Derby Line Marriage Ch. 26

Story Info
Discovering Jovita's heritage.
975 words
3
4.8k
1
0

Part 26 of the 32 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 08/12/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jtuf
jtuf
19 Followers

The week passed quickly, and Jovita and Hanna were soon enjoying their Saturday together. After a festive Shabbat lunch, they walked hand in hand from Hanna's Greenwich Village apartment to the National Museum of the American Indian in the Finance District, exchanging pleasantries along the way. Hanna was excited about looking up the indigenous aspect of Jovita's Puerto Rican heritage, although Jovita did not share this enthusiasm. At the museum, they started with the Infinity of Nations exhibit, a collection of artifacts from indigenous peoples throughout the Americas. There was a depiction of a Mayan ball game and an Inuit parka among sundry other pieces. Each item intrigued Hanna. Jovita feigned interest out of politeness.

Having completed the exhibit, Hanna said she needed the restroom. Jovita waited outside the bathroom door for her. Hanna came out after only a second inside. "The bathroom light is off," Hanna casually mentioned. Jovita opened the lavatory door and turned on the light for her Jewish girlfriend. Hanna looked at her awkwardly. "Do you think you need the bathroom too?"

Jovita rolled her eyes. "Yeah. I guess it could use a piss." The two ladies took care of their business in neighboring stalls. "Is this what I have to look forward if we live together?" Jovita asked.

"Sorry," Hanna said. "I know it's not fun being a Shabbat goy, but I promise it won't happen too often." The pair washed up and moved on to the museum's Resource Center.

At the resource center, Hanna found a book about the Taino who inhabited Puerto Rico before the Spanish arrived. She summarized the content for Jovita, "It says here that the Spanish decimated the local Taino population when they enslaved them. Chalk up one more atrocity for Colonialism."

Jovita sighed. "Colonialism wasn't all bad. It brought Christianity to the New World. Spain was at the forefront of spreading Catholicism. If the Spanish hadn't driven out the Moors, I probably wouldn't be saved today. Besides, I'm sure I've got more conquistador blood in me than Taino ancestry."

Hanna turned to Jovita. "The Spanish didn't just drive out the Moors. They also expelled the Jews. My ancestors had to feel from Spain to Egypt thanks to them. The Jews that stayed behind had to either convert, be executed, or hide their Jewish faith from the public. Even today, some Conversos live outwardly as Catholics while staying Jewish in their heart. They keep a few of the Jewish traditions and pass them on to their children to preserve their heritage."

"The expulsion of the Jews was over half a millennium ago. Maybe you should let it go," Jovita suggested as she checked her watch. "We should move on if we want to catch the sunset. It's almost 4 pm, and it's a bit of a walk from here to the Irish Hunger Memorial."

The women were silent as they walked up Broadway and along Liberty Street. They paused as they passed the 9/11 memorial. Jovita grabbed Hanna's hand and told her that the Freedom Tower was finally open for business. Hanna squeezed her hand tightly as she murmured her approval of the progress.

Both women entered a convenience store inside the World Financial Center. Jovita bought cheese, bread, and fruit for their dinner. Hanna thanked her for taking care of the meal. "You cooked a wonderful lunch for us," Jovita pointed out. "We're merely exchanging value for value."

The Irish Hunger Memorial was just north of the World Financial Center. A grim facade greeted the pair as they approached the monument. The loud speakers played quotes about the famine mixed with Irish music. The narrow space that lead into the memorial made Hanna and Jovita feel a bit claustrophobic. It opened up to the roofless ruins of an old Irish cottage. The path continued up to the roof of the landmark which was landscaped to resemble an Irish meadow. At the top of the slope, the ladies had a clear view of the Statue of Liberty and the Jersey City skyline across the Hudson River. The sun was starting to dip below the high-rises in Jersey City.

Jovita handed Hanna a block of cheese and started nibbling on some bread. "You know, the American tribes weren't the only ones who suffered from Colonialism. The Irish had a difficult time under British rule. I've never agreed with the way history books decry Colonialism in the Western Hemisphere but ignore Irish suffering just because it happened east of the Atlantic."

Hanna dived into the cheese and took a pear out of the shopping bag. "What did the British do to the Irish?" she asked.

Jovita answered her, "For one thing, they made the Irish famine much worse. The potato blight was natural, but British socialist polices made the hunger much worse. The Corn Laws prevented the Irish from importing food from other lands to make up for their crop failures. Over a million people died from the famine, and a million more had to leave the island."

Hanna gazed at the Statue of Liberty, "At least America's generous immigration policies at the time allowed the Irish to find refuge here." Then she broke of some cheese from the bock and handed it to Jovita. "Are you sure you don't want to come back to my place for havdalah?"

"I've got a long subway ride back. Maybe another week," Jovita responded before wrapping her arms around Hanna. The couple held each other as they watched the sunset in the west until the sky turned dark. Then they said their goodbyes and parted ways.

By the time Jovita got back to her Brighton Beach apartment building, the sky was full of stars. Smiling, she looked up at the celestial objects. As per her family tradition every Saturday night, she counted 3 stars for good luck before going inside.

jtuf
jtuf
19 Followers