Dawn over Sun Valley Ch. 07

Story Info
Love and forgiveness, but will it be enough?
7.2k words
4.82
20.9k
19

Part 7 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 11/05/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note:

Brace yourself for a rollercoaster ride, y'all. This chapter will require buckling your seatbelts.

If you're counting with me, we have 7K more words here, and just crossed 60K! I think it will be just about 70K overall, and there's a real chance I'd actually make it to 'The End' in November. AHHH!

Okay. Here we go then. ~Shudders~ ~Deep breath~

SQUEEEEE!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

She was thirsty and tired and her back was killing her, but Leanne kept working doggedly. The end of the line was getting nearer with every pumpkin she picked. Soon she would reach it, and the reprieve she needed.

If it were just her and Julio out there in the field, she may have stopped mid-line for a drink of water, rest and some stretches. She knew he wouldn't mind; in fact, he would probably give her one of his fatherly, approving nods. But she refused to show any sign of weakness to Joe, after his show of reluctant concern the day before. She couldn't bear it. It felt too much like pity.

Or worse, he may think you're being lazy, and fire you on the spot.

So she increased the volume until her music drowned everything, even her thoughts, and kept at it with stiff-lipped determination. Just a little more. I can do this.

"Leanne!"

Her name was shouted so close behind her that she'd almost jumped out of her skin. Joe sounded annoyed; he must have called her several times without success. Leanne straightened and turned, too fast, to face him.

The field didn't stop spinning around when it should have. She looked up and tried to anchor her gaze onto something, only to be blinded by the glare of the sun reflected from his helmet. Her hand flew to shield her eyes even as a sickening background noise roared in her ears, and a moment later everything became dark.

*

"Leanne! Dammit, Leanne. Talk to me, please."

Seeing her crumble felt surreal. It was as if everything slowed down as he watched the flushed heat drain from her face and her legs fold under her as she collapsed. Her head knocked the ground with a muted thud, and then she lay there, unmoving.

At first, he told himself she was playing games, like she did back on their hike, when she tumbled down the hill on purpose. But then she was laughing and squealing in delight. Now, she wasn't making any sound.

With his heart pounding way too fast, Joe crouched next to Leanne's still form, and tried to get a reaction out of her.

There was none.

She hit her head. She must have been knocked out.With hands that were shaking almost too bad to function, he managed to get his phone out and speed-dial Tammy.

"Tammy, I need you back here with the truck ASAP. Leanne hurt her head. She's unconscious. Call Dr. Lewis on your way."

He barely waited for her 'gotcha, on my way' before he hung up and stuffed it back to his pocket, and then peeled his t-shirt off.

Check if the wound had penetrated the skull. Stop any bleeding by applying steady pressure. Don't move the injured person if you can avoid it.He forced himself to recall their last first-aid training even as he was ripping the cotton shirt into long stripes. Then, realizing he hadn't checked yet, he stopped mid-tear and shuffled closer on his knees, and reached under her head to get a feel for her injury.

There was a small gush on the back of her head. It was bleeding, but not profusely. Using his fingertips he tried to ascertain if her skull was fractured, but all he could sense was a quickly-swelling bump.

Okay. No obvious break, no foreign object stuck in, no brain matter visible. He resumed ripping his t-shirt, and, once done, folded one strip over onto itself until it formed a makeshift gauze, and pressed it firmly onto her cut using his whole palm.

Leanne stirred, and moaned in pain.

"Don't try to move. You hit your head. Stay still."

She stopped moving, and he wasn't sure if it was because she heard him, or passed out again. Panic started edging in. Where the hell was Tammy?

The first-aid instructor said to apply pressure non-stop for a full fifteen minutes; suggesting they timed it. Cupping his hand firmly to her head, he used his other to dig his phone out and set out a timer for fifteen minutes. Then he called Tammy again.

"I'll be there in two minutes. How's she doing?"

"Still unconscious, I think. Is Dr. Lewis on his way?"

"Yeah, he'll wait for us on the main road and assess her. If need be we'll continue straight to the hospital, if not we'll take her home."

"Okay. Please hurry."

"I'm almost there."

He could see the dust rising from the truck getting closer, and within moments Tammy was crouching at his side.

"How can I help?"

"I can't move my hand. Must keep constant pressure to control the bleeding."

Tammy bit her lips, and then nodded. "Okay. I'll put stress dressing on it, and then we'll get her to the truck."

She was already moving to do it, taking the leftover shreds of his shirt forgotten in his lap and tying two, and then three of them together. Then she had Joe place one of the thick knots atop the temporary bandage, and tied the long tails of cotton securely around Leanne's head to keep the knot pressing onto the wound through the soft layers of cloth.

"There, I think this should hold for a few moments. Let's get moving."

"Awwww!"

Joe and Tammy looked down to see Leanne staring, somewhat unfocused, back at them.

*

Her head was pounding something fierce. Leanne moaned miserably. She wanted to sit up, but it seemed even the slightest shift took superhuman effort.

Tammy pressed her hand to her shoulder. "Shh. Don't try to move."

"My head hurts."

"I know. You hit it on the ground when you fell. Does your neck hurt? Or your back? Anything feel broken?"

Leanne tried to get a sense of herself. "I don't think so. Just my head. And I'm really thirsty."

"Okay. I'll get you some water. Sec."

Tammy disappeared. Joe was still close to her side. Leanne closed her eyes; she couldn't handle him right then. Thankfully, he didn't try to talk to her.

Tammy returned with a small bottle of water. "Joe, can you help her up a bit?"

Joe's arm came under her shoulders to slowly raise her upper body. Tammy cupped her head carefully with one hand, and with the other brought the bottle to her lips.

The water tasted heavenly. Tammy only allowed her small sips, but she kept asking for more, and soon the small bottle was nearly finished.

"Wow. Okay. I guess you really needed that drink." Tammy smiled at her approvingly.

"Yeah. Thanks, Tammy." She was feeling a lot better already, even if her head felt it was about to explode.

Tammy looked at Joe. "Okay. Let's get going then. You pick her up, I'll make sure her neck and head are straight with her spine, just in case."

Joe nodded, shifted closer, and gathered her in his arms, while Tammy supported her head. Under different circumstances Leanne would have deeply enjoyed being pressed against his solid, warm, naked chest. As it were, every move was making her dizzy, and all she could think was - please, don't let me puke.

*

Together, they managed to move Leanne to the truck with minimal jarring, or so he hoped. She was in pain, and every choked whimper tore at him. But it wasn't until he was seated with her head cradled in his lap and Tammy at wheel, trying to balance the need for speed with keeping the ride as smooth as possible, that his mind came out of its emergency operating mode enough to pray.

God, she has to be okay. Please. Make her be okay.

He could taste his fear, acidic, sharp and sickening. He remembered the last time he prayed for a woman he loved to be okay. It didn't work.

This time is different.He told himself. It's just the heat. She'll be okay. She has to be.

*

Leanne knew she must be delusional because every time she opened her eyes she saw Joe's gaze upon her, dark with concern. She closed them and turned her head. Her cheek pressed to his naked belly, and the soft hair of his happy trail tickled her. She remembered all those times when she nuzzled and kissed and licked him there, and inhaled deep. His scent enveloped her, warm and musky, and so good it made her cry.

She shut her eyes tighter, but her tears squeezed from their corners and slid along her nose and into the hair at her temple. She felt Joe's thumb trail them, and her heart broke all over again.

She missed him so much.

*

The truck stopped and she heard more voices, and in the next moment Joe nudged her fully to her back, and someone was gently tugging her eyelids open one at a time, only to blind her with a flash of light which felt like a hot poke into her brain, but was quickly gone. She moaned low.

"Her pupils are equal and responsive, which is a very good sign." A kind, authoritative voice sounded, and then it came closer to her.

"Leanne, can you hear me?"

She blinked her eyes open. "Yes. I can." An older man was hunched upside-down over her through the open back door of the truck, his light gray eyes sharp and alert. She recognized him. He was the older gentleman she saw at farm, the one who looked familiar.

"Good! Very good. My name is Dr. Lewis. Can you tell me what happened?"

"I fell. In the field. Picking pumpkins. Hit my head."

"Okay." Dr. Lewis looked up at Joe. "How long have you been pressing on the wound?

Joe reached awkwardly for his phone. "Um, it's not yet fifteen minutes. About twelve."

"Okay then. Keep pressing. The bleeding doesn't look too bad, and she's conscious, with no obvious cognitive damage. I think it's safe enough to bring her back to the farm; I'll give her a more thorough exam there."

*

They were moving again, and it made Leanne dizzy. More silent tears came, and she choked another moan.

"We'll be there soon and then Dr. Lewis will give you something for the pain. I promise."

She shut her eyes against the gentleness in his voice. He still hates you. Don't fool yourself. Leanne kept her mouth shut and wished for the ride to end.

In moments, it did, and the door behind her opened to show Dr. Lewis peeking in. "What are we going to use as infirmary?"

"My cottage." Joe's replied flatly. Leanne stifled a whimper of protest.

"Okay. You need to get the bed ready. Better use a few towels under the bedding just in case, and if you have water resistant mattress protecting sheet, that would be even better."

"I'm on it." Tammy was already out of the truck, jogging toward Joe's cottage.

Dr. Lewis looked down at Leanne. "How are you feeling?"

"Lousy." She croaked, and then added - "Can I get some more water?"

Dr. Lewis patted her shoulder. "Just a few more moments, okay? I don't want you to get sick from drinking too much, too fast. I'll give you some IV fluids as soon as we're inside."

"'Kay". She closed her eyes, and tried to keep her mind blank. Thinking made it hurt more.

A few minutes passed. She tried to block out Joe's proximity, the supple warmth of his skin against her cheek. She wanted to ignore how big and solid and good he felt. More tears came. His thumb moved to trace them, and then stopped, as if he caught himself.

"All set." Tammy's voice sounded from outside the truck.

"Good. Joe, your turn. I'll support her head when you pick her up. Don't rush; slow and smooth, okay?"

Joe nodded and shifted to slide his arms under her shoulder and thighs while Dr. Lewis hands came to hold her head steady. Still, getting out of the truck involved a few rolls and pitches which made her dizziness and nausea intensify tenfold, and the throbbing in her head came rushing back to the forefront. Leanne whimpered, and Joe hissed 'shit, sorry', and then she was being carried more or less steadily to his place.

*

Fifteen minutes later Dr. Lewis came down the stairs, and Joe jumped to his feet. From the corner of his eye he saw Tammy rise, too.

"How is she, doc?"

"She's resting. I put her on fluids and gave her medication for pain and nausea through the IV, so she should be more comfortable now."

"How bad is it?" He couldn't sound cool right then if his life depended on it. He saw Tammy look at him funny, and threw her a dark look. Don't go there, sis. Not now.

"It's not. She's going to be fine very soon. The cut to her head was minimal and didn't require stitches, and if she has a concussion at all, it is very mild. She should be back to normal in no time."

Joe nodded, and Tammy spoke from behind him. "Why did she faint like that, doc?"

Dr. Lewis gave them each a pointed look. "Dehydration and fatigue, probably. She'd been out there on the field doing strenuous physical labor for close to nine hours today, and it's been hotter than usual. It would be easy to overdo it."

Joe was so pissed with himself he just barely kept the slew of curses that was about to roll off his tongue. He should have paid more attention. He knew she was just coming out of a sick spell.

"So you're saying a few more rest-and-water breaks and she'd have been fine?" Tammy sounded skeptical.

"You don't?" The doctor replied mildly.

Tammy shrugged, and Joe intervened. "She hasn't been feeling well lately. Could this be a sign of something more serious?" Say no, please.

Dr. Lewis looked from one worried face to the other, and his expression softened. "Look, I know you two are worried, but in all probability this is no more than a passing event. At any rate, I'll come back tomorrow to see how she's doing, and I'll give her a full physical, just to be on the safe side. I'd rather not do it right now because she's still quite nauseated and any movement will be uncomfortable; and honestly, what she needs most right now, aside from the fluids IV, is to rest."

Joe and Tammy nodded, and Dr. Lewis continued. "In the meantime, Tammy, there are a couple of things you need to do for her."

"Sure, I'm listening."

"Well, first, you cannot leave her alone tonight. I want someone in the room with her so that she doesn't try to get up from the bed unassisted; she's likely to fall again, and we don't want that."

"Right. I'll stay with her. What else?"

"Be sure to unhook her drip from her branula when the fluids bag empties, it should be in about a half-hour or so - you remember how to do that?"

"Yes, doc. I do."

"Great. Once you do that she'd be able to take a shower if she wanted to, but I want you in there with her; again, we cannot risk another fall. She can also hold it off until tomorrow - nobody died from a little sweat and dirt - or you can have her towel-wash the worst of it in bed."

"Got it. So we'll see you tomorrow then?"

"Yes. I'll start my day here. Expect me right after breakfast."

"Thank you, doc. We appreciate it very much." Tammy smiled and motion that she would walk him out. Joe nodded to them as they left. When they were gone he took a deep breath, and headed up the stairs.

He needed to see for himself that she was okay.

*

She was asleep. Her cut was dressed properly with a square of bright white gauze, and her pale face no longer scrunched up in pain as she rested on his pillow, her body covered with a light sheet.

He watched the steady rise and fall of her chest and relief rushed in his veins, even as frustration tightened his belly.

She was going to be okay.

And then she'll leave, and you'll never see her again.

Joe walked over to his single, padded chair, sat down heavily, and toed off his boots before propping his legs up on the low ottoman. He should be looking forward to it. Instead, he felt choked. He took quick gulps of air, and huffed them out, like he did to regulate his breath after a run. It didn't help. He wiped his face with his hands, only to realize they were wet with tears.

When was the last time he cried?He thought, staring at his damp hands, sensing the unfamiliar heat rolling down his cheeks.

Twenty years ago,he remembered. The day his mother died.

Fuck it all.

Joe buried his face in his hands, and let the tears come.

*

Some time later his front screen door cluttered against its frame, followed by the noisy descent of work boots up the stairs. He barely managed to wipe his face and then rub his hands dry against his work pants when his sister's ginger curls appeared.

Her eyes focused on Leanne's still form on the bed. "She's sleeping?"

"Ahem, yeah." He managed in a semi-steady voice, which made his sister throw him a quick glance, and then return to him fully with an audible gasp.

"Are you - Jeez, Joe, are you crying?!"

She moved over to his side and then came to sit on the ottoman, putting her hand on his knee over his pathetic protests.

"Okey, big brother. We need to talk."

Joe groaned internally. Let the interrogation begin. They've had those in the past, more than a few times, taking turns playing investigator-slash-shrink for each other. He usually didn't mind being in the hot seat; he liked his sister's perspective, especially when it came to these things. But with Leanne, he didn't think he'd have any answers. None that Tammy would like to hear, anyway.

But all he said was - "What do you want to know?"

"Well, for starters, why the hell did you break up with her?!"

Joe bowed his head. "You don't wanna know, Tammy."

She slapped his thigh sharply. "Oh, come on! Stop babying me, will you? I asked. I want to know."

He pressed his lips in frustration, feeling a muscle jump in his jaw. Fine, he conceded. Fuck it. She's a big girl. She asked.

"Leanne is William Richardson's daughter."

"William Ri-Richardson - you mean, the man who-" his sister stammered.

"The man who killed our mother, yes." He finished for her, holding her gaze. Tammy stared at him, wide-eyed.

"Well, fuck me."

"Yeah."

She fell into a stunned silence. Her hand left his knee to join her other across her belly as she rocked slightly back and forth while the news sank in. Joe felt sick.

"I'm sorry. This is why I didn't want to say anything."

His sister gulped hard, and met his eyes. "How - how long did you know?"

"Since Labor Day Monday. Dr. Lewis came early and joined us for supper, and he saw her."

"But-but how would he know her?" Joe couldn't resent the disbelief in his sister's tone. He wanted to deny it too.

"Apparently she looks very much like her mother, who was here the night of the accident. Look, Tammy, I checked it out. Found her birth certificate based on her social security number. William Richardson is listed as her father."

"But her name is Leanne Sommers."

"Sommers was her mother's maiden name. She changed it back after the divorce, for both of them."

"Damn."

They fell silent again. After a while, Tammy spoke hesitantly.

"Look, Joe, I get this was a shock. But you can't seriously blame her for what her father did."

He pursed his lips. "Of course I don't blame her for his actions, Tammy. She wasn't even four when it happened. But she was an adult when she decided to lie to us. To me. She came here on purpose - I'm not sure what for, exactly - but she kept his name off the forms, and she held up this charade for months."

"Couldn't it be a coincidence that she came here? She lives in Sacramento. She wants to study veterinary. She needed to gain some relevant experience. There aren't endless options in the area."

Joe gave her a 'come on' look. She grimaced. "Yeah, I know. That's a stretch. Still -" Tammy looked at him pleadingly. "I don't know why she came here. But it doesn't have to be some big, bad plot. Maybe she was just curious. Maybe she wanted to know what happened to us. People do all kinds of strange shit when they try to come to terms with their past."