Defying Gravity Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I slowed, dragging her back as she kept hold of my arm. A worried look fell across her face at my reaction.

"I wouldn't have asked you to go out if you were." We stood there for several seconds just looking into each other's eyes.

"We should be getting along before we get a towed." She smiled and surprised me when I caught the hint of colour in her cheeks.

I savoured the feeling of the closeness I possessed as we walked through the Quadrant. Mom, wearing her heels, could look me dead in the eyes and as she talked she held my eye contact just a fraction longer each time. The Jade Garden was across the street from Rossi's. As we entered Main Street my date instinctively turned right towards Rossi's. A group of us had been there many times and in a way it was our place.

"You're going the wrong way," I said, nodding towards the Jade Garden. Her eyes lit up.

"You're spoiling me," she leaned closer and whispered.

"I am and you'd better remember it." She gave me a warning look. "Besides you are worth it."

"So right you are!" Two could play that game. I knew it and she did too. We laughed as one.

Entering the restaurant we were showed to a small, secluded table in a quiet corner of the room. When the front of house manager departed we exchanged a look. A waiter appeared and we ordered mineral water.

She smiled softly. "I was surprised when you asked me out. I didn't think that you'd noticed me last night."

"I definitely noticed you," I answered.

"I wasn't so sure about you, especially when I saw you with your three girlfriends. I thought you might be a player."

"I don't think so, not with a face like this," I said suddenly and then bowed my head in shame.

I felt a soft cool hand caress my scared cheek. "It's a kind face. It's a nice face. I think that it's a beautiful face. Please don't hide it."

I look up. Mom's eyes were filled with compassion.

"Last night was so crazy I didn't even ask you your name," I said slowly.

"Katherine though most people call me Kate," she answered.

I paused.

"So, how are we doing so far Katherine?" I saw her shiver as I called her by her name. Only Grandpa Jones called Mom by her given name.

"So far so good," she answered. "You were called Wash last night, is that your login name or something?"

I shook my head, "I got the name back in junior high. There were two Dan Carters in my grade so I became DC. Then this guy called Ryan started calling me Wash, after Washington DC. I prefer to be called Daniel."

"Daniel," Mom said quietly to herself.

"They're not my girl friends," I said suddenly. "Becca, Jane and Charlie are girls and they are really good friends but they are not my girlfriends. Becca is my best friend; that is after my Mom. She's my hero."

"She's a lucky girl."

"No, it's lucky me. She spent every hour in the hospital at my bed side. She even had the nurses put a mattress in my room. That is something that I will never forget or be able to repay."

We were silent for a moment.

"I think that you should know that I have a boyfriend."

I closed my eyes and shook my head, "You should have told me that before. I'll take you home."

Mom tilted her head to one side. "Before you do perhaps you should know that agreeing to go on a second date makes the guy sitting across the table my boyfriend." A smile tugged at the corners of my mouth.

"You're still not going to get lucky mister."

The waiter took that moment to arrive at our table. We ordered a selection of dim sum. Mom was still looking at me as the waiter moved away.

"I have to be home by midnight." I nodded.

"It's the same for me too."

The waiter arrived with a half dozen small bamboo baskets. He laced them on the table between us and explained each dish as he removed the lid from each basket. A second waiter arrived with the deep fried dim sum, spring rolls and a platter of Szechuan ribs.

"Did we order all this," I said once the waiters had departed our table.

I took care in placing the chopsticks in my right hand. I knew that Mom was looking on with interest. This was the test I had given myself after leaving hospital. I had surprised the nurses, doctors and even Mom by announcing that I would only be happy with my recovery when I could hold chopsticks and eat a complete banquet. They had expected me to mention playing the guitar.

I took care as I lifted a small prawn dumpling, dipped it into a small bowl of soy and lifted up to Mom's lips. She bit into the delicate pastry. I ate the other piece.

"I could get use to this," announced Mom. I nodded. The dumpling was as good as the last time that I remembered.

"So, tell me about your music. Who do you like?"

I thought for a moment. "I like songs rather than artists or bands." I mentioned Glenn Miller, Neil Diamond, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. My mention of the Black Eyed Peas and Rhianna came as a surprise.

"So what's your favourite song?"

"Of all time?" Mom nodded. "Louis Armstrong, we've got all the time in the world."

She was quiet for a moment. "Why didn't you sing it last night?"

I was thoughtful for a moment. "It's private. To me it's a love song to be shared with only one person, not with an audience of strangers."

"Would you sing it for me?"

"Yes." I bit into a spring roll. A sudden burst of fresh chillies brought tears to my eyes.

"So what music do you like?"

"I like Country music, but not the real depressing stuff about dying dogs and heart break. I liked some of the rat pack stuff too." I knew that she and Aunt Paula liked Sweet Caroline; it held good memories from them both.

"If you can guess what my favourite song is you might get a kiss goodnight."I let it tumble over in my mind.

"So, this second date, it would be ok with me if you chose something that you like doing," I said.

"I can choose anything, and you'll go along with it?" I nodded. "In that case one of us may be thinking of a third date."

"Does that mean that we're going steady?"

"We'll see." I lifted the last prawn dumpling and saw it snatched from my grasp. Mom had a wicked look of triumph in her eyes. I started to hum. At first it was in my mind but I soon realised that I was thinking aloud.

MmmmmmMmmmmmmMmmmmmm. Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high.

There was a flash in her eyes. It was fleeting and undecipherable. As I sang I watched Mom's eyes glance away and I realised that the restaurant had fallen silent. I didn't stop singing. More than that, I couldn't stop myself either. When I finished I opened my eyes and found Mom was crying.

"Hey," I said quickly, reaching out to take her hand in mine. Mom held on.

"It's OK," she said. "They are happy tears." I looked at her, concern still etched on my face. I had made her cry too many times.

"Honey that was beautiful, thank you."

"I make you cry too much." My soul felt heavy in my chest.

"Yes but you make me happier than I deserve to be." Mom smiled. "I'm fit to burst. I can't eat another thing." We had made a sizeable dent on the food that had been laid out for us.

Looking up I caught the waiter's eye and signalled for the bill. The front of house manager appeared at our table a couple of minutes later and informed me that the bill had been paid by another customer. I asked her to thank them once we have left. I knew that it was a private gesture. I pulled $20 from my wallet and left it as a tip for the service.

Outside we stood for a few moments each to our own thoughts. It was still only 22:00 and a perfect late May evening.

I smiled. "Would you like to go for a walk?"

Mom slipped her shawl around her shoulders and then slipped her arm through mind. As her hand moved down my arm she took hold of my hand. Our fingers interlaced together.

"Oh," she suddenly chuckled to herself. "I know what we are going to do for our next date."

When I heard her say, 'our next date' a strange buzz filled my brain sending a shiver running down my spine as the hairs on my neck sprang up.

"Now, don't ask me what it is because it wouldn't be a surprise."

"I wouldn't dream it."

"Liar," she retorted.

We walked along Main Street and stopped every so often to look in the windows of the boutique stores lining both side of the street. As we came upon a small delicatessen that was just preparing to close for the evening we went inside and bought the last remaining cheesecake. We strolled back to the parking lot.

I unlocked the passenger door and held it open for Mom to climb inside. I was gifted with another glimpse of white lace. Only this time I was sure that I could see a faint shadow where the delicate material had formed along the fold of her pussy. I pushed the door to and walked around to the driver's side as if walking on air. Opening the door I was surprised to find that Mom had slid across the bench seat to sit in the middle.

I fastened my restraint and then checked that Mom had hers fastened. The back of my hand grazed across the curve of her stomach. There was a moment when her hand rested on mine and then the spell was broken when the sound of laughter filled the cab. Glancing over my shoulder I spotted two couple standing next to a Lexus SUV. I recognised them and knew that it was time to leave. I started the engine and pulled out of the parking lot. AS we headed home Mom moved closer, leaning against me. Her hand moved to rest on my leg. I felt her finger curl around my leg to caress my inner thigh. I was conscious of her hand for the entire ride home.

I pulled up behind the minivan. I switched off the engine and we sat in silence. I climbed out but strolled to the passenger side to open the door for Mom. I was once again treated to the sight of her sculpted legs. I'm sure that she knew that I was looking. Following her inside I closed and locked the front door and then stopped. I fell against the door with Mom was standing only four steps away at the bottom of the stairs. She closed the gap between us in five easy steps.

Looking deep into my eyes she reached up and cradled my scarred face in the soft palm of her hand. Instinct took over and I turned my face slightly and kissed the flesh between her thumb and first finger. Her voice was no more than a whisper.

"It's a kind face."

I raised my eyes and looked deep into Mom's bottomless green eyes.

"It's a nice face."

There was wonderment in her features.

"It's a beautiful face."

Mom moved silently on to her toes and kissed me softly on the lips. My mind went blank and my lips felt like lumps of dough. Just as she started to break and pull away I reacted by nipping at her lips with mine and then returning the kiss.

I heard a moan. Mom's hand slid up my face until her fingers were entwined in my hair. My kiss eased and then I was once more hungry. I fed greedily. I was hungry for the taste of the woman who now held me in her hands.

My hands were circled around Mom's waist. I started to trail my right hand up along her spine, feeling her skin beneath the material of her dress. My fingers caught on her bra strap and settled there. My other hand headed south and settled on the upper curve of her ass. Her butt was solid and exquisite. Mom's hand slipped from my face and covered the hand resting on her butt. She didn't make any attempt to move it.

Mom pulled my head down and then broke the kiss. I opened my eyes slowly. Mom was breathless, her chest heaving for control.

"I had the best time in a long, long time, Honey."

"Well, you have something to live up to next time."

"Next time," she repeated thoughtfully.

I looked at her for a second. Drawing her hand down my face she cradled my cheek. Leaning forward she kissed me softly on the lips. She tasted sweet, of strawberries and citrus.

"I love you Daniel."

"I love you too."

A soft smile appeared on her lips, drawing my eyes down and my mind into making wishes. Her soft touch on my chin brought me back.

"Just you remember who said it first. Good Night, Honey. Don't stay up too late" I watched her walk to the stairs where she paused for a second to look back over her shoulder.

"Have you any plans for Friday?

I nodded. I saw a flash of disappointment in her eyes. "I have a date."

3

"Danny, turn on your laptop. You're on You Tube!"

I had finished in the garage when I heard the screech of tyres out front and went to investigate. Becca was scrambling out of her Volkswagen Beetle; she tripped, stumbled and ran a few steps before regaining her balance. I heard a scream of laughter and realised that it was Becca laughing at herself. The instant she saw me she yelled that I was on You Tube.

"Becca, what are you going on about?"

"I'm talking about you, singing." I stared at her. "If you don't believe me then take a look for yourself."

Becca shoved her cell too close to my face. The image was blurred. The sound was distorted, but it was me. I knew the when and I knew the where. The words of the song started playing in my head.

"You're famous," Becca squealed.

"What's all the noise," Mom asked. Hearing the commotion she had walked around the side of the house. "Oh, it's you Becca. Are you staying for dinner?"

"Miss Kate," Becca was shouting with excitement. "Danny's on You Tube."

Mom took hold of Becca's cell and moved it to where she could clearly see the images. I was standing on the small stage at Breens. Becca could be seen behind her keyboard.

I was watched them closely and then Mom's eyes moved to look directly at me. I felt as if she could see through me with the intensity of her stare. Her face softened and she smiled. I wondered if the awkwardness between us had gone.

12