Derby Line Marriage Ch. 29

Story Info
How homes get built.
863 words
4
4.7k
1
0

Part 29 of the 32 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 08/12/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jtuf
jtuf
19 Followers

Zac leaned over the rail of the observation deck of the Empire State Building looking north beyond the city. He appreciated the long unobstructed view as only a man who had been behind bars for years could. Benjamin slapped him on the shoulder and said, "I just looked at the view from the south side. You can see the Freedom Tower clearly and the ocean beyond that."

Zac turned towards his new friend. "I don't know which I like better, the distant suburbs or the nearby skyscrapers. New York City has more skyscrapers than any other city save Hong Kong."

"That's because Manhattan is an island," Benjamin said.

Zac replied, "There's more to it than that. Plenty of cities are on islands, but they don't have Manhattan's skyline. That skyline is a testament to the economic freedoms that existed here a century ago. Back then, governments respected property rights enough to let land owners build whatever they wanted on their land. That freedom make it possible for builders to meet the demand for working and living space by building as high as technology would allow. Iron and steel bended to people's will to make gigantic new habitats for them. When the Woolworth Building opened in 1913, it was the tallest inhabited building in the world. An article about it dubbed the building the Cathedral of Commerce."

Benjamin smiled at Zac. "Good point. So, what's the story behind the Empire State Building?"

Zac answered, "This building and the Chrysler building proved that even the Great Depression could not stop progress. In 1929, a race between the two started with their designs. They were competing to be the tallest building on Earth. Construction of the Empire State Building began in 1930. One year and 45 days later, the finished skyscraper stood at 1,250 feet. It remained the tallest building on the planet until the World Trade Center took that title in 1972." Zac looked skyward and continued. "As builders created more and more skyscrapers, technological innovation went hand in hand with market forces to satisfy ever greater demand for space. With those innovations and freedoms, New York City found room for millions of immigrants and generations of babies. When Americans needed more space, they colonized the sky. Do you know what Germans did when they thought they needed more living space? They invaded other countries and killed the Jews. I tell you, I'll take American values over European ones any day."

"I hear you on that," Benjamin agreed. Then he pointed several blocks north to a skyscraper that reached higher than their current location. "What's that building? I don't remember seeing it before."

"That's 432 Park Avenue," Zac said. "They topped it out already, and it should be finished in 2015. At 1,398 feet, it is currently the world's 15th tallest building. It's a condominium complex."

Benjamin whistled as he gazed at the tower. "Wow. Just imagine living in one of the top condos and seeing the view from there every day." Turning to Zac, he broached a delicate subject. "I need a bit of advice. You're bi, right?"

"No, I'm straight," Zac corrected.

"OK. Anyway. My friend, Patrick, is bisexual and married to a great woman who I've also befriended. I've been feeling romantic attraction towards him for years, but I don't know how to handle it. The last thing I want to go is have Patrick cheat on Francis with me. I thought ..." Benjamin tried to find the right words for his question. "You have two wives. How does a married man go about dating seriously and creating a group marriage?"

"Polyamory isn't for everyone," Zac warned. "You have to be careful of the feelings of all those involved. Make sure you get Francis's permission before you and Patrick date. Then go out with him. See if you two have romantic chemistry. It also is best if you have good chemistry with his wife."

"Francis and I have great chemistry," Benjamin assured him. "She's my baby mama, and we agree on many political topics. She's practically a libertarian when it comes to people's private lives."

"When do you think you might make your move?" Zac asked.

"My boss offered to transfer me to his Montreal office at the start of next year. My fondness for New York waned after Columbia U took my building. I'm ready for a change, so I accepted the transfer. I'll rent an apartment in the city and get to see Patrick and Francis every weekend. That will be a good time to see if we're right for something more than friendship."

"Good luck with that," Zac said as he shook Benjamin's hand. "We should do something big for New Years Eve, if that's your last day in the States."

"How about going to Times Square to watch the ball drop. I'll tell Isabella to get the whole gang together."

"I've got to run that plan by Elan and Parnella, but I'm sure they'll like the idea," Zac said. "It's getting a bit chilly. Do you want to head down?"

"Yeah. I should head home soon and get ready for the move," Benjamin said before they walked inside.

jtuf
jtuf
19 Followers