Derby Line Marriage Ch. 28

Story Info
Hanna meets Jovita's family.
1k words
2
4.9k
1
0

Part 28 of the 32 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 08/12/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jtuf
jtuf
19 Followers

Jovita drove down the exit ramp off the Taconic Parkway and on to Route 55. The car she and Hanna had rented for the trip handled well. Hanna sat in the passenger's seat checking her text messages. One text from her father had good news. "My dad says he and mom want us to come to their place for New Years Eve so they can introduce you to the family," she reported to Jovita. "I knew they would come around in time."

"Count me in," Jovita replied as they rode into Poughkeepsie, NY. She glanced at the clock. "We made good time, considering the holiday traffic. We'll even be a bit early."

"Do you think your parents will mind?" Hanna asked.

"Nah, they are very laid back hosts," Jovita said.

"Is there anything I should know before we get there," Hanna asked.

"Not really," Jovita replied as she parked on the curb in front of her parent's home.

Hanna took in the modest two-story home that Jovita had spent her high school years in. Jovita's parents and grandmother still lived there while the kids were grown and scattered along the Hudson Valley. The front door was open for them already. Hanna got the pumpkin pie they brought out of the car trunk while Jovita walked up the front steps. She hurried to catch up with her girlfriend before they both entered the house.

The front door lead directly to a living room where Jovita's family was watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV. The eldest was Jovita's brother who sat on the couch with his wife and children. Next came 3 sisters, all older than Jovita. Two of them had husbands in tow, while the third sat by herself. Jovita's mother entered the room, alerted to Jovita and Hanna's arrival by the sound of the screen door slamming shut behind them. "You're early," she declared as she hugged Jovita and Hanna in turn.

"We over budgeted for traffic," Jovita explained. "Mom, everyone, this is my girlfriend, Hanna." The family waved hello to Hanna as Jovita rattled of the names of her sundry relatives. "Where's dad and grandma?"

"Dad's carving the turkey, and grandma is finishing up the pastries," Jovita's mother replied.

Hanna presented the pie she held, "We brought this for dessert."

"Thank you," Jovita's mom said as she took the offering. "Make yourselves at home. We'll be starting dinner in a few minutes," she instructed before bringing the pie into the kitchen.

"Jovita told us you're Jewish. I hope you don't find the lot of us Catholics too intimidating," Jovita's brother said.

"Not at all," Hanna answered. "I feel very comfortable here among likeminded people. 'Jews earn like Episcopalians but vote like Puerto Ricans,' as the saying goes."

Jovita's siblings looked at each other uneasily after that faux pas. Her brother spoke up, "Not always. Puerto Rico elected a Republican governor in 2008."

Jovita came to Hanna's defense. "But they switched to a Democrat when Padilla won in 2012."

"Padilla barely beat Fortuno. They could go red again next time," Jovita's brother insisted.

"Oh, look. There's the Snoopy balloon," Hanna said to change the topic. Everyone turned their attention to the classic character on the TV.

Jovita's mother called out from the dining room to announce that dinner was ready. The younger generations filed in and sat at the table. After grace, they dug into the abundant feast. Hanna skipped the turkey and any dishes with meat, but there were plenty of vegetarian side dishes to fill her up. Over dinner the family talked about their jobs and weekend activities. Hanna learned that Jovita's brother oversaw work at an apple orchard in Dutchess County and that one sister raised funds for Sisters of Life, a Catholic order that helped women spiritually heal from abortions. Jovita's parents told how the family moved up to Poughkeepsie from the Bronx when Jovita was starting high school to escape the high rents and bad city schools. Between bites of cranberry sauce, Hanna described her artwork and how she spent a typical Shabbat.

Soon it was time for Hanna and Jovita to clear the table. As they stacked dishes, cups, and utensils into the dishwasher in the kitchen, Jovita asked Hanna what she thought of her family.

"They are very loving," Hanna answered.

"I'm glad you like them, because someday you'll be a part of the family too," Jovita said. One arm reached around Hanna for a quick embrace. "I think it's time we got engaged."

Hanna's eyes lit up. "Me too."

"When do you want to do it?" Jovita asked. "And who's going to get a ring for who?"

"We can go ring shopping together in a couple of weeks. Let's exchange rings on Christmas. Then we'll have the entire day to be together."

"Let's do it at Rockefeller Center. It will be perfect," Jovita suggested.

"Sounds good," Hanna agreed. The pair went from a gentle embrace to a tight hung before bringing the desserts and coffee out to the dining room.

Jovita's grandmother noticed the extra affection that her granddaughter and Hanna shared when they came back from the kitchen. After dessert, she asked Jovita to help her wrap up the left over desserts. Alone with Jovita in the kitchen, she braced herself for a serious conversation. "What are your plans for you and Hanna?" she inquired.

Jovita beamed with excitement at the opportunity to share the good news. "We're going to get married."

Jovita's grandmother held her hand lightly. "Then there's something you should know."

Jovita was taken aback by the somber tone in her grandmother's voice. "What is it?"

The elderly lady gripped Jovita's shoulders. "We're Jewish. You, me, and the whole family are Jewish. It's a secrete we've kept ever since the Spanish expelled the Jews from Spain. I was planning to tell everyone on my death bed, but considering your plans with Hanna, I thought you should know now."

Jovita didn't know how to react to this new information. She managed to utter a quiet thanks as she finished putting the remaining desserts into the refrigerator. Her grandmother returned to the dining room, leaving her in solitude to consider her identity.

jtuf
jtuf
19 Followers