. This experience made it painfully evident how much more he had to learn. Illuminated the obvious reasons of why his dad still tried to protect him. Yessette needed protecting too. He could see that now. She was unable to fend for herself. They were both still so much like children, fumbling their way through the world, struggling to leave their mark on its rocky surface.

Physically and chronologically, Daniel was a man. Fully sanctioned, eighteen years old and legal by both pack law and human law. Yessette was way, way past the drinking age. He stared up at her with his head cradled in her lap and pondered when the transition from child to adult truly began and how much farther they both had to go.

Chapter 102

Shayla kept her ears peeled for news. The warriors were searching the city. Going on nothing more than a child's rendering of a house buried deep within the sprawling metropolis. So far, nothing had turned up.

Gina was quiet these days. She kept her worry to herself and spent her time staring out into the woods. Waiting by the window for her husband and stepson's return. If anyone could find him, Hunter could. Shayla prayed that Gina's hopes were right and that somehow Evan's drawing would lead Hunter to his missing son before it was too late.

R.J. wiggled in her lap. He reminded her of how grateful she should be to have her son at home, safe and sound. Carter was little more than a fleeting memory to the both of them now. Too many hurts layered one on top of the other, stacked like an impermeable wall of bricks. It was if the love they'd shared for a brief time had never happened at all. Sometimes, if she tried hard enough and opened herself up to the pain, she'd catch glimpses of him and of his life. She could still feel what he felt and share a random emotion that wasn't hers. Carter knew where Daniel was. Somehow, he was involved. Deep in her bones she felt it. If the link between them were still intact, she might be able to help Gina in some small way. Use the bond to find him. To find Daniel and bring him home.

"Too dangerous," The Great White Wolf proclaimed. Sexist. Leave the work to the big bad wolves and you stay home and keep the fires burning. What was next? Chaining the women to the stove? Archaic. A member of their pack was suffering and she was stuck here changing diapers.

There was no real evidence that what she suspected was actually fact. She might be able to locate Carter through what little of their connection remained intact. Then again, she might not. It was a risk. For days, she'd been debating on whether she should take it or not. Part of her longed to see him again, just one last time to finally get it through her skull that there was nothing left between them. If he were behind Daniel's abduction, that would mean he'd let out the secret the whole pack had entrusted to his keeping. She couldn't. No, she wouldn't love a man who was capable of endangering so many lives. She wanted to believe that the good she'd always seen in him was still there. But, she honestly didn't know if the Carter she once loved still existed or not.

She traced the rail of the crib with her fingertip. "R.J., how'd you like to see the big city?" R.J. looked up at her with his big brown eyes and blew slobber bubbles out of the corner of his mouth. Last she knew she was a free woman. Permitted to do as she pleased within the perimeters of the Pack Master's decrees. There was nothing preventing her from packing up R.J. and taking a little shopping trip was there? So what, if she just happened to bump into an old friend on her way to the mall? She didn't see the harm in a happenstance reunion. "Sleep tight Little One. Tomorrow, we're going on a big adventure."

Carter and O'Sullivan searched every inch of the department store with thorough accuracy. What Yessette had seen wasn't a hunter. Those hadn't existed in centuries. What she had saw, and what had obviously caught the scent of the boy on her hair and clothing was Hunter all right, as in Daniel's father, Hunter. He was getting closer and closer to their trail. They slid through the women's department and out the fire exit. In the confines of the stairwell the scent was still as strong as when Yessette had fled hours earlier. "Werewolf," Carter muttered under his breath.

O'Sullivan stomped down the stairs, eagerly memorizing the scent. He saw this as an opportunity to add to his collection. Perhaps he could conjure up an old friend for the boy. "Why are you so sullen, Carter? This is excellent news." He slid the hem of his jacket back to reveal the dart gun strapped to his waist. "My little family might gain another member tonight."

Carter pushed past O'Sullivan and hurried down the stairs. Not if he could help it. If O'Sullivan got his hands on another wolf, the things he could do to gain either one of the wolf's alliances were unimaginable. Torture. Starvation. Experimentation. As noisily as he could he forced the exit door at the bottom of the stairs open and let it fall shut with a loud clang. The alley was dark and silent around him.

O'Sullivan opened the dented door and brushed the sleeve of his jacket with his fingers. "Really, was that necessary? Perhaps, I'll capture a female and give her to you to play with. Honestly Carter, I don't know what has happened to your sense of adventure these days."

"The wolves are getting closer to finding us, Eric. Do you want to bring the fury of hell down on our heads? We've got to give Daniel back to them before its too late."

O'Sullivan twisted out of Carter's reach. "What if he doesn't want to go?"

"What?"

"Yessette can be very persuasive. Just look at how she's tamed you."

"You idiot," Carter hissed. His fingers shrank into a fist. He could pound Eric's face into the pavement. Yessette had nothing to do with his downfall. He did that himself, ages ago. "Yessette's cloak and boots are missing from the stairwell. They've got her scent. Her scent will eventually lead them straight to our doorstep. How can you be so unconcerned? They won't stop at getting Daniel back. If they have to come for him, Eric, they're not only coming for Daniel. They're coming for us."

"The all mighty Carter frightened by a harmless canine," O'Sullivan tsked. "Don't worry, I'll protect you from the wolves." His tone was condescending and he meant every biting word. As long as he had his tranquillizer gun, the wolves were powerless against him.

Carter spun on his heel toward the sound of a low, menacing growl coming from the alley's entrance. "I think you're going to get your chance." He crouched down in a defensive stance and braced himself for the inevitable attack.

O'Sullivan clapped his hands in glee. Maybe Carter, despite all his pouting and sullen ways, was a good luck charm. His fingers clutched the butt of the tranquilizer gun and pulled it from the holster on his hip. The wolf's black lips curled up, exposing deadly sharp teeth. Growls rumbled from the wolf's broad chest in warning. The fur on the wolf's back bristled. This wasn't a juvenile wolf such as the one he held, but a full-grown adult. His first shot went wild as the wolf uncoiled his powerful muscles and sprang for attack.

"UP! Eric! We've got to climb up the fire escape!" Carter rolled and dodged the wolf and scrambled for the rusty rungs of a neglected ladder. O'Sullivan bolted through the alley with the wolf tight on his heels. The pop of the tranquilizer gun echoed off the brick walls accompanied by the pained howl of a wolf as the dart found its purchase in the wolf's fur. The wolf, clumsily staggered on its paws as the powerful drugs worked their way through his system.

Eric flung a leg over the railing of the fire escape, narrowly missing getting chomped by the wolf. Carter did have his uses and, apparently, wolves their limitations. They couldn't climb. No opposable thumbs. Their furry flesh was penetrable by darts.

The wolf didn't stay down long and was back up on his paws, going after Carter. Carter hadn't anticipated the speed of the attack and somehow managing to remain standing despite the pain that seared through his thigh. The wolf had taken a nice chunk out of his leg. "Run!" He didn't know who the wolf was. Judging by its size and skill, the wolf was an alpha. "Get out of here!"

The wolf somehow was linked to the man inside of its body. Carter limped toward the ladder with a hand pressed to the gaping wound in his thigh to staunch the flow of blood. The wolf growled and flattened his ears to his head. Carter might not know who the wolf was, but the wolf knew who he was and saw him as a betrayer. The wolf spun and sped through the alley's narrow exit. Carter followed his with his eyes till the wolf disappeared around a corner. He only hoped the wolf's delay hadn't cost it its life. Weakly, he grabbed onto the bottom rung of the ladder and bolstered himself up.

"You let him get away!" O'Sullivan pointed the tranquilizer gun at Carter's head. Wishing he had the balls to pull the trigger on the only man who knew him as well as he knew himself. The smell of Carter's blood filled the alleyway. O'Sullivan cast a glance between the mouth of the alley and Carter. The debate over who to choose rattled in his mind. He could make new friends. An opportunity like the one the wolves presented only came once in a lifetime. He bounded over the railing and left Carter bleeding on the steel grates above him.

Carter felt their presence long before he smelled their scent on the cold currents of air. The Sons were approaching. Fast. His ex-brothers, the Guardians were closing in on their location from the west. They would be boxed in. Their only escape route cut off, if they didn't leave now. "Eric," he rasped, "let the wolf go. We've got to get out of here." They couldn't flee and chase the wolf too. O'Sullivan was going to have to chose which meant more, his life or the wolf. "Eric!"

O'Sullivan cursed. The words hung in a white cloud on the frost chilled air. He could feel the tingle run down his spine. Another of his kind was approaching, many of them. The damned Sons had to spoil his victory. In a huff, he abandoned the wolf chase and landed on the fire escape on silent feet.

The wound on Carter's leg had healed. His clothes were saturated with drying blood. The scent of his blood would lead the Sons straight to him. In turn, the coppery smell would cover up O'Sullivan's trail. "Go while you can. I'll keep them off your back."

"Noble, sacrificing yourself for me." O'Sullivan snarled. So close! He was this close to getting what he wanted. The wolf could have been his for the taking. Carter was right though. The Sons and the Guardians were too close. "Damn," he muttered, his fingers locking on the rungs above his head. Another day. For an immortal, or almost immortal, he was extremely impatient when it came to his goals. He exchanged a final glimpse at Carter and bounded up the rusty ladder. Carter had just as much to lose and was every bit as guilty. No secrets would be told today.

"Not planning to. Just giving you a head start. Go!" Carter shoved O'Sullivan hard and watched as he made his ascent up the fire escape. Landing gingerly on his tender leg, wincing at the jolt of pain. Carter knelt to the concrete and gathered up the used darts. Actually, things couldn't have worked out better if he'd planned the setup himself. He could lead the Sons to Daniel's location, if it weren't for one small problem. Yessette. They'd never let her live.

Hunter groaned and rolled over onto his back to be greeted by a canopy of dull orange light and smog. The city. Not one star could permeate the permanent din of electric light and humanity. Straining to lift his big body his bones and joints popped back into place as he wobbled on exhausted limbs. The clothing felt foreign against his skin after so many hours in his wolf's pelt. Rough fabric scraped against tender flesh. His strength was waning and fatigue becoming a constant companion. Quitting wasn't an option. Now more than ever, he had to find the will to keep up the search. He was so close to bringing Daniel home.

Carter! Hunter could scarcely believe that the man had betrayed him. Not only just him, but the whole pack. Perhaps that knowledge was what had zapped the remainder of his resolve. Hunter pressed his fist to his chest at the pain of Carter's betrayal. At one time, he would have called the man brother. Now, the only name for Carter was enemy.

Hunter stumbled out of a dark corner of the city. Just let some human try to mug him. He'd welcome the fight. His fists ached to unleash their fury on someone. Erase the pain in his chest for a few minutes. Win something. The sidewalks were cracked and crumbled beneath the soles of his boots as he made his way to the Guardian's command center. It was the most likely place the Sons would have taken Carter. A smile of determination curled the corners of his lips. He'd get the location of his son out of the stoic vampire, even if he had to beat it out of him. And oh, he hoped he got the chance to do just that.

Chapter 103

Bianca hovered in the corner of her office. Idiots! Carter and O'Sullivan both were the stupidest men she'd ever met. She'd warned them. BUT NO! O'Sullivan had to get greedy. And Carter! She knew he was a tool. But, to let himself get caught in the act? Really? Was she the only one that had any sense around here? They hadn't left her with much of a choice now had they? She was going to have to play her part or go down with them. Personally, she liked herself better than she liked either one of them. Martyr herself for them? Not happening.

Carter was chained to a chair in the middle of her office, bleeding all over her white carpet. Surrounded by Sons, the man had more than enough attention as it was. Such a little thing she'd done, but it was something to help. She'd called off her Guardians and put them on the streets to search for signs of O'Sullivan. Not that she had to worry about them finding him. Eric was too smart for that.

Inwardly, she winced at the sound of a heavy fist connecting with the hamburger meat that used to be Carter's nose. Not to worry, he'd heal, if they didn't kill him first. But really, she'd done all she could to help him without implicating herself. Carter would understand, as soon as he regained consciousness. She casually glanced over her manicure and settled her eyes on Michael. "It's been my experience that dead men aren't the greatest conversationalists."

Michael huffed and opened his fist. Blood stained the knuckles and dried tacky between his fingers. He raised an eyebrow at Marcus and shrugged at Bianca. "Just trying to get his attention." He wouldn't kill Carter. Not yet. That honor he'd save for Hunter, once they'd extracted everything out of the Rogue that they could. Guilt banged at the hollow space between Michael's ribs at the thought of denouncing Carter as a brother. But, how else could he think of the man slumped in the chains before him? "Don't worry, he'll live, for now."

"Wonderful." Bianca rolled her eyes in sheer exasperation for the situation she found herself in. She hated what the men had done to Carter. In a way, he deserved the ass pounding they'd inflicted by being so stupid. But, watching it blow by painful blow had been another story. Stupid or not, he didn't deserve to die. Not chained to a chair. Not like this. She had to do something to stop it. O'Sullivan wouldn't lift a finger to save Carter's ass. Apparently, if any ass saving were going to be done today, it was going to be up to her.

By now Carter was probably begging for his life. O'Sullivan didn't relish the reality of the thought. But, inside, he was filled with satisfaction. How quickly Carter had been reduced from his former lofty position to absolute nothing and how easily he'd fallen. O'Sullivan expected more of a fight from his protégé. There'd be no return to grace for Carter now.

Yessette pressed a finger to her lush lips to shush him as he slipped inside to room to check on Daniel. She reclined in the bed with Daniel's head nestled between her bare breasts, wearing nothing but a very pleased smile. Daniel slept contentedly as a babe in his mother's arms, completely oblivious to the implications of his actions. The room was filled with the mingled scents, his favorite aromas, those of sex and blood. "Well done," Eric acknowledged. She'd used her body to bring Daniel to heel like a dog on a leash.

O'Sullivan ran his eyes down her bare curves and shivered with the temptation of all that exposed feminine flesh. She was more dangerous and her weapon more effective than a nuclear missile at bringing about complete and utter devastation. He'd longed after her for centuries. Never understanding why she wouldn't cave to his advances. Now, he was grateful that she hadn't. Such a temptress was she that she might have brought about the end of him too with that body of hers. Eric slipped out of the room and closed the door gently behind him. Not bothering with locking it, he left. Daniel was his now and he wasn't going anywhere.

Chapter 104

Robert parked up the block and walked along the dark sidewalk. The glow of streetlamps and the yellow light cast from front porches illuminated his way. He felt like a stalker, a very creepy stalker. His palms scraped down the thighs of his worn jeans as he approached the house. Just a deep breath in, hold it for a few seconds, and then exhale. He could do this. A flashy red sports car was parked in the drive, so out of place in front of the neglected house's exterior. The car looked like something that would belong to a teenage boy. He was about to find out. "I can do this," he whispered to himself. His words puffed out in white clouds into the cold night air.

Creeping up to the car in stalker mode he hesitated. Maybe he had the wrong house. No he didn't. Over the years he'd sent birthday cards and cheesy Christmas gifts to the address and not once had they come back return to sender. Dread pounded through him in time with the pulsing of his heartbeat. Gingerly, with fingers trembling, he pulled off his gloves and reached out to grab the door handle. Opening his mind, he waited for the images, psychic impressions left like fingerprints on glass, to flood his thoughts.

Robert unleashed the secret he'd never told anyone about, not even Jess. The secret had driven him away from the crowded metropolis and into the sanctity of seclusion. He had a gift, more of a curse than a blessing. In the city, surrounded by hundreds of thousands of people touching everything. He couldn't control his gift. He'd left the city because he'd been driven out.

Random images, flashes of other lives, constantly invaded his mind. The simplest of tasks was almost impossible. With every passing year his gift had grown more and more powerful and more and more uncontrollable. He had to leave the city or be dragged slowly into insanity by the pieces of themselves that people left behind. After years of practice, he began to learn to harness his power instead of being its victim. He could have come back to the city once he'd learned control. But, by then, he'd already lost his wife and son. He had nothing to come back for.

1...3536373839...42