Dawn over Sun Valley Ch. 08

Story Info
This is True Love - you think this happens every day?
10.9k words
4.88
20k
46

Part 8 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 11/05/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note:

It is 23:54 on November 30th, and I just wrote 'The End' for this story. 11K words on this chapter, 71K words total in 30 days, and most of them not complete drivel! I am officially stoked.

So, what can you expect in this chapter? Well, lots of twists and turns, but, eventually, Joe will manage to do *something* right. I promise.

Are you ready, y'all? Let's do thiiiiiiiiissssss!!

*****

"How are you feeling this morning, Leanne? Still in pain?"

Yes, but not the kind your pills would help with, Leanne thought. "No, no real pain. More like mild discomfort, really. I think I'm good, honest."

"Let's check, shall we?"

Dr. Lewis proceeded to check on her wound, sounding content to see that it was starting to heal, and then asked her to sit on the side of the bed. He had her follow his light with her eyes, do some simple math calculations in her head, and checked her reflexes. Then he asked her to stand up, and checked her balance and space orientation through a series of peculiar tests. She managed everything with no issues save for minimal dizziness.

"From the neurological angle you're fine, Leanne. Have a seat, and let's give you a quick physical, okay?" Leanne did, and Dr. Lewis continued. "Joe mentioned you haven't been feeling well lately; could you tell me more about that?"

"Um, there's not much to tell, really."

"Hmm. Any problems sleeping? Changes in eating? Feeling sick?" He asked matter-of-factly, while looking into her ears and her throat for signs of infection. It was strange, being checked over like that. Leanne couldn't remember the last time she'd been seen by a doctor. She tried not to flinch at the unfamiliar sensations.

"I've been under some stress so that may had something to do with it."

"Hmm. And how did it manifest itself?"

"I - haven't been sleeping great, that's true. And I think I may have had a virus in my guts; I did have some spells of nausea."

"Any diarrhea? Vomiting?" The doctor fit his stethoscope to his ears, pulling her shirt up her back so that he could place the scope in different spots.

"No. None." She said, and then at his indication, took deep, steady breaths. Dr. Lewis spent a few moments listening through her back, and then moved to her front, although he made sure to keep her covered, for which Leanne was grateful.

"Okay. So far so good. Let's have a feel for your internal organs real quick, shall we? Lie down on your back again for me, please."

Leanne lay down and pulled her top up to her breasts, and Dr. Lewis tugged her pants slightly down to her hipbones, and then started pressing at different points, deeper than she had anticipated, starting from the top, just under her ribs, and moving methodically down.

"Tell me if anything hurts or feels uncomfortable, okay?" He said even as he kept going, already around her midriff.

"Um, okay. So far so good."

When he got to her lower abdomen he paused and then pressed again, going at it from different angles, looking up to her face as if expecting to see something there.

"Something wrong, doctor?" She asked nervously

Instead of answering, he rearranged her pants for her, and indicated she could straighten her shirt. While she did, he turned to pull the ottoman from its corner and sat down next to the bed so that they were more or less at eye level.

"Can you tell me when was your last period?"

Leanne thought back, and then shrugged. "I honestly can't remember. I've never really kept track of it." She did briefly, when Joe and her were together, but once they'd broken up it didn't really matter.

"Okay. Can you try and pinpoint the last time you positively remember having had your period?"

"Um... in the summer. I can remember having it twice during the high season, so both in July and in August."

She wasn't bleeding on Labor Day, she remembered. The next moment, her stomach dropped. Shit, shit, SHIT. He didn't use a condom. Her pulse kicked and her hands shook as adrenaline shot into her bloodstream. No. This can't be -

"From your expression, you know where I'm going with these questions." Dr. Lewis said quietly, and Leanne braved a look into his eyes. There was no judgment in them, only compassion, and she felt her throat constrict with sudden tears.

"It was only that one time we didn't use protection." She whispered. Dr. Lewis repled gently.

"Sometimes that's all it takes."

"No... God. This can't - I can't be pregnant. I can't be. Please."

His pressed his lips, and gave her a level look. "While this isn't one-hundred-percent proof, your uterus is enlarged, and in my estimate the size fits about eight weeks gestation, which correlates with the last time you remember getting your period, and with the time you had unprotected sex."

She stared at him, her mind trying to catch up with the implications of his words. Dr. Lewis patted her hand.

"I can see this is a shock. The good news is, you're young and healthy, and it is still very early pregnancy. There's time to think this through and make plans. I understand you and Joe hadn't planned this, but -"

At her gasp he stopped, and then grinned knowingly. "Come on. I may be old, but I'm not blind, you know. I've seen the way he looks at you. And he did insist to bring you here." Dr. Lewis gestured around them; at the rumpled bed, which indicated more than one person had slept in it the night before. Leanne blushed red, and the older man sobered.

"I've known Joe since the day I helped his mother bring him into this world, Leanne. He's a good man, and he'll do right by you."

Her tears, so close to the surface ever since last night, spilled again. She tried several times before she managed to whimper - "It's more complicated than that."

Dr. Lewis's face grew serious. "It usually is. And there are other options, too, obviously. All I'm saying is, there's time to make these decisions, and it's best to make them together with the father."

Leanne swallowed hard. "Are you - are you going to tell him about - about this?"

Dr. Lewis gave her a long, hard look, and then spoke grudgingly. "I'm not allowed to discuss the specifics of your condition with anyone without your consent, Leanne. All I am going to tell him is if and when you will be fit to work again."

She breathed her relief. "Thank you."

Dr. Lewis shook his head as he got to his feet. "Look -" he sighed. "As your doctor, I am obligated to confidentiality, and I will abide by it. But as an old man who had seen a thing or two in his lifetime, I will say this: sometimes, life calls for a leap of faith. Do the right thing, and trust that he'd do the same."

Leanne sniffled, and wiped her tears impatiently. "I'll think about it."

Dr. Lewis nodded, and patted her hand once more. "You do that. I'll be on my way. I'll call to see how you're doing in a few days." He turned to leave, and then paused. "In any event, you should schedule an appointment with an OB/Gyn as soon as possible, just to verify everything is normal - listen to the baby's heartbeat, and make sure the pregnancy is located in-utero."

Leanne looked at him, wide-eyed. Listen to the baby's heartbeat? The concept was surreal. Her head started pounding from her mile-a-minute thoughts running around in it.

"Oh - okay, yeah. I'll do that."

With a nod, Dr. Lewis turned and descended the stairs, leaving her feeling lightheaded and dizzy.

She was pregnant with Joe's baby. Dear God. What was she going to do?

*

"What's wrong with her?"

Joe's lungs felt constricted when he saw Dr. Lewis's dark expression. The older man looked startled and then schooled his features and answered in measured tones.

"She is recovering well, Joe. Have her keep it light for a few days longer; I wouldn't want her straining herself too soon. Let's keep her away from the fields for the time being, and no heavy lifting; I'll check on her again next week and we can re-evaluate."

Joe blew the air he'd been holding. "So, 'keep it light' - is that full bed rest, or simply off work for a few more days?"

Dr. Lewis shook his head. "No, no need for bed rest. In fact, it would do her good to get up and walk around. But, yeah, no farm work for now."

Joe nodded. "Okay. Thank you very much, doctor."

"Of course. That's what I'm here for. You take care, Joe."

Joe walked the older man to the door, and held it open for him. "Thanks again. I'll see you soon."

With a wave of his hand, Dr. Lewis was gone. Joe closed the door behind him, and then turned and climbed up the stairs two at a time. But when he saw Leanne, he paused. She was sitting on the ottoman, putting on her work boots, and crying.

"What's wrong?"

Leanne shrugged and wiped her eyes impatiently. "I need to get to my room. Pack up my things."

"What?! What the heck are you talking about?!"

She looked desperate. "Please, Joe. I can't do this."

"Do what, Leanne? Rest? Heal?" He knew he sounded angry, but he couldn't help himself. She fainted yesterday. She still wasn't well. She can't be serious.

"I can't prolong this - this breakup between us. I won't survive a week-long goodbye. I - I need to go."

"How, Leanne? Where to? Who's going to take care of you until you're fully recovered? You can't be on your own yet. That's irresponsible." He was probably exaggerating. He stood by it, anyway.

Leanne gave him a 'come on' look, but then answered. "I'll be at Elaine's. My friend in Sacramento. I won't be alone."

Joe breathed deep. He knew that name. She was listed as 'next of kin'. "Alright, and then what?"

"And then I'll find another job, and another place to live." Her tone softened. "I'm a big girl, Joe. I'll be fine."

He stood there helplessly, and watched her finish lacing and tying up her boots, and then stand up and square her shoulders, clearly ready to butt heads with him some more. He stifled a curse.

"How will you get to Sacramento?"

"I'll hitch a ride to Santa Rosa, and then take the Greyhound. It's a little less than four hours ride."

"Are you sure you're well enough for that? Can't you wait until tomorrow, or the next day?" It wasn't going to change anything, he knew. But dammit, he didn't want to see her go.

Leanne shook her head miserably. "It'll only hurt more, Joe."

Joe exhaled heavily, finally acknowledging defeat. "Okay. Let's go get you packed, and then swing by Tammy's office to handle the administrative stuff. I'll take you to Santa Rosa this afternoon, and make sure you get to the bus station on time."

Her eyes swam with tears, but she gave him a brave smile.

"Yeah. Let's do this, cowboy."

*

They stepped outside into the bright sunlight, and walked hand-in-hand, crossing the large gravel courtyard toward the dorms. Leanne looked down at herself.

"I look like I'd escaped the asylum with this pink princess pajama and work boots combo."

Joe stopped and looked at her. "I think this outfit suits you."

"Yeah? You dig the crazy look on me?" She joked self-consciously, and he shook his head.

"You are a hard-working princess, Leanne. I love that about you."

She gulped hard, and quickened her steps. She needed to get out of there as soon as possible.

*

At her dorm room, she grabbed a set of clothes and went into the bathroom to change. Two minutes later she was out and pulling her backpack from under the bed, and five minutes after that all her worldly possessions were inside, and she was ready to go.

Joe took her bag and reached for her hand as they walked back across the courtyard to Tammy's office. She looked up and frowned when they came in, but then gestured for Leanne to sit. Joe remained standing, leaning against the wall at her side, since there was no other chair in the tiny space.

"You're leaving, then. You sure you feel well enough to travel?" Tammy looked at her, not unkindly, which, under the circumstances, was touching.

"There's no point in me staying further. I cannot work, and lounging in bed at your expense isn't what you've signed me up for."

Tammy frowned. "You were hurt while working the fields, Leanne. If you need a few days of rest to recover, it is only fair that you get them. We're not complete ogres, you know."

Leanne shook her head. "If this were the middle of the season, maybe. But by the time I'm cleared for work it'll be Halloween, and my contract would be up. Might as well cut it short."

Tammy sighed. "Okay. It's your call." She pulled out Leanne's green HR folder, and opened it to reveal a new checklist, yet to be marked, titled 'end of contract'. She started down the list with Leanne while Joe brooded behind her shoulder. The two women did their best to ignore him as they covered the short list. Key to dorm room, check. Two sets of work clothes, check. Work boots, check.

"All right. We're all done here." Tammy said as she marked the last item, while handing Leanne her last due paycheck. "By the way, I noticed you haven't yet cashed any of your previous checks." Her eyebrows rose in question, although her voice stated it as a fact.

Leanne bit her lip. "Yeah, well, I - I didn't get a chance to do it yet. I will, just as soon as I get to Sacramento and settle down." It wasn't a complete lie, she told herself.

Tammy nodded. "Yeah, I figured as much. Just see that you do as soon as possible, okay? I need to keep track of our cash flow and this much money out can be a problem if we don't plan for it."

"I - I understand. I'll take care of it, promise."

"Good. So, when is your bus scheduled to Sacramento?"

"Leaving Santa Rosa at 2:50 PM."

Tammy smiled. "Good! We have time enough for one last lunch with everyone. We'll make it a little goodbye party for you. See you at Noon at the dining hall? I'll let everyone know."

Leanne was going to protest but Joe just put his hand on her shoulder and answered for her. "That'd be great. See you there, sis."

At Leanne's startled look he gave her a half-smile. "Come. We've got just enough time to bid proper goodbye to the animals. I know they'll all miss you, too."

Leanne nodded and stood eagerly. Hugging her ponies and petting her fluffy rabbits may be just what her aching heart needed. "That'd be lovely. Thank you." Joe squeezed her hand. "Let's go."

*

The tables were drawn together so they would all be able to sit as one group. Michael McConnel sat across from her, and Joe was at her side. Then there were Tammy and Todd, Mrs. Rojas and Julio, all as friendly and warm as they'd ever been, talking and laughing while sharing the hearty, delicious food.

If Joe's father - or anyone else - was surprised seeing his son reconciled with his soon-to-be-leaving, ex-girlfriend, nobody said anything. Maybe Joe had spoken to him, too, Leanne mused. But Mr. McConnel looked at her kindly, and she didn't think he knew who she really was.

Her throat hurt, and she couldn't taste the food over the salt of tears. She will miss them all. She'll miss this place so much.

When they were mostly done eating, Joe's father clinked his spoon to his water glass. "Ahem, quiet down, people, I want to say a few words."

Everyone hushed and looked at him expectantly. Leanne's heart hammered in her chest. She didn't do well at situations like these. Her cheeks flushed. Joe squeezed her knee under the table in reassurance.

"Leanne, I want to thank you for choosing Sun Valley Farm for your first seasonal experience, and for the excellent work you've done for us over the summer and fall. You are a dedicated employee and a lovely person, and it was a pleasure getting to know you. I hope you have found your stay here as valuable as we all have."

Leanne coughed. "Ahem, thank you. So much." She barely managed. She couldn't breathe.

He seemed to start saying something else, but then thought better of it, and stopped, after throwing a quick look at his son. All he said was - "Good luck in your future endeavors. I know Tammy gave you a brilliant and well-deserved letter of recommendation, but if you need any further references, please do not hesitate to give my name, too."

"Thank you, sir." She choked. She needed to get out of there before she broke in front of them all. Leanne pulled her phone from her pocket and made a show of looking at the time.

"Gosh, Joe, we really should get going or I'll miss my bus."

Joe looked at the time, then at her face, and nodded. "Yeah, okay." Turning to everyone else, he spoke up. "Guys, we need to get going."

*

Everyone stood. Leanne went from one to the other around the table for a final goodbye.

Joe watched his father shake her hand and squeeze her shoulder fondly, and his stomach churned. If only I could keep her here under her false identity, he thought, but immediately banished the idea. His own sense of betrayal would pale in comparison to his father's, if he ever found out.

Mrs. Rojas and Julio each gave Leanne a big, warm hug, and she returned them wholeheartedly. When Todd bent to take her in her arms as well, and said something that made her laugh through her tears, Joe stiffened and cursed under his breath. Tammy looked up at him in surprise.

"What's wrong?" She mumbled, and Joe gritted his teeth, but then admitted to her -

"I think they may have slept together. The night of the party. I saw her leave his room the next day."

Tammy grabbed his arm and pulled him to the side, then hissed into his ear: "You are such a blind jerk, you know that?!"

Joe's startled, 'what did I do now' expression seemed to only grate on his sister's nerves. Her short fingernails bit into his arm as she leaned close to his ear.

"One," she pointed a single finger at his face, "you really think after what you did to her that night she'd turn around and look for another man to fuck her?!" He opened his mouth, but his sister wouldn't let him get a word in. "Two, having sex with a woman who's passed out drunk isn't 'sleeping with them' - it's rape. You accusing Todd of that is downright insulting." Her voice shook with her emotion. "Three," a third finger joint her first two, "yeah, she crashed at his room that night because she literally couldn't walk all the way to hers, but Todd didn't spend the night with her."

"How can you know that?!" Joe hissed back at his sister, and got a pitying look in return.

"Because he spent it with me, you moron."

"With - what?!"

"With me. In my bed. Like he'd been doing for months before."

"You - you and Todd?!" Once he said it, he realized it shouldn't be such a shock. They had been spending a ton of time together. He just assumed -

"Yeah. You got a problem with that?" His sister stood taller, hands on hips, and Joe was quick to raise his hands in surrender to prevent her from starting World War Three right there in the dining hall, while everyone else were staring at them curiously.

"Not a single one, sis. No Problem at all. You are right, and I'm sorry for - for being such a dick. We'll talk more later; right now Leanne and I need to get going."

Tammy deflated. "Okay, yeah. You guys go." She turned to Leanne, paused, and then stepped forward to wrap her in a warm hug. "I wish you could stay." She murmured, and Leanne nodded. "Me, too."

When they drew apart Joe put his hand at the small of her back, and together they walked out to his truck, where her backpack had already been waiting. Within moments they were leaving the wrought iron gates behind them.

"Goodbye, Sun Valley Farm." Leanne murmured, and Joe reached for her hand, and squeezed.