Deal With a Devil Ch. 01

Story Info
Jess is blackmailed into marriage by a devilish billionaire.
2.9k words
4.38
10.6k
18
3

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 01/16/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Afia
Afia
20 Followers

'No! There is absolutely no way I am agreeing to this!'

The vehemence of her refusal shocked her parents into momentary silence. It was obvious to Jessica that this wasn't the reaction they had expected to get from her. But how could they? They had no clue as to what it would do to her to actually see him again. The very thought was enough to overwhelm her with panic.

Pacing in the carpeted floor of her parents' living room, she was determined to make them understand why she couldn't see him. Her father looked haggard and worn out, an utterly defeated look shone in his pale blue eyes and it broke her heart to see her once proud father in this condition. Sitting beside him with her back ramrod straight; lined with age, Eleanor Ashworth's beautiful aristocratic face was expressionless but her eyes were shooting daggers at Jessica. Her mother did know how to look dignified even when she was fuming.

Jessica sighed deeply, the words she uttered next spilling out of her mouth unbidden.

'Do you have any idea what you're asking me to do?'

'And do you have any idea what the consequences will be if you don't?' her father counted, bounding off from the sofa and looking her squarely in the face.

'Surely, there are other avenues we could explore,' she reasoned. 'I'm sure there are some investors or banks that could be convinced to grant you a loan until the company is back on its feet.'

Her father's eyes darkened with despair. 'You don't get how bad it is, do you? The company isn't mine anymore. I have sold all my shares to maintain the upkeep of this family and our expensive lifestyle. All my savings have been used to settle my gambling debts. I have asked my so-called friends and business associates to help out and they have all slammed their doors in my face. There is nothing left, Jess. We are completely broke.'

Jess looked on in dismay as her father staggered back on the sofa, running his hands through his hair in a gesture she recognized as frustration. How could he have allowed this? She was very well aware that he hadn't been in a stable state of mine since the tragedy that shattered their family into pieces but she hadn't known that his gambling habits had skyrocketed. She tried to think of someone who could help them without demanding a pound of flesh.

Her mind flew to her grandparents but she hastily dismissed the thought. Her father would never agree to it. Her mothers' parents had always believed that their daughter had married beneath her station and that her father wasn't good enough for her. Jess knew without an iota of doubt that her father would rather sleep on the streets than ask them for help.

'Antoine is willing to buy back my shares of the company,' her father fudged on. 'He even promised to bring in new clients and help me get new deals. He only demands one thing in return but he'll only discuss this with you.'

Her mother's eyes met hers in a deadpan stare. 'Kate would have agreed without hesitation.'

Jess's heart cracked open at her mother's words. 'Mother, how could you say that to me?' she whispered the question.

Eleanor flinched when she heard the pain in her daughter's voice. 'It is the truth. We've never asked anything of you. Are you going to turn your back on us the one time we need you?'

She spun around and closed her eyes to stop herself from shedding the tears that were perilously close. Her mother was right. Her parents had never asked anything of her. They had pampered and spoilt her rotten when she was younger.

There wasn't anything she would want and her parents wouldn't give. Whether it was expensive clothes or trips to exotic foreign countries all over the globe, all Jess ever had to do was just ask.

It didn't matter what it will cost her, she had to do this for her family. Her parents didn't know any other life except that of luxury. Her younger brothers were attending one of the most expensive schools in London and unlike her; the sixteen year old twins were very serious with their education. She couldn't be thinking about herself right now. That would be petty and selfish and she had laid rest that side of her a long time ago.

Taking a deep breath, she turned around and faced her parents who were anxiously waiting for her decision. 'When does he want us to meet?'

The relief she saw on their faces told her she had made the right decision. 'Tomorrow morning,' her father replied, scratching his head distractedly. 'I'll give you the address of his London offices.'

She nodded her head and managed a strained smile. Just what had she gotten herself into?

As soon as Jess stepped out of her parents' mansion, she recalled the dinner date she had with Russell. She wished she could cancel. The bombshell her parents dropped on her had completely ruined her mood. Knowing Russell, however, he probably had her favourite dish cooking on the stove. Besides, she could use someone to talk to. As she drove to his apartment, her mind kept replaying the conversation she had had with her parents.

She kept wondering why Antoine would ask for her. Arriving at Russell's complex, she alighted out of her car and tightly secured the belt of her coat around her midriff. The December chill was hostile and forbidding. Her teeth were clattering as she hurried inside the complex; the warmth of the building chasing out the cold. She rode up to his floor and rang his doorbell. He opened the door with a big smile on his face, his emerald eyes twinkling with pleasure. She rushed into his arms, deriving momentary comfort in his embrace.

He rubbed the small of her back lovingly. 'What is up with you?'

She pulled away from his arms with a nervous laugh. 'I need a drink first.' She walked passed him and headed straight for the bar. Pouring herself a full glass of scotch, she slumped on the sofa and took a hefty sip. 'Is that roast lamb I smell?' she instantly brightened, her stomach rumbling in anticipation.

'Yes it is. Just placed it in the oven.' He sat beside her, a worried expression on his handsome face. The wild look in her eyes frightened him. 'What's going on?'

Jess wasn't quite sure where to begin. It has been three months since they began dating and Russell had proved himself as someone she could trust. He was a strong, reliable man with a good heart and she was beginning to develop deep feelings for him.

'My father gambled away his company.'

He looked suitably shocked. 'How did that happen?'

She put down her glass of scotch as her hands began to tremble. 'I had an older sister, Russell. Her name was Kate,' her voice quivered as she said her name. 'She died in a car accident when I was seventeen.'

'Why have you never told me about this?' His voice was barely a whisper.

'Because I still can't talk about it without breaking down.' The tears she had been fighting to keep at bay started falling. 'My parents were inconsolable with grief. Both of them found a way to deal with their pain. My mother retreated into a world of her own, keeping me and my younger brothers' at arms' length. I can't remember the last time she even gave me a hug,' she said this with a watery smile but the misery in her eyes told him that there was nothing remotely funny about the situation. 'Gambling was my father's way of escape. I had no idea things had gotten this worse until he told me today that we literally have nothing to our name.'

'Your father is a respected business man with a good reputation. There has to be a way he can reclaim his company.'

She was shaking her head before he even finished speaking. 'He has been repeatedly turned down. Have you heard of Antoine Leroy?' she suddenly asked.

He rolled his eyes. 'The French billionaire who is the biggest philanthropist in Europe? Who hasn't? Are you telling me you know him?'

'Our fathers became friends while studying together in Oxford,' she explained. 'He is the only one who has agreed to offer us help.'

'That's great news,' he said. 'Why don't you look happy?'

'That's because he wants something in return and he'll only discuss this with me.'

'I agree that his request is a little odd but why are you so apprehensive about the matter?'

'Russell, the man hates me with a passion.'

His eyes showed his confusion. 'What did you do to him?'

Jess averted her eyes away from his probing stare. The words she wanted to say stuck in her throat.

'Well, why does he hate you?' he prompted.

'Antoine was in love with Kate. He holds me responsible for her death.'

'Is he crazy? How could you have had anything to do with your sister's death?'

Jess's eyes darkened with the guilt that was ever present in her heart. 'I caused the accident that killed my sister.'

***

How long was he planning to keep her waiting? Her patience was running thin just as her apprehension was increasing by the second. Antoine's sectrary had informed him of her presence as soon as she arrived. That had been an hour ago. She felt like a lowly subject waiting to be granted audience with the mighty king. Was all this part of some elaborate scheme he had planned for her? The more Jess thought about his strange request, the more convinced she was that it had something to do with her. If that was the case, it wouldn't be anything good.

These unsettling thoughts weighted heavily on her mind and fed her rising panic until it threatened to overwhelm her. She willed herself to calm down. A mask of serenity fell over her face. Like a shark that senses blood, Antoine will strike mercilessly at the slightest sign of weakness. Dwelling on the fact that her family needed her strengthened her resolve.

'Miss Ashworth,' his sectrary began in a polite voice, 'Monsieur Leroy is ready to see you.'

Tightly clutching her white quilted tote bag, she got up from her seat and headed for his office door, seeing it was left ajar, she pushed it open and stepped inside; her silver bow stilettos barely making a sound as she glided across the carpeted floor. He was on the phone with his back turned to her. She decided to take a seat and allow him to finish his phone call. She took off her snow dusted coat and placed it on the unoccupied chair, revealing a stunning black belted pencil dress with a studded cropped jacket on top. Her unbound honey-blonde hair framing her face like a halo.

As her eyes travelled along his lithe figure, unwelcomed thoughts stirred in her mind at the devastating way his Armani suit outlined his impossibly broad shoulders.

Finishing his conversation, he swivelled around and gracefully descended on his high decked chair. She sucked in her breath and forgot to let it out. Her pulse quickened as she met his unbelievably beautiful eyes; those translucent amber orbs that so resembled a feline cat's. The predatory gleam that swirled in their depths reminded her that he was just as deadly.

A spike of fear shot through her as it sank in that right at that moment she was his prey, completely at his mercy. This didn't stop her heart rate from accelerating at an alarming rate when he suddenly smiled although it didn't contain an ounce of warmth.

She told herself that the sudden increase in her temperature had nothing to do with the sensuality and raw sex appeal that oozed out of the man with every breath he took. It had nothing to do with his ridiculously thick long eyelashes that shouldn't belong to any man or the fact that his full well sculptured twin lips were utter sin.

What did it matter if he was still the most heart-breakingly handsome man she had ever laid eyes on? She might have considered Antoine to be every woman's fantasy come to life eight years ago but she had been a silly seventeen year old back then who didn't know any better.

He leaned back against his chair, his laser beam stare totally focused on her.

'I wasn't expecting you to actually show up,' his deep baritone resonated, his French accent barely perceptible.

'You didn't give me much choice now, did you?' she fired back.

'You could have very well chosen to deny my request,' he annoyingly pointed out.

She bristled at his words. 'If it were up to me,' she lashed out, determined to set him straight, 'I would never be in a position where I have to deal with you. I'm only here because my family needs me to be.'

He raised a perfectly arched eyebrow. 'Since when has your family's needs mattered to you?'

Her cheeks reddened in anger. 'Seeing as you have such lofty opinions of me,' her voice dripped with sarcasm. 'It is only natural that you would say that. According to you, I am a selfish princess who only thinks of herself.'

'I believe my exact words were a shallow, self-centered and spoilt princess who thought the world revolved around her.' His eyes flashed with amusement as he said this. 'Are you telling me there is more to you now?'

It was at the tip of her tongue to give him a venomous retort and walked out of here but an image of her father entered her mind and she knew she had to put a tight rein on her temper and replied in her sweetest voice instead, 'We didn't come here to talk about me. Tell me what you want in return for helping my father.'

'I must confess that I'm quite impressed,' he drawled, brushing aside her question as if she hadn't spoken it.

She sighed, exasperated. 'With what?' she asked through gritted teeth.

'You are beginning to make a name for yourself in the world of Art.' The condescending tone his voice had taken threatened to snap her control. 'Imagine my astonishment when I discovered you were a painter. What was even more shocking was the realization that you are actually descent at it. Never in a million years could I have imagined you have the creativity or the resilience of an artist.'

'The fact that you would assume to know what I'm capable of, Antoine, only tells me you've only grown more arrogant over the years,' she told him; the mildness of her voice sugar-coating the rudeness of her words. 'Now, are you willing to help me or not?'

'Oh I'm quite willing to help,' he hastened to assure her, ' Providing I get what I want in return.' The wicked gleam in his eyes frightened her more than his words did.

She braced herself for the worst. 'What's it going to take?'

'I want to marry you.' The words rolled out of his mouth casually, as if he was telling her he wanted to have a cup of tea with her.

Jessica went absolutely still. She couldn't have heard him right. A million scenarios had run through her head as to what Antoine's demands would be. Not once had she even remotely thought of this. Had his senses taken leave of him? Was he so desperate to get his revenge that he was prepared to ruin both their lives?

'This is about Kate, isn't it?' she whispered softly. 'It's about you being able to finally exact the punishment you believe I deserve.'

His gaze turned glacial. 'Do not mention her name to me!'

'She was my sister, Antoine,' she intoned, voice laced with agony. 'Do you really think losing her hasn't been punishment enough?'

The clenching of his jaw told her she had hit a nerve. 'My reasons for wanting this marriage to take place are none of your concern,' he said in a curt and dismissive voice. 'Think about what you will be getting in return. Your family's financial constraints will vanish within the twinkle of an eye. Your father's company will be reclaimed and restored to what it was. Michael and Gabriel will be able to finish their education.'

'And I will be trapped in a loveless marriage with a man who hates me,' she finished for him, her heart sinking at the hopelessness of the situation. 'You are more delusional than I thought if you believe I would ever agree to that.'

His lips twitched in a smile. 'The marriage doesn't have to be forever of you don't want it to be.'

Meaning?' she asked with skepticism.

'We can have an amicable divorce after a year if you desire to end it,' he stated as a matter of fact.

She paused for a second as the impact of his words sank in. Dare she even consider this insane proposal?

The words he spoke next answered her question. 'However, during the course of that one year, you will be my wife in every sense of the word.'

'I'm getting out of here.' She grabbed her coat and stood up to leave.

He swiftly rose from his seat and took her hand, branding her with his touch. 'For once in your life, think about what your family needs.'

She shot him a withering stare and yanked her hand from his. She couldn't run fast enough to get away from him.

Afia
Afia
20 Followers