Demon's Grace Ch. 21-23

Story Info
I walked into the parking lot and...
7k words
4.74
11.6k
9

Part 12 of the 19 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 03/13/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
akbunny
akbunny
190 Followers

CHAPTER 21

I walked into the parking lot and unlocked the door to my jeep. "Are you coming with me?"

"Where are you going?"

"Oh, I thought I'd go to a bar, get wasted and drive home drunk. Want to baby sit me while I throw up on you?" I narrowed my eyes and grinned evilly at Taurin.

"So, you're going home."

I slid into the front seat and started the engine. "Are you coming or not"

He crawled over my body so fast that I barely registered it. I turned my head to look at him sitting in the passenger side. "You know, you're kinda creepy."

"Not half as creepy as Ezra if he'd show you."

"Well, you're in a creepy section all your own." I grinned good natured at him as I moved the car into the street. Taurin didn't grin back.

He grabbed my bag and started to rummage through it. The car steadily got colder and I turned on the heat, in the damn summer no less. "I hope this heat makes you as cranky as your cold does to me," I told him blandly. "And thanks for asking if you could go through my things."

"What have you been doing?"

I glanced over at him and saw him scanning the print out. "Exactly what I said I was going to do, research. Any familiar names on that list? Wait, let me rephrase that, any names of lucifers on that list?"

"Some I killed myself. This is good research. It's not all of them though." He continued scanning the list. "I see Ezra and my names on it."

"It's not like they had a file for lucifers, the Affairs' Office probably doesn't even know the term exists because you demons are so damn secretive. That's saying a lot if your part of the supernatural community," I said as I glanced at him briefly.

"These are the names of unfulfilled warrants with multiple deaths. And when I say multiple I mean multiple," I stressed.

"And this number on the side of each name?"

"How many unfulfilled warrants." I answered.

"I see Ezra has one of the most."

"I did the research, you don't have to point it out to me. Anyway, my notes only include demon hunter deaths and not others. I'm sure yours would have a higher mark if you were found out sooner."

Taurin merely grunted. "What are these pen marks by the side of the names?"

"My indication that there has been some type conclusion in the files. See, you and Ezra. There aren't very many files with happy endings."

"Do you have a pen in the car?"

"Glove box. Why?"

He got the pen out and started marking up the paper. "I can fill in some of the blanks and indicate which ones I know are lucifers or are dead."

"My next step is to see if they start pulling warrants from this list for me."

"Then you would have to become a tracker if there is no current information. The ones I see here have been around for a very long time."

I shrugged.

He turned towards me and stared hard. "Dove. Even I have no desire to meet up with them. Many of these names are not lucifers. Demons going lucifer is not common."

I looked at him out of my peripheral vision and said dryly, "I wonder why that would be?" I paused dramatically. "Because you're all crazy already?"

Taurin opened his mouth to reply and then strangely closed it without making a come back. He massaged his forehead briefly and asked instead, "How are you feeling since the fight?"

I rotated my shoulder at his words. "My arm is sore and there are times when I feel as if Kiesh's fist is still in my chest. Not a comfortable feeling when you're in front of a computer, or driving, for that matter. How 'bout you?"

"Taking in his power countered most of the effects of straining my magic into the shadows through you."

"Huh." I paused. "So, what have you been up to?"

"Finding out the location of the owner of the servant who attacked you," he said blandly.

I kept my gaze on the traffic ahead of me and kept my disgruntled thought about his usage of the word "owner". Instead I asked, "Did you succeed?"

"Yes."

I waited for him to say more. He didn't, so I continued, "Anddd?"

"And what?"

"And what did you do?" I said with exasperation and then muttered under my breath. "Demons."

"I did nothing."

"Oh. Did I miss something?"

"No." Taurin looked out the window. "I know where he is."

"O.k." I drawled the word out. "Are you going to tell me anything else?"

"Yes."

I had a feeling that he was finished talking at this point. He had a stillness to him that I had never felt before, even his scent faded to barely a whisper. Together we kept silence in the jeep. I cranked the heat up to battle with the cold he was pouring off.

When we reached the house he stepped out calmly, even carrying in my bag for me. I opened the door and he put his arm in front of me to stop me from entering. His eyes remained their beautiful blue as he stared into mine. "Dove, do you know that we have no desire to be bound to demon hunters?"

I stared into his human looking eyes. "No."

"We don't." He gave me a hard stare and walked into the house ahead of me. I just stood there for a moment trying to grasp what he didn't say. As I turned into the house I glanced at Ezra leaning against the entryway that led into the kitchen. He, too, seemed to be in a similar mood. I closed the door quietly.

"If there's something that needs to be said then say it." I tossed myself carelessly onto the couch and crossed my jeaned legs. Taurin placed my backpack on the floor and the papers on the coffee table. He sat next to me, but his eyes stayed on Ezra. He started talking in demon. I rubbed my eyes and stood up to walk to the bathroom.

"Where are you going?" Taurin demanded.

I raised an eye brow at his tone and turned my head partly to look at him. "When you're ready to include me in the conversation I'll be here." I kept walking during the brief silence and felt put out because neither of them stopped me. I took a shower and lay face down on the bed in my robe. I was falling asleep when I felt the bed give way from weight.

"Taurin says the owner we are looking for is trapped by a sorcerer. One who is trying to kill him."

I didn't move from my position. "Mmmph err." I murmured into the pillow and moved my face to the side. "Then why was the woman in the elevator trying to kill me?" I said a bit more coherently.

"The sorcerer is a member of the council of the Affairs' Office and he would be aware that you tied yourself to Taurin."

I turned my head toward him. "I still don't get it. It's not like my death would do anything to either of you."

Ezra didn't say anything for a bit. "You would be a lure and a taunt."

"There's something you're not telling me." I looked directly into his flickering eyes.

"Plenty."

I took a deep breath for calmness. "Yeah. That's true. Does this sorcerer have a name?"

"Ray Cliven."

I laughed quietly. "Ray. Ray, the sorcerer. Wow. So tell me whatever it is you two have decided to tell me."

"This..." He paused and I heard Taurin speak in their language to him. Ezra shook his head and grimaced. He continued, "demon is trapped. Taurin does not know for how long he has been with the sorcerer. He told me that he has been attacked by other servants before. The one that attacked you is the third demon that has been involved. He is trapping demons and using them to try to kill Taurin."

I looked at him trying to figure out what was wrong with him, knowing he was unhappy about something he was saying. Unable to figure it out I simply stated the obvious, "Demons don't work together. This demon wouldn't give a damn if the sorcerer wanted Taurin dead or not."

Ezra looked at me.

"Present company excluded." I paused in thought. "What happened to the other demons? And how can a sorcerer blackmail a demon to get them to do what you want?" I sat up and leaned against the base board behind me.

Ezra gave me a disbelieving look.

"Ok scratch that. I'm sure there are any number of ways."

Taurin stood just outside the door frame. "Dead."

I gave him a quizzical look and patted the side of the bed as an invitation for him to sit down. He looked over at Ezra, who gave the smallest movement with his eyes. I wouldn't have noticed it if my attention hadn't been drawn to him due to Taurin's look. I watched Taurin walk in and flick his long blonde hair behind his shoulder. He sat down on the opposite side of the bed from Ezra. "He had them kill each other."

I looked at Taurin as I considered what he said. "Huh, that's... interesting... so, what did you do to get this person mad at you?"

Taurin waved his hand nonchalantly. "I siphon off his magic every month or so."

I nodded my head as if this made sense to me. Demons never ceased to amaze me. "Hmm... and ah, does he know you do this or did he find out later?"

"Absolutely. It was his payment."

"For what?!" I asked in astonishment.

"Saving his life from a demon he inadequately trapped."

"Wow. I actually didn't have to pull that explanation out of your ass. You just gave it to me." My smile turned into something suspicious, "What's up?"

Ezra continued, "He has become more experienced at capturing us, demons, but not so skilled at planning his vengeance."

"He is too afraid to try to kill me when we are face to face," Taurin stated matter of fact. "I bring him to me for our monthly appointment through the power of our agreement."

"Monthly appointment. I see. Since he's more experienced you think he will capture one of you if you go directly to his home. You're hoping I can surprise him." I looked from one to the other. Ezra's face remained blank while Taurin's looked determined.

Ezra spoke up again, "There is something else."

"What?"

"He has learned how to siphon off energy from demons. His arrogance will increase if we confront him in his home with the demon in striking distance." He directed a stern look at Taurin as he said this.

I exhaled noisily. "What about the demon. What can I expect and why not have a demon he trapped kill you directly?"

Taurin spoke up. "I could not get close enough to him. Too many wards. Although his fury permeates the house. His name is So'aan. As for sending a demon to kill me, well, the farther away we are from the sorcerer the easier it is for us to get loose."

"That whole proximity thing with demons again. Huh. So am I suppose to kill Ray and free So'aan?"

"It would be easier if you would, although So'aan is unpredictable."

I shook my head. "Yeah, so what's new?"

Taurin ignored my remark and continued. "I don't know if the cage will be released with the sorcerer's death. I don't know if So'aan will try to kill you." He paused. "Do you know how to trap a demon?"

Definitely not in my best interest to answer that question. "If I said yes?"

"Then I would ask you to unravel the sorcerer's lock."

"What about the council? And has it ever occurred to you that I might not be willing to kill another human?" I could see by the bafflement on their faces that they didn't.

Taurin started to speak, but I waved him aside. "What if we told the Affairs' Office about him?"

Ezra gave me a pointed look.

I sighed. "Yeah. Probably not the brightest idea. What about the demons on the council? I'm sure they would not want that knowledge known?"

"True," Ezra said slowly. "We would be seen as weak if we could not handle this problem. Taurin would be seen as a threat since he unwittingly taught a sorcerer how to drink from a demon while they are caged," he glared at Taurin, "inadequately or not. I know that I would want to kill him if our circumstances were different."

"It was not unwittingly," Taurin snipped back at Ezra.

Ezra goaded him, "What were the odds that he would figure it out Taurin when you have siphoned off of him for years?"

I interrupted Taurin's defense and directed a bland look at him. "Obviously good. Anyway. At least I wouldn't have to kill another human."

Taurin put two fingers under my chin. "He already tried to kill you. Will you not protect yourself?"

I let myself be drawn into the hard beauty and manipulation of his icy eyes and asked, "What of So'aan?"

"If you must kill him then do so." He breathed cold air onto my face.

I continued to gaze at him even as my breath started to fog in front of us. "I will help you again, Taurin. That is why you are with us anyway."

His voice came out slow and soft. "I suggest that we go tomorrow. He already has moved into Portland to be closer. He has a small house provided by the Affairs' Office. So'aan is there. Alarms go off, you get me out of any wards, he comes, I'll kill him."

I continued to watch the ice in his eyes crack and reform. I cleared my throat a couple times to get some words out. "That doesn't sound like a very detailed plan."

He shrugged, "Planning takes too long. What about the cage?" His voice turned cajoling.

"What cage?" I asked softly.

I watched his eyes get even closer to my face. "Do you know how to unlock them? Do you know how to make them? How can I kill him if you can't get me out."

I willingly let myself get caught in their depths. I shook my head as I realized that they were waiting for an answer from me. "I'll figure it out." I watched Taurin turn his gaze to Ezra and added, "But I would hate for So'aan to kill me if I was distracted with it."

"We will be there," came Ezra's voice behind me.

I felt his warm fingers thread through my hair. I pushed my head back into his palm. They moved simultaneously. Ezra gently pulled me down by my hair while Taurin placed his cool face on the side of mine. Before I fell asleep I heard Taurin say to Ezra, "I think we both underestimate her."

CHAPTER 22

We arrived at the house by early afternoon. It was brick and nestled close to its neighbors. Since it was daylight I was hoping that most of those neighbors were at work. I pondered that as I watched Taurin feel for the warding. Taurin was positive that Ray would feel our interference and come to inspect. My argument was that he would bring reinforcements. They were convinced that he wouldn't want to bring his illegal actions to other's attention. We'd find out soon.

"When Ezra and I walk through that door we will be trapped. Not as thoroughly as So'aan and ours will only be an inconvenience because of you. Your job will be to unbind us and hide before the sorcerer makes it here."

I stared at him, "You have a lot of faith in my abilities."

Taurin didn't answer, he just kept his gaze on me as he determinedly walked backwards through the doorway. Ezra moved forward and never turned around. I watched Taurin look around at the prison I could not see. Both vanished from view.

"Shit!" My sword made dissonant sounds in my head. The notes of the two demons became erratic and unnerving. "Fuck it." I walked in.

I didn't know what to expect when I walked in, but it wasn't a bully breed hell hound. I stared at the huge smooth head staring right back at me. Nails clicked on the tile as it walked closer. I gave the hound a lopsided smile. She stopped and sniffed my crotch. I pushed her head away and she sat down in front of me.

"Well, sweetheart, you're a stroke of good luck."

There's a joke that demon hunters and hell hounds shared a gene or two. That was the reason why they never attacked us. It was laughed about that we must smell like a dog. Only demon hunters got to laugh in public about that joke. I pulled my sword out and placed it under the dog's nose. I grinned and in a sing-song voice said, "Find the assholes."

She immediately stood up and stared at a closed door on my right. I felt around for magic and opened the door cautiously. She walked down the stairs and into the basement in a quick trot, nails clicking. Minimal light revealed the room as a cluttered laundry area. She stopped and snarled at the two demons briefly and then took up a stance in front of another open entranceway. Her hackles rose as she growled menacingly. I looked into that darkened room and knew So'aan was in there. I turned my attention to Taurin's pacing.

Demon hunters are required to learn all the ways to trap demons. It was taught to me in theory and, as usual, reality is so much different then theory. Then again, I never wanted to get involved in any part other than straight out killing. Looks like my life changed more than I wanted to acknowledge.

I learned that there are many keys to open a lock, some are held in the binder, others in an object and still others in the bound. I searched for an object. It was taught that controlling a demon effectively was suppose to be very personal, these cages weren't. Which told me I had a short time line before Ray was here.

I looked at the crudely constructed traps with my inner eye. The lines were not made for any specific demon, so freeing them, in theory, would be easy. I stepped close to Taurin and used my palm to touch the bindings. My hand tingled from something I couldn't see. I looked at Taurin briefly and noticed that his eyes seemed to be telling me to hurry. I laughed happily.

"Holy shit! You can't talk! I really gotta figure this one out!" Taurin restrained his anger at my words with effort, which only made me laugh more.

Ezra moved his hand across the invisible wires of his cell. Flames and smoke flared where he touched it. I looked at him briefly, "I get your point."

"Demon hunter." Called a gravelly voice from the darkness. The hound lowered her head and bared her teeth. I looked into the entryway and a chill ran up my spine. "Come play with me."

Taurin made an impatient movement and I focused on his trap. Following the lines was taking too long. I glanced around the room for an object that would call to my mind as a key. Supposedly, if I was talented enough, I would be able to see the line thread from the trap to the key. I sighed in frustration and grabbed onto the threads of Taurin's cell and pulled them towards me. As I inhaled I noticed that they pulsed, almost like a heartbeat. I pulled them closer and focused in on the way they made the surrounding air vibrate.

The voice in the darkened room spoke again. "I recognize your scent. He told me that if I brought you here that I would go free."

I shuddered. The hound looked intently up the stairs and trotted up them. Uh oh, I looked faster. There. I followed the vibrating air to a framed Dali reproduction on the wall and walked towards it. I moved it off the wall and looked at the manacle crudely etched on the wall behind it. I could 'see' the two threads from the cells tied around it. I looked behind me and saw them stretch across the room to start the pattern of entrapment, winding themselves through air and brick. I used my second sight to see the manacle as real and simply untied the strings with my magic.

The cells unraveled and I watched the two demons disappear. Without pausing I hurriedly entered the darkened room and pulled my blade free. The incantation engraved on the floor pulsed to life. It flickered like fire and gave a soft green glow to the windowless stone room.

My eyes were all for the demon standing in the circle of that glow. His sleek tail whipped back and forth behind him. The force of his eyes made me hesitate from getting closer. That and the fact that he was completely naked, his skin showing uneven vertical lines running the length of his body. I felt a blush rise to my face.

"I never believed his lies." His voice was deep and growling.

"Then why try to kill me?" My voice came out thin despite the fact that I could feel the barrier imprisoning him. I slowly walked farther into the room.

"Why not? He wanted you alive, therefore I wanted you dead. Are you here to save me?" His voice came out scornful.

I stared into eyes glowing with yellow lines that competed with the light of the room.

"He would have brought you back to life... or had me do it."

I shuddered at his words, there were too many possibilities there. I watched Ray enter the room from my vantage point across from the entryway. The sorcerer stood in the doorway and barely glanced at me. I couldn't miss his pasty appearance, glassy eyes and quick breathing. I was sure he was on drugs. I clicked my tongue in surprise that he still worked for the Affairs' Office.

akbunny
akbunny
190 Followers
12